Secret Celeb Gossip #40

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hate the Kardashian circus, but the kids are soooo cute. šŸ˜
Well you get what you pay for.

I am gay.

I'm really not offended by the word "faggot". I don't think it's particularly prevalent and is pretty outraged in itself.

The line in Fairytale of New York uses the word in its Irish context. In Ireland a faggot is a lazy, slobbish person. Context is everything, and I don't think it needs to be removed. I haven't met a gay man in real life who disagrees.

I find ponce much more offensive. Ponce is absolutely a homophobic slur, and is relatively widely-used. I'm not sure how you haven't heard it before. It's to indicate someone who is limp-wristed, and a bit soft and up themselves. Picture a man who works in a department store.

I think the original poster was mixing up ponce with n. A n is a pedalo.

I suppose we all have different views. I detest "queer".
Well my very well informed mate told me the meaning, as he saw it. If itā€™s harmless in Ireland itā€™s not elsewhere, so Iā€™d err on the side of not having it in. I have heard of ponce, not used at a gay person just an nosying person as others on here have said too. Thereā€™s probably regional variations?
Iā€™m not confusing ponce with n once, as I know the origins of that. Itā€™s specifically for sex offenders.
Ponce could be used for women and men, to mean an annoying person not doing anything useful, or as a sponger. Gender neutral.

I agree, growing up in London 'ponce' was someone who always wanted something for nothing- always around to have a drink bought for them but their round was never bought. Or wanting fag, food etc but gave nothing in return. I never realised the homophobic connotations until this thread.
ponce has always been a pweirdo
I and others dispute this. As you say itā€™s not the case in London, it has two separate uses in London, both gender neutral. Maybe itā€™s a new trend? But Iā€™ve never heard it directed at a gay person.

I knew the original meaning of ponce was to live off of immoral earnings, but it then evolved to the other two meanings Iā€™ve outlined.

In the Cambridge Dictionary it has the sponger usage, and one including an ā€œeffete manā€ . That must be new. To me and the others on here.

Faggot, though ,even if harmless in Ireland isnā€™t elsewhere so I canā€™t see why it shouldnā€™t be taken out.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
They've missed a trick making it pre watershed!
They haven't. It's 9pm start so he is free to call the contestants "bleeping donkeys" to his heart's content.

And when the contestants are so bad, he can go full Hell's Kitchen shut down and scream "duck off out of here, shut it down!".

• Haha
Reactions: 9
meh its not totally harmless in Ireland, possibly in the 70s/80s I know I have an older family member who'd use it akin to a rascal, but that was in the late 80s, she herself wouldn't dream of using it now given it's universal meaning.

Reactions: 4
They haven't. It's 9pm start so he is free to call the contestants "bleeping donkeys" to his heart's content.

And when the contestants are so bad, he can go full Hell's Kitchen shut down and scream "duck off out of here, shut it down!".
Ahhh, I might watch it then! Lockdown hallucinations had me thinking it was an early family friendly start!

I watched him on Graham Norton, I like the colour of his hair at the mo, nice silvery tone in it.

Reactions: 1
I popped back in the hope that MM had returned to us šŸ™ šŸ˜˜ šŸ˜­ and I have just read pages and pages of conversation about what certain words mean :rolleyes: Maybe y'all need to start a dictionary thread?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
I've never seen a penis belonging to a man from Penistone. I wonder if any celebs come from there? They are called Penistonians :D
ETA: Just googled and 3 footballers hail from there, John Stones, Marc Roberts and Chris Roberts. Never heard of any of them.
Years ago when Richard Madeley worked at Yorkshire TV he did an outside broadcast from Penistone and all the way through it he pronounced it Penis Town and they let carry on without telling him. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 18
There a place on Ireland called muff and my friend once told me she was driving through muff. I did chuckle.

I have also heard of a place called wash Dyke lane.

• Haha
I am gay.

I'm really not offended by the word "faggot". I don't think it's particularly prevalent and is pretty outraged in itself.

The line in Fairytale of New York uses the word in its Irish context. In Ireland a faggot is a lazy, slobbish person. Context is everything, and I don't think it needs to be removed. I haven't met a gay man in real life who disagrees.

I find ponce much more offensive. Ponce is absolutely a homophobic slur, and is relatively widely-used. I'm not sure how you haven't heard it before. It's to indicate someone who is limp-wristed, and a bit soft and up themselves. Picture a man who works in a department store.

I think the original poster was mixing up ponce with n. A n is a pedalo.

I suppose we all have different views. I detest "queer".
I'm Irish, grew up in the 80s and 90s and it was always an insult. People used it disparagingly towards gay people and still do. We were always told not to say that word just because it was in a song, just like we were told not to say the N word.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
This is really interesting. Iā€™m the original poster and didnā€™t realise that it changes n to p0nce. Not sure if this is autocorrect or tattle. As Iā€™ve previously said, I never knew it was a homophobic slur and would never use it in that sense.

My male gay friends hate the word faggot more so the abbreviation fag. I think because people have used it in an aggressive and intimidating manner to them on nights out. My auntie who is a lesbian doesnā€™t mind it as much but, hates the word dyke. As she used to get that a lot in the 80s.

My best friend loves the word queer and my other friend cannot stand it. She also hates pride and doesnā€™t care for labels. Itā€™s personal preference isnā€™t it.

I think language evolves so much and now we have to be more careful as the meanings behind words become more apparent. I didnā€™t mean any offence when I posted it - Iā€™m not homophobic in the slightest.

I only learnt that uppity was racist when it was used to describe Meghan Markle. Weā€™ve always known it as someone being arrogant (up themselves). It wasnā€™t a word I used often but, now Iā€™ll never use it.

Will be more mindful in the future!!
I didnā€™t know uppity was racist either. Iā€™m now questioning everything I say

• Heart
Reactions: 11
There a place on Ireland called muff and my friend once told me she was driving through muff. I did chuckle.

I have also heard of a place called wash Dyke lane.
Ye Muff itā€™s in Donegal a fairly fishy area from what Iā€™ve heard šŸ‘ƒšŸ»

Iā€™m sorry couldnā€™t resist using another double meaning word.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
See Robbie Williams has a biopic coming out

I don't know if I'm annoyed because I personally don't like him (met him a few times- no tea really, just annoying) or because it makes me feel old.

I agree, growing up in London 'ponce' was someone who always wanted something for nothing- always around to have a drink bought for them but their round was never bought. Or wanting fag, food etc but gave nothing in return. I never realised the homophobic connotations until this thread.
ponce has always been a pweirdo
^^ same. Ponce was always used to describe someone wanting something without giving in return. Never heard it have homophobic meaning/association

Why is Gordon Ramsey hosting a game show? I am so confused?
My mum mentioned reading about this. Apparently he was producing the show and planning on having another host but ended up doing it himself because lockdown meant his restaurants were shut etc.

My mum mentioned reading about this. Apparently he was producing the show and planning on having another host but ended up doing it himself because lockdown meant his restaurants were shut etc.
Apparently he's lost alot of money through lockdown

Reactions: 1
It's probably a generation thing, I'm nearing 50 & I know many words that were 'acceptable' when I was a young un have certainly changed what their meaning is now. F****t was a meatball based meal for example.
Best way is to not use terms we don't understand and perhaps just be nice to each other.

See Robbie Williams has a biopic coming out

I don't know if I'm annoyed because I personally don't like him (met him a few times- no tea really, just annoying) or because it makes me feel old.
He was in the paper bemoaning the abuse he got from the Gallagher brothers and Oasis fans and that it made him leave the country. I was scratching my head, remembering that he sent Noel Gallagher a wreath that said 'Heard your latest album, with deepest sympathy' on it, plus the singing of 'Back for Good' on a motorised toilet, and the rather barbed comments he made at Jason Orange and Gary Barlow.

Do people think this is a case of dishing out but can't take it.....

Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.