Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Raspberrybrulee

A Donegal summary for newbies.

LaLande is a chateau in France,
Which patrons pay to enhance.
But the chatelaine is feckless,
And with the money quite reckless.
She prefers to party and dance.
@ggyahoo I recognise you and your amazing way with words - so pleased you haven't abandoned us :love:

Michael Petherick's vlog certainly sent a lot of new traffic in this direction - I'm getting loads of notifications of people working their way through and liking things in our first two or three threads. It's probably going to take them a few days to get to #12 though but welcome to you all when you finally make it!

• Heart
Reactions: 29
Hello Everyone!

I have started reading the saga from the beginning but thought I'd post and say hello.

I find myself agreeing with a lot of the comments. Definitely found myself drinking the Smoky Earl Grey Cool-Aid for a moment. Now I have a bit of Fortnum Fatigue and find myself advancing the videos more often than not.

• Haha
Reactions: 28

MojoDublin

VIP Member
💫💫💫
SO I TOOK THE CHALLENGE
💫💫💫

Sat here today thought how hard is this editing Lark ,,,,,

seems not to hard

I can Premier Just like a real vlogger -------what do ya think

interested .........

agent Mojo ...signing off ....had a fabulous night with ye all 🍸🍸🍸🍸

IMG_0143 3.jpeg
IMG_0141 3.jpeg
IMG_0135 3.jpeg
IMG_0136 3.jpeg
IMG_0142 3.jpeg
IMG_0140.jpeg

Ehem... Image designed by Linus. Don’t pull me into design-gate! lol
my sincere apologies .......sweeeet baby jeebus .....
MORTIFIED

ALSO

FRANNY ...... I spent ages on that prose:censored:

MORTIFIED

TOO long down the rabbit hole ....bloody AUTO SPELLER
soo sooo SORRY

am off

LINUS designed the superb pic

and FRANNY is coming in the lear jet

night everyone :sneaky:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28

Donotgogentle

So they took Covid tests and drove across the country even though they hadn't gotten their results back yet. Lol, alright.

I'm not really happy about this chateau crossover either if I'm being honest. I understand it's a small community but I wish Anna and Phil would have kept their distance for now. No one needs to drive across France for flower arrangements in a pandemic.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
This Chateau will never be her's, it will be completed on the backs of stupid Americans who are willing to pay up for a dream of FR seen in a 'good year' movie.
Gotta rant here....

I'm sorry, this may just be me being pissy but why is it only "stupid Americans" that you're targeting here? They receive packages from all over the world and, gleaning from the comments, her Patrons are from all over the world, also. I am NOT a Patron but I am an American and I'm personally offended by this remark. And I do NOT get offended easily!

Rant over...sorry.

• Heart
Reactions: 26

NorrisCS

I would just love to see random fans showing up at the shat-o without calling ahead or being invited. Swarming around, oohing and awing over every little piece of kitsch, plugging up the plumbing, asking for tea, making themselves at home in the grand salon, and then leaving without cleaning up their mess. After all, SJ has invited fans to stop by but only on the weekends but you know how rabid fans are, they only hear what they want to.
And can you imagine them asking... "where's my hedgehog tea towel, peacock painting, gardening gloves, hat, tat and porcelain rat?"

• Haha
  • Heart

Jeeves

VIP Member
Given the number of new members who have arrived here since Moaning Michael's vlog, he seem to have "done a Brenda" and scored a massive home goal. So many new posters saying that they were glad to find a place where they could question and complain. Wouldn't you think he'd have take a lesson from DB? All points to this being a knee-jerk reaction to being called out on his failure to post.

• Heart

Jeeves

VIP Member
He signed a contract and was almost certainly paid for his design work, based on the original idea from AS, who in effect commissioned him. Without ETTC, no-one would have heard of him, his family or chateau or for that matter, SJ and her cast of 1000s.
Now that the Strawbridges have made a commercial success of a range of merchandise, the Trotters have had a sniff of a little more easy money. AS clearly refers to a local artist developing or tidying up her designs - and that is what he is! Despite the adulation of his fans, he is a talented amateur artist, no doubt one of many in that area. He was lucky enough to be on hand and was probably flattered and eager to hold his hand out for some ready cash. Now he wants to come back for another bite at that cherry. He mentions his mother and sister being sacked, but I imagine, given what we have seen of them first hand, that they may have made things very unpleasant and difficult.

He talks of his distress but this has come at a very opportune time to deflect from his lack of output - now the fans are too busy trolling the Strawbridges to care that he hasn't produced the promised vlogs. The things that his disciples have been posting, while calling Tattlers evil, are absolutely vile.

As with everything else, he appears to have lost interest in anything other than asking for money. Nothing is sustained for long, which is why he ended up in France. Hard and sustained work is certainly not his forte. For all of the talents his viewers extol, what has he actually done with any of them? As far as I am aware, he has only had that one commission. He could have used his experience as a MAC consultant in Selfridges to get some work, Nicky Positano does. On his first DIO vlog, he says that he took a huge financial hit to move to France. I can't imagine that working for MAC in a department store was particularly lucrative (My SiL is manager of a very large High Street Store with similar franchises and says that it isn't), so living rent free in exchange for "renovation work" clearly hasn't prevented him indulging his expensive tastes.

I really would like to know, what is the story about his grandmother? I can't help but suspect that this was to be the original pity party (perhaps on the spur of the moment when he was being challenged about when they could expect to see a new vlog) but perhaps the family made him pull back on that as a step too far, which is why he came up with the last vlog instead. If that is the case, then that is more despicable than anything he could claim to have read here.
For the benefit of new members, he posted on Tuesday evening, that his grandmother had died on Monday evening, followed by a few condolence messages. Later that night, the post and all messages were removed.
I was attacked by trolls suggesting that I had made this up and asking me to prove it. (Unfortunately at that time I have been unable to screenshot it.) - I believe this was Ma and Sadie.

• Heart

frenchessence

Chatty Member
Hello Guys and Girls, a few disclaimers up front; I am new to contributing (however, I have been viewing comments for a while), and I am a chateau owner located new CDLL. At first, I was over joyed at the ETTC C4 show, as it contributed to knowledge about what we chateau owners face. The introduction of local chateau owners on the DIY show. Then SJ started the vlogs, all very good and a semi-true reflection of life here. However, last May I contacted her regarding the gift giving. Expressed my concerns of the distaste of it, and the additional begging of MP and Marie. I was immediately attacked by idiots on her comment section. However, SJ herself seemed to be taking it on board via messages. TBH I was only communicated with as she knew I was a local chateau owner.

The situation we chateau’s (as mentioned previously) is they are money pits – you enter into this relationship (with the beast of a house) with full knowledge of this. Baseline is, she has been there 15 years and little structural work has been completed. Way too much money is spent on surface nonsense. Additionally, the privileged and moneyed background is screaming out to be disclosed, which Tattle has done. If she was as poor as she proclaims there are grants from AHAN which go to restoring old buildings. You can assess this money if you are of a low income. In assessing these grants you must disclose all income, for Miss SJ not to be able to avail herself of these grants means she is well above the threshold of income which a normal chateau owner would be.

As to a tax situation re Patreon income, this will be, as of yet be declared, as under FR law it is, as of yet not covered. Workaways have been removed, again for the legal reasons surrounding employing people in FR. The hours they worked etc. would have made them employees under FR law.

I also highlighted the jumping on the money train by MP and Marie; whilst I am sure are nice people this was tasteless and low behaviour. They are all fully aware the vast majority of people who are donating are vulnerable people for a variety of reasons. Therefore, after seeing the ‘hinting’ for items on vlogs I ceased to watch. Marie, again I have communicated with, and she is quite a rude person, trying to give allowance for cultural differences. However, she has never held down a job and is emotionally suspended in childhood. Also, why is she paying rent on stables, when she is compensating SJ with cooking and cleaning? MK vlog on D&A, legally speaking he did not mention the names therefore one could argue himself out of a legal fight. This would not go to court but a settlement talks. MK motives were quite simple, to damage another brand that he and SJ hope to replace. D&A will not retaliate as they will face many a CR claim to come whilst they are expanding their brand. MK incentive was to, in a very dysfunctional manner, enchant sympathy (the pity economy from which he does so well on P acc) and to bag possible sponsors or design deals. Again, this is very common in design world. However, I feel his P pennies would be better spend on a therapist and possible not dressing like a man who owns the manor house, as opposed to the cottage in the back of the manor. The arrested development and identity issues with all mentioned characters are a psychologist wet dream.
Superb additional info. and welcome here. Your comment on everyone jumping on the ‘money train’ particularly Michael and the rude Marie are on point. They all want something from others who frequently have less than they and both of those give back nothing or little in return. In life there are givers and takers and these two (and obvs SJ) are take, take, take.

This is why I was so disappointed to see Anna and Phillipe not only teaming up with SJ et al, but also handing out the begging bowl before they have barely begun. It’s so ugly and offensive.

Am so pleased to know there is a chateau owner out there with principles (and no begging bowl) who was prepared to advise and challenge the grab grab grab of SJ and Marie. Well done. Seriously a good move

Not at all surprised to learn Floral Roadkill is rude, even allowing for a language difference, her surly, sulky nature cannot be disguised, no matter how faux-happy she appears from time to time nor what she dresses up in.

• Heart

FrankieG

I have got to say that, while some posts here have made me cringe, others have made me laugh out loud (in a good way). This site is way more entertaining that the vlogs. Thanks, everyone!

• Heart

TheTaxInspector

VIP Member
No, Steph owns the largest share so has majority control, though I doubt it's legally confirmed between them her share is the main chateau, clearly evident. The boys were brought in to cover the purchase price, in exchange they got apartments they could holiday in and rent out. Hence why theirs are almost immaculate, same with her mother. But it is very much hers. The tax situation would be an interesting one, dependant on the country registered. Steph is obviously french registered now. The others, I doubt they are, legally speaking it's just a second home. Then comes the French B&B regs, I doubt again the whole thing is represented as "one business" more likely several with their each individual owners.

But I'm no expert.

The chateau is not being renovated it's being decorated. There is a difference.
Michael Potts paid €89,000 on 27/05/2019 for a 80 m2 three-room apartment in the château, which included a share in all the land. I think, although I'm not sure, that the rest of the château is owned 50-50 by Stephanie and the camera-shy fellow with the bag over his head.

Stephanie's got a siret number (company registration number) for the chambres d'hôtes business but most of her (tax-free) income comes from her activities on YouTube. She's now getting nearly €20,000 a month from Patreon plus revenue from YouTube, which means there'll be a hefty tax bill to pay. Tax evasion in France is a very serious matter and is punishable by a hefty fine and/or a prison sentence.

According to my calculations, Stephanie should be paying €9,407 per month in tax.

And Michael Petherdick should be paying €970 per month in tax.

Stephanie's annual tax bill is/should be €112,884

Michael's annual tax bill is/should be €11,640

• Wow
  • Heart

Jeeves

VIP Member
Just watched the joint vlog with Chateau La Fleur- Honfleur. Here are just a few points for your delight and delectation.
  • On being shown Philip's "Princess" bedroom (Fanny's term) she points out that the colour is SO similar to her bedroom at HMN! I 've been watching the wrong vlog. I though she had the bedroom with the gaudy fluorescent pink painter's tape border. Note to self: Get eye test pronto.
  • She takes a gift of some white plates ( not at all her usual flowery, ornate stuff) which Anna seems genuinely pleased with and thanks her (no effusive gushing) and the Boy Wonder immediately chips in to let Anna know that he knew what she'd like as he's been following her style. (Hmm -wonder if he has had a sniff of a more elegant life style and is about to try to jump ship?)
  • Fanny, having decided that she will have what she feels is the best room - it's green so she thinks it will be like having a holiday from her similar room!) visits Roadkill , who already tucked up in bed. She then visits Petite Philip in his pink room, where we find him ready for bed - in his green nightdress and with his floral chiffon robe all ready!!!
  • Finally - and this is the best bit, PP and LOLL discuss the height of the ceilings, when she says that the height is "Probably similar to our bedroom height!" I replayed it several times - definitely bedroom and not bedrooms, my bedroom or your bedroom.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 25

OhIDontKnow...

VIP Member
ah yes 🙌 they were quite vocal 🐺
💴💴💴💴💴💴💴💴💴
Named patrons were Openly challenged- rightly so
I starting getting a hint of Michael’s problems with delivering on promises about 4 months ago. I was a patron, but when I saw all the LV luggage and figured out he was wearing a $350 cologne, I quit with him. He’s also stated in Patron vlogs that he failed at hairdressing because he started hiding from his clients who needed their extensions dealt with, even though he was making really good money.

Seems this is his pattern. He’s gets where he’s doing well and then just crashes. It’s either a personality disorder or a character flaw of some kind. This latest video was just god awful. I’ve noticed his brother dragging him in his videos for not getting his videos out. I think the family is quite used to his behavior and doesn’t appreciate it. However, he does have a bit of star quality and they need him for that, so I’m sure they tolerate it. As you do with family.

I voted with my pocketbook so I’m not sore. I just don’t expect anything from him, and he doesn’t deliver, so that’s that.

• Heart

LimogesFairy

You do sound angry, and maybe a bit jealous of her free money too? I don't think there's a need to call anyone a "stupid American", and I'm not American, but it is offensive in my opinion to generalize like that. I bet there's more than one nationality supporting her as patrons or simply viewers for many reasons other than being stupid.
A fair point regarding my comment on 'stupid Americans', thank you for the monitoring it reminds me of somewhere...oh wait...it is CD fans attacking people for any perceived transgression. As to my state of mind, indeed you are quick, considering i did state i was angry, how very perceptive of you! No need for armchair psychology as after all i did state it myself. However, why i am angry is not her revenue; it is the plain injustice of claiming money from people when she has it hidden away in trusts and property. I can make my own money, without selling my privacy and that my dear is something i am very proud of and not angry at all about!

• Heart

ComtesseRose

VIP Member
I just watched the Petherick's new vlog "Holes" and then I read some of the comments. Seems that Michael is going to start his own business that the first commenter called the new Michael Petherick design company. First time I heard about it. Has anyone else heard about it?
I only saw it in the comments. I say good for him. If he can help by selling his designs under his own name, and also be emotionally recognised and fulfilled, then good. 💖

• Heart
  • Haha

NorrisCS

I'm sure they're looking. She might think she can charm herself out of this one too, but I doubt it. Perks of putting a spotlight on your dump in the middle of nowhere...

I'm feeding her? Little do you know her. She does not need any excuses for begging, because she does not consider it to be begging. She thinks she's entitled to it all for working so hard and her entourage is too afraid to tell her otherwise.
@Clara Burnett - Please do not describe Chateau De LaLande as a dump in the middle of nowhere. It has been firmly established that it is a HEAP in the middle of nowhere, HMN in the glossary! 😂 😂

• Haha