The Chateau Diaries #179 The Patreons came 2x2 and were herded to the pens

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@billybudd Thank you for the article. I have never been keen on Charles, and the article reminded me why.

This morning, I watched Charles’ bereavement speech, his dedication to Her Majesty, and his introduction to his reign. I thought that speech was quite poignant, but also somewhat unsettling. There was definitely a great deal of “filler” in the form of superfluous adjectives, as you so rightly pointed out..

Further, I’m unsure if it was necessary to use that speech to mention Harry and further for Charles’ to express his love for Meghan. I find that immensely difficult to believe. The Queen would never have said “my darling Philip” in public, so I found it unnecessary for Charles to use that term about Camilla, after he had just vowed to follow in his mother’s footsteps.

He has often seemed to have used speeches to foist Camilla onto us by singing her praises, and extolling her virtues, which is ironic to say the least. I have always seen her as “conniving” too. That was certainly the case with her pretend friendship with Diana, before and after the wedding, whilst it seems she and Charles had no intention to end their affair.

I agree with you that the reign of Charles could be the beginning of the end of the monarchy, and that would be a great shame. I’m sure there are many of who would agree that Charles’ tenure should be brief and the mantle passed to William, who seems to be the only truly “steadfast” member of the monarchy. It does seem the he and Catherine are the only possibilities available to save the monarchy.

Dear Tattlers, I do not want to offend or cause any unrest here. The loss of Her Majesty id still very raw and will remain so. This issue of the accession of Charles has been on my mind for quite a few years. Billybudd’s post reminded me of the why of my feelings and thoughts.

In Australia, Charles has often been the butt of jokes, which is often a cultural reaction, however he has expressed some controversial and inappropriate words, his personal thoughts and beliefs that have no place in monarchy. It certainly doesn’t help that Diana was adored by Australians, and that Charles was a poor second.

Her Majesty was always going to be a hard act to follow, and I doubt Charles can begin to fill his Mother’s shoes. She really is absolutely irreplaceable.

At the same time, the prospect of a republic is somewhat unnerving also. We shall wait and see.
One of my favourite anecdotes involving Her Majesty happened during a visit to Buckingham Palace by the then newly elected Australian Prime Minister John Keating. Shown into his private meeting with Her Majesty, she apologised for the short delay, asked if he'd been looked after during his wait and offered him a drink, which he declined. Apparently she pressed several times, a whisky perhaps, and was politely rebuffed. Into discussions PM John Keating told Her Majesty that it was the intention of his government to steer Australia towards leaving the Commonwealth and becoming a republic. Quite taken aback, Her Majesty asked why, to which John Keating explained how Australia's wealth and the continent's location within Australaisa lead the country into new realms of possibility. He explained our deeper ties our to Asian neighbours, more trade and commerce with Pacific and Asian trading partners, and that Australian growth and prosperity was not a thing that Great Britain would a part of in moving Australia forward. Mr. Keating apparently said, "To put it simply ma'am, Australia doesn't need you any more."

Shocked at this news, and quiet for a long time, Her Majesty finally said "Well, I think we'll have that drink now". After pressing her buzzer to alert staff that she wanted something, a footman appeared and was told "Two whiskies if you'd be so kind." Then turning to John Keating she said "And what will you have Prime Minister?"

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
I suspect if Fanny was remotely anti monarchy it would only be because she's not a member. If a member of the aristocracy, any aristocracy be it British, French, Italian or from wherever ever paid court to her, she'd jump into his pockets faster than you could blink. She'd lie to herself and call it true romance too. I think she loves the idea of nobility and the aristocracy and is screaming jealous she's never been a part of it nor will she be. Her only consolation is being able to say she lives in a chateau once owned by nobility too, even if in reality it's a farm house pig sty that she's managed to make even more ugly since moving in.
"After all is just an accident of birth that I'm not someone important. Well, I AM important, but it is an accident of birth that I'm not even MORE important"

I've never been a big fan of Charlie and yet I thought his speach was quite good. A bit hypocritical speaking of his Christian faith, and his Darling wife, yet his treatment of, and Adultery of Diana his first wife was, in my opinion appalling. The reason I worry about our new King is that he is very much on board with 'The Great Reset' he is pals with Klaus Schwab, Bill Gates etc. But time will tell.
Exactly.

Fanny sent this picture of herself to patrons-she is sporting a grifted ring
No, it's one of the rings out of that collection of the woman goldsmith who is a friend of Dana and that SJ sponsored in the past. Dana is always wearing her chunky stuff, even cooking

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I have a genuine question…is rolling up a piece of ham and putting it on a bed of lettuce a thing in France? I have never seen a slice of ham presented this way until I watched CD. I noticed her mother made her lunch one day with rolled up pieces of ham on lettuce (when Stephanie was quarantined). I’ve seen it a couple of other times on the show. Just curious if this is a “thing”, or just a Jarvis thing. Thanks!
Isn't it a nursing home thing...

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Can't help feeling I've been had. On the one hand, people like SJ will get by no matter what and technically her not paying taxes or ripping off patrons is none of my business and I never in a million years thought that she would ever have a 'come to Jesus' moment even if confronted with the facts of her wickedness - on the other hand we were kind of almost promised that something was going to go down on Patreon day.

Aw well - I'll keep reading about why the Lock Ness Monster doesn't exist and never has; it's quite interesting.
There have been 'sightings' since the middle ages. Biologists have determined there would have had to have been a constant population of around 20 Lock Ness Monsters to keep the population going for so long, and that is a very minimal number.
If there had always been around 20 at any given time, there would be heaps of bones, middens, nests etc as evidence - but as we all know, nothing has ever been found.

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Waitrose has just delivered my groceries ( uk) and all of their vans with the Royal warrant …must be changed. 🙄
Many people will have money making opportunities out of this!
It happens with every royal event, however sad. With the sad loss of Her Majesty, there will be remembrance memorabilia. Just as there is the inevitable tat that accompanied the Jubilee, weddings and births and christenings etc within the Royal Family. The Brits, for the most part love the Royal family, not in the least because they help them make money. Even when there's no event to celebrate or commiserate over, there's money to be made from the royals. Everything from palace and castle tours with their gifts shops, to the bloke on the corner selling Union Jack's, the royals are, however likeable or unlikeable, one of GB's greatest assets.

Reactions: 9
Are you nuts? This is all a distraction. China in financial turmoil, Bundes Bank collapsing. America in turmoil. Charles 3 will be a distraction to what is going on behind the scenes
Reread what I said maybe misunderstood as not clear enought, yes Charles should be King but delay the cost of upgrading everything associated with it, banknotes, passport changes bring it in more gradually. Thats the cost I am talking about. Locally we adopted the alternative spelling of our town (more in line with Te Reo) the cost to a chartible organisationof 127 members was 4k, in website updates, incorporated society Stationary etc etc. How much is it going to cost a country and the Commonwealth of which I belong has many Countries.

Reactions: 7
It happens with every royal event, however sad. With the sad loss of Her Majesty, there will be remembrance memorabilia. Just as there is the inevitable tat that accompanied the Jubilee, weddings and births and christenings etc within the Royal Family. The Brits, for the most part love the Royal family, not in the least because they help them make money. Even when there's no event to celebrate or commiserate over, there's money to be made from the royals. Everything from palace and castle tours with their gifts shops, to the bloke on the corner selling Union Jack's, the royals are, however likeable or unlikeable, one of GB's greatest assets.
And a strong draw for tourism. Never underestimate the amount of dosh a country can earn through that industry!

Reactions: 11
OMG. That bathroom is the stuff of nightmares 😱
Have we ever seen that bathroom before?? Plastered with a ginormous wallpaper version od Daddy's art?? I can't remember her ever mentioning it. Where did she get that wallpaper? Or was one of Daddy's attempt at going into home decor?

• Heart
Reactions: 23
So since it is Friday night & we are celebrating our new VIP’s what is everyone drinking tonight? I think that I will have champagne topped off with lemon cello. Some hot and cold Hors D’oeuvres. Some lovely Scottish smoked salmon in honour of the Queen and maybe one of her favourite cocktails.
Happy Friday to all the Vip's and want to be Vip's and everyone else. I for one live a boxed Peter Vella Chardonnay. Bottled wine gives me headaches. Cheers

Have we ever seen that bathroom before?? Plastered with a ginormous wallpaper version od Daddy's art?? I can't remember her ever mentioning it. Where did she get that wallpaper? Or was one of Daddy's attempt at going into home decor?
Of all the blogs I have watched I have never seen that bathroom. In the winter don't they block it with a Christmas tree? I thought it was a storage closet. What other mysteries are yet to be discovered?

• Heart
Reactions: 17
One of my favourite anecdotes involving Her Majesty happened during a visit to Buckingham Palace by the then newly elected Australian Prime Minister John Keating. Shown into his private meeting with Her Majesty, she apologised for the short delay, asked if he'd been looked after during his wait and offered him a drink, which he declined. Apparently she pressed several times, a whisky perhaps, and was politely rebuffed. Into discussions PM John Keating told Her Majesty that it was the intention of his government to steer Australia towards leaving the Commonwealth and becoming a republic. Quite taken aback, Her Majesty asked why, to which John Keating explained how Australia's wealth and the continent's location within Australaisa lead the country into new realms of possibility. He explained our deeper ties our to Asian neighbours, more trade and commerce with Pacific and Asian trading partners, and that Australian growth and prosperity was not a thing that Great Britain would a part of in moving Australia forward. Mr. Keating apparently said, "To put it simply ma'am, Australia doesn't need you any more."

Shocked at this news, and quiet for a long time, Her Majesty finally said "Well, I think we'll have that drink now". After pressing her buzzer to alert staff that she wanted something, a footman appeared and was told "Two whiskies if you'd be so kind." Then turning to John Keating she said "And what will you have Prime Minister?"
Fantastic. Paul Keating, one of our finest

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Came across this snippet in an article about the Queen's wardrobe throughout her life. My highlighting of the last sentence.

"Hartnell’s success was matched by that of his contemporary, Hardy Amies, The Queen’s other key designer from the 1950s onwards. For all their competitiveness, both were masters of their art, avoiding the trap of creating anything too overtly fashionable, which would swiftly become dated. As Amies observed in his memoir: ‘Style is so much more satisfactory than chic. Style has heart and respects the past; chic, on the other hand, is ruthless and lives entirely for the present.’"

For some inexplicable (not really) reason, Stephanie came to mind. I don't mean that as a compliment.
I , for one, have ALWAYS loved The Queen’s look. The hats are divine.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Helllo tattlers
After some time away I wanted to check back in find out the goss on those patreon days but it seems like I’m too early for any big news (and too late for the pre excitement 😅).
In my attempt to find something myself, I was scouring through Instagram. It’s not from the patreon days, but about two weeks ago, a guest (I think) posted some videos from chateau, showing the current state of the grand salon:

Just thought I’d share in case someone hasn’t seen it yet! Also I never noticed that crazy bathroom behind the other salon!
Thank you @KitKat_theNewRat! Interesting! Help me out @billybudd - is the Winter Salon not on the ground floor? I do not recall this loo ever being shown. Fanny stated, repeatedly, the importance of remodeling the infamous downstairs loo because it was the only loo on the ground floor... Or is this "secret" loo for Fanny's bum only?!?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
I have a genuine question…is rolling up a piece of ham and putting it on a bed of lettuce a thing in France? I have never seen a slice of ham presented this way until I watched CD. I noticed her mother made her lunch one day with rolled up pieces of ham on lettuce (when Stephanie was quarantined). I’ve seen it a couple of other times on the show. Just curious if this is a “thing”, or just a Jarvis thing. Thanks!
I wondered about that ham too because being dark red it was surely a Parma crudo type which is usually sliced wafer thin. - if that had been served up in the nursing home @C'est moi the old dears would have said goodbye to any teeth they had.
Of course it could have been another cold cut like tongue, tastefully curled😋.......

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 13
@Lochness Monster are you related to Deborah Mitford?!
Its thru my husband's side...and debo devonshire the youngest mitford was grand daughter in law?? Its easy to google otherwise...gt gt Aunt Evelyn Devonshire was also Queen Marys lady of the bedchamber. I find it all fascinating. And the Lansdowne side were Viceroy of India. 1883? He was not very popular! Im very far removed and do not live in the same splendour 🤣
But picturing these people etc etc

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Can't help feeling I've been had. On the one hand, people like SJ will get by no matter what and technically her not paying taxes or ripping off patrons is none of my business and I never in a million years thought that she would ever have a 'come to Jesus' moment even if confronted with the facts of her wickedness - on the other hand we were kind of almost promised that something was going to go down on Patreon day.
I guess I’m confused too. What happened to playing the recording of Nati, shoving a camera in SJ’s face, buying microphones so they could record everything, and questioning her? I guess if Clara and Isabelle really did go they just enjoyed their day since it seems they didn’t do anything else.

• Wow
Reactions: 18
Isn't it a nursing home thing...
Where are nursing homes still called "nursing homes?"
In Australia many years ago, the term "nursing home" was deemed as demeaning, outdated and insulting to those aged citizens in care. The law was changed to reflect this and now all such institutions are referred to as "Aged Care Facilities." Some good, some bad and some truly excellent! The one my Grandmother resides in has more amenities than a 5 star hotel - heated swimming pools indoor and out with jacuzzi, two fully staffed restaurants, a cafe, multi-denominational prayer room, fully staffed 24/7 medical centre, sauna, tropical gardens, weekly tours and excursions, vegetable and herb gardens, massage therapy, physio, a small bowling green, Tai Chi classes, various lectures, an art studio with classes, a craft studio with lessons on crochet, knitting, embroidery, sewing and quilting, a hairdresser, small movie theatre, a shop for selling residents art and craft works, and each resident has a suite of rooms. There are two staff to every five residents. My Grandmother's favourite part is the pub, where every Wednesday afternoon, she likes to cheat at cards and other games with other guest resident friends whilst sipping her favourite sherry. One of my Grandmother's close friends, a darling lady but sadly suffering from dementia, thinks she's on a cruise and never wants to leave. Now... picture all this set against Isabelle and Derek's "nursing home" and it'll make you want to weep!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.