Secret Celebrity Gossip #108

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have seen a lot of comics in my time - my faves Billy Connolly*, Micky Flanagan, Ross Noble, Alan Carr, Bob Monkhouse (dragged along as a family outing, was surprised at how good he was - like a comedy machine, completely different to his smarmy game show persona), Alan Davies, Rhod Gilbert. I am sure there are others. Comedy has always been my show outings rather than music/plays.

Ok - Sarah Millican, Lee Evans, Rob Brydon, Lee Mack, Greg Davies, Al Murray, Ardal OHanlon, Jack Dee.

Crap - Reginald D Hunter**, Hal Cruttcheon, John Bishop, Dara OB, Frank Carson (don’t ask!)

*seen Billy loads. The last time I fell asleep. He was always rambling as part of his act but this time it was terrible. I realise now it is part of his illness. He probably went on doing stand up for too long.

** Reginal DH was supported by an Aussie guy, called Steve Hughes. Apparantly a comedian’s comedian. At the venue something happened to the sound, fine for where I was but not further back. People kept shouting out to Hughes I can’t hear you. They tinkered with sound, he carried, same issue. He had a meltdown on the stage. Said something like I don’t need this, I haven’t been laid in weeks. And stormed off, so only did about 5 minutes “comedy” in all. When Reginald came on he had to apologise. He said not to judge SH on that one performance. It was the bizarrest thing. Reginald act was shite as well.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
I really enjoyed Bill Burr stand up. No one, nobody will beat Billy Connolly in my eyes though - such an amazing talent who’s storytelling had me crying with laughter 😆

Reactions: 6
I like Steve Hughes and I’ve met him a few times. When he’s good he’s brilliant but I’ve heard of him having bad gigs. He had 7 years off following a nervous breakdown.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I like Steve Hughes and I’ve met him a few times. When he’s good he’s brilliant but I’ve heard of him having bad gigs. He had 7 years off following a nervous breakdown.
I think I saw him about 12 years ago. Maybe it was just before then he had his breakdown. I can’t say whether he was good or bad, he barely did anything. Had a bizarre rant and walked off. Leaving RDH to pick up the pieces.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I think I saw him about 12 years ago. Maybe it was just before then he had his breakdown. I can’t say whether he was good or bad, he barely did anything. Had a bizarre rant and walked off. Leaving RDH to pick up the pieces.
I’ve heard about nights like that when he’s totally off. The times I’ve seen him he’s been on form.

I used to love RDH but last time I saw him it was so boring I think I fell asleep 🤣

Reactions: 2
Someone I'm always amazed has made a good career for himself out of comedy is Russell Howard. I saw him a few times as he used to support Daniel Kitson (who was always excellent). He and Daniel were very good friends and D always helped him get gigs, in small venues back then.
Russell was always painfully unfunny, every single time. One of those who isn't getting the laughs and the desparation starts to show and it becomes a bit embarrassing all round. He would start commenting on nobody laughing and get self pitying and then nasty about it.
I was always touched by Daniel's loyalty to him tbh, however misguided, and thought Russell would sink without trace. How on earth he is well known now is constantly baffling 😂

• Wow
Reactions: 15
I am guessing it was an older comedian rather than a younger one. It happened when she was trying again with her husband which was 2000 - the likes of RB would not have been around then, by which I mean, going to the same events as Les D and Amanda.
Is it definitely RB then? I wasn't sure how that had all panned out tbh.

Reactions: 1
Oh I forgot to mention Daniel Sloss on my list of favourite comedians. I first saw him live years ago when he was about 17. It was, as you’d expect, schoolboy humour but very funny and delivered brilliantly.

His more recent shows are very dark but still brilliant. I’m not sure if his last stand up is still on Netflix, if it is I completely recommend it or going to see him when he tours.

Reactions: 10
That’s a hard question! I loved Mike Wozniak - I think it was the relationship between him and Greg. Special mention to Richard Osman and Joe Wilkinson.
Yes! Mike Wozniak was amazing too. His solo “squeeze out a fart” task and how it ended has to be the funniest Taskmaster moment ever! I genuinely couldn’t breathe for laughing! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Someone I'm always amazed has made a good career for himself out of comedy is Russell Howard. I saw him a few times as he used to support Daniel Kitson (who was always excellent). He and Daniel were very good friends and D always helped him get gigs, in small venues back then.
Russell was always painfully unfunny, every single time. One of those who isn't getting the laughs and the desparation starts to show and it becomes a bit embarrassing all round. He would start commenting on nobody laughing and get self pitying and then nasty about it.
I was always touched by Daniel's loyalty to him tbh, however misguided, and thought Russell would sink without trace. How on earth he is well known now is constantly baffling 😂
This reminds me of when I saw Russell Howard at a small gig in Kentish Town many years ago and he kept targeting some woman in the audience who was indeed sitting with a face like thunder but his fascination with her went on for about five mins straight before he got heckled by a bunch of drunk off duty firemen - basically saying “have you got anything funny to say or are you just out to pick on women?”
He had an absolute tit fit and stormed off, mouthing off about not getting paid for this and that he had somewhere else to be where he could get paid.
I’ve never ever understood his appeal anyway but I’ll never forget that, the petulance and diva behaviour was off the bloody charts.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 30
I should also mention that I have the chance to go see Stewart Lee when he’s playing where I live next week, but I’m not going because I think he’s just not as good as he was. I won’t hear a bad word about him as I adored Fist of Fun and all that stuff but he’s just a bit of a rambling bore now, still funny, but not enough for me to fork out for a babysitter 😁

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
What ever happened to Rob Newman? I liked his stuff way back when. Doesn't seem to do much these days.

Reactions: 12
Years ago I saw Mark Lamarr compere something in Clapham with loads of comics, Jo Brand, Arthur Smith (and others who I've forgotten). And ML was surprisingly hilarious. Completely deadpan and very funny.
Whatever happened to him after Shooting Stars? Was there some scandal?

Reactions: 11
Years ago I saw Mark Lamarr compere something in Clapham with loads of comics, Jo Brand, Arthur Smith (and others who I've forgotten). And ML was surprisingly hilarious. Completely deadpan and very funny.
Whatever happened to him after Shooting Stars? Was there some scandal?
I believe he may have had mental health issues

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I should also mention that I have the chance to go see Stewart Lee when he’s playing where I live next week, but I’m not going because I think he’s just not as good as he was. I won’t hear a bad word about him as I adored Fist of Fun and all that stuff but he’s just a bit of a rambling bore now, still funny, but not enough for me to fork out for a babysitter 😁
He’s coming to my town but I’m giving him a miss. He’s not as funny as he thinks he is and carries a bit of a chip on his shoulder about some of the (funnier) more successful comedians I think.

Reactions: 3
Oh I forgot to mention Daniel Sloss on my list of favourite comedians. I first saw him live years ago when he was about 17. It was, as you’d expect, schoolboy humour but very funny and delivered brilliantly.

His more recent shows are very dark but still brilliant. I’m not sure if his last stand up is still on Netflix, if it is I completely recommend it or going to see him when he tours.
I had his first dvd, and even then was brilliant.

His two shows on Netflix were brilliant.

His show socio you can buy on his website and that also brilliant. He's also very attractive in that slightly unconventional way.

Would love to see him live some day.

Reactions: 4
I feel as if I’m the only person who doesn’t like James Acaster! Just find him a bit moany and negative but I’m in the minority 😂😂 my fave TM contestants were Bob Mortimer who I adore, Joe Wilkinson and Mike Wozniak x

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I feel as if I’m the only person who doesn’t like James Acaster! Just find him a bit moany and negative but I’m in the minority 😂😂 my fave TM contestants were Bob Mortimer who I adore, Joe Wilkinson and Mike Wozniak x
I have no idea who most of these people are! I saw Cannon and Ball in 1985, didn’t laugh once.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.