Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well done sloppy Fraus, these threads have been a great read but also maddening as many of you have said. Have made a donation to a charity in my town that provides hot meals and other services for the homeless.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Ok fraus, brace yourselves.

Roman Pasta with Mandarins and Creamy Basil Sauce

1 large onion - free (20p)
2 tbsp oil - free
150g pasta - free (25p)
Handful fresh basil - 52p
Handful fresh parsley - 57p
200g tinned mandarins - free (50p)
200ml natural yoghurt - 28p

Spenny pasta because I am fancy. Prices based on Tesco, Lidl

20221112_153100.jpg

I finely sliced my onion, added the 2 tablespoons of oil into the cold pan then turned on to a medium heat to sweat.

Then I put pasta on to boil. I salted my pasta water but the recipe is a stranger to salt and pepper or seasoning of any kind. Pasta takes 11 minutes to cook.

Once pasta is on I finely sliced a handful of basil and parsley and added to the onions in the pan. Felt like this was too early but I'm following the recipe.
20221112_171350.jpg

20221112_171438.jpg

Then against all my better judgement I added the mandarins to the pan. She said use a spoon to strain off most of the juice but I used a sieve because I'm an adult
20221112_171616.jpg

Then I added the yoghurt. I had to get my husband to video this because I felt if I had to go through it then you do too. Sadly the video is too large so you will have to make do with a photo.

Screenshot_20221112-183415_WhatsApp.jpg
I cannot quite find the words to describe to you the smell. Recipe says to serve with plenty of strong hard cheese. I elected to use cheddar as I wasn't going to waste any decent Italian cheese on this monstrosity. However no cheese is going to save this - trust me.
20221112_172727.jpg

Mr McHaggis point blank refused to taste it which surprised me as he is made of strong stuff usually but I think this broke him. Probably shouldn't have asked him to video it.

Luckily oldest son was prepared to take one for team. One mouthful was enough. He said it started out bland, then turned sour with a lingering after taste that kept getting worse. Don't mince your words son.

I explained the voting system and he decided it merited a 1 - Dire. Not quite dog-tit but definitely not as high as Terrible.
Off to the recycling bin. No chance of rescuing it - it was vile.

20221112_174150.jpg

I know this is a fun exercise but I have to say when you actually make the food and realise how bloody awful it is, it is enraging.

Having the pasta with basil and cheese and plenty of black pepper would have been a nice, simple meal. The mandarins and the parsley are pointless and the yoghurt is just an abomination.

I was actually on holiday in Italy last week and I spent some time looking for authentic Italian pasta recipes with fruit. The only thing I could find that was similar to this was a pasta recipe with ricotta and fresh berries, basil and mint. Now I can imagine actually eating that - creamy ricotta, fresh berries, mint - sounds lovely because it was devised by someone who understands food. How she gets away with this utter tripe is quite beyond me. Any people like Jay Rayner and Nigella promoting her?? Like what the hell?

I have lost all desire for food at this point so I will do the Carbrienara tomorrow. I am hoping it will at least be edible unlike this.

ETA I forgot to add my best photo :

20221112_164539.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 113

2 tbsp oil - free
150g pasta - free (25p)

View attachment 1725476

I finely sliced my onion, added the 2 tablespoons of oil into the cold pan then turned on to a medium heat to sweat.

Then I put pasta on to boil. I salted my pasta water but the recipe is a stranger to salt and pepper or seasoning of any kind. Pasta takes 11 minutes to cook.

Once pasta is on I finely sliced a handful of basil and parsley and added to the onions in the pan. Felt like this was too early but I'm following the recipe.
View attachment 1725480
View attachment 1725482

Then against all my better judgement I added the mandarins to the pan. She said use a spoon to strain off most of the juice but I used a sieve because I'm an adult
View attachment 1725483

Then I added the yoghurt. I had to get my husband to video this because I felt if I had to go through it then you do too. Sadly the video is too large so you will have to make do with a photo.

View attachment 1725489
I cannot quite find the words to describe to you the smell. Recipe says to serve with plenty of strong hard cheese. I elected to use cheddar as I wasn't going to waste any decent Italian cheese on this monstrosity. However no cheese is going to save this - trust me.
View attachment 1725493
Mr McHaggis point blank refused to taste it which surprised me as he is made of strong stuff usually but I think this broke him. Probably shouldn't have asked him to video it.

Luckily oldest son was prepared to take one for team. One mouthful was enough. He said it started out bland, then turned sour with a lingering after taste that kept getting worse. Don't mince your words son.

I explained the voting system and he decided it merited a 1 - Dire. Not quite dog-tit but definitely not as high as Terrible.

/SPOILER]

View attachment 1725497

I know this is a fun exercise but I have to say when you actually make the food and realise how bloody awful it is, it is enraging.

Having the pasta with basil and cheese and plenty of black pepper would have been a nice, simple meal. The mandarins and the parsley are pointless and the yoghurt is just an abomination.

I was actually on holiday in Italy last week and I spent some time looking for authentic Italian pasta recipes with fruit. The only thing I could find that was similar to this was a pasta recipe with ricotta and fresh berries, basil and mint. Now I can imagine actually eating that - creamy ricotta, fresh berries, mint - sounds lovely because it was devised by someone who understands food. How she gets away with this utter tripe is quite beyond me. Any people like Jay Rayner and Nigella promoting her?? Like what the hell?

I have lost all desire for food at this point so I will do the Carbrienara tomorrow. I am hoping it will at least be edible unlike this.
Totally agree & your slop is a really good example. A perfectly good meal right there, have the mandarins and cream for pudding.

The only explanation is that she hasn’t even tried these recipes. I refuse to believe she thinks this is good food.

Reactions: 49
A frau requested that someone do the pop tarts from A Year in 120 Recipes so I volunteered because it looks totally viable and after two sloppy failures I'm in the mood for something solid.

Here are my ingredients. Flour, salt, icing sugar and water were free because I already had them. I bought Flora Plant Butter instead of generic baking block. I did buy the cheapest jam which is of the red variety. My main gripe with this entire recipe is the existence of the sprinkles. Finding vegan sprinkles is such a ballaché and more importantly, they're £2.60 per pot. You're cheaping out on everything else yet spending £2.60 on frivolous sprinkles? Bellend.

ingredients.jpg

Making the pastry is fine, mostly. Shortcrust pastry is half fat to flour so she hasn't fucked it up yet. In the interests of transparency, I added some salt as the baking block has 0.11g salt per 100g. She does suggest you could melt the butter into the flour instead of rubbing it in. I wanted to try this to compare but I cba. There's no mention of letting the pastry rest, which I would normally do for 30 minutes but this isn't normal.

I went for the upper limit of jam which is 1 tbsp per pastry. It was at this point I thought: this is going to leak in the oven isn't it?

jam tart.jpg

Yes, absolutely.

split tart.jpg

Here is the finished product, with an inexplicable tiny spoon. The police did a malicious welfare check and saw me with the tiny spoon covered in white powder but I assured them it's for sucralose and we all hooted.

tart with spoon.jpg

Final verdict: they're pretty good you know. I'd give it a solid 4 overall. They're pretty small but this isn't supposed to be a substantial nutritious meal so I'll allow it. The question is where did she lift this recipe from?

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 90
Whoa F*ck Dressing ingredients
1 tsp dried chilli flakes (3g), 3p - 85p/28g pot
2 fat cloves of garlic, 3p - larder
2 tbsp mirin (or white wine vinegar with ½ tsp sugar), 36p - white wine vinegar 95p/350ml, sugar £1.70/1kg
1 tbsp soy sauce, 10p - larder
40ml groundnut or sesame oil, 13p - groundnut oil £2.00/500ml
100ml sunflower oil, 13p - £2.75/1 litre
a pinch of salt <1p - larder

Spent £8.25
Makes 12 x 1tbsp servings at 7p each - 68p each
I did the costing including the items I bought for the pizza sauce, you'd be looking at £10 to get everything including soy sauce and garlic
Tonkotsu Eat The Bits Chilli Oil is £5.95/190ml
Based on the chilli flakes, soy sauce, groundnut oil and sunflower oil you could make about 10 lots of Jack's version for the £10 so call it £1 for the 12x tbsp quantity (if it turns out to be correct)
I'll measure it as ml to compare to Tonkotsu's 190ml

Yes dear heart, you can get a jar of ginger and garlic paste from the world food section at the supermarket. Always great to have in the cupboard as a good base when starting a curry.
And you can also buy it in frozen cubes from the frozen world food section. It’s what I use when making a curry.
Thankyou tender ones, every day a school day in the canal

updated jack's hazard slops list:

Letting rice sit on the side for ages instead of cooling quickly - allows lots of Bacillus cereus bacteria to grow and give you the shits/food poisoning peanut milk rice pudding
frying tinned potatoes - they can explode due to the water content hot nicoise
storing/infusing herbs in oil - risk of botulism Whoa F*ck Dressing
Microwaving stone fruits to ripen - explodey, doesn't work, could duck up your microwave microwave ripening fruits

I would also like to add sprout scones because cooked (painstakingly) by the instructions:
View attachment 1724908
I'll add these to the wiki shortly ⚠

Reactions: 22
The question is where did she lift this recipe from?
This one looks pretty similar.
There seem to be loads of recipes for these on the internet though, and it’s hardly a tricky recipe, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Jack borrowed this from elsewhere…

Reactions: 28
@GladysMcHaggis story about looking for real pasta recipes with fruit made me think (no really it did).

More than a few of JM's recipes sound like she went to a posh restaurant, or saw the menu from one, and saw an unusual combination of ingredients. And then went home and thought, huh, I can do that too, and forged ahead and made some slop - with ingredients that were kind of the same but not quite, and without understanding the principles of cookery that chefs use to make those recipes work.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Fraus, been having a real life chaos so fallen behind on the thread, and not sure when I’ll be able to cook my slop, but am with you all in spirit. 🧑‍🍳 🥘

• Heart
Reactions: 26
About 35 years ago, my parents managed to grow All The Courgettes and they were served at every dinner for the entire summer and I started going in fear of finding them in my breakfast muesli. And then the meals based around bleeping marrows started appearing. There are a limited number of things you can do with a marrow. My recommendation is to say "bleeping hell," and throw it away.

I flatly refuse to eat courgettes even now.

The postscript to this story is that about 20 years after The Summer of All The bleeping Courgettes, my mum was cleaning out the chest freezer because it broke and there, lurking malevolently at the bottom like a courgette in your muesli, was a bag of frozen courgette slices.
Crying.....😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

There’s a slop for every occasion dear one!
Er... What's wholemeal rice, Precious?

2 tbsp oil - free
150g pasta - free (25p)

View attachment 1725476

View attachment 1725480
View attachment 1725482

View attachment 1725483

View attachment 1725489
View attachment 1725493

View attachment 1725497

You absolute 🌟.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19

2 tbsp oil - free
150g pasta - free (25p)

View attachment 1725476

View attachment 1725480
View attachment 1725482

View attachment 1725483

View attachment 1725489
View attachment 1725493

View attachment 1725497

That’s almost as revolting as the bindaloo.

In an update: 6 fat cloves of garlic in a concoction I only ate a mouthful of has served to STILL make me reek a full 36 hours later.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 29
Coriander or spinach OR parsley? duck me

aside: lovely Chetna a has a fantastic version of this on her YouTube which I heartily recommend
As a further aside: Chetnis well worth a follow on Insta, I’ve not tried her dal makhani but I’ve tried a few of her other dishes and they are really good.

what's going on then, bbc are surreptitiously correcting her recipes? so they know that they don't work yet continue to give her a platform?
They definitely do correct recipes, I guess because so many people use that website. I’ve used it a lot myself over the years and have found it pretty reliable.
I may have mentioned it before, but they corrected the dreaded horse spunk lasagne from DKL. When it first went up, I checked it in real time and it had the original “it’ll thicken up in the oven” (🙄) sauce. A few weeks later I checked again and it had been corrected.
Thinking about it, though, it’s not just the BBC, but ALL the cheffy and food writer types must have always known her recipes didn’t work. They must have known, you certainly don’t need to be an expert to spot it. Slinging everything into a cold pan? The complete lack of spice and seasoning? The teeny portions? Nigella, Jay, Nigel and the rest need their arses slapped for inflicting this charlatan on people in genuine need and continuing to give her a platform.

ETA: typos

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 46
There’s a slop for every occasion dear one!
I couldn’t do that to my lovely courgettes they would surely bring the wrath of blight upon my lady garden veggie patch!

2 tbsp oil - free
150g pasta - free (25p)

View attachment 1725476

View attachment 1725480
View attachment 1725482

View attachment 1725483

View attachment 1725489
View attachment 1725493

View attachment 1725497

You legend, another great slop but with you on being enraged.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
As a further aside: Chetnis well worth a follow on Insta, I’ve not tried her dal makhani but I’ve tried a few of her other dishes and they are really good.
Seconding/thirding/fourthing/whatevering the recommendation of Chetna and her YouTube channel. Her videos are so easy to follow and the food is blissful. She's got a book out, hasn't she?

Reactions: 13
Whoa F*ck Dressing

Part 1 (ingredients/costing):

The gang's all here, ingredients forensically measured out.
It said 2 fat cloves of garlic so I used 4 small ones.
I used white wine vinegar with sugar rather than mirin, mostly because I don't know what mirin is plus I had white wine vinegar from other slops.
The recips says groundnut (peanut) or sesame oil, I went with peanut because both sesame oils in Sainsbugs were toasted and I didn't know if that was different.

20221113_010812.jpg

20221113_011439.jpg

Garlic minced and everything chucked in.

20221113_012009.jpg

After mixing it went cloudy and you can see the oils don't really want to mix.
The chilli flakes and garlic have no interest in being suspended in the oil.
It makes 165ml or 9.3 tbsp which is less than Jack's claimed 12 tbsp or Tonkotsu's 190ml (10.7 tbsp).

20221113_012118.jpg

This is a typical tbsp if you scoop around the bottom to get some of the chilli/garlic.

20221113_012414.jpg

Sampling spoon, read it and weep, Jack.

20221113_012503.jpg

20221113_012610.jpg

I tried a few spoonfuls and it just tastes like a teaspoon of sunflower oil (disgusting) but then a sharp acrid tang and then raw garlic and chilli flakes. It gave me stomach ache, send gavison double action-o's.
Jack says "Season to taste, and adjust accordingly – if it’s too acidic for your liking, add another splash of oil. If it’s not harsh enough, another drop of vinegar".
Season with what? The salt that hasn't been mentioned?
The last thing this needs is more oil and what's another splash going to do when it's already 85% oil.
Adding more vinegar will just make the tang more unpleasant, there's no refinement to this it's all raw flavours.
My tastebuds did not "shoot off on an exuberant joyride" nor my "eyes pop and my tongue sing" (what a twot).
She says "sweet, salty, spicy" but HOW IS IT SWEET OR SALTY IT'S JUST OIL ??
She also says "it’s hot, but not unbearably so" but we know Jack thinks 1 tsp chilli flakes makes a vindaloo so her opinion there is completely invalid, plus this is technically a vindaloo then.
It's like she has never actually tasted it and just assumed 1/2 tsp sugar and a pinch of salt will be the dominating flavours like what the actual duck?
She went to all this trouble when she could have just bought another jar of Tonkotsu, something she apparently polished off post haste? Who are we kidding of course that's exactly what she did.

Tonkotsu looks like it's rammed with chilli, Jack says "all I could remember was the sheer amount of chilli flakes suspended in a sesame oil dressing".
I managed to pour off 125ml of oil out of the total 165ml.
This was still being generous with oil but meant I had about 2 tbsp of what I suspect is the 'desired product'.
From the costing this is about £1.00 to make so costs as much as Tonkotsu per tbsp (£5.95/10.7 tbsp or 55p/tbsp, Jack's 50p/tbsp).

20221113_013105.jpg

20221113_013118.jpg

20221113_013225.jpg

I'll leave it in the fridge overnight to see if the oil takes on any flavour but I'm not taking any chances with this.
Rating: 1 because it's 85% raw oil and gross plus Jack being a twit about food safety plus no cheaper than the Tonkotsu product.
Also it gave me stomach ache.
Now to treat myself to a 99 and put £10 in the charity pot, chapeau!

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 73
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.