Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Pippin speaks out

I personally would love to learn far more about that statement made by Mr. Joachim De Bie, please. As, I am rather confused. e.g, what ultimately has the entertainment industry, got to do with everything across the entire USA?
Maybe, I am stupid, or more stupid OR, most stupid! I am really not sure? :rolleyes:
Although, as always, more than happy to be enlightened, TIA. ❤
Hello Summerbaby! I'm happy to share his entire statement. Here is the link to the Quora post: https://www.quora.com/Apart-from-th...-populations-who-are-ignorant-about-geography

Reactions: 2

Summerbaby

VIP Member
Sorry to derail--please scroll by if not your cup of tea. This is an interesting subject to me (as we wait for CD material to shred). It grieves me that geography and history are not taught consistently in the U.S. (actually, I don't believe any subject is taught consistently or very thoroughly). In my opinion, our entire education system needs to be overhauled. It seems to me, based on what evidence we see from our live interactions with people, social media, news reports, and even watching live news interviews, we aren't all well-versed at basic grammar and writing skills, much less geography, history, or our political structure. In what subjects are Americans well educated? I don't know! It is shameful and embarrassing, but I'm not sure we can say the majority of Americans are ignorant and uneducated. The reason I am suggesting this is because of the numbers of people who receive a private education and/or a college education. You may graduate from public high school without knowing much (the system is definitely broken), but, with higher education (and maturity, one hopes), you should gain broader knowledge of the world, as the first year or so is focused on general education vs. your specialty. Also, having been around many privately-schooled people, they definitely receive a better education than the publicly schooled (and of course, not everyone coming out of the public school system remains ignorant). This is a huge subject and it's not my intent to categorize entire countries or insult anyone. I do believe culture has a lot to do with the ignorance we see. But also, I don't think the U.S. is alone in having geography ignorance.

Quoting a Mr. Joachim De Bie from a statement he posted in Quora several years ago:

"So here is the thing of the United States, it’s a huge country with a huge entertainment industry. It’s probably the most culturally dominant country in the world. Foreign influences are very limited, so you have very little incentive to learn about geography. So for me, I would say that in general, the more culturally dominant a country, the more ignorant its citizens are about the world." Rings true?
I personally would love to learn far more about that statement made by Mr. Joachim De Bie, please. As, I am rather confused. e.g, what ultimately has the entertainment industry, got to do with everything across the entire USA?
Maybe, I am stupid, or more stupid OR, most stupid! I am really not sure? :rolleyes:
Although, as always, more than happy to be enlightened, TIA. ❤

Last edited:
Reactions: 1