Taylor Swift #44 You should see your faces!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
View attachment 2888575
oooft, controversial maybe but on the surface I do agree with this! That all her stans want is more gossip and “tea” as opposed to what she’s actually saying. However, I don’t think she helps herself either by making clear links to people either. I’m back and forth, because people did it even for her more “fictional” albums - I did it too admittedly and I stand by “tolerate it” at least being inspired by something she felt while with Joe (I didn’t know it was supposed to be a fictional album when I first heard it!) I don’t think she can win whatever she does, so maybe now she’s like “duck it, here’s the gossip” as the “I’m having his baby, no I’m not” to me reads like when there were rumours about her getting married in secret etc. idk, what’s everyone’s thoughts?
I don’t think Taylor can blame people for talking about her exes when she not only makes the songs so specific and drops hints as to who they are, but she’s built her whole career on it.
She probably wouldn’t be nearly as successful if her albums weren’t such a huge source of gossip.
And she’s deliberately fed right into it, ever since the Joe Jonas song on fearless

Reactions: 18
I've had to take a break from listening as feel so emotionally exhausted by this album! It's some of my favourite work of hers but it is not easygoing. Feel like it will take me weeks and months to truly absorb it all.

Reactions: 7
I get it but this album is barely 48 hours old. There's a hell of a lot to unpack and talking about which song is which man (or woman) is easy and surface level and gossip is fun. It would also be incorrect to not acknowledge that it's about two break ups and the fallout of that. Yes, there's a lot of feelings alongside that but those events are the crux.

I think people are expecting to have all the thoughts they'll ever have about this album instantly. Give yourself and others some patience. Our minds will change. I haven't even decided if I *like* this album yet.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I don’t think Taylor can blame people for talking about her exes when she not only makes the songs so specific and drops hints as to who they are, but she’s built her whole career on it.
She probably wouldn’t be nearly as successful if her albums weren’t such a huge source of gossip.
And she’s deliberately fed right into it, ever since the Joe Jonas song on fearless
Yeah that’s what I mean! It’s such a weird feeling because she does feed into it. But then again, lots of artists do it but don’t get the same heat. I’m thinking lemonade by Beyonce, and then her cover of Jolene is still “bringing it up” but no one says she’s rehashing stuff? I enjoy pop culture but don’t put much stock into it as I don’t really care about celebs personal life as such, idk it’s just weird in some sense.

Reactions: 6
Yeah that’s what I mean! It’s such a weird feeling because she does feed into it. But then again, lots of artists do it but don’t get the same heat. I’m thinking lemonade by Beyonce, and then her cover of Jolene is still “bringing it up” but no one says she’s rehashing stuff? I enjoy pop culture but don’t put much stock into it as I don’t really care about celebs personal life as such, idk it’s just weird in some sense.
Also Taylor is a commodity, and I believe with earlier albums she likely would have had a team around her and been encouraged to carry on writing songs about failed relationships as that’s what was selling. I think that’s what WAOLOM is about - she’s saying this is what I was moulded to be, now people should be afraid to be with me/associate with me as no one is safe.

Reactions: 10
I'll be honest I hope she kinda drops the whole psych ward aesthetic with the next video- psych wards get glamorised enough on social media and feeding into that idea can be become dangerous 🙈

Reactions: 23
Also Taylor is a commodity, and I believe with earlier albums she likely would have had a team around her and been encouraged to carry on writing songs about failed relationships as that’s what was selling. I think that’s what WAOLOM is about - she’s saying this is what I was moulded to be, now people should be afraid to be with me/associate with me as no one is safe.
Oooo that’s an interesting perspective I hadn’t thought of! I’ve found Taylor interesting in the sense that she’s never really bought into the “sex sells” like a lot of artists do (no hate as I don’t think there’s anything wrong with expressing sexuality), but she’s very much leaned into the “relationships/heartbreak sells” instead. I guess that’s why pop in the most popular genre, as practically anyone can relate to stuff about relationships as opposed to say metal (my usual music taste), which is usually about “duck the system” and nihilism haha.

Reactions: 12
I'll be honest I hope she kinda drops the whole psych ward aesthetic with the next video- psych wards get glamorised enough on social media and feeding into that idea can be become dangerous 🙈
Yeah I’ve already seen people making hospital wristbands to give away/sell.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 19
Taylor accepting a Grammy in 2021: “Shout out to Joe, who is the first person I play every single song that I write”

Us in 2024 discovering the Matty Healy lore and the secret songs about him:

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Yeah I’ve already seen people making hospital wristbands to give away/sell.
Yeap, I get why she's done it and I kinda like the music video, but I also can't not have my work hat on either and when an artist as big Taylor swift leans into this it can become a nightmare (we have a team meeting every Monday morning and it's already been added to the agenda 😂)

Reactions: 8
Hot take incoming.
Unfortunately people are going to take things too far but I think T is at liberty to use the psych ward imagery in her art as a reclamation. I don't think it would be a stretch to say she might have spent time in some kind of psychiatric hold/rehab. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that we're lucky she's still here. As I said yesterday, I don't think you can reach her level of fame (at a nearly constant level since she was 16) without being mentally ill. There's so much we are never going to know.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I find it incredibly distasteful of her. Especially as she seems dismissive of therapy. Especially as her long term ex boyfriend struggled/struggles massively with depression.

I also don't understand the true Visual concept behind this album, bar Matty Healy, it doesn't gel. It's a mishmash of Poet/Academia vs Insane Asylum vs Court Case plus the album visuals not adding up to any of them makes me feel like she couldn't decide which way she wanted to go with it. And I'm going to be honest, I think all the pulling in of super famous and iconic people like Stevie Nicks, Ethan Hawke etc. is just her new "girl squad" mean girl coming out in a different form. I dislike that aspect a lot.
---
Taylor accepting a Grammy in 2021: “Shout out to Joe, who is the first person I play every single song that I write”

Us in 2024 discovering the Matty Healy lore and the secret songs about him:
Yeah.... Joe had to have know even if she thought she was being clever about it😬

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Hot take incoming.
Unfortunately people are going to take things too far but I think T is at liberty to use the psych ward imagery in her art as a reclamation. I don't think it would be a stretch to say she might have spent time in some kind of psychiatric hold/rehab. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that we're lucky she's still here. As I said yesterday, I don't think you can reach her level of fame (at a nearly constant level since she was 16) without being mentally ill. There's so much we are never going to know.
The type of place Taylor would of spent time (if she did) is a world away from the reality of most the do end up in psych wards/rehab, especially for the not rich in the UK (I can only speak for the UK as I've never worked mental health in the USA)

The type of place Taylor would of spent time (if she did) is a world away from the reality of most the do end up in psych wards/rehab, especially for the not rich in the UK (I can only speak for the UK as I've never worked mental health in the USA)
yes but she doesn’t write music for the upper classes
---
Hot take incoming.
I keep coming back to that thing Jack said in Glasgow when I went to see the bleachers. How he compared their slowly rise to someone who got huge at 14 and then lost their mind because it’s millions of people screaming their name. At the time I thought he was giving us tea that wasn’t necessarily his to give but it all makes sense now.

Reactions: 5
If someone is gonna tell me daylight and Cornelia street are actually about Matty I will genuinely just cease to exist

• Haha
yes but she doesn’t write music for the upper classes
I was going to say, the average consumer is not going to understand that. The average person is going to need things spelled out for them. And Taylor loves pleasing the masses.

The amount of people I've seen complain about the "asylum where they raised me" because they're taking it literally/at face value is astounding.

Reactions: 6
Did anyone else see Patti Smiths insta post yesterday saying she was honoured to be mentioned by Taylor and in the company of Dylan Thomas?

my love for that woman knows no bounds. For a legend she is so humble and gracious ❤

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I was going to say, the average consumer is not going to understand that. The average person is going to need things spelled out for them. And Taylor loves pleasing the masses.

The amount of people I've seen complain about the "asylum where they raised me" because they're taking it literally/at face value is astounding.
also she’s giving us visuals from the Victorian times too so it’s more palatable
---
Did anyone else see Patti Smiths insta post yesterday saying she was honoured to be mentioned by Taylor and in the company of Dylan Thomas?

my love for that woman knows no bounds. For a legend she is so humble and gracious ❤
omg I saw her with my mum couple of years ago but we had separate seats as I got her tickets last minute and she came up to my mum and they were dancing together for a bit it broke my heart ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.