Secret Celebrity Gossip #109

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh, no. I only just got into You, never watched Gossip Girl, etc. I really like his adorkable, centrist dad persona. 😞
I've only ever seen him in this as well, never googled him before the other day though 😳
I waver between thinking he's hot, creepy or homeless.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
.Who the duck did that? That's horrendous.
No-one that I know of has said who it was (how can they sleep at night?)
I don't get the hype over Paula Yates. She might well have been very intelligent, but she consistently made dumb decisions. She wasn't pretty, quite plain, but yes how she acted and presented herself was appealing to men. And Bob Geldolf is no saint either, everyone knows that. I was very young when Yates and all that crew were on TV. But at the end of the day she was a junkie, and she was responsible for the whole nonsense about Hutchence apparently having died from that auto erotic sex thing, which he didn't, he committed suicide, but his name is now forever tarnished with that. He suffered a head injury, which apparently changed his whole personality. It's not unreasonable to think that being in such a dark place mentally made him want to end it. Yates just couldn't accept that she wasn't enough to stop him doing it, completely selfish reasoning.
It's a shame you've reduced Paula Yates to "just a junkie" but that isn't uncommon. I can't excuse drug taking but who knows why a teetotaller becomes an addict - maybe easily led, trying to impress, insecure..?

I don't believe Paula was so sure, maybe it was pride that made her say that about Michael's tragic death (and I don't think many people believed the auto-erotic asphxiation angle, even then)..Belinda Brewin (and I know some people doubt her take at times) said Paula kept asking her "He did love me, didn't he? It's what keeps me awake at night".

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 40
Well said and I couldnt agree more- I can't bear anyone being referred to as "just a...." anything- who knows what has led them there, have some empathy

• Heart
Reactions: 39
It absolutely blows my mind the pretzels people will twists themselves into to justify the behaviour of their faves (Kate Moss and Paula Yates are two prime examples) while being completely, relentlessly unforgiving toward others. Like, Jennifer Lopez is sooo pathetic because she can’t live without a guy in her life, but here is someone who ruined her own life and substantially messed up her children’s, but don’t be too harsh on her, she must have had reasons (and besides, she was so cool!)

• Wow
Reactions: 24
It absolutely blows my mind the pretzels people will twists themselves into to justify the behaviour of their faves (Kate Moss and Paula Yates are two prime examples) while being completely, relentlessly unforgiving toward others. Like, Jennifer Lopez is sooo pathetic because she can’t live without a guy in her life, but here is someone who ruined her own life and substantially messed up her children’s, but don’t be too harsh on her, she must have had reasons (and besides, she was so cool!)
Probably not directed at me but there is nuance from my side. I'm not a Paula super-fan or anything like it - I know her history isn't immaculate (supposedly following Bob around so much she was called "the limpet" and she did say "I can't imagine myself being with anyone who doesn't sell out stadiums" (iirc) - out of context, the comments sound arrogant, and maybe she was). But I can't help but like her.

I don't think she was the greatest mum, even though she tried to become the earth mother type and make women feel bad for pursuing a career (though she did explain her POV well, to be fair).

I just remember the visceral and heartless pursuit of her, it was agonising to watch and made me feel rather sad about how the tabloids act. I can't even think of a comparable male scapegoat.

Also remember Bowie rolling his eyes at her when she did one of her On The Bed With Paula interviews some years ago...! She was trying to be flirty and he was just not having it.

*Actually, Youtube tells me it was when Bowie was with Tin Machine, haven't seen it for a long time...if it's the clip I think it is!

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
Probably not directed at me but there is nuance from my side. I'm not a Paula super-fan or anything like it - I know her history isn't immaculate (supposedly following Bob around so much she was called "the limpet" and she did say "I can't imagine myself being with anyone who doesn't sell out stadiums" (iirc) - out of context, the comments sound arrogant, and maybe she was). But I can't help but like her.

I don't think she was the greatest mum, even though she tried to become the earth mother type and make women feel bad for pursuing a career (though she did explain her POV well, to be fair).

I just remember the visceral and heartless pursuit of her, it was agonising to watch and made me feel rather sad about how the tabloids act. I can't even think of a comparable male scapegoat.

Also remember Bowie rolling his eyes at her when she did one of her On The Bed With Paula interviews some years ago...! She was trying to be flirty and he was just not having it.

*Actually, Youtube tells me it was when Bowie was with Tin Machine, haven't seen it for a long time...if it's the clip I think it is!
I *think* I read somewhere the David Bowie On the Bed with Paula was a joke between them. They were good friends and he was taking the piss. He was at their wedding I think? I'll have to check.

Reactions: 8
I *think* I read somewhere the David Bowie On the Bed with Paula was a joke between them. They were good friends and he was taking the piss. He was at their wedding I think? I'll have to check.
Yes, he was at the wedding (I don't even need to look it up!). I'll add the pic anyway (this one is more of an outtake, not the one that made the papers):
Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 17-41-33 Rare Irish Stuff - Bob Geldof & Paula Yates wedding photo 19...png

• Heart
Reactions: 43
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Yes, he was at the wedding (I don't even need to look it up!). I'll add the pic anyway (this one is more of an outtake, not the one that made the papers):
View attachment 2033439
I love this photo, it’s so much of a time and everyone looks really happy. I have nothing to add re Paula but I think she was the first “celeb” death that really hit me for six. The one that absolutely floored me was Amy Winehouse, but I’ve rambled on about that one before.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 21
I remember seeing an interview with Paula where she discussed their wedding. Simon Le Bon gave her away. When he first saw her, apparently he said ‘Wow! Your dress is red!’ To which Paula replied ‘Oh Simon, I’ve got our three year old next to me at the altar, nobody thinks I’m a virgin!’

• Haha
Reactions: 40
If you think about the style of dresses brides wore in the 80s, that dress was well ahead of it’s time and wouldn’t look out of place today.
---
Stunning! Always said I'd wear a red dress if I ever got married. Alas, I decided living in sin was much easier 😆
I worked in a bridal salon for a bit in the naughties and red, pink and black dresses were quite popular.

There was a future Mother in law in scowling at the red dress in the window and saying it was awful. Little did she know it was going to be making an appearance at her son’s wedding in a few weeks time 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
No-one that I know of has said who it was (how can they sleep at night?)
It's a shame you've reduced Paula Yates to "just a junkie" but that isn't uncommon. I can't excuse drug taking but who knows why a teetotaller becomes an addict - maybe easily led, trying to impress, insecure..?

I don't believe Paula was so sure, maybe it was pride that made her say that about Michael's tragic death (and I don't think many people believed the auto-erotic asphxiation angle, even then)..Belinda Brewin (and I know some people doubt her take at times) said Paula kept asking her "He did love me, didn't he? It's what keeps me awake at night".
Actually I never said, "just" a junkie. Addiction consumes a person, makes them selfish and illogical. And unfortunately her issues spilled over onto her family, primarily Peaches, obviously. She isn't deserving of hero worship.
---
Well said and I couldnt agree more- I can't bear anyone being referred to as "just a...." anything- who knows what has led them there, have some empathy
Reread my comment. No-one said "just" an anything.

Reactions: 11
Actually I never said, "just" a junkie. Addiction consumes a person, makes them selfish and illogical. And unfortunately her issues spilled over onto her family, primarily Peaches, obviously. She isn't deserving of hero worship.
---
Reread my comment. No-one said "just" an anything.
What you said did read to me as being dismissive, "just" or not? I'd guess the paparazzi following her had the same mindset, which is sad.

I'm well aware that depressed addicts can seem selfish and it's very hard to be around them.

Similarly, you're assuming I'm hero worshipping when I'm actually showing a bit of empathy for a woman who was so terrified near the end she becamse agoraphobic. And I did say some negative things about her.

Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.