Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
I just have to give a shout out to who ever did the casting for Michael and Adam Groff. They aren't related but they are so alike in looks and mannerisms it's scary. Two of my favourite characters.

• Heart
Reactions: 33

Boogs

VIP Member
This final series was disappointing. The new characters added nothing other than tick boxing. They should have focussed on the original characters.

At the start of series 1 I never thought I would be willing on the Groff men. I think that family showed so much development through the series and both of them acted their roles beautifully with real sensitivity. That was the relationship I was invested in. I couldn’t give a toss about whether Otis and Maeve ended up together but I wanted Adam and his Dad to be able to love themselves and each other and be happy ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 24

aimz_yeah

Chatty Member
This final series was disappointing. The new characters added nothing other than tick boxing. They should have focussed on the original characters.

At the start of series 1 I never thought I would be willing on the Groff men. I think that family showed so much development through the series and both of them acted their roles beautifully with real sensitivity. That was the relationship I was invested in. I couldn’t give a toss about whether Otis and Maeve ended up together but I wanted Adam and his Dad to be able to love themselves and each other and be happy ❤
I still don't think there has ever been such a good casting of father and son who aren't actually related. They are just so alike.
I wish there had been more Adam. We could see more sparks but I wanted to see him really happy. I would definitely watch a spin off for him

• Heart
Reactions: 20

judgejohndeed

VIP Member
Binged it over the weekend. Think it was the weakest of all the seasons so far. Some parts were just too cringe even for a show that is cringe in a funny way, for example the poo storyline. I also really hated what happened to the cat, could very well be too sensitive here as a cat lover but I really didn't want to see that/was pretty horrified at how graphic it was and I don't think it added anything to the storyline either.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

LaBlonde

VIP Member
That’s because I don’t think they were actors, they were plucked from social media. Saying that I think Maeve was also really wooden in this season as well. The acting was terrible all round.
i think i said it above but emma mackey really wasn’t great this series. she seemed to have completely checked out of the part, which made her scenes with otis even more boring.

i finished last night after struggling through and agree with the other comments that the groffs were the only reason i kept watching! beautiful performances from them and i was genuinely invested. the rest - not great.

The storylines in this series are very heavy handed, don’t know why there was such a large focus on Cal, they don’t really have any kind of personality. Also, that new character, Roman (I think? The Scouser) was such a wooden actor, like they were reading their lines from a teleprompter.

Snackella

Chatty Member
I'm glad it's been renewed, but I really don't want Sex Education to become one of those shows that totally over stay their welcome. Season 4 should be the last since this is the characters last year of school

Reactions: 13

Amyx1518

VIP Member
I was laughing at episode 1 & 2 but for me it just went too Woke 🫣 I’m on the last episode but I’m now disappointed. To be honest I thought episode 1 was the best and that’s the one written by the original writer of series 1.

The music in it is good though!
Definitely too woke. Feels like every possible gender identity, sexuality, 'act of kindness', blah blah blah is being shoehorned in. Doesnt feel genuine, like in Heartstopper, for example.

Reactions: 13

ProfessorColdheart

Totally agree about the casting of the Groff men. Outstanding. I absolutely loved Adam's character development in series 3. He played it so well and it was refreshing to see a character struggle with something and slowly make progress instead of the usual overnight transformation. I really felt it when he was struggling to communicate what he wanted to say and loved how his resilience was portrayed. He is the standout character for me and I liked how they showed his Dad's story too.
Also liked Aimee's story as I have always felt on TV people suffer an assault and then the writers just leave it. Showing how it affected her and how she worked to make sense of her reaction was a bit more realistic and I just generally like her character. Feel like she was really under-used in this series.

The rest of them just felt like caricatures of themselves in this series. I think the new trans characters were important to include but given too much airtime compared to others. I'd have liked to have seen more of Ruby than just as a prop for Otis. Romeo very wooden as someone else said. I was pleased to see they brought disability into it with the Isaac and Aisha lift/fire alarm situation but again no real depth. There was more they could have done with that.

I'm going to watch from the start again but might not bother with re-watching S4.

Reactions: 12

scot_nursey003

Agree with other posters that this series just felt like a tick box exercise. My husband doesn’t watch it, but during the first episode I was reeling off all the different types of characters, and said that the only thing they didn’t seem to have included was a polyamorous character. Onto episode 4 - box ticked, full house! But then it was never mentioned it again past that one very brief scene - it wasn’t explored in any depth, they didn’t go into the nuances of it, in fact I don’t think Aisha’s other partner was even really shown again! It seems like they just mentioned it purely to say “we have polyamorous representation.” Otis, one of the few straight, cis gender males was labelled a misogynist and a “menninist” by his peers. The whole thing just felt like it was pushing an agenda on the viewers. Only storylines I was interested in were Adam’s especially, and Ruby’s. And there just wasn’t enough of either of them!

Curly Top

VIP Member
I'm only half way through season 4. I enjoyed the first two episodes but it's now getting too far fetched. I don't like Roman, his girlfriend and all their friends. It appears done for effect and looks like bubble gum filling material for insta.

Eric, fabulous as he is, is not developed much other than being larger than life. Otis is whiny and self absorbed. I hate seeing Jean in such a state. The scene with her at the baby class, where she was asked to give an interesting fact about herself, and inadvertently started rambling nervously revealing her major problems but was quickly dismissed to allow others to spout more palatable lightweight comments was heartbreaking.

The scenes with Maeve in her new collage seemed jarring and dull. I have never thought Otis and Maeve were a likely couple. She has always seemed far too world weary and old for him.

• Heart

KINGAA

VIP Member
Have to say the Otis dick pic bits did make me absolutely howl! The only moment to truly make me laugh this whole season!

• Haha

Freedomofspeech89

VIP Member
The Otis scenes there was just no chemistry at all anymore and there was. For two best friends / lovers there was nothing. When her mum died it was so meh, not even a hug or and arm around each other for comfort he comfort was the guy in the wheelchair.
He had far more chemistry with Ruby than he did with Maeve. Would have made more sense for him to have ended up with Ruby imo.

Reactions: 11

AshMay

VIP Member
O just had that smirky smugness all the way through which made her impossible to like!!

Cal's storyline was moving and important.... but them having zero personality took away from that. Same for a lot of the characters where they had no personality outside of the identity they were written in to represent.

Agree with the poster above that there was a point where I thought Otis would realise he was more sexually compatible with Ruby than Maeve!

fxckmanet

Chatty Member
I’m rooting for Mr and Mrs Groff getting back together if there’s another season, it seems like losing everything has made Mr Groff get some perspective.
I quite liked that this season was focused on the entire cast rather than just focusing on Otis and Co.
I can’t look at Mr Hendricks without seeing his character in Ghosts

Boogs

VIP Member
I feel like the thing that made sex education stand out was that for all the crudeness it had a lot of heart. I felt that was missing from the last series apart from the Groff family. At the start of the first series Adam and his Dad were horrible characters but by the end they had both had reduced me to tears numerous times. I’d like to see the lad who plays Adam do well, I think he has lots of potential.

• Heart