Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can someone clever put me down for lemon roasted sardines please.
Off work tomorrow and I need something to make my house smell like fanny, don't ask why. Thanks
Big Keith/Vali Public Service Announcement: In case you’re thinking of making an American version for some reason
189C20B6-0B14-40DF-ABE4-04B3560F667D.gif

(I couldn’t resist, sorry. It’s YEARS since I heard that word 😂)

• Haha
Reactions: 30
Poor you. That looks dire. And 🦉 🍾 at “salty soil”. These ninny efforts are truly heroic

@binkbonk what did the Pickin’ Balls taste like? Did the taste live up to the name?
The sauce was ok, it could have been nice with some more flavourings and it definitely should have been blended. The pickin' balls just tasted like generic processed meat; there was very little flavour, and most of them fell apart as there wasn't anything to bind them. The grated spam texture was awful

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 31
Can someone clever put me down for lemon roasted sardines please.
Off work tomorrow and I need something to make my house smell like fanny, don't ask why. Thanks
Eeeeeee. I just cackled so loudly 😂🤭.

Honestly, I know I should have grown out of it by now at 50 years old @Valiofthedolls but 'Fanny Pack' still makes me snigger like Muttley.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
There’s barely anything in that Simple Mushroom Soup - it’s basically a watery broth with 100g of mushrooms chucked in it. I’d be surprised if there’s even 100 calories there. Jeez. 😕
Not to worry tender one, you can just add 50-70g uncooked rice and an extra 50ml water to make a more substantial meal. Apparently.

@Notmycat recipe request svp
Tin Can Cook - tit yourself smoothie, Lemon roasted sardines

ETA that's meant to be get up and go smoothie but I copied it from the wiki and didn't even twig 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I just can't imagine being the kind of person who sees the way that all decent cooks prep and cook since the invention of the bleeping frying pan, then thinks "nah, pointless. My way is better".
The absolute arrogance is staggering
Surely she must have burnt a few pans and ruined some food along the way, in trying her "different" method. I mean, science. There's no way it could have worked, not even randomly. She must know that.

Reactions: 13
Birthday pizza sauce
Part 1 of 2 of my pizza recipe

Ingredients measured out using scales or measuring spoons, I remember thinking this is a lot of butter.
I followed the recipe to the letter but substituted:
1. a fistful of flat leaf parsley for a fistful of dried parsley
2. 2x 400g chopped tomatoes for 2x 500g passata (but used around 750-800g)

20221111_021223.jpg

Onions sliced and into the (pre-heated!) butter with the chopped garlic and the fennel seeds.
Cooked for 7 minutes, then added the white wine vinegar and cooked for 2 minutes (1 minute wasn't enough to lose the acrid vinegary smell).
I was very careful not to burn the onions as mentioned in the recipe (no meladromatics here).
The brown bits are fennel seeds not burnt onions.

20221111_021711.jpg

20221111_022151.jpg

Remaining ingredients added and mixed well.

20221111_023146.jpg

Brought to a vigorous boil to spit and splutter for 2 minutes, It went EVERYWHERE.

View media item 3430
After simmering for 20 minutes.

20221111_030009.jpg

I figured there was enough for taste testing with pasta plus the pizza sauce for tomorrow so I put some spaghetti on and left the sauce to simmer for another 10 minutes for it to become richer and more decadent.
Once the spaghetti was ready I made a well (a sort of hole) and spooned in the sauce.
Apologies for the very not-Jack portion size, this is a large pasta bowl.

20221111_031916.jpg

20221111_032204.jpg

Verdict: first impressions are it's rich and thick but the flavour is completely dominated by FENNEL SEEDS and butter. It's not a rich tomato flavour.
I was initially going to be generous and give it a 3 - middle class as it was edible to a point but after eating some the OVERWHELMING taste of FENNEL SEEDS and butter was too much for me, it's unpleasant.
So I'm going with 2 - terrible as a pasta sauce, Jack does say it doubled up as a pasta sauce for the next day but it's really overwhelming.
It's basically fennel sauce.
We'll see how it does as the intended pizza sauce next.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 68
I'd been looking out for this as it's the only Jack recipe I've ever made, fairly certain I used risotto rice and more mushroom. We had it with pork tenderloin wrapped in pate and prosciutto, it was definitely edible but then I've also never made it again so that should probably tell me something.
I think it was partly my fault, too much wine (can there ever be too much wine) I used a stock pot and thinking back I think the mixed herbs (all herbs are interchangeable) did for it. It may have been more edible with more garlic, more mushrooms and no herbs.

Reactions: 18
I think it was partly my fault, too much wine (can there ever be too much wine) I used a stock pot and thinking back I think the mixed herbs (all herbs are interchangeable) did for it. It may have been more edible with more garlic, more mushrooms and no herbs.
Nothing could have made it more edible. Don't blame yourself for having actual cooking skills.

• Haha
Reactions: 28
She does other very archaic things like using minute amounts of spice and blanching/soaking her bacon (a common thing in old recipes to rid it of excess salt that modern curing techniques have rendered unnecessary), I would think that she must be following pre-1970s cookbooks for certain recipes.
Excuse me, tender one, Jack learned all about the meat curing process whilst working at the cold meat counter in Asda, thank you very much.

• Haha
Reactions: 35
I think it was partly my fault, too much wine (can there ever be too much wine) I used a stock pot and thinking back I think the mixed herbs (all herbs are interchangeable) did for it. It may have been more edible with more garlic, more mushrooms and no herbs as a completely different recipe.
FTFY!!

• Haha
Reactions: 19
If it’s off the BBC website it stands a chance of being OK, because they normally correct errors in recipes. (For example the DKL lasagne - they corrected Jack’s white sauce method, as that clearly didn’t work).
To be fair to her (much as that pains me) in the recipe for ULTIMATE lasagne on her blog, it does tell you to make a white sauce. But she clearly forgot to do it on DKL and instead of just saying ‘oops I need to make the white sauce’, she LIED to Matt of the forearms and everyone else.

I’m sure there are some people who watched it and thought ‘oh wow - I can just stick it in the oven like she said. Magic!’ Neither she nor the BBC issued a correction and that gave me the rage.

And of course Matt ate the one she’d made earlier which I assume did have a proper white sauce.

@binkbonk - I’ve just cast your video to my tv so I can properly enjoy the BOULEVAAARD. Genius. I also particularly liked the way your hand shook slightly before going into to squeeze the slop into balls. 🤮😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 34
She can’t make white sauce. It’s beyond her

To be fair to her (much as that pains me) in the recipe for ULTIMATE lasagne on her blog, it does tell you to make a white sauce. But she clearly forgot to do it on DKL and instead of just saying ‘oops I need to make the white sauce’, she LIED to Matt of the forearms and everyone else.

I’m sure there are some people who watched it and thought ‘oh wow - I can just stick it in the oven like she said. Magic!’ Neither she nor the BBC issued a correction and that gave me the rage.

And of course Matt ate the one she’d made earlier which I assume did have a proper white sauce.

@binkbonk - I’ve just cast your video to my tv so I can properly enjoy the BOULEVAAARD. Genius. I also particularly liked the way your hand shook slightly before going into to squeeze the slop into balls. 🤮😂

Reactions: 12
My slopalong day has arrived. I have my ingredients (my OH bought a tin of fruit cocktail yesterday, under duress).
I just have to wait for my toddler to go down for her nap and I’ve got a 2 hour window for slop.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
Haha I also did this to show my OH (“oh, it’s a slop video”). I’ve watched it several times and notice something new every time! It needs to go viral 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.