Sali Hughes #52 Been there, seen it, done it, knew about it first. Always done it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is me in the car, looking pensive. This is me in the street, first filming myself, them having someone film for me. ME ME ME.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
Will Sali have made a speech? If so, will it be the usual one about how smart women can wear lipstick? Or maybe that cheap crisps are better than posh ones? "Fact". "Get in me".
No speech, and the entire day yesterday was an absolute shitshow (a friend of mine works at Cardiff Uni 🔺), so very few people will be looking back on it fondly as “a wonderful day”.

Still, at least she got to wear a dress that matched a dress that was designed for her for her wedding (eyeroll at that cringe nonsense), and to add another “honour” to her bio. Thankfully not one that will allow her to call herself Dr. Sali though.

ETA: Who Dis?! It’s fascinating seeing pics/vid of her in the wild that she hasn’t been able to facetune the hell out of. Why she was scared of leaving the house because: Tattlers I have no idea. Even if she was in mortal danger (she wasn’t), she looks like a completely different person IRL
AE6DD227-4429-400F-8540-84E42C2FB815.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
Any truth to the rumours that it was an honorary fellowship in snippiness & condescension for our Sal?

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I've no quibble with her being recognised for her charitable work. As ever with SH, I'm never sure that things are quite as she presents them, but - genuinely - good for her for doing something.

But journalism?

And why doesn't anyone ever check (e.g. whether she is an editor) rather that just repeat her agent's blub? This from the University's website:

1658484044052.png

• Sad
Reactions: 18
Even people who've actually studied and worked hard for their academic award (and have the student debt to show for it) don't seem to make as big a deal as Sali is over the 'honorary fellowship'

Reactions: 18
E54D95EF-4A92-446A-89F1-EC17DF98F283.jpeg

“The names are - unsurprisingly - a writer’s dream”. Calm down babe

• Haha
Reactions: 15
So much to say 🥹

First, I don't think that the VW dresses are hideous. Susie Cave is an absolute goddess and she looks miraculous in her own creations. Florence Welch also looks good in them. I think if you have that kooky/witchy/ethereal look anyway you can wear the dresses and not look like they are wearing you. I hate seeing basic ass Brendas in them though. They are not for everyone and certainly not Sali who has no idea how to accessories them, those vile Hermes sandals do not go with that dress.

Secondly, why does she film/photograph herself candidly. We know it's you holding the camera you daft bint, stop pretending you don't know you're being filmed it's embarrassing. If she was at least smiling at the camera or even gurning a la Caitlin Moron, it would be better. But pretending to gaze wistfully out of the car window is twatty.

Thirdly, good cameo appearance from Nookie Bear looking for all the world like a gormless potato.

That stadium looked bleeping tit as well, like they were doing a grad ceremony on an indoor construction site.

• Haha
Reactions: 26
I've no quibble with her being recognised for her charitable work.
I do. She hasn't yet contributed or innovated anything that would justify an honorary fellowship imo.

Cardiff Uni have seriously fucked up, presumably in an attempt to be inclusive (of influencers?).

What has really angered me is that she is put in the same list, sentence and selfie as Carole Cadwalladr. Laughable. I know no one with any sense is actually comparing Sali’s weekly word salad with Cadwalladr’s brave and vital investigative journalism, but still. FFS.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
I do. She hasn't yet contributed or innovated anything that would justify an honorary fellowship imo.

Cardiff Uni have seriously fucked up, presumably in an attempt to be inclusive (of influencers?).

What has really angered me is that she is put in the same list, sentence and selfie as Carole Cadwalladr. Laughable. I know no one with any sense is actually comparing Sali’s weekly word salad with Cadwalladr’s brave and vital investigative journalism, but still. FFS.
I don't know what the criteria are for awarding an honorary fellowship but I agree that it's outrageous for her 'journalism' to be considered anything like the equivalent to that Carole Cadwalladr.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I’ll have whatever Beth Fisher is drinking 😳 It’s absolutely ludicrous to mention Sali’s beauty column in the same sentence as Carole’s contributions to journalism.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Cadwalladr is Welsh, I don't know about the other honorary alumni from yesterday but I think they're granting honoraries to Welsh people in which case, the barrel won't have been that big to scrape from.

Not saying that CC is scraping the barrell,far from it. She's very deserving. But there can't be many Welsh journalists?

Reactions: 4
I just watched the reel and it's wild! Taking a video of oneself while not looking into the camera and looking out the window pretending to be wistful, who does that?!

• Haha
Reactions: 9
sorry i need to rant, as someone who has previously worked in academia, and whose partner currently does.

I have no problem with honourary fellowships/doctorates IF the person receiving them doesn't flounce their new 'title' around as if they have put in the same amount of work as someone who gained a doctorate or fellowship the traditional way (not saying someone hasn't also put in a lot of work in their own field to be honoured like this obviously, but you cannot say you truly have a doctorate or a fellowship if it's honourary, as I've seen some people do).

A doctorate is an INSANE amount of work, and then trying to get a fellowship after all of that is, often, an uphill battle, multiple extensive applications/interviews etc for possibly a one year contract on relatively tit pay compared to jobs in other fields.

I saw how gruelling a PhD was and the ridiculous hoops my colleauges had to jump through for temporary fellowships and how hard my partner is working on a fellowship application literally at the moment and it makes me mad when people treat honourary degrees as akin to the real thing, so dismissive.

• Heart
Reactions: 45
First, I don't think that the VW dresses are hideous. Susie Cave is an absolute goddess and she looks miraculous in her own creations. Florence Welch also looks good in them. I think if you have that kooky/witchy/ethereal look anyway you can wear the dresses and not look like they are wearing you. I hate seeing basic ass Brendas in them though. They are not for everyone and certainly not Sali who has no idea how to accessories them, those vile Hermes sandals do not go with that dress.
I like the dress but to say it was 'custom-made for me' suggests - to me - a one off. As others have said, that particular dress had been around a while. I saw it worn by Dakota Johnson in February 2017 - and so, it seems, did SH.

1658491735510.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.