Secret Celeb Gossip #40

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've got a friend who lives in Penistone, South Yorkshire. I took great delight in ordering her some personalised stationary (back when letter writing was a thing). Apparently it's pronounced Penny's Town but in our house it's always Penis Tone.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I've got a friend who lives in Penistone, South Yorkshire. I took great delight in ordering her some personalised stationary (back when letter writing was a thing). Apparently it's pronounced Penny's Town but in our house it's always Penis Tone.
I would imagine the men of penis tone to be quite tone deaf.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I used to live by a pub called Cock & Seaman šŸ¤Ŗ
A public an I know plans to open another micropub post lockdown. He has set up a Facebook poll to name it. My suggestion is currently well ahead. We could soon be sat in the Turtles Head

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I would imagine the men of penis tone to be quite tone deaf.
I've never seen a penis belonging to a man from Penistone. I wonder if any celebs come from there? They are called Penistonians :D
ETA: Just googled and 3 footballers hail from there, John Stones, Marc Roberts and Chris Roberts. Never heard of any of them.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
A public an I know plans to open another micropub post lockdown. He has set up a Facebook poll to name it. My suggestion is currently well ahead. We could soon be sat in the Turtles Head
I think we should arrange a Tattle night out there as soon as it is legal to do so. I'm hoping he gets beer mats and glasses with the name on.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Penistone...I had to think about that one long and hardšŸ¤”
šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7
A very good friend of mine who is very educated on gay issues and LGBTQ says Faggot comes from the burning of people, itā€™s a hateful term. I donā€™t know that most most people would know this, but the people it affects most, are likely to. So itā€™s not ā€œpolitical correctness gone madā€ to remove it. We learn, get educated we move on.

The ponce thing, though, since I never heard it directed at gay people canā€™t see that as homophobic, even if itā€™s roots were from then. Homophobes unfortunately have far more offensive unambiguously hurtful slurs to chose from. Iā€™ll have to look ponce up.
I am gay.

I'm really not offended by the word "faggot". I don't think it's particularly prevalent and is pretty outraged in itself.

The line in Fairytale of New York uses the word in its Irish context. In Ireland a faggot is a lazy, slobbish person. Context is everything, and I don't think it needs to be removed. I haven't met a gay man in real life who disagrees.

I find ponce much more offensive. Ponce is absolutely a homophobic slur, and is relatively widely-used. I'm not sure how you haven't heard it before. It's to indicate someone who is limp-wristed, and a bit soft and up themselves. Picture a man who works in a department store.

I think the original poster was mixing up ponce with n. A n is a pedalo.

I suppose we all have different views. I detest "queer".

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
I am gay.

I'm really not offended by the word "faggot". I don't think it's particularly prevalent and is pretty outraged in itself.

The line in Fairytale of New York uses the word in its Irish context. In Ireland a faggot is a lazy, slobbish person. Context is everything, and I don't think it needs to be removed. I haven't met a gay man in real life who disagrees.

I find ponce much more offensive. Ponce is absolutely a homophobic slur, and is relatively widely-used. I'm not sure how you haven't heard it before. It's to indicate someone who is limp-wristed, and a bit soft and up themselves. Picture a man who works in a department store.

Awww, this is really interesting. I've admitted further up that I had no idea what the word ponce meant and after seeing the description I would never use it. It's interesting how language evolves as well. Like certain words are ok when used by a certain group of people (usually marginalised who use the word to take back power). I'm not gay but love the word queer. I think it is used in quite a modern context even though I used to hear my Dad use it back in the day. Can I ask why you don't like it?

Where I grew up, the word faggot was an aggressive insult. I would never, ever say it.

Reactions: 1
Re rude or suggestive names ...near where I live there are two villages ...Didling and Cocking...the car parks must be interesting of a summer night ..

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I am gay.

I agree, growing up in London 'ponce' was someone who always wanted something for nothing- always around to have a drink bought for them but their round was never bought. Or wanting fag, food etc but gave nothing in return. I never realised the homophobic connotations until this thread.
Nonce has always been a pweirdo

Reactions: 11
I am gay.

This is really interesting. Iā€™m the original poster and didnā€™t realise that it changes n to p0nce. Not sure if this is autocorrect or tattle. As Iā€™ve previously said, I never knew it was a homophobic slur and would never use it in that sense.

My male gay friends hate the word faggot more so the abbreviation fag. I think because people have used it in an aggressive and intimidating manner to them on nights out. My auntie who is a lesbian doesnā€™t mind it as much but, hates the word dyke. As she used to get that a lot in the 80s.

My best friend loves the word queer and my other friend cannot stand it. She also hates pride and doesnā€™t care for labels. Itā€™s personal preference isnā€™t it.

I think language evolves so much and now we have to be more careful as the meanings behind words become more apparent. I didnā€™t mean any offence when I posted it - Iā€™m not homophobic in the slightest.

I only learnt that uppity was racist when it was used to describe Meghan Markle. Weā€™ve always known it as someone being arrogant (up themselves). It wasnā€™t a word I used often but, now Iā€™ll never use it.

Will be more mindful in the future!!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.