Sober Curious tattlers support thread (Dry January and beyond!)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We have had some great monthly threads but let's start a little community moving forwards.

All of us are curious of a sober life and the benefits it brings. This isn't AA and some of us are happy just cutting down booze when others are teetotal or nothing.

But here to support each other šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š

I feel like having barely drank since January I am finally not even missing the booze. I have some social plans this month and am not even having the will I/won't I debate in my head about drinking anymore.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I need find my ā€œcuriousā€ again. April has not been even dry( ish). Iā€™m tired of it now, so Iā€™m joining in guys. Have a lovely weekend everyone šŸ’™ā¤

Reactions: 9
Iā€™ve been dry since July 2018. Itā€™s really hard not to join in on a night out, but I make myself the designated driver so that I canā€™t even be tempted.

Reactions: 15
I'm dry (did have a cheap can of pink gin last night tho) and have been for a few years.

I'm not very good at drinking in moderation and i get horrific hangovers.
But the main reason i don't drink is medical. It affects my medication in a way that means 1 night drinking results in 3 days of depression, rage and panic attacks and nobody can be dealing with that šŸ™„

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I think itā€™s definitely time for me to take a break. I bottled it (no pun intended) last night and drank. One last hurrah - Iā€™m stocked with alcohol free beers and not giving myself any more excuses!

Reactions: 10
I don't drink either. Alcohol (especially red wine) was a migraine trigger so I don't touch it anymore. I've never been into drinking at home but I really noticed this in the last year - I had friends spending Ā£100+ a month on booze (stocking up on wine, fizz, beers etc) which seemed insane. My hangovers were hellish too, throwing up every time and I just thought nah, this isn't worth it anymore.

I turned 30 this year and people gave me bottles of prosecco and gin etc that I've not touched and my cupboards are full of the stuff! Doubt I'll ever get through it at this rate šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 10
I need find my ā€œcuriousā€ again. April has not been even dry( ish). Iā€™m tired of it now, so Iā€™m joining in guys. Have a lovely weekend everyone šŸ’™ā¤
Same.

I was doing very well until April then Easter weekend and birthday celebrations plus lots of Prosecco as gifts meant it all went to pot and I have drank every weekend in april. I have one bottle left which Iā€™m having tonight then I will plan to be dry for the remainder of may. I have no booze in the house and I wonā€™t go and buy it myself so hopefully thatā€™ll be fine, I really got into the groove of it in jan/feb and was loving the fresh mornings. Any social meet ups planned Iā€™ll drive to so no temptation.

to be kind to myself, my try jan app still shows 95 dry days so far this year plus when I have drunk itā€™s been 1 or 2 glasses rather than 1 bottle each occasion so thatā€™s not too bad compared to last year!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Gave up new year 122 days sober today and loving being clear headed and hangover free.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I don't drink either. Alcohol (especially red wine) was a migraine trigger so I don't touch it anymore. I've never been into drinking at home but I really noticed this in the last year - I had friends spending Ā£100+ a month on booze (stocking up on wine, fizz, beers etc) which seemed insane. My hangovers were hellish too, throwing up every time and I just thought nah, this isn't worth it anymore.

I turned 30 this year and people gave me bottles of prosecco and gin etc that I've not touched and my cupboards are full of the stuff! Doubt I'll ever get through it at this rate šŸ˜‚
Where do you live? I can take that off your hands? In the interests of your sobriety of course šŸ˜†šŸ˜œ I need to stop drinking but urghhh itā€™s hard,

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Gave up last June ahead of some treatment (which didnā€™t work). Gave myself 3 days ā€œoffā€ for Christmas but mainly had Bucks Fizz so quite light - hit the 10 month mark yesterday šŸ˜Š Am planning on having a really lovely bottle of wine at dinner to celebrate our wedding anniversary in August - God help my husband trying to get me home!
People have asked if I feel better for it - canā€™t say I do although my eyes are brighter and skin better but I donā€™t ā€œfeelā€ better (maybe due to other medical issues going on).
I definitely didnā€™t have an issue but I just loved drinking wine....loved it and have had moments of actually salivating daydreaming about wine but am proud of myself (determined b*tch is me šŸ˜‚)

Reactions: 11
Morning. No booze Iā€™m my house. Everything is clean and clear, so is my mind. Letā€™s do it guys. Right now Iā€™m very very curious about sobriety. I have to be. I drank my weight in booze. And it ainā€™t small šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 11
I was so tempted to drink yesterday but gave myself a proper talking to and asked if I really needed it and I had something else instead.

Something else being chocolate which I am STILL eating too much of šŸ™„

Reactions: 7
I would never go teetotal. I love drinking and I am definitely not anti alcohol like so many people are. I am however, thinking of giving up drinking on week nights and just drinking on weekends, purely for health reasons. I have been drinking a lot recently.

Yay more non drinkers!

I have had alcohol on I think 4 occasions since December 2019 now. Partly I get awful hangovers so itā€™s just not worth it for me and partly I just really donā€™t like drunk me!

What do you do in social situations? Iā€™m thinking work pub trips etc. I just avoid as people can get really weird about not drinking and I donā€™t want to feel like a Debbie Downer sitting in the corner with my Diet Coke šŸ¤£

Very pleased to see there are lots more no/low alcohol options now, I went out on Saturday and had 2 very nice low alcohol cocktails which werenā€™t a thing before!

Reactions: 4
Tee total here! I've never really drunk, had a couple of phases where I'd have one or two, but I just don't like the way it makes me feel.

I suppose I'm a different kettle of fish, but in answer to the social situations question, I just drink lime and soda, soda water, diet pop etc. I don't really care if people take issue with it, and I'm always honest about why I don't drink - my dad was an alcoholic, and I don't like the way it makes me feel. If it makes them feel uncomfortable, then so be it.

I don't mind people having a drink - each to their own - but really like being around drunk people. It's quite tedious.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Hope everyone has had a good week? Iā€™ve managed to stick to my one day a week for a bit šŸ’Ŗ seems like Iā€™m back in the swing, so posting here in case I need a reminder ā˜ŗ

Reactions: 5
I had a couple of days last week where I had a couple of drinks (3 units a day max) as was with friends... and my anxiety ramped right back up again. I'm just not sure I can handle drinking any more, and I'm actually OK with that.
My biggest concern is going for lunches with clients and saying I'm not drinking and how to handle that without looking "boring" or "stuffy"... still working out the details I think.

I had a couple of days last week where I had a couple of drinks (3 units a day max) as was with friends... and my anxiety ramped right back up again. I'm just not sure I can handle drinking any more, and I'm actually OK with that.
My biggest concern is going for lunches with clients and saying I'm not drinking and how to handle that without looking "boring" or "stuffy"... still working out the details I think.
I just get a non alcoholic beer and say ā€œhaha lightweight these days, would need a nap.ā€ Youā€™re still joining in, just suiting yourself.

Tell them you are on antibiotics or have to drive that night. After they have had a few drinks they won't care what you are drinking.

Reactions: 3
I think that if you simply say ā€˜I will have a soft drink pleaseā€™, people shouldnā€™t argue. There are multiple reasons why someone may not drink and you shouldnā€™t be seen as boring because you donā€™t want alcohol.

I had a pimms last Saturday with a friend which was my first drink since New Years. She messaged me this morning to say she had booked a table at a pub this evening but Iā€™m unsure whether I will have a drink at the moment.

I have a friend coming over from Ireland next week and a reunion with our friends. Luckily, these friends know it can increase my anxiety and that Iā€™m also on a lot of medication which I probably shouldnā€™t mix with too much alcohol. So one or two drinks are fine but no more and Iā€™m ok with that.

I feel so much better in myself now that I donā€™t drink regularly and I donā€™t miss the stuff at all!