The Chateau Diaries - Stephanie Jarvis

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I did love those mustard chairs though and I think at some point the rooms will be curated and the surplus furniture redeployed in other parts of the chateau. I think Stephanie probably didn't want to say no to Philippe although I think I'd find it very easy to say no to him when he's dressed as a gigantic toddler in those dungarees!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
It does amuse me that Isabelle (I CANT call her Mummy!) made such a fuss when Selmar gave Diesel a biscuit on one of the rugs yet the furniture that gets acquired must have seen a lot of action over the years! I would have to fumigate most of it😬

• Haha
Reactions: 9
It does amuse me that Isabelle (I CANT call her Mummy!) made such a fuss when Selmar gave Diesel a biscuit on one of the rugs yet the furniture that gets acquired must have seen a lot of action over the years! I would have to fumigate most of it😬
I thought the same. Especially the two huge mustard armchairs 😏😳

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Just finished watching Stephanie's new video and reading the comments.
Many negative comments about hoarding and spending money just like that for a chateau already full of junk, sorry lovely pieces of furniture. Someone said that she'll be blocked by them because of her negative comments. She seems to think that that's the way they run the comments section.

Lots of comments about Philip !

I must say that the Marquis appartement is a bit disappointing. There's no taste at all there, only a juxtaposition of not so nice stuff.
The table for example is not that great. It is known in France as Style Henri II and was produced en masse in late 19e - early 20e.
The table came with chairs and a buffet (sideboard).
It was cheap furniture for the upper working class / petite bourgeoisie. Very popular at the time but not very valuable.
And can I say that I hate the green sofa, a recent replica ? 😂
She definitely seems to go for quantity instead of quality at the moment. Now, old furniture can look good even if it was a cheaper mass production. But not how she goes on about it or rather how her volunteers go on about it.
I will say I love the green sofa though.

Reactions: 3
I do feel a little weird about getting upholstered furniture second hand. Maybe bed bugs are not a big deal in France, but I have heard some horror stories. I would definitely get those armchairs steam cleaned before using!

Reactions: 9
It seems to me that volunteers at Lalande are chosen only if they're artists, singers or actors now.
I spied on the château Facebook and look at what one fan posted about Philip...
PS It is said that Cat wants to be an actress.

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 5
Hello all! Finally found likeminded people! I’ve watched the videos from the word go, when they were filmed in portrait and were a lot less ‘produced’ and I’ve really enjoyed them. Recently I’m getting more and more uncomfortable watching. Other half doesn’t get my ramblings as he just tells me not to watch CDs...🙄. Just so I can offload a little can I say..
- I find the present openings vulgar and greedy (Yet I still watch for the cringe factor). Gifts from companies such as Onehundredstars, Spode and all the smaller businesses are not ‘gifts’. It is free advertising.
- I cant watch the live question and answers anymore as the constant demands from fans for thanks when a donation of money has been missed is unbelievable. I also hate the hints for money especially from Michael Petherick-eg when he wanted a new laptop and him and Stephanie went on and on about his editing until a fan set up a fund for a laptop. Unbelievable. It’s blatant begging.
-The superfans really worry me. There are a couple that answer all the questions in the comments and to have that amount of knowledge about people that you don’t know is concerning. One of them lives on the other side of the world! I am surprised Isabelle hasn’t put her foot down about a lot of the recent goings on. She seems a no nonsense kind of character, not to be messed with.
-The comments about Percy needing to be at Lalande is sad. Have these people not listened to his breathing/speaking? He clearly has a lung issue and therefore moving away from the safety of where he is to a chateau where all and sundry rock up bemuses me. I wouldn’t want to be separated from my other half for this long but it’s Isabelle that should travel if and when, not Percy.
Reading all your comments is refreshing as I noticed a long time ago that anything not remotely fauning was being removed from the comments on the videos.
Hello - I agree with everything you say & likewise have watched from the start ... I loved those early vlogs - so natural & spontaneous. The constant thanking for money during live vlogs was really awkward wasn’t it. MP is getting a lot of flack ... I’ve never followed his vlogs ... tedious from the start, it’s a shame because I think he’s talented in a variety of creative ways (pianist/cook/hairdresser/artist) but the thing is, and this is going to sound incredibly snooty, he is not cut from the same cloth as Stephanie. She has all the polish & performance of a natural star & clearly has a different, more privilledged background behind her. Just because her parents started off married life in a caravan, doesn’t mean anything . Nothing similar is exactly the same ! The Pethericks are a million miles away from that .... In so many ways, Michael has no idea how to behave.... he tries - but it’s just not there & consequently he inappropriately asks for things/funding. I remember when he visited the old mill at lalande to film & he said to Stephanie “Its going to take a lot of money to do that up “ ... no doubt thinking people would start funding that too ! Maybe the Superfans will. Who knows. Whether he can help it or not, it makes me cringe too.

I agree with what you say about dear old Percy. He looks very frail. I have no doubt that Isabelle is in her apartment shaking her head at some of Stephanie's recent antics/purchases & ideas .... f’rinstance, can you imagine digging out huge flower beds around the chateau & creating further work ? Isn’t it great to come here & chat about all the things we notice :)

Just finished watching Stephanie's new video and reading the comments.
Many negative comments about hoarding and spending money just like that for a chateau already full of junk, sorry lovely pieces of furniture. Someone said that she'll be blocked by them because of her negative comments. She seems to think that that's the way they run the comments section.

Lots of comments about Philip !

I must say that the Marquis appartement is a bit disappointing. There's no taste at all there, only a juxtaposition of not so nice stuff.
The table for example is not that great. It is known in France as Style Henri II and was produced en masse in late 19e - early 20e.
The table came with chairs and a buffet (sideboard).
It was cheap furniture for the upper working class / petite bourgeoisie. Very popular at the time but not very valuable.
And can I say that I hate the green sofa, a recent replica ? 😂
Great furniture info there ! I agree with you 100% I’m sorry to say the Marquis apartment is an absolute Dog’s Dinner. The sofa is particularly hideous. At 40 euros she was robbed 😉 I live in France & there are some truly lovely things around, even at charity shops. Im not sure what’s happened in this room but it is a kaleidoscope of mismatched horrid pieces. Sorry. Just saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
It seems to me that volunteers at Lalande are chosen only if they're artists, singers or actors now.
I spied on the château Facebook and look at what one fan posted about Philip...
PS It is said that Cat wants to be an actress.
Oh dear 🙁 yes the ‘volunteers’ are in it for the exposure now . It’s beginning to feel contrived

• Wow
@frenchessence If you live in France, you must have noticed that in some brocantes, you can find lovely Restauration or Consulat armchairs for around 50 euros, sometimes less depending on their condition.
I found one in a rural brocante for 20 euros but I need to reupholster it.
In my opinion, these Restauration or Consulat armchairs would fit in a chateau like Lalande...better than Henri II style furniture anyway.
This style :

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I remember Stephanie saying that Michael Potts was happy for his apartment to be let out as he is hardly there. I think you'll find that Ruth is there with him - just avoiding the camera. The vlog last night definitely made me feel there's sexual tension between Philippe and Stephanie. In fact the vlog was all about just the two of them even though Hanni and I think Nati also went to Emmaus. I love the inside of Emmaus but all of that stuff outside in the rain concerned me.

@burnrave I agree regarding the clothing and putting your feet in wellies without socks is grim - I used to do that as a child but never now!

Also maybe Stephanie and Mason split up and Stephanie's flaunting her toyboy to get back at him?
Out of idle curiosity, I had a look at Stephanie's Patreon page earlier. The total at the moment stands at $22,000-odd per month. The revised target is $30,000 per month.

Who knows who long the goose will continue to lay these golden eggs. These monthly pledges could cease at any moment which would skew forecasting a total over 12 months "going forward" but, as things stand, it's an astonishing - almost obsene - amount of money. The cynic in me wonders whether SJ has been a little disingenous in proclaiming her wonderment at this level of financial support.

eta: I realise there's a flip side to the coin (so to speak!) and people make their choice to support Lalande...
In the Digger Vlog while they were trying to dig up top soil from the lake bed she mention 100s of thousands euros a couple of times. It sounded like she was referring to the reestablishment of the lake.

Oh dear 🙁 yes the ‘volunteers’ are in it for the exposure now . It’s beginning to feel contrived
Sorry to be weighing in and dragging the dressing robe controversy on but I recall when Antoine is in residence SJ manages to get dressed every morning. I don’t believe he is ever in her bedroom while she is still in her bedclothes. So there does seem to be a line somewhere. I’m sure one day in the future there will a be a Sundays at the Château Lingerie series! Hahaha

Last edited:
Phillipe ‘s goo-goo eyes are cringe worthy. He needs a cold shower and a sit on the naughty step imo.
The apartment he did up must surely have taken Steph back to her nursing home days? All it was lacking was a Zimmer frame and some call bells. How did such a young Dutch man manage to recreate Alf Garnets Living room so authentically?

During the al fresco pj jaunt - old Dan looked pretty sheepish and seemed to be dealing with it by only talking to Steph over the safety of his left shoulder. Digger man was just totally over it.....obviously thinking of his dinner and much more concerned with getting a decision than anything else. Pearls before swine Stephy darling, pearls before swine.

Love Steph but deffo a case of “Much wants More “.....and she seems to be getting it.....

• Haha
Reactions: 16
The clothes/body shaming of Stephanie is grotesque. A woman is free to wear whatever she wants, whenever she wants, especially in her own home, without being fearful that men are objectifying her sexually (if they are that's on them, not her) and without other women casting judgement as to her motives and projecting their own insecurities (if other women perceive it as "too sexual" that's on them, not her).

The misogyny is palpable - however the fact that Stephanie has maintained good friendships with male friends, ex boyfriends, their partners and children for years and that they all very clearly feel happy and comfortable together at Lalande and on holidays together perfectly demonstrates that their position fortunately, is the polar opposite - they clearly don't view Stephanie has a man-eating, marriage wrecking, sex obsessed "threat" just because they see her in her pyjamas.

It's laughable to suggest that she shouldn't dress how she wants when there are "attached men" around - in case they do what? Lose control of themselves? If any man cannot control their sexual urges around women and the mere sight of a little bare flesh is enough to be unfaithful, or worse, then they have far, far far bigger problems than Stephanie's outfits.

Women are not responsible for men's actions.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
@PeacockQueen I don't agree with the misogyny label, but I do agree when you say
'the fact that Stephanie has maintained good friendships with her ex boyfriends, their new partners and children for years and that they all very clearly feel happy and comfortable together at Lalande perfectly demonstrates that their position fortunately, is the polar opposite - they clearly don't view Stephanie has a man-eating, marriage wrecking, sex obsessed "threat" just because they see her in her pyjamas.'
I also feel that Ian the builder and his wife, and Dan and Annelise, are perfectly comfortable around Stephanie. I think she modulates her behaviour and her level of banter very succesfully with the whole range of people who come to the chateau.

Reactions: 13
The clothes/body shaming of Stephanie is grotesque. A woman is free to wear whatever she wants, whenever she wants, especially in her own home, without being fearful that men are objectifying her sexually (if they are that's on them, not her) and without other women casting judgement as to her motives (if other women perceive it as "too sexual" that's on them, not her).

The misogyny is palpable - however the fact that Stephanie has maintained good friendships with her ex boyfriends, their new partners and children for years and that they all very clearly feel happy and comfortable together at Lalande perfectly demonstrates that their position fortunately, is the polar opposite - they clearly don't view Stephanie has a man-eating, marriage wrecking, sex obsessed "threat" just because they see her in her pyjamas.

It's laughable to suggest that she shouldn't dress how she wants when there are "attached men" around - in case they do what? Lose control of themselves? If any man cannot control their sexual urges around women and the mere sight of a little bare flesh is enough to be unfaithful, or worse, then they have far, far far bigger problems than Stephanie's outfits.

Women are not responsible for men's actions.
Nobody shamed her clothes or her body. Simply noticed her attitude with workers and builders which for an adult woman is rather immature.
Not a question of men not controlling their pulsion or whatever.
More a question of a) self respect b) respect for these men c) respect for these men's partners. In short, respect for the others.
I personally don't care of her private life. In french, we have a word for women or men like her : allumeuse (teaser ?) and it's not a compliment.
And yes, she perfectly knows what she's doing and with who. When Nick's partner, Marie, is at Lalande, Stéphane doesn't show up in her PJ's. When Michael Pott's partner is at the chateau, she doesn't do it either.
Misogyny ? I don't think so. Actually, I struggle to see the connection between misogyny and our feelings about her attitude.

Reactions: 8
A woman is free to wear whatever she wants, whenever she wants,

... the fact that Stephanie has maintained good friendships with her ex boyfriends, their new partners and children for years and that they all very clearly feel happy and comfortable together at Lalande perfectly demonstrates that their position fortunately, is the polar opposite - they clearly don't view Stephanie has a man-eating, marriage wrecking, sex obsessed "threat" just because they see her in her pyjamas.
I have to agree with a lot of your sentiments @PeacockQueen . There are plenty of people who show more flesh in the chateau eg. Hanni’s shorts (and why not?) and certainly in the UK, it’s quite usual. I understand some people feel uncomfortable with SJ’s alleged flirty behaviour but I don’t see it. She’s always been charming and smiley. I actually think she is like that with most people including women. It’s her style. And finally I totally agree that the wives and partners of her ex”s clearly feel perfectly secure in their relationships and it’s just nice to see people simply getting on well, having once been in a relationship.

Reactions: 10
I really couldn't care less what she does or doesn't wear however I did notice in the digger video she kept making reference to it to the digger guy and Dan so clearly wants to draw attention to it which is a little weird. If it was so normal she wouldn't comment on it either way.

Frankly I feel the opinion police seem to have moved in. The beauty of this site is that we should feel able to share perceptions and opinions and at times agree to disagree without labelling or judging each other....that’s where we have (should I say had?) the advantage over the over zealous folk in the vlog comments.....
However....undeterred and neither a misogynist, a grotesque or someone who is generally found very laughable....I will carry on giving my opinion.....love to you all xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I agree, the reason I like this site is that we can comment without censorship. If there’s something I don’t agree with I can accept we all have differing opinions. That is the one thing that the Diaries comments is lacking.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.