Strictly Come Dancing 2023 #30

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Genuine question - not being aggy, but what amount of experience do people think would be the bar for someone not being able to compete on strictly?

We've had lots of people with experience of some shape or form over the years - westend performers, girl/boy band members, ex stage school, dance trained, etc. Caroline Flack won it despite having been danced trained (albeit not ballroom and Latin, I don't think) but I think the fact she wasn't actively working in a job that involved some form of dancing helpedher.

I don't mind people with experience being in the mix. I'd probably draw the line at someone like Scarlett Moffat who competed as a ballroom dancer in her teens. How much experience does everyone think is too much experience?

Reactions: 6
Genuine question - not being aggy, but what amount of experience do people think would be the bar for someone not being able to compete on strictly?

We've had lots of people with experience of some shape or form over the years - westend performers, girl/boy band members, ex stage school, dance trained, etc. Caroline Flack won it despite having been danced trained (albeit not ballroom and Latin, I don't think) but I think the fact she wasn't actively working in a job that involved some form of dancing helpedher.

I don't mind people with experience being in the mix. I'd probably draw the line at someone like Scarlett Moffat who competed as a ballroom dancer in her teens. How much experience does everyone think is too much experience?
I would only draw the line at somebody with extensive ballroom or Latin training, especially somebody who had competed. Doing a bit of amateur dancesport ballroom and Latin like Hamza did is fine, just experience and training that would be similar to that of a pro.

I may be alone in by this but I also don't like anyone taking part who's already done Strictly Children In Need or a Christmas special. I think that's not really fair as you already have an insight into the training and how the show works.

For me, I don’t mind if someone has dance experience and is honest about it. I find things like Denise van Outen ‘only sat on a chair’ quite annoying.
Performance skills help to sell a dance, even without formal dance training. So that usually helps actors/singers and comedians. The contestants who have previously learned dance routines probably do have a head start, but it doesn’t necessarily follow that they will be good at Latin and ballroom.
I like Strictly to have a mixture of abilities, ages, and personalities. I think they usually get the balance right.

Reactions: 9
The bloody DM long lens again - the show needs to really do something about this..

Have to say though, my interest was piqued at the sentence: ' Vito was even snapped whipping off his shirt as things became more intense during the saucy session', but it looks like he just took off a t-shirt and had his vest on! was hoping for him to whip off his shirt during the Dua Lipa medley!

Well Nikita whipped his shirt off to Dua Lipa so there is precedence there 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 7
For me, I don’t mind if someone has dance experience and is honest about it. I find things like Denise van Outen ‘only sat on a chair’ quite annoying.
Performance skills help to sell a dance, even without formal dance training. So that usually helps actors/singers and comedians. The contestants who have previously learned dance routines probably do have a head start, but it doesn’t necessarily follow that they will be good at Latin and ballroom.
I like Strictly to have a mixture of abilities, ages, and personalities. I think they usually get the balance right.
Same here.

If they were all duds, or all fantastic it wouldn't be much fun as a viewer.
I like when someone is a bit of a surprise too. Better than what they were expected to be, I mean.

Reactions: 8
I like the ringers, I'd only draw the line at people who are active professional dancers and that's all they are known for. If they walk down the stairs at the start of the show and can't be introduced by Alan Dedicoat as anything other than a 'dancer', then maybe too much. At least Ashley was a singer and Layton an actor.

Reactions: 5
I've liked Ellie since the launch show when she shouted Oh No at getting the Jive :ROFLMAO: She's admitted herself she's shy but I see that she has a lot of humour, a fairly quick Wit especially when teasing Vito and overall she comes across as a lovely likeable person.
Sure she's quite and more introverted but why does she need to be anything more? No one was complaining about Nigel and his tendency to be less in your face than say the likes of Adam.

• Haha
Reactions: 16

Caroline was probably the biggest ringer … she had taken part in a celeb/non celeb sister show … Dancing on Wheels (where a celeb was paired with a wheelchair user) to do ballroom and Latin routines. They were taught and choreographed by Kristina and Brian and judged by the Jordan’s. Caroline and partner won and the prize was to represent the UK in the European championships.

In the olden days. If a celeb had done any of the one off specials, they had their training time docked, didn’t get the same partner and weren’t allowed to the dance they had done in the Special (it’s why Harry Judd didnt do the paso on the main show).

I do remember Scott Maslen’s proud mum giving ITT some photos of him as a kid done up in a ballroom tail suit which were shown once and never alluded to again. it was around the time Scott started to fade away to nothing, so no one made much of it.

Reactions: 7
I would love to see Aidan Turner on Strictly (loved him on being human) but he would have a very unfair advantage - due to ballroom/latin experience even it was many years ago - so that is where I would draw line.

I would love to see Aidan Turner on Strictly (loved him on being human) but he would have a very unfair advantage - due to ballroom/latin experience even it was many years ago - so that is where I would draw line.
If they could do a ringer one off special that would be great … friend is desperate to see Mark Cavendish on but he competed as.a child in ballroom and Latin before switching to the bike.

If they could do a ringer one off special that would be great … friend is desperate to see Mark Cavendish on but he competed as.a child in ballroom and Latin before switching to the bike.
SNAP. Adore him and he’s make pissy Gorka seem like a pussy cat! Definitely a wear your heart on your sleeve kind of guy. Just love him 🥰

Reactions: 3
Caroline Flack was a ringer but one of my favourite winners - not necessarily technically the best but she just absorbed herself into the dance and became the dance.

Reactions: 3
What I wouldn't give to see Aiden Turner do some sexy, brooding Latin...

He is fabulous. He would flirt in Italian and answer Craig back in Flemish and just send Claude all unnecessary With a grin 🥰
Went to see the Tour of Brittain few years (probably more than a few) back and stumbled across him just mooching down a street. He was in civvies and no one was talking any notice of him 😀 guy is a rock star on the continent and he’s ours but here he can window shop in peace. Smiled at him and went to walk by but he spoke to us. May have had to perform CPR on friend whose conversation seemed to consist of ‘squuueee S’Cav eeeggle geeeegle’ and a few odd giggles.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
He is fabulous. He would flirt in Italian and answer Craig back in Flemish and just send Claude all unnecessary With a grin 🥰
Went to see the Tour of Brittain few years (probably more than a few) back and stumbled across him just mooching down a street. He was in civvies and no one was talking any notice of him 😀 guy is a rock star on the continent and he’s ours but here he can window shop in peace. Smiled at him and went to walk by but he spoke to us. May have had to perform CPR on friend whose conversation seemed to consist of ‘squuueee S’Cav eeeggle geeeegle’ and a few odd giggles.
Never been more impressed 😍

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Vito has his kecks down in Ellie’s Instagram story 🤭
oh how I thought you were joking :ROFLMAO: Shame he used his t-shirt so coyly to hide his modesty...
I love Ellie's fake concern over his Charleston scrape when she was practically a Dalmatian with the amount of bruises she had on her on the end of that week.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.