Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Observ@h

Slop incoming! Bacon Black and Cheese from Jack’s blog.

Unlike many of the fascinating fraus I can’t cook. I have no instinct for what might or might not work, whether for flavours or methods. So I was determined to follow the recipe as exactly as possible. I did actually make a “proper” spaghetti carbonara from BBC Good Food last week, which gave me a bit more faith in this strange recipe where the pasta is cooked in the frying pan and the water becomes the sauce.

I chose this because I love black pudding and will use the rest of it, I had a suspicion that this method wouldn’t make the best of it. Read on…

When I looked at Jack’s costings they seemed very low so I thought perhaps it was an old recipe. Actually it’s from August 2022. I live out of a Co Op and buy things as I need them, if I buy in bulk stuff gets wasted. So perhaps my individual price items are all expensive. Anyway.
Jack costings
Onion 5p
Pasta 14p
Bacon 15p
Black pudding 55p
Greens 8p
Cheese 53p
Jack’s portion cost is 45p, total cost £1.80
My costings
Onion 3 for £1 = 33p. I must check my onion economy!
Pasta £1.35 for 500g = 27p
Bacon £2.90 for 275g = £1.05. I couldn’t find cooking bacon, used streaky.
Black pudding £1.40 for 220g = 73p
Spinach £1.89 for 200g = 47p mine was fresh not frozen
Cheese £2.55 for 350g = 61p
Total spent £10.42
My total cost £2.42 for 4, portion cost 60p
I didn’t charge for milk, mustard, stock cube. I used fresh milk, not UHT.
46F859CB-3334-418A-BB1D-9ADCB6FDE551.jpeg

Sorry the photos are dark, it was evening and my kitchen isn’t well lit!

I started to grate cheese and got worried about how much I would waste, so I only made half the recipe.
As a non cooking Frau, the method was hard to follow and jumped around. It would be so much easier to see “1 onion, finely chopped” in the ingredients instead of getting an onion and then having to page down to see what to do with it. To be fair it’s a blog recipe not a cookbook one.

Jack clearly wanted to save fuel, so you start with onion, oil, bacon and black pudding “tossed” in a cold pan, with plenty of salt and pepper. I never heard of salting and peppering at this stage but what do I know.
74BE314B-DF2D-42BD-B81C-D41C524290FE.jpeg

I kept strictly to the timings so these ingredients got 4 minutes of heat. It was enough for the bacon and onion but not for the black pudding, which should be crispy.

74F784C8-56BD-4ADA-A833-18AAE01BB10A.jpeg

283AC1F3-DD6F-4EEA-85DF-B96D81017C78.jpeg

The next stage is to “swiftly remove the ingredients from the pan with a large spoon or tongs” which indicates they are all in a clump, but they weren’t. I scraped them out and “decanted”. She uses such strange, confusing words.
Then half the water and the pasta go in. Bring to the boil, then add remaining water and stock cube. This is where things got a little strange. I stuck fairly exactly to Jacks timings, with 8 minutes to boil the pasta. The pasta was just under al dente after that time - but I was making half the quantity. So I suspect that with the full quantity the pasta wouldn’t have cooked. It wouldn’t be the end of the world to cook it for longer, but the point of this recipe is how little fuel you need to cook it, and that part doesn’t really hold true.
9687C567-EC8D-4AC9-B221-A410B23F9DD9.jpeg

After the pasta is cooked, the heat goes off and milk and bacon/onion/black pudding go back in to “warm through” in the pan. It did not look enormously appetising at this stage.
1455D71D-ED9F-4C82-9FFA-43EB026B66C5.jpeg

The cheese is stirred through before serving, here are the real size portions:

1C75BBE0-2E37-49BD-88AB-115CC84C4691.jpeg

Sorry for lack of manky spoons but I was getting bored by this stage. See, can’t cook!
The sauce was beige and runny, not super attractive. Notice the difference to Jack’s version:

28DD30AF-9413-4824-880D-921FCD4CA38C.jpeg

You can see she’s heated this under a grill so it has crispy cheese and black pudding. My black pudding was in damp lumps. All very well to give the food a nicer texture and a better appearance, but more fuel used.

I tested it on husband and teen, they thought it was nice. It was very salty though, the stock cube going into the pasta water pumps the salt right up. Perhaps a frau with a palate would have felt choked by chicken stock cube.

Frauen and Herren, I’m afraid I chucked it down my neck like a greedy slopgoblin standing at the cooker! In my defence I‘ve had a day ill in bed without food and was at that “suddenly hungry“ stage. But honestly, this was nice, I cannot lie. However it would have been far better if only the black pudding and bacon had been crispy.
Husband articulated it well - “it brings out the bad side of black pudding”.

Ingredients - 4 - mine cost 133% of Jack’s cost but still seems quite cheap. Although I had to spend £11 to buy the ingredients. It shows how meaningless these tiny costs per portion are.
Recipe - 3 - it’s hard to follow and could be so much clearer. The timings don’t work. It’s worst crime is the veneer of fuel- saving which is fake, I took a mark off for that. But to be fair it did result in edible food.
Visual appeal - 2 - everything I ever make looks like I threw it at the plate and this was no exception. Again, lies about fuel. To make Jack’s attractive version you need to use more fuel.
Texture - 4 - fine for a pasta dish apart from the floppy black pudding. Did I mention the flaccid black pudding?!
Taste - 4 - half off for too salty and half off for the aftertaste that makes you resolve not to google what’s in black pudding.

Overall - 3.4. The fuel-saving fiction is annoying. If you only hold Jack to the standards of an amateur food blogger, it’s fine. But you’d expect better from a 6 cookbook author, which she was when she wrote this.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 74

binkbonk

@binkbonk that was amazing! however it was a bit wasteful of you to hire a professional film making company to do the film, edit and sound production, unless you crowdfunded for that?
Because I’ve seen amateur videos made by Jack and yours was clearly made by a team of professionals
I've been doing 100 hour weeks on that video, please send cashos so I can continue this vital work

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 74

That Forensic Man

VIP Member
Whoa F*ck Dressing

Part 1 (ingredients/costing):

The gang's all here, ingredients forensically measured out.
It said 2 fat cloves of garlic so I used 4 small ones.
I used white wine vinegar with sugar rather than mirin, mostly because I don't know what mirin is plus I had white wine vinegar from other slops.
The recips says groundnut (peanut) or sesame oil, I went with peanut because both sesame oils in Sainsbugs were toasted and I didn't know if that was different.

20221113_010812.jpg

20221113_011439.jpg

Garlic minced and everything chucked in.

20221113_012009.jpg

After mixing it went cloudy and you can see the oils don't really want to mix.
The chilli flakes and garlic have no interest in being suspended in the oil.
It makes 165ml or 9.3 tbsp which is less than Jack's claimed 12 tbsp or Tonkotsu's 190ml (10.7 tbsp).

20221113_012118.jpg

This is a typical tbsp if you scoop around the bottom to get some of the chilli/garlic.

20221113_012414.jpg

Sampling spoon, read it and weep, Jack.

20221113_012503.jpg

20221113_012610.jpg

I tried a few spoonfuls and it just tastes like a teaspoon of sunflower oil (disgusting) but then a sharp acrid tang and then raw garlic and chilli flakes. It gave me stomach ache, send gavison double action-o's.
Jack says "Season to taste, and adjust accordingly – if it’s too acidic for your liking, add another splash of oil. If it’s not harsh enough, another drop of vinegar".
Season with what? The salt that hasn't been mentioned?
The last thing this needs is more oil and what's another splash going to do when it's already 85% oil.
Adding more vinegar will just make the tang more unpleasant, there's no refinement to this it's all raw flavours.
My tastebuds did not "shoot off on an exuberant joyride" nor my "eyes pop and my tongue sing" (what a twot).
She says "sweet, salty, spicy" but HOW IS IT SWEET OR SALTY IT'S JUST OIL ??
She also says "it’s hot, but not unbearably so" but we know Jack thinks 1 tsp chilli flakes makes a vindaloo so her opinion there is completely invalid, plus this is technically a vindaloo then.
It's like she has never actually tasted it and just assumed 1/2 tsp sugar and a pinch of salt will be the dominating flavours like what the actual fuck?
She went to all this trouble when she could have just bought another jar of Tonkotsu, something she apparently polished off post haste? Who are we kidding of course that's exactly what she did.

Tonkotsu looks like it's rammed with chilli, Jack says "all I could remember was the sheer amount of chilli flakes suspended in a sesame oil dressing".
I managed to pour off 125ml of oil out of the total 165ml.
This was still being generous with oil but meant I had about 2 tbsp of what I suspect is the 'desired product'.
From the costing this is about £1.00 to make so costs as much as Tonkotsu per tbsp (£5.95/10.7 tbsp or 55p/tbsp, Jack's 50p/tbsp).

20221113_013105.jpg

20221113_013118.jpg

20221113_013225.jpg

I'll leave it in the fridge overnight to see if the oil takes on any flavour but I'm not taking any chances with this.
Rating: 1 because it's 85% raw oil and gross plus Jack being a twat about food safety plus no cheaper than the Tonkotsu product.
Also it gave me stomach ache.
Now to treat myself to a 99 and put £10 in the charity pot, chapeau!

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 73

Lostcat

Chatty Member
I have never, in my life, ever had a glut of courgettes knocking about.

Carrots, sometimes, if I’m forced to buy a bag because singles aren’t available. But courgette? Surely it’s one of those things that you only buy the amount you need of?
Oh god, Courgette Glut can happen easily if you've decided to try your hand at a veg patch. They are super, super easy to grow, and one plant will produce more courgette than you think possible, especially if you don't thin it out by pinching off the flowers.

My sister planted a round dozen plants, thinking a couple would die, and she'd maybe get 3-4 courgettes off each plant as she was a rank amateur at this gardening lark.

None of them died. All of them fruited like mad in this warm, wet Scottish summer. All of them produced 3-4 courgettes. 3-4 per week.

That's 48 a week, over 200 a month, and they just kept on fruiting and producing more and more courgettes, it was like the old fairy tale of the magic porridge pot.

She can't look a courgette in the face now. The local foodbank chap that we gave 5 crates of the things to nearly ended himself laughing at her predicament.

So yes, Courgette Glut is a thing, if you don't read the directions on how many to plant on the little seed packet. Next year she's going to try tomatos and potatoes instead.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 72

That Forensic Man

VIP Member
Not made the pizza yet but dropping the ingredients and costing before I lose the receipt.
I've never made dough let alone pizza dough so this should be a fair test.
Unfortunately I did not find any "super excellent" bargains, there was no cheap sugar in stock and no cheap wholemeal flour option, although my 'larder' came through for quite a few ingredients.

Unf*ckupable wholemeal pizza dough
120g wholemeal flour, 8p (95p/1.5kg) - actual 23p (£1.95/1kg)
120g plain flour, 5p (Basics, 55p/1.5kg) - actual 19p (£1.60/1kg)
5g dried active yeast, 2p (65p/125g) - actual 5p (£1.20/125g)
1/2 tsp salt (optional) - larder
1 tbsp oil (sunflower or vegetable oil) - larder (olive oil)

Serves 4 at 5p each - actual 12p each (we'll see if it actually serves 4)
Extras: rolling pin £1.75
Spent £6.50

Birthday pizza sauce
4 fat cloves of garlic or 6 smaller ones - larder
1 onion - 17p (£1.00/kg)
50g butter or 50ml oil, sunflower or groundnut - refrigerated larder
1 teaspoon fennel seeds - £1.00/36g pot
a fistful of flat-leaf parsley - £1.00/11g pot
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar - 95p/350ml
1 tablespoon sugar - £1.70/1kg
2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes - larder (2x 500g passata)
2 tablespoons tomato puree - larder
a generous pinch of salt - larder

Makes a very large jar (so hopefully it's edible)
Extras: Crushed chillies 85p/28g pot - these were for a different Jack sauce I was considering so bought in error
Spent £5.67

Total spent £12.17

20221106_182108.jpg

20221106_181909.jpg

Pudding
Viennetta chocolate yule log £1.65
For a moment I thought there was none in stock and I was going to do a heckin chaos but on closer inspection I'm just lying.

20221106_145355.jpg

ETA forgot to mention but eggy cup was in tribute to @Notmycat for providing us with many copies of book recipes, chapeau!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 72

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
@binkbonk that was amazing! however it was a bit wasteful of you to hire a professional film making company to do the film, edit and sound production, unless you crowdfunded for that?
Because I’ve seen amateur videos made by Jack and yours was clearly made by a team of professionals

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 71

Magwitch

Dear hearts, you are doing amazing work and I salute you.

As hilarious as the slopalong is, I too have become increasingly angry at the absurdity of these 'recipes'. I'm an ex publishing frau who has edited many cookery books (by people who can actually cook and write) and I'm beyond shocked at her publishers. I haven't worked in the industry for more than ten years, but I feel sure that things cannot have changed so much that they have let her get away with this. In my day, we never tested recipes (we didn't have the rescources and our authors were contractually obliged to test them themselves) BUT we sure as hell queried anything and everything that sounded even slightly off. The fact that such basic, obvious things like heating up the oil in the pan first have been missed is ridiculously incompetant.

Ninnies, may I softly, gently suggest that those of you who have attempted the slop consider contacting Bluebird with your results? Maybe minus the photos of the biro tats and lines of powder (as funny as they are, it would give them reason to dismiss our concerns) and with particular emphasis on the abysmal nutritional content, which is the worse thing about her grift. I have contemplated linking the threads in an email to them, but they wouldn't bother to grunk through them. It's too late, of course, for them to do anything about the already published nonsense, but it may help to sway them against commissioning another. It is worth a try, I feel, if any of you feel so inclined.

Bluebird is part of Pan Macmillan. Email is: [email protected]

• Heart
Reactions: 70

Potatoes O’Houlihan

Sardine Rillettes
A6FD8095-0D55-4D5C-9DBD-A33DBD78CB48.jpeg

I actually bought this book just for this recipe alone because I’m sure she was bigging it up on Twitter ages ago - I can’t find any mention of it now though. But anyway, when I read the rest of the recipes I felt horror so I didn’t trust the book at all and never actually made the rillettes until now.

Ingredients:
AA0711E5-3D9D-403A-891F-ACEF516C82C6.jpeg

Basically it’s all free, of course, because I had all these things in already so I spent 39p on the sardines from Aldi however I noticed the price has gone up in the past 2 weeks to 43p, goodness me. Here ya go, Jacquie Babes, put that in your Visceral Bouncey Inhaler.

I used curly parsley because all parsleys are interchangeable, yes?! Oh and I halved the recipe quantities in case it was horrendous.

I hate fish skin so I scraped as much as I could away and removed the bones. Bit gross but I’m not squeamish:

5C1284D6-8F82-4E07-AB5D-3DD22AC51C7B.jpeg

Chopped the onion and parsley very finely as you can see - the onions I put in lovely lines so you can see how wonderfully finely I chopped them ...wait, what are you inferring?!

61D2CB08-DB26-4B89-9548-492210136FF2.jpeg

I mashed the sardines with a fork as directed

CE4DDEB7-FCCE-493B-A65C-657993AC9207.jpeg

I mixed in the onions and parsley, added the lemon zest and juice, mixed again.

The recipe said to keep the oil from the sardines, so I did.

12657080-89C0-4B56-9780-C95221A0EF6A.jpeg

The recipe states it should form a rough paste.
It didn’t.
It remained dry and fibrous. It did not come together so couldn’t be ‘spread’.
At this point I instinctively added the oil from the tin to bind it, whereupon it looked like a pate. I assumed that she must have wanted the oil added but there’s no mention of adding it in the recipe. All it says is ‘keep the oil’.

Anyway, finished product:

EA4F3B47-4FEA-4DF2-BF4D-6AF2F1F4DF43.jpeg

Yes it looks like Sheba cat food but it was REALLY NICE. And I did gobble it up like a greedy goblin. I almost rushed here to rate it a 5 but a) I cannot ever bring myself to describe anything as an ‘ovary groaner’ and b) irritation set in about the oil...I doubt it should have been added but it needed something to bring it into a paste/pate.

Research online suggests cream cheese or sour cream is added to rillettes so I decided to do it again, sticking to the book’s instructions.

Results below:

CC3B1DB2-4AF4-41F0-971E-3A8B7204B337.jpeg

From bottom left, going clockwise with a bit formed so you can see how it binds and next to it, how a small amount ‘spreads’ .

1 Jack’s recipe, no oil or cream cheese , it is dry and crumbly. Still edible but it’s not spreadable, more ‘pile-able’

2. When I added the oil. It’s more spreadable and tasty, colour is a bit off putting but that’s a minor mither

3. I added a bit of cream cheese to bind. Looks lighter, more appealing (I think, anyway!) and is more of a pate. Spreads nicely, very tasty. I like!

Conclusion: realistically this is a super cheap, healthy, accessible recipe idea and makes a satisfying savoury lunch when eaten with toast/crackers or even crisps. However the recipe is faulty, I don’t believe it’s been tested and it’s certainly not an original idea - might also warrant an S for stolen but if she has stolen it, she’s not stolen it very well 🤣

Really hard to rate it because it is worthy of an ‘inhale greedily’ but because the ‘as written’ recipe is a fail, I unfortunately have to award it a ‘terrible’ ☹

ETA: Local foodbank publishes their shortages so I will very happily donate a few items this week :)

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 69
Sleepy Potatoes review. I nearly put this off again, but no, I need to do it for the good of the Slopalong!

I yomped off to Tesco for my big shop, list in hand, though alas, no rucksack, I drove in my BIG car. I got the usual level of ingredient I would notmally buy, i.e. middle-ish, my husband picked the finest potatoes 🙄 I did think though, there wasn't much wiggle room to make it cheaper. Own brand cheese etc would make a difference but not my a massive amount. Happy to be educated on that though, I know I am very lucky to have not experienced true poverty.

Costings below, i havent inluded spices or oil, I think most people would have them in, and they made NO difference to the end product.

Screenshot_20221113-164840_Note.jpg

There is lots of chopping! Thin slices of potatoes, finely sliced leek and the chopping of garlic. I then assembled what I assumed would be a dainty portion each, only to realise I had so much!! More than I would normally do. I had committed to the size Pyrex (not ceramic dish) and so just kept squishing it down with each layer 🤷🏼‍♀️ then the cheese and finally the cream/milk/garlic concoction. It had to be done slowly so it didn't overflow, and you may notice garlic sitting on the top, as it was in the liquid mix, it never made it further than the top of the dish.

20221113_160827.jpg
20221113_162016.jpg

For an hour!! Thats a long time to have the oven on. I am roasting a chicken at the same time which will be used with the Sleepy Potatoes and for other meals during the week but its far too much for a side dish on a regular day (or I think so anyway). Also, as the cheese was on the top it browned very quickly with half an hour still to go. I made the decision to put it on a lower shelf than recommended, I cannot justify wasting a good bit of cheese on the top!

20221113_173310.jpg

I had such high hopes! How could something with these ingredients go wrong. Well, it curdled... it was watery with lumps of cudled milk/cream 🤢 I've never made dophinoise potatoes before and assume this is something similar but really wasn't expecting it. I started to question what I had done wrong before remembering this is the point. The recipes don't work and the person making them blames themselves! I think making a creamy, cheesey bechamel would work much better, but we know Jack doesn't believe in bechamel!!

20221113_183647.jpg

So high in calories. Which is fine, and much better than being too low, but not what I expect from her. And a lot for it not to work. As a side dish, this is the total for the Sleepy Potatoes but with the rest of my meal, chicken, veg, stuffing etc it was c.900cal (I'm an average size woman 🔺️).

Screenshot_20221113-163505_MyFitnessPal.jpg

Result: 2.
It tastes OK and is edible but in no way would I serve that to anyone but myself and my OH. As usual, it's all over the place!

I need to go to bed!

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 69

MistyWindows

VIP Member
Okay, I’m having to defrost my sausages which I didn’t really think of, so in the meantime I thought I’d do a little Bollock Sausage review.
I thought they’d be bad but they surprised me, they’re not only 40% pork but also about 40% edible.
For newbies these are the Asda essentials frozen sausages that Jack puts into a lot of her dishes. They £1.50 for twenty.
7802C23F-2DBF-4E79-9207-A2B46A17CC36.jpeg

First I paid tribute to our hero.

As you can see they’re almost as white as my chopping board.
678FD468-C131-43AC-8E6C-0B54AD6DE110.jpeg

A9D9DEE9-10AD-41DD-87B4-7617E3B93878.jpeg

Obviously they’re not going to be amazing at that price, and poor welfare meat is a whole other discussion.
But these are minging, I said before that I’m partial to overly processed food but I can’t think of anything good to say about these and neither could my sister.
The texture is weirdly dry and sort of foamy? They really do melt like Jack says. The part that doesn’t melt is the fucking skin.
I refuse to believe that the skin is made of beef and not plastic, I still have bits in my teeth.
You can see from the picture that they go weird and saggy as soon as you take them out the oven, kind of like a limp dick with a dried up contact lens on it (soz about the imagery but it’s genuinely the best way I can describe it 😂
Lastly the smell! The fucking smell.
Have you ever had a very cheap sausage roll that kind of smells like fart? Well image that X five filling up your flat and that was from cooking one sausage. Why you’d stick these in instead of veg is totally beyond me, there’s probably more meat in a courgette too just from one caterpillar crawling across it.
Not recommended.

Stay tuned for the sausange, I’m sure it’ll be lovely 🙂

EDIT: forgot to actually say what they taste like and there’s a reason why - nothing. They literally taste of nothing 😂 the aftertaste is kind of like the belch of someone who’s eaten a fry up.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 68

binkbonk

Me too. Wasn't sure if it's you on the loo @binkbonk? 😂
😂😂🙈 It's audio from rinsing the chicken

Thanks for all the love for the video fraus, I had been editing it as a typical cooking video on my phone when I realised how much more entertaining/ suitable it would be as a horror trailer. Shoutout to Jack for inspiring me to learn Premiere Pro

• Haha
  • Heart

That Forensic Man

VIP Member
Birthday pizza sauce
Part 1 of 2 of my pizza recipe

Ingredients measured out using scales or measuring spoons, I remember thinking this is a lot of butter.
I followed the recipe to the letter but substituted:
1. a fistful of flat leaf parsley for a fistful of dried parsley
2. 2x 400g chopped tomatoes for 2x 500g passata (but used around 750-800g)

20221111_021223.jpg

Onions sliced and into the (pre-heated!) butter with the chopped garlic and the fennel seeds.
Cooked for 7 minutes, then added the white wine vinegar and cooked for 2 minutes (1 minute wasn't enough to lose the acrid vinegary smell).
I was very careful not to burn the onions as mentioned in the recipe (no meladromatics here).
The brown bits are fennel seeds not burnt onions.

20221111_021711.jpg

20221111_022151.jpg

Remaining ingredients added and mixed well.

20221111_023146.jpg

Brought to a vigorous boil to spit and splutter for 2 minutes, It went EVERYWHERE.

View media item 3430
After simmering for 20 minutes.

20221111_030009.jpg

I figured there was enough for taste testing with pasta plus the pizza sauce for tomorrow so I put some spaghetti on and left the sauce to simmer for another 10 minutes for it to become richer and more decadent.
Once the spaghetti was ready I made a well (a sort of hole) and spooned in the sauce.
Apologies for the very not-Jack portion size, this is a large pasta bowl.

20221111_031916.jpg

20221111_032204.jpg

Verdict: first impressions are it's rich and thick but the flavour is completely dominated by FENNEL SEEDS and butter. It's not a rich tomato flavour.
I was initially going to be generous and give it a 3 - middle class as it was edible to a point but after eating some the OVERWHELMING taste of FENNEL SEEDS and butter was too much for me, it's unpleasant.
So I'm going with 2 - terrible as a pasta sauce, Jack does say it doubled up as a pasta sauce for the next day but it's really overwhelming.
It's basically fennel sauce.
We'll see how it does as the intended pizza sauce next.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha

VeniVidiVicki

VIP Member
@Fleasyweezy she alleged that the rinsing hoops/beans thing was because she was tasked with coming up with creative ideas for hoops and beans from a food bank. Then it transpired (and I can hear you gasping in shock from here) that was a lie.

As for making things you know aren’t going to work, I cannot pretend I didn’t have to grit my teeth when I poured that horse spunk all over the lasagne. I knew it wasn’t going to become magic béchamel in the oven. But I have to prove it was bullshit. And now I have.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 67

Lazarus

VIP Member
Does anyone want to tackle Mumma Jack’s BEST EVER Chilli?
This is the Ramsey version she’s utterly bastardizing with her bizarre ideas of ingredients, “cooking” and her bean rinsing. Compare and contrast the cooking techniques!
His comes together quickly, and starts with hot oil. You could leave out fresh tomatoes, sour cream and a couple of other things to make it cheaper without compromising on flavour too much.

I have to think that his might actually work out cheaper than hers as it’s more filling and would stretch a lot further. Oh and wouldn’t be a disgusting mess of soggy beans and undercooked onions with a slightest hint of cumin and paprika from the “shake” of both.
She looks like a Tory MP’s wife who has sent this saucy photo to a Labour candidate she’s having phone sex with.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 67

BlendedSlop

VIP Member
This thread has really driven home what fucking LIES her claims of all her recipes being "triple tested by a team of home economists" and leaving all who taste them squealing in delight are. It's obvious that when supposedly writing one of her slop manuals she sits around doing whatever the fuck she does all day, leaves the actual recipe development to the last possible minute and then just cobbles any old shite together. And even THEN she can't manage to meet her deadlines, hence all the "final final final FINAL FINAL FINAL FINAL FINAL" edits and Grifty Kitchen being almost two years late.

It genuinely makes me furious that she has a book deal when there are countless people out there who are actually passionate and knowledgeable about food yet can't catch a break.

• Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 66

smolscrubb

Delurking from the well (a kind of hole) to say thank-you Frauen und Herren for this thread. I mean, whatever, the internet is *full* of narcissistic grifters putting on a role, but I am E N R A G E D that the people who can least afford it will be wasting time and money on her nonsense, not least as we head into this grim grim winter. I truly hope that someone on or adjacent to these threads who works in media or food publishing is able to do something with the recipe trials here to quietly put her work to bed. Like others, I am antsy that a full public reckoning would only fuel the Tory line of ‘See! No povvos anywhere, only lying single mums’.

I don’t think my soul is stout enough to join you all in en-sloppening BUT can report back from my only foray into flavourtown hell, the “”””Keralan“”””” aubergine and chickpea curry (https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2014/05/28/aubergine-and-chickpea-curry/). Of course it was inedible, but comments below on *why* this recipe is such a travesty. FEEL MY AUBERGINE RAGE.

* Aubergines are both expensive and difficult to cook. They suck up a ton of oil (so not necessarily good value for a theoretically low-cost meal). If you mess up how you cook them, they are inedible - just unpleasantly chewy spongy lumps; not even the bland/horrible texture of much of her food but actually something that can’t be eaten. So YOU WOULD THINK that if you’re going to introduce aubergines you would make DARN SURE that you had written a recipe that would result in an EDIBLE MEAL *and* give people confidence to cook aubergines again. Unfortunately - nein, nein mein lieblings.

* The recipe starts with salting the aubergines in a way which is both a) bizarre (wet aubergine????? Generally you would slice it and leave with salt on in a colander) and b) unnecessary as most modern varieties of aubergines have had the bitterness bred out. I *really* want to know which recipe she nicked / adapted this method from.

* Once again: onion and oil in a cold pan, then a *tiny* amount of spice. We’ve covered the horrors of the former point, but I am SO angry about how she treats spice here. Spices need to actually cook! Not just “a little” but enough to mellow them and make them tasty. It feels like JM is some kind of low-budget artificial intelligence model, trained on the language of cooking but not the meaning. If you're selling yourself as a low-budget cook then surely there's a real educational remit to this so people can get the best out of limited ingredients *and* be confident enough to make adaptations around their own cooking???

* Also what is mustard doing in there? Is this some misguided nod to Ash Sarkar’s Fish Finger Bhorta (delicious, would cook again)? Where is the ginger or the fennel or the coconut milk or anything that would actually give this the flavour profile of a Keralan curry????? WORDS MEAN THINGS.

* How big should the aubergine ‘chunks’ be? In the picture (possibly a lie) they look quite wee so should cook quickly, but ‘chunks’ could mean anything. Also wet aubergines will not easily fry in that tiny amount of oil, ALSO aubergines need to be pretty robustly cooked all the way through before any more sauce ingredients are added - otherwise they’ll just soak up other liquids but just remain hot and raw (like me). “Browning the edges” is a fool’s game and I am no fool!

* Then the final round of tomatoes and cook down, which *only* works when you have a strong enough flavour base to cook into the sauce.

* Final insult: the URL says 'aubergine and chickpea curry' (which would at least add protein) but the chickpeas had made a break for freedom by the time the recipe was uploaded.

Honestly, I made this and halfway through thought I was losing my mind - I am a good and confident cook, and yet still doubted myself because the recipe was so bananas that I thought I was missing something. I truly can’t tell if the accompanying photo is of the dish - it seems like too much red chili for what’s on offer, and yet the aubergine seems pretty raw (see how it holds its shape?) so who knows.

GUTEN NACHT, and thank you for letting me rant.

• Heart
Reactions: 65