Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
šŸšØ RECIPE ROLL CALL KLAXXON šŸšØ

We've allocated slop for an incredible 68 out of 84 volunteers (so far), 16 left to allocate but no rush or anything, if you want to go up for nomination (brave), receive suggestions on preferences or just have something in mind already chuck it in wiki or let me know and I'll make the arrangements āœ
Also sorry if I missed your choice, let me know again and I'll add it.

@FlirtyThirty @Yel @Penelope_Ghent @Witchfinder Sargeant @Hold my beans @colouredlines @itsnotmereally @Country Bumpkin @kachoochoo @FlowerOfTheEast @Livia Fantasy @Pumble @Formal Chicken @Funsizes @ContentCrunch @threetintender

@Notmycat could you provide the following recipes from Tin Can Cook please?
Pork, pear & stuffing loaf
Corned beef bolognese
Fraus, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to duck out of this. I'm neck-deep in revision for some important exams and I barely have the time to cook something I know I'll actually eat, never mind slop.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
šŸšØ RECIPE ROLL CALL KLAXXON šŸšØ

We've allocated slop for an incredible 68 out of 84 volunteers (so far), 16 left to allocate but no rush or anything, if you want to go up for nomination (brave), receive suggestions on preferences or just have something in mind already chuck it in wiki or let me know and I'll make the arrangements āœ
Also sorry if I missed your choice, let me know again and I'll add it.

@FlirtyThirty @Yel @Penelope_Ghent @Witchfinder Sargeant @Hold my beans @colouredlines @itsnotmereally @Country Bumpkin @kachoochoo @FlowerOfTheEast @Livia Fantasy @Pumble @Formal Chicken @Funsizes @ContentCrunch @threetintender

@Notmycat could you provide the following recipes from Tin Can Cook please?
Pork, pear & stuffing loaf
Corned beef bolognese
Dear ones I am going in.

Also, Paupers Cookbook?? duck you whoever you are Daisy ugh

Attachments

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
Just wanted to point out that she's using a throwaway ethnic slur there (tinker). To be fair to her, I'm sure it's just another word she liked but doesn't understand
She absolutely knows what it means but thinks it is ok. What an advocate for the dispossessed she is.

• Sick
Reactions: 14
The sprout scones reminded me of this Jack collection of festive leftover recipes.

Sprout pesto or sprout pizza anyone? Not trying to get in your niche @Notmycat but sharing as I thought someone may like to try cooking one of these "delights".

She also has an incomplete recipe for leftovers tarts, in it she explains how to make shortcrust pastry by rubbing in the fat and flour, adding the water and then the next instructions are to tip onto a floured worktop and "knead for a few minutes". There would be nothing "short" about Jack's pastry, it would be as hard as a board! It should just be gently brought together, wrapped and chilled for about half an hour.

Not only are her combinations revolting, she truly has no understanding of the basics (but you already know that.)

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 38
Right Iā€™m going to make this because how can a tsp of chilli flakes make a fckn vindaloo?! Also your grandmas spuds must be as dire as your mama if sheā€™s putting cinnamon on them. Also why say you donā€™t have any cinnamon but then have cinnamon in the frickin recipe?!
image.jpg

image.jpg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 31
Trying my best to keep up but in case I missed itā€¦ has anything been cooked yet? Iā€™m like a kid on Christmas morning reading this thread šŸ¤£

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Iā€™m cooking later today but am gagging at the recipeā€¦.fry chicken livers for 10 minutes??? Then liquidise and boil for another 20? I can imagine the texture of this as akin to wallpaper paste (and will of course photograph it later) and have become suspicious about her picture of the results. It appears to have some form of texture. Itā€™s almost as if she is being disingenuous.

Attachments

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 42
Trying my best to keep up but in case I missed itā€¦ has anything been cooked yet? Iā€™m like a kid on Christmas morning reading this thread šŸ¤£
Yes tender one, I'll be adding them to the wiki as well
Right Iā€™m going to make this because how can a tsp of chilli flakes make a fckn vindaloo?! Also your grandmas spuds must be as dire as your mama if sheā€™s putting cinnamon on them. Also why say you donā€™t have any cinnamon but then have cinnamon in the frickin recipe?!
View attachment 1705921
View attachment 1705922
@sioc she uses 'blighters' to refer to missing cloves here, there's probably slurs peppered throughout the book. That's one not racial but very synonymous with 'bugger'.

Also look at this horse tit:
2 Add the cinnamon. cumin, star anise and pepper, but only half of your chosen quantity of chilli. it is easy to add to, but rather more difficult to temper down if you misjudge it, so I put half the chili in to cook, and leave half to garnish. It means guests and dining partners can choose their own heat. too
This is my aneurysm, mithering over a teaspoon of chili flakes IN A VINDALOO and then saying guests can choose their heat level, not on a VINDALOO they can't šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Is there a list of whats already been claimed - my only dietary thing is that it needs to be meatless but I think theres a lot of veggies here and dont want to clash (although it would make the research more reliable!)

Is there a list of whats already been claimed - my only dietary thing is that it needs to be meatless but I think theres a lot of veggies here and dont want to clash (although it would make the research more reliable!)
Yes consult the wiki table tender one x

• Heart
What the ever loving duckā€¦. sprout scones. I am done. I thought liver bolognaise was bad but this.
Sprout scones and liver Bolognese sound like they should be on the menu at the Regret Rien from Life Is Sweet šŸ¤¢

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Ok I have decided on the pasta e ceci from tin can cook because who DOESN'T have time to boil a tin of already cooked chickpeas for a bleeping hour

• Haha
Reactions: 39
Yes consult the wiki table tender one x
I donā€™t see myself on the list but it may be that itā€™s yet to be updated, or I just cant see it, so ignore me if thatā€™s the case. Iā€™m making rhubarb and custard pancakes, God help me xx

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I donā€™t see myself on the list but it may be that itā€™s yet to be updated, or I just cant see it, so ignore me if thatā€™s the case. Iā€™m making rhubarb and custard pancakes, God help me xx
You're in the early bird no.3 spot dear heart, fancy! šŸ§

• Haha
Reactions: 13
@Notmycat could you please post the book version of Come to Bed Carbonaraaa? Iā€™ve got the one that was printed in the Guardian but want to be sure itā€™s the same as the book one

if anyone else is in a carbonaraaa mood, hereā€™s one. You grate interchangeable cheese over it to finish it and rescue with a roux if it splits. Why rosemary and cream are staples of her carbonaraaas and why Rob is part of her family for pumpkin purposes ā€œthe family pumpkinā€ I could not tell you.

Also, here are Jackā€™s twatbreads for anyone who fancies following the direction to make ā€œa rough holeā€ then ā€pour in the yeasty waterā€ and yogurt to make your dough. šŸ¤¢

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.