Slopalong #2 You can’t polish a turd, but you can cover it in parsley

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been ruminating on Jack’s monstrosity that is the veg peelings cake (wtaf) as it did make me think about all the peelings I throw away.

Yesterday I did roast potatoes and kept the peelings… today, I made these 😋 .

Simply toss them in olive oil (genuinely could use other oils like veg or sunflower) and a pinch of salt and cook in the air fryer at 200° for 5 minutes, shaking the tray a couple of times in between. I grated some Parmesan on them but you could use any hard cheese or leave it off. They honestly were delicious as is.

View attachment 1730972
Hope it’s ok to share here but I have no issues with it being deleted if not x
I only have baby oil and no potatoes is that ok?

Seriously though, looks delicious

• Haha
Reactions: 38
Sleepy Potatoes review. I nearly put this off again, but no, I need to do it for the good of the Slopalong!

I yomped off to Tesco for my big shop, list in hand, though alas, no rucksack, I drove in my BIG car. I got the usual level of ingredient I would notmally buy, i.e. middle-ish, my husband picked the finest potatoes 🙄 I did think though, there wasn't much wiggle room to make it cheaper. Own brand cheese etc would make a difference but not my a massive amount. Happy to be educated on that though, I know I am very lucky to have not experienced true poverty.

Costings below, i havent inluded spices or oil, I think most people would have them in, and they made NO difference to the end product.

Screenshot_20221113-164840_Note.jpg

There is lots of chopping! Thin slices of potatoes, finely sliced leek and the chopping of garlic. I then assembled what I assumed would be a dainty portion each, only to realise I had so much!! More than I would normally do. I had committed to the size Pyrex (not ceramic dish) and so just kept squishing it down with each layer 🤷🏼‍♀️ then the cheese and finally the cream/milk/garlic concoction. It had to be done slowly so it didn't overflow, and you may notice garlic sitting on the top, as it was in the liquid mix, it never made it further than the top of the dish.

20221113_160827.jpg
20221113_162016.jpg

For an hour!! Thats a long time to have the oven on. I am roasting a chicken at the same time which will be used with the Sleepy Potatoes and for other meals during the week but its far too much for a side dish on a regular day (or I think so anyway). Also, as the cheese was on the top it browned very quickly with half an hour still to go. I made the decision to put it on a lower shelf than recommended, I cannot justify wasting a good bit of cheese on the top!

20221113_173310.jpg

I had such high hopes! How could something with these ingredients go wrong. Well, it curdled... it was watery with lumps of cudled milk/cream 🤢 I've never made dophinoise potatoes before and assume this is something similar but really wasn't expecting it. I started to question what I had done wrong before remembering this is the point. The recipes don't work and the person making them blames themselves! I think making a creamy, cheesey bechamel would work much better, but we know Jack doesn't believe in bechamel!!

20221113_183647.jpg

So high in calories. Which is fine, and much better than being too low, but not what I expect from her. And a lot for it not to work. As a side dish, this is the total for the Sleepy Potatoes but with the rest of my meal, chicken, veg, stuffing etc it was c.900cal (I'm an average size woman 🔺️).

Screenshot_20221113-163505_MyFitnessPal.jpg

Result: 2.
It tastes OK and is edible but in no way would I serve that to anyone but myself and my OH. As usual, it's all over the place!

I need to go to bed!

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 69
It's so lovely to see all the donations being made to counteract the Jack slop inflicted on the world. This week I've agreed with a friend and a family member that we won't buy each other presents this year and donate to charity instead.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
In lieu of my ballsed-up formatting can someone nominate me for another recipe please. No meat, fish or eggs though.
This time I promise to get the formatting right (and not write on myself with a purple felt tip pen either this time)

Once I am done I will look up my local foodbank's most needed list and donate twice the value of what they are asking for.
Dearheart, I have to say that your spoilered titles made me 🦉&🍾
I opened every single one...💜🎩

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Loved the review dear heart. And Hermann the German sounds like a lege. Get him on here!
I do wish I'd taken notes of Hermann's comments on other Slops here, probably would have left Jack heartbroken!

Also dear hearts, I donated to our equivalent of a food bank!

FDEE6E17-6BE4-4DD8-B293-63ACEB11A0C5.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 34
@InTheVillage Sleepy Potatoes had the right name because making them was so labour intensive that you were worn out!

Fantastic work. I think one of Jack's "sauces" curdling during baking is a new high/low...

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
Sleepy Potatoes review. I nearly put this off again, but no, I need to do it for the good of the Slopalong!

I yomped off to Tesco for my big shop, list in hand, though alas, no rucksack, I drove in my BIG car. I got the usual level of ingredient I would notmally buy, i.e. middle-ish, my husband picked the finest potatoes 🙄 I did think though, there wasn't much wiggle room to make it cheaper. Own brand cheese etc would make a difference but not my a massive amount. Happy to be educated on that though, I know I am very lucky to have not experienced true poverty.

Costings below, i havent inluded spices or oil, I think most people would have them in, and they made NO difference to the end product.

View attachment 1731134

There is lots of chopping! Thin slices of potatoes, finely sliced leek and the chopping of garlic. I then assembled what I assumed would be a dainty portion each, only to realise I had so much!! More than I would normally do. I had committed to the size Pyrex (not ceramic dish) and so just kept squishing it down with each layer 🤷🏼‍♀️ then the cheese and finally the cream/milk/garlic concoction. It had to be done slowly so it didn't overflow, and you may notice garlic sitting on the top, as it was in the liquid mix, it never made it further than the top of the dish.

View attachment 1731136View attachment 1731138

For an hour!! Thats a long time to have the oven on. I am roasting a chicken at the same time which will be used with the Sleepy Potatoes and for other meals during the week but its far too much for a side dish on a regular day (or I think so anyway). Also, as the cheese was on the top it browned very quickly with half an hour still to go. I made the decision to put it on a lower shelf than recommended, I cannot justify wasting a good bit of cheese on the top!

View attachment 1731141

I had such high hopes! How could something with these ingredients go wrong. Well, it curdled... it was watery with lumps of cudled milk/cream 🤢 I've never made dophinoise potatoes before and assume this is something similar but really wasn't expecting it. I started to question what I had done wrong before remembering this is the point. The recipes don't work and the person making them blames themselves! I think making a creamy, cheesey bechamel would work much better, but we know Jack doesn't believe in bechamel!!

View attachment 1731144

So high in calories. Which is fine, and much better than being too low, but not what I expect from her. And a lot for it not to work. As a side dish, this is the total for the Sleepy Potatoes but with the rest of my meal, chicken, veg, stuffing etc it was c.900cal (I'm an average size woman 🔺️).

View attachment 1731148

Result: 2.
It tastes OK and is edible but in no way would I serve that to anyone but myself and my OH. As usual, it's all over the place!

I need to go to bed!
“They made NO difference to the end product.”
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂😂
📦 ⚰

• Haha
Reactions: 33
@InTheVillage Sleepy Potatoes had the right name because making them was so labour intensive that you were worn out!

Fantastic work. I think one of Jack's "sauces" curdling during baking is a new high/low...
Not surprising the milk/cheese/cream mix curdled during baking, high oven heat over a prolonged period without a binding ingredient like flour will cause the solids and liquids to separate, that's what we were always taught in Home Economics classes in the 1990s. The remedy to that, is, of course, to cook it before putting in the oven, ie, make a flipping béchamel sauce.

This one somehow hurts a little more, because all the ingredients are great, and potato & leek dauphinoise is a really good idea. Just the...instructions on how to combine them was off. Such a shame.

Reactions: 38
All you would have to do to make that dish work is swap out the cream/milk for an equal volume of stock (cheaper!!!) and you have a leek version of boulangère potatoes!!!!!! you can even dribble a little cream on the top at the end of the bake and it will cook into it!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 32
Black Forest Traybake

Guten Tag dear Frauen!
I finally got my slop on yesterday, my apologies for the delay - I give Covid 0/10, definitely do not recommend.

Yesterday, I finally felt like donning my trusty DMs (after I'd done some garden work, I did consider if it was really necessary to wash my hands beforehand) and got baking!

View attachment 1730515

(don't worry dear hearts this is just a cleverly angled photo, my DMs aren't actually touching the work surface!)

I lined my ingredients up:
View attachment 1729668
and worked out the cost:
200g Butter @ 2.29€ per 250g = 1.83€
200g red jam @ 1.99 € per 370g = 1.08€ (but I already had some homemade stuff in the depths of my cellar, so free (I did make OH taste test beforehand, and he's still alive!)
3 medium eggs @ 2.59€ per 10 eggs = 0.77€
4tbsp Cocoa powder @ 1.59€ per 125g = 0.38€ (but I already had, so free)
1tsp baking powder @ 0.79€ per 160g (here I had to use more as self-raising flour doesn’t exist here, so I’ve costed what I used) = 0.08€
200g self-raising flour @ 1.69€ per 1kg = 0.34€
100g dark chocolate @ 0.79€ per 100g = 0.79€
200g frozen cherries @ 1.79€ per 300g = 1.19€

Total = 7.25€ = 6.34 GBP (according to trusty Google)

Seems a bit expensive for a cake to me, but oh well. Let’s hope it tastes ok!

I used my trusty "rickety 1980s food processor" for the task (yes I know it looks suspiciously like a new-ish kitchen aid, do you want me to stop breathing?!)

I decided to follow the instructions forensically. My first hurdle was with the butter. The recipe doesn't state room temperature...so I decided to just sling it in straight from the fridge. A chaos ensued which included butter being flung around my kitchen - ahh you live and learn!

The resulting mixture didn't look too appetising:
View attachment 1729670
Then I added my eggs...which didn't help matters:

View attachment 1729672
Next the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder...no sifting was mentioned so I skipped this step.
View attachment 1730517
(yes, that is an Amex platinum card, it's actual metal.)

At this point the mixture looks slightly more appetising:
View attachment 1729679
The last step was to add the chocolate (in squares, no mention of size, so I just broke into the pre-made squares...seemed a bit big...but...) and cherries:

View attachment 1729684
and then into the oven with the slop!
View attachment 1729685

I set my timer for exactly 50 minutes and then took my masterpiece out.

This is the end result. It doesn't look too bad....
View attachment 1729686

View attachment 1730471

View attachment 1730474
The verdict:
To be fair...it tastes...ok.
Hermann the German's review:
'das ist doch ein Angriff auf die Gesundheit! Was hat das mit Schwarzwälder Kirsch zu tun? Muss ich das alles auf essen?!'
(That is an attack on your health! What has this got to do with black forest? Do I have to eat it all?!)

Ingredients: 3/5. I would normally have everything bar the fruit in my cupboard, 6.34 GBP seems like a lot for a cake. I think I could get 12 small-ish slices out of this, so would be around 53p per slice - if I really was tight for money the cost:nutrition or even cost:taste ratio would definitely not be worth it for me - I'd much rather just do a normal sponge cake? I think I will need some whipped cream to eat the rest of this, so that would up the cost even more!

Recipe: 4/5. The recipe wasn't very helpful - she might as well have just said "sling everything together". But couldn't really go wrong (apart from the butter, and to be fair I did really know that it needed to be at room temperature, I was just being pedantic!) Also 50mins in the oven is a pretty long time for a cake - a sponge cake would be done in 25-30 mins. So again, a bit spenny!

Visual appeal: 4/5. Looks like any other chocolate sponge cake to be fair

Texture: 4/5. Is quite nice and moist with the chocolate bits and the cherries.

Taste: 3/5. This is definitely edible. But I would realistically eat it with some whipped cream which would up the cost even further.

Overall:
3 - Middle class

This is edible, so we won't be throwing this out. My main bone with this is the price - just not realistic on a budget I don't think! You'd be better of buying a frozen black forest gateau, £2.50 from Tesco!

Frauen - I am a bit sad. I promised a good German honest review. But this was not really slop-like. I'd be happy to try something else to get a better review if someone has any suggestions?
Stolen? Has anybody searched bbc?

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I’ve been ruminating on Jack’s monstrosity that is the veg peelings cake (wtaf) as it did make me think about all the peelings I throw away.

Yesterday I did roast potatoes and kept the peelings… today, I made these 😋 .

Simply toss them in olive oil (genuinely could use other oils like veg or sunflower) and a pinch of salt and cook in the air fryer at 200° for 5 minutes, shaking the tray a couple of times in between. I grated some Parmesan on them but you could use any hard cheese or leave it off. They honestly were delicious as is.

View attachment 1730972
Hope it’s ok to share here but I have no issues with it being deleted if not x
That looks AMAZING! 😋
May I also offer my not dire roast potatoes from yesterday?
20221113_190149.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 50
Dear Housey of Carbs, I have never been able to cook rice. Either all gooey and gammy or hard little shards like tiny rice bullets. I like rice, but cook it via a microwave pack or 2 these days. As then we can actually eat the bloody rice with the dinner xx
Auntie House never fail method: grab a reasonably large microwave safe bowl (not enormous, but big enough so the water won't boil out if it), measure a cup (or whatever measure is good for you, I use an American measuring cup), add 1 tsp salt, 2 cups of boiling water and into the microwave for ten minutes at full power. Leave it to steam for about 10 minutes when it has pinged. Works *every* time.
The golden rule is twice as much water to rice ratio.😁

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
I love seeing foreign ingredient packaging out on the wild. It’s like nipping into Lidl when you’re on holiday.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
Love the passive aggressive lemons.😁😁😁
Haven't seen @passive aggressive lemon of late

Dear Housey of Carbs, I have never been able to cook rice. Either all gooey and gammy or hard little shards like tiny rice bullets. I like rice, but cook it via a microwave pack or 2 these days. As then we can actually eat the bloody rice with the dinner
saint delia has the answer to perfect rice 🍚

Reactions: 19
Interesting - the recipe on her blog says to use self raising flour, the Guardian recipe says SR flour OR bread flour, while the book says plain flour. I guess all flours are interchangeable? (Dear reader they are not). I really do not understand why she bakes yeasted bread products with SR flour. All the other lardy cake recipes I've seen use bread flour, which has a high gluten content and gives you a nice fluffy texture.

Adding "flour" to the list of things she doesn't understand, including beans and olive oil (as per that mumsnet video)
That's when I realised that she couldn't cook, when she argued that all floors are the same and you don't need to use bread flour to make bread.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
Auntie House never fail method: grab a reasonably large microwave safe bowl (not enormous, but big enough so the water won't boil out if it), measure a cup (or whatever measure is good for you, I use an American measuring cup), add 1 tsp salt, 2 cups of boiling water and into the microwave for ten minutes at full power. Leave it to steam for about 10 minutes when it has pinged. Works *every* time.
The golden rule is twice as much water to rice ratio.😁
Please don’t shoot me for asking, but is it important to rinse the rice before cooking it?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.