Sex Education (Netflix)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What I find insane is, in what would would a radio station hire a CHILD, one without any qualifications in therapy, psychology etc to be an agony aunt. Same with the school election, surely it should be an adult to be a counsellor not children. It’s a huge plot hole for me that never made any sense!

I understand it in terms of the first season but when it’s becoming a thing beyond a peer to peer help thing it’s odd!
Also Adam driving around without L plates on 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
What I find insane is, in what would would a radio station hire a CHILD, one without any qualifications in therapy, psychology etc to be an agony aunt. Same with the school election, surely it should be an adult to be a counsellor not children. It’s a huge plot hole for me that never made any sense!

I understand it in terms of the first season but when it’s becoming a thing beyond a peer to peer help thing it’s odd!
same!!

i’ve always found this show difficult to pin down in a realistic time and place though. like in the first series when jackson was wearing a varsity jacket (in a british school?!) and the end of year show they did that had the production values of a broadway musical. it just doesn’t, and never has, rung true to me as a depiction of british teenagers. which i guess is the tone they wanted but i feel like it’s only become more distancing as the show went on.

i’ve struggled my way through another episode and otis is just being the worst still. i also kind of feel like emma mackey is a little over playing maeve. she isn’t bad but there’s something checked out in her performance this series that wasn’t there before.

Reactions: 4
same!!

i’ve always found this show difficult to pin down in a realistic time and place though. like in the first series when jackson was wearing a varsity jacket (in a british school?!) and the end of year show they did that had the production values of a broadway musical. it just doesn’t, and never has, rung true to me as a depiction of british teenagers. which i guess is the tone they wanted but i feel like it’s only become more distancing as the show went on.

i’ve struggled my way through another episode and otis is just being the worst still. i also kind of feel like emma mackey is a little over playing maeve. she isn’t bad but there’s something checked out in her performance this series that wasn’t there before.
I felt that about Emma Mackey.

The writer said she wanted it to be like an American High School and inspiration from 80’s films by John Hughes.

same!!

They said in season one that it was so the show connected with both British and American people so they could relate with the school situations

I was gutted with the ending. To be honest I was gutted with a lot of season 4. What happened to making you laugh and smile?

Reactions: 3
I felt that about Emma Mackey.

The writer said she wanted it to be like an American High School and inspiration from 80’s films by John Hughes.
she wasn’t bad but there was definitely something “gone” from her as maeve this series i think. it’s making maeve and otis even more tiring to watch!

i love 80s teen movies and i absolutely know that was their intention (and it really was very endearing in the first two series) but i have always thought it was an odd choice as that type of jock/nerd culture just doesn’t exist in the uk schools because we don’t have the same attitude towards school sports. it leads to questions about realism as above. though i guess like with most of the show, the charm of that choice has worn off as it went on.

Reactions: 5
I know I shouldn't really say this, but one of the new characters is genuinely one of the ugliest people I've ever seen.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I'm only 2 episodes in and.... I'm really disappointed. I loved the early seasons but I struggled with the last season and this season is just boring.

I've watched our episode and really don't have any desire to watch more. They should have ended it last series.

I enjoyed the past 3 series for the most part, although series 3 was too woke for me. I can’t decide whether the insane wokeness of series 4 is a piss take or not. I think they went a bit Normal People in the last episodes with Maeve and Otis, which was lazy.
‘O’ literally provokes a physical reaction in me I dislike her so much. The character is definitely supposed to be annoying in the first few episodes but even in the last ep, she was unbearable.
I think Ruby is one of my favourite characters and when Otis and Maeve were having trouble connecting sexually, I was expecting Otis to realise that maybe he loved the idea of being with Maeve more than actually being with her.
It was nice to see Adam and his parents have a happy ending ❤

The storylines in this series are very heavy handed, don’t know why there was such a large focus on Cal, they don’t really have any kind of personality. Also, that new character, Roman (I think? The Scouser) was such a wooden actor, like they were reading their lines from a teleprompter.

Reactions: 14
Agree with other posters that this series just felt like a tick box exercise. My husband doesn’t watch it, but during the first episode I was reeling off all the different types of characters, and said that the only thing they didn’t seem to have included was a polyamorous character. Onto episode 4 - box ticked, full house! But then it was never mentioned it again past that one very brief scene - it wasn’t explored in any depth, they didn’t go into the nuances of it, in fact I don’t think Aisha’s other partner was even really shown again! It seems like they just mentioned it purely to say “we have polyamorous representation.” Otis, one of the few straight, cis gender males was labelled a misogynist and a “menninist” by his peers. The whole thing just felt like it was pushing an agenda on the viewers. Only storylines I was interested in were Adam’s especially, and Ruby’s. And there just wasn’t enough of either of them!

Reactions: 12
Just finished the series, Viv's confrontation with her abusive bf felt very after school special, reminded me of this scene from that naff film Cyberbully

Reactions: 1
O just had that smirky smugness all the way through which made her impossible to like!!

Cal's storyline was moving and important.... but them having zero personality took away from that. Same for a lot of the characters where they had no personality outside of the identity they were written in to represent.

Agree with the poster above that there was a point where I thought Otis would realise he was more sexually compatible with Ruby than Maeve!

Reactions: 11
Just finished the series, Viv's confrontation with her abusive bf felt very after school special, reminded me of this scene from that naff film Cyberbully
I felt like a lot of the dialogue throughout the series is a bit too curated to make good clips for social media which can be captioned with something like "This was SO POWERFUL" but just end up sounding really forced in the show itself

Onto the last episode now and I hate to say but I will be sooooo glad when it’s done 😩 been proper tit this has

Reactions: 5