Sober Curious tattlers support thread (Dry January and beyond!)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Honestly I was throwing down on the af booze last year and so I stocked up in preparation. I haven’t opened a single af beer! I really feel like last year was a really bad time for everyone, coming off the back of 2020. Not saying 2021 was a walk in the park, but I certainly feel more at ease this year.

still great to have the support of this thread!

Reactions: 6
The end of another sober weekend for me. Just having pizza whilst watching Apollo 13 on TV and browsing for furniture online. Will have a diet ginger beer tonight whilst watching Green Planet x

Reactions: 3
Still going here, although started one day late. I went for three months last year but this time I am just taking it day by day and not beating myself up if I decide to have a drink, as long as it’s a decision I have given some thought to. Having some very weird cravings though, for a cold, crisp cider which is something I haven’t even thought of drinking in about 15 years! Will make do with an Appletiser for now 😂

Reactions: 4
Being nosey so forgive me but has anyone lost any weight so far doing dry jan? I felt sure I would but nope have gained.

I was snacking rather than drinking of an evening but knocked that on the head pretty early on and started having slimline tonic. I can only think I spent most of 2021 utterly dehydrated and body has finally re balanced 🥴

So not dry Jan, but I started in June due to trying a new medication that needed time to settle before re introducing alcohol. The first month was hard, being summer bbq’s etc, but now in nearly 8 months in. I could easily go back, but I’ve found my taste buds have changes and I’m not interested at all. So it is doable. I think I’m going to continue. The first couple of months I lost a stone, but turning to chocolate as a comfort probably has put most of that back on!

Being nosey so forgive me but has anyone lost any weight so far doing dry jan? I felt sure I would but nope have gained.

I was snacking rather than drinking of an evening but knocked that on the head pretty early on and started having slimline tonic. I can only think I spent most of 2021 utterly dehydrated and body has finally re balanced 🥴
I've not because I've been indulging in garlic bread/pasta/takeaways for something to look forward to in the evening :(

I haven’t lost any weight but I feel so much better as I’ve been able to up my exercise. Plus I’ve been rewarding myself with chocolate.

Definitely sleeping better and have more motivation to exercise.

Nail on head something to look forward to, really missing a Friday night drink especially as wfh it seemed to help define the end of the week.

I hope I can keep it up. Hub had a slip and came back from football tipsy, God I had no idea how annoying he was when drunk so that could be a problem going forwards..😂

Reactions: 1
I’ve not lost weight, defo not. I almost caved today but had one af beer so am relieved!

Reactions: 5
Day 21, only 10 days to go! I should probably start counting down now, like a rocket launch

• Haha
I caved last night :(
Disappointed with myself but I made the choice and there’s no point beating myself up about it now.
I’ll stay alcohol free tonight, and will try to keep it up for the rest of the month

Reactions: 6
Disappointed with myself but I made the choice and there’s no point beating myself up about it now.
I’ll stay alcohol free tonight, and will try to keep it up for the rest of the month
Trust me I was SO close yesterday, I’m shocked I didn’t cave. Don’t beat yourself up, we’ve all done really well!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Close today, I'm staying at my parents and there's alcohol all around and they're both drinking, but no, staying dry. Last proper weekend really as next weekend will already have done 4 weeks and the 31st is on the monday!

Thinking back a couple of years, dry January for me was unthinkable (DRY January?! more like WET January... etc) and I'd probably scoff at other people doing it!
Day 22 and still haven't drunk, even though I've been tempted as I'm home alone and had a family bereavement this week.
So yay for personal growth 🙏
In my ideal world I'd stop drinking altogether, because after doing quite a few months sober last year it didn't take me long to slip back into every day drinking and I do think it's actually very addictive.
I think you have to really enjoy being sober to be successful, rather than feeling you are depriving yourself.
Anyway, I'm not going to beat myself up if I have a few drinks this year but overall definitely going to try and keep the drinking at home to a minimum.

Reactions: 7
Honestly I was throwing down on the af booze last year and so I stocked up in preparation. I haven’t opened a single af beer! I really feel like last year was a really bad time for everyone, coming off the back of 2020. Not saying 2021 was a walk in the park, but I certainly feel more at ease this year.

still great to have the support of this thread!
Yes I feel the same!

I am not doing strictly dry jan this year as I am mostly sober so I think I have had 2 glasses so far in Jan but yes I feel equally as happy with a peppermint tea on an evening 🥰

I think you have to really enjoy being sober to be successful, rather than feeling you are depriving yourself.
This is absolutely key. The unexpected joy of being sober book explores this so well.

Still going here. Not missing it. I'm focusing on healthy eating so l have lost a little bit.

Reactions: 2
How do people plan to reintroduce alcohol come February (if at all)? I'm finding myself getting slightly nervous about it!

Last year I just had a few beers after I’d finished the month. They were not as good as I’d hoped, I felt awful the next day, and I wished I’d kept off them!

Reactions: 2
I didn’t make it either. I’ve caved more than once and am out tonight.
I haven’t drunk to excess; I’ve at least been mindful.
A big well done to all who have stuck with it :)