Slopalong: Cooking with Jack Monroe

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'll never get over the description for this. It's like Roald Dahl's Revolting Recipes filtered through Black Mirror.
I genuinely think this may be her most disgusting recipe. Sadly for me, Spam here costs about 6€ a tin from one of those import shops for homesick British immigrants (plus a 2-hr round trip to get to said shop), and that's a bit much for something that I would probably end up throwing at the pigeons to scare them off my balcony.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
🚨 RECIPE ROLL CALL KLAXXON 🚨

We've allocated slop for an incredible 68 out of 84 volunteers (so far), 16 left to allocate but no rush or anything, if you want to go up for nomination (brave), receive suggestions on preferences or just have something in mind already chuck it in wiki or let me know and I'll make the arrangements ✍
Also sorry if I missed your choice, let me know again and I'll add it.

@FlirtyThirty @Yel @Penelope_Ghent @Witchfinder Sargeant @Hold my beans @colouredlines @itsnotmereally @Country Bumpkin @kachoochoo @FlowerOfTheEast @Livia Fantasy @Pumble @Formal Chicken @Funsizes @ContentCrunch @threetintender

@Notmycat could you provide the following recipes from Tin Can Cook please?
Pork, pear & stuffing loaf
Corned beef bolognese
OK. I have read my previous post and have cringed my bum hole into a hair bobble because I was pontificating about a sauce that I can make but spelled wrongly many times (I was UPSET) so I guess I am doomed to make something not yet bagsied. Just give me the bad news, any of you. I’ll make whatever you choose, exactly as written. It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.

ETA: I waitressed at lunchtime and studied for my degree at night. Now I have a job that pays well because i didn’t sit about scratching myself while I waited for unearned Patreon income or tips for no service. I sent JM money when I didn’t bleeping have any.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 42
How is zucchini bread/cake revolutionary? Everybody and their mother has a recipe; even vegan recipes abound. It is so terribly basic and tired, easy to make, and cheap, too. You can find recipes using oil or butter, chocolate chips or coca nibs, vanilla or...duck it. Jack's recipes are plucked from the public domain and then tweaked with the deft touch of a meth addict to become truly unpleasant food experiences. Her silent zucchini cake. Zucchini. Zucchini. It looks bleeping awful and I don't care what magic or science makes it good.
It won't be good, I'm going to make it tomorrow and will report back with pictures

Reactions: 18
OK. I have read my previous post and have cringed my bum hole into a hair bobble because I was pontificating about a sauce that I can make but spelled wrongly many times (I was UPSET) so I guess I am doomed to make something not yet bagsied. Just give me the bad news, any of you. I’ll make whatever you choose, exactly as written. It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.
Chicken liver & lentil bolognese ☺

• Sick
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 40
🚨 RECIPE ROLL CALL KLAXXON 🚨

We've allocated slop for an incredible 68 out of 84 volunteers (so far), 16 left to allocate but no rush or anything, if you want to go up for nomination (brave), receive suggestions on preferences or just have something in mind already chuck it in wiki or let me know and I'll make the arrangements ✍
Also sorry if I missed your choice, let me know again and I'll add it.

@FlirtyThirty @Yel @Penelope_Ghent @Witchfinder Sargeant @Hold my beans @colouredlines @itsnotmereally @Country Bumpkin @kachoochoo @FlowerOfTheEast @Livia Fantasy @Pumble @Formal Chicken @Funsizes @ContentCrunch @threetintender

@Notmycat could you provide the following recipes from Tin Can Cook please?
Pork, pear & stuffing loaf
Corned beef bolognese

yeah, like I said, I thought it was a joke and I'll be withdrawing until I see the free ebook. Soz!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
So when are others planning to do the slop-along? I'm going for Monday as i have groceries being delivered over the weekend but I have a couple of things to use up before that.

I'll upload my performative stock take list later and fart about online as part of my 100 hour week.
Monday is my next proper day off. Still choosing my slop and with the ‘spirit’ of the books in mind I’m trying to find something I already have the stuff for.

Reactions: 14
I'm going to pencil myself in for 'Unf*ckupable wholemeal pizza dough', mainly because I've never made pizza dough so an unf*ckupable one sounds ideal (theoretically) and it's a bit more involved than eggy cup. I'll only knead to buy flower and yeast and already have tomato puree/passata etc. for sauce and cheese for topping.

ETA she apparently has a recipe for pizza sauce under the pizza recipe but there's no link to it 🤔
1667600598713.png

Going to use this sauce instead (uses ketchup)

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
“Carefully pop the veg and livers into a blender with the chopped tomatoes, and blend until fairly smooth.” 🤮

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 46
I’m no further forward with making the Lazarus pesto, but what I will say, and I have to get this off my chest:
She suggests as an alternative to basil, mint and parsley pesto that you could try rosemary, thyme and parsley pesto. Her recipe calls for 50g of each.
a standard supermarket pack of fresh herbs is 30g. Can you imagine how woody 50g of rosemary and thyme would be? What the duck would you do with it? It would need to be about 3 packs of each once you stripped the stocks off. She literally has no idea.
I’d have made this tonight but instead I’ve been watching paint dry watching Trump v Selby in the snooker because the supermarket didn’t have much in the way of fresh herbs left.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 41
She has never cooked this, I'd bet money on it. Finely sliced RAW sprouts?
That’s a terrible recipe! Her description of kneading!! Noooo! Lightly knead and shape into a ball is all she needs say. She’s so hideously verbose and wrong! Why the palms and fingers and stretching?! She’s just said it’s not bread dough so stretching isn’t required.
Raw sprouts? I just can’t even imagine how these would taste, look, hold together.
How incompetent is that dough mix instruction aswell? Just faff with it until it’s dough. Y’know-tinker.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 25
I'm planning to make the peanut butter frozen yoghurt but I've hit a snag in that the recipe calls for cling film (she's obsessed with the stuff) which I don't have and refuse to buy.

<Squig voice>Can I use tin foil instead?

• Haha
Reactions: 33
All sheets of materials are interchangeable, dear one. You can use cling film, foil, wallpaper or your nan’s curtains.

• Haha
Reactions: 46
Told my old Harold I’d be cooking one of Jack’s recipes and following it to the letter. His response was “I’m not bleeping eating it.” I love how supportive he is of my endeavours.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 56
Told my old Harold I’d be cooking one of Jack’s recipes and following it to the letter. His response was “I’m not bleeping eating it.” I love how supportive he is of my endeavours.
Sames, babes. I was supposed to be making Jackslop risotto this evening but my old Harold picked up pizza on the way home from work.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 29
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.