The Chateau Diaries #101 Dear Stephanie, I got you a gift - your comeuppance!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
... this conversation has totally lost this Canadian ... I have no idea which word was the offensive one ....
I am surmising it is the word "ditzy", which does accurately sum up Julie (bless her heart).
ditzy
adjective

dit·zy | \ ˈdit-sē \
variants: or ditsy
ditzier or ditsier; ditsiest
Definition of ditzy

: eccentrically silly, giddy, or inane : DIZZY

Reactions: 5
Can we talk about the paneling? The ornate carving at the top is obviously meant for a much taller room. It looks ridiculous in that squat "Grande Saloon." Way too top heavy. Bunbelina could fashion a simple (and more appropriate to the room) paneling. And you just know Fanny will paint all that carved detail in cheap gilt paint (not real gold leaf) as she has done elsewhere in the dump.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Can we talk about the paneling? The ornate carving at the top is obviously meant for a much taller room. It looks ridiculous in that squat "Grande Saloon." Way too top heavy. Bunbelina could fashion a simple (and more appropriate to the room) paneling. And you just know Fanny will paint all that carved detail in cheap gilt paint (not real gold leaf) as she had done elsewhere in the dump.
Ugh! I hope she doesn't paint it. Personally, I would keep it as is. I prefer the "Chateau Gudanes approach" to renovations.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
THANK YOU for posting this!

I really love the downstairs loo, it looks beautiful. I'm a fan of the wallpaper myself!
And I am SO relieved the paneling won't be cut down ... I'm starting to think Amaury really is going to make the paneling work. Finally some good news out of la lande!

Now if they all would just stop traveling I'd be truly happy.
I love the loo too! Painting the ceiling white somehow brings it all together. Hopefully they put some glass panel above the sink to protect the horrible seam and wallpaper… that is stupidly expensive. I’m sure there’s hundreds of gorgeous papers that would have had the same effect. SSB is a terrible researcher. She finds the best of the best because it’s easy. I think that she speaks as loud in her mind as she does with her voice- to drown out boring rationality. How tiring. Maybe she does need to travel, by herself… without a camera. Maybe she could find a Walton… or her inner Walton. Shhhhhhhhh SSB, Shhhhhhhhh.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Can we talk about the paneling? The ornate carving at the top is obviously meant for a much taller room. It looks ridiculous in that squat "Grande Saloon." Way too top heavy. Bunbelina could fashion a simple (and more appropriate to the room) paneling. And you just know Fanny will paint all that carved detail in cheap gilt paint (not real gold leaf) as she has done elsewhere in the dump.
Ugh! I hope she doesn't paint it. Personally, I would keep it as is. I prefer the "Chateau Gudanes approach" to renovations.
I heard Stephanie’s going to paint the paneling to match the couch stain.
C60750C8-7262-4A27-A585-8154A00BC880.jpeg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 40
@ lolander I am not talking about their sudden success, I know a lot of people who have more views than they have from one video & they don't suddenly get 40,000 extra subs more than a year after that video was released & they don't use patreon. If they were so successful, why did they have to approach (& use) SJ for advice on how to get patrons? If it was SJ or someone else that got 40,000 subs in 3 months, some would be suspicious. The Fleuries finish projects but have not decreased their patrons or the money they need. Their success on patreon is because Anna is from UK. I have noticed that the only 2 successful people on patreon from their Chateau YT community are ladies from UK & most of their patrons sre from US some of them ike the UK accent (the posher the better) e.g Lisa Vanderpump a US fan favourite. Also I don't think the Fleuries are more talented or organised than the other chateau owners. They are finshing their projects but still want more patrons & money. I think they all manipulate the viewers for donations but 2 of them got lucky (on patreon), they are not really successful YTubers.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
In my opinion the panels are 20th century. The style is very crude and they were made in the countryside by unsophisticated craftsman. There is no way they were made in Paris. They are made of wood panels mounted with appliques that were formed in wood pulp mixed with gesso that were heated - steamed - to soften them and attach them to the panels. Rabbit skin glue was mixed with the sawdust and gesso.

The seller would have known what they were. Sellers make up stories all the time -"it came from a palace and it's 18th century" How silly! Stephanie should not have been fooled, but when she wants something she convinces herself that the stories are true.

She could have made perfect, elegant 18th century style panels from scratch - it's pretty easy there are YT tutorials and you can buy the appliques online. I have lots of them and have done it myself. They even have original wood molds with sharp details.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
Not to derail, but I can't help wondering how many of our American tartlettes have started using British words, picked up from following this thread, for example 'loo' for toilet , in their everyday vocabulary ?
Not me. I do speak fluent Canadian tho'. But thanks for checking.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
In my opinion the panels are 20th century. The style is very crude and they were made in the countryside by unsophisticated craftsman. There is no way they were made in Paris. They are made of wood panels mounted with appliques that were formed in wood pulp mixed with gesso that were heated - steamed - to soften them and attach them to the panels. Rabbit skin glue was mixed with the sawdust and gesso.
I agree with you. But it doesn’t really matter how old the panels actually are, it only matters that they were very expensive.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21
And of course the powder room/loo is not actually finished. Fanny has been saying for months it's because Ian hasn't gotten around to the crown molding. So what stopped you from finishing the painting? You have armoires stacked with fabrics in your attic: why are there no curtains? Aren't you embarrassed by the shoddy hanging of your wallpaper? Why didn't you hire a professional to do that? I hired someone to paper the back of my kitchen cabinets. He only charged me $225, money well spent and I don't have $40,000 a month free money pouring in.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
4 in the morning, waking up and realizing that our heater malfunctions and I can’t restart it.

I can’t even call a repair guy, because my brother believes in the „doing it ourselves“ mantra.
He is to cheap to sign an annual service contract.

service usuall day in my life…
Well don't disturb him he's watching a concert with those yelling and moaning people. You'll have to wait till the morning to get his attention

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I am surmising it is the word "ditzy", which does accurately sum up Julie (bless her heart).
ditzy
adjective

dit·zy | \ ˈdit-sē \
variants: or ditsy
ditzier or ditsier; ditsiest
Definition of ditzy

: eccentrically silly, giddy, or inane : DIZZY
It was the s word that rhymes with jazz. That's the offensive word. It's short for *******, which was used to describe people with a disability.

Note: The word "*******" has been largely erased from popular English usage and is deemed unacceptable to use outside of specific medical contexts, thus reducing stigmatisation of the condition.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
The moldings are flat (and the edges worn), maybe it's just low quality workmanship? The additions could be papier mâché? Certainly the panels have been reworked.

Sarah beany painted her paneling & ceilings with the cheap stuff instead of real gold leaf. It looked good. It's more about the choice of paint and workmanship of the person painting.

Reactions: 6
It was the s word that rhymes with jazz. That's the offensive word. It's short for *******, which was used to describe people with a disability.

Note: The word "*******" has been largely erased from popular English usage and is deemed unacceptable to use outside of specific medical contexts, thus reducing stigmatisation of the condition.
interesting. I don't hear it used here much, but it isn't any different than saying ditzy or silly here. We said it a lot more in the 80s as slang.

Well don't disturb him he's watching a concert with those yelling and moaning people. You'll have to wait till the morning to get his attention
ha, that’s the other brother from another father.

the house owner bought a house in town and moved in there a few years ago. He is a mechanic and a self taught craftsman, but he saves on the wrong ends.

Reactions: 5
And of course the powder room/loo is not actually finished. Fanny has been saying for months it's because Ian hasn't gotten around to the crown molding. So what stopped you from finishing the painting? You have armoires stacked with fabrics in your attic: why are there no curtains? Aren't you embarrassed by the shoddy hanging of your wallpaper? Why didn't you hire a professional to do that? I hired someone to paper the back of my kitchen cabinets. He only charged me $225, money well spent and I don't have $40,000 a month free money pouring in.
not quite finished, BUT you can use the toilet and wash your hands, so that's something! The bits left are minor!

Reactions: 9
interesting. I don't hear it used here much, but it isn't any different than saying ditzy or silly here. We said it a lot more in the 80s as slang.
******* or the medical term ******* paralysis is an old-fashioned and now offensive name for a person who has cerebral palsy. It was slang for a clumsy, incapable, or incompetent person. Taboo now, though yes, the shortened version was popular in the 80s.

Completely different from ditzy or silly, neither are medical conditions! Well, if they were, you'd hope there was a cure! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 6
not quite finished, BUT you can use the toilet and wash your hands, so that's something! The bits left are minor!
Yeah that's what annoyed me when Fanny said it was the coving holding everything up. No the coving didn't stop the toilet being plumbed in or the hand basin. That should have been done so you could at least use the toilet and then decorate later

Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.