Sali Hughes #52 Been there, seen it, done it, knew about it first. Always done it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you think she wrote that blurb herself?
I was wondering the same thing! I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe with a tiny Marian Keyes on her shoulder and in her ear. "Noo! Don't scratch out 'beloved', it's the truth!" 🧚‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Sample of SH reading Pretty Honest here https://harpercollins.co.uk/product...-companion-sali-hughes?variant=32555897520206
You'll never guess what the clip addresses 💤
It’s so odd that she reads in such a detached storytelling voice, rather than sounding as if she’s reading her own words/telling her own story about something that was so purportedly formative to her, and a wider subject about which she’s so passionate she’s built her entire career on it.

It’s like “bored and slightly patronizing but somebody might be watching” Prefect Sali Hughes reading a dated Enid Blyton book to after school club.

Disclaimer- I lasted at most ten seconds. That was quite enough.

Despite my own better judgment I listened to it past the first few seconds, from her fictitious Valleys Nana bestowing clunkily and precisely phrased verbal wisdom while wielding her lipstick like Jamie and his Magic Torch to Sali’s “I believe that the only thing worse than feeling like crap is looking like crap too.” Hence the “huge care packages of skincare and makeup she invariably sends” to her friends. All still within the first minute.

I’ve met deeper puddles than this narcissistic regressive idiot. It is a source of eternal shame to me that I ever thought she ever had anything useful to impart. Calling @Bluebellesse! Summoning emergency Yakety Sax 😆 #nopressure 😆

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 34
Sali’s “I believe that the only thing worse than feeling like crap is looking like crap too.”
Awful isn't it? Reminiscent of that horrible Elizabeth Taylor quote about about putting some lippie on while you decend into alcoholism. Why would anyone aspire to live their life according to these silly aphorisms?
She says the interest in surface/lacking depth thing that she copied from below the line *again*. Perhaps that's why this book took so long - no comments under her column to pilfer anymore

• Sad
Reactions: 21
So preoccupied with appearance. So old fashioned.
And so preoccupied with constant consumerism to heal all ills. Any excuse to go out and buy yet more bloody stuff - hence the vast 'care packages' to send to various friends.
I imagine there was advice to buy something treaty and spendy for yourself if you have any problem.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Where did she say that she always got friends (or probably "girlfriends") Crème de la Mer when they were having a difficult time? Was it in one of her videos? Wonder if that advice will go into the book? I somehow doubt it, even she's not that daft

Reactions: 11
Where did she say that she always got friends (or probably "girlfriends") Crème de la Mer when they were having a difficult time? Was it in one of her videos? Wonder if that advice will go into the book? I somehow doubt it, even she's not that daft
Yes I think it was a video where she talked about some favourites (or something). I seem to remember she said Crème de la Mer so many times it became like white noise - 'My next choice is Crème de la Mer. I'll tell you the reason I love Crème de la Mer. The reason I love Crème de la Mer is that Crème de la Mer.....' but for at least 10 minutes.
I bet it will be in the new book in some form.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
What is the best care package? Deliveroo voucher for sick / depressed in bed or flower delivery if the person has their basic needs met?

Reactions: 8
Do you think she wrote that blurb herself?
To answer my own question, apart from some of the expressions - 'love letter to makeup' 'painfully funny' - I think there are two main giveaways.

First, selling it as something never before seen. Beauty books used to be this or that. Not anymore. Same as with selling the Revolution collab. Skincare used to be a complicated business. Not anymore.

Second, her love of the 'elegant variation'. In the first paragraph after the quote, rather than repeat the word 'books', we have 'coffee-table affairs', 'product review-heavy volumes' and - reaching for the thesaurus - 'tracts of holistic mumbo jumbo'.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Sisley Black Rose mask is another favourite for her care package. Didn't she say it was like ordering from the third half of the wine list or something

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 14
Sisley Black Rose mask is another favourite for her care package. Didn't she say it was like ordering from the third half of the wine list or something
Ugh I bought that (a mini) after she recommended it. Thought it was overrated and so bloody expensive.

Reactions: 10
What is the best care package? Deliveroo voucher for sick / depressed in bed or flower delivery if the person has their basic needs met?
This might just be a personal thing, but whenever I'm having a depressive episode, I find flowers quite annoying. That obviously sounds terrible because the sentiment is lovely and it's a very kind gesture, but having to arrange them and then watch them deteriorate bums me out. I never seem to have the energy to throw them away before they decay, which makes me feel lazy and useless.

Vouchers for Cook are a good gift for a depressive. They can pick some options and then have some tasty, nutritious meals without having to do anything other than put it in the oven for half an hour.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
This might just be a personal thing, but whenever I'm having a depressive episode, I find flowers quite annoying. That obviously sounds terrible because the sentiment is lovely and it's a very kind gesture, but having to arrange them and then watch them deteriorate bums me out. I never seem to have the energy to throw them away before they decay, which makes me feel lazy and useless.

Vouchers for Cook are a good gift for a depressive. They can pick some options and then have some tasty, nutritious meals without having to do anything other than put it in the oven for half an hour.
I'm with you on the flowers. Even in a not depressed state I found flowers more hassle than what they cost. My boss kept sending me huge birthday bouquets. One year I had to run out and buy the biggest glass bucket available (vase doesn't cover the size needed). I asked him to stop because I found it wasteful. He gets me concert tickets instead.

Reactions: 12
I start to feel in sympatico with them when they start to wilt then rot

Husband goes to throw them out.
Me: "No, leave them. They look how I feel"

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I think sending a plant is nicer (if the recipient is a plant person) in this case as they shouldn't end up dying out in a week.

If I were in bed sick or depressed would love to receive an Uber Eats delivery as a gift. I've never thought of a care package of beauty stuff, but that's kind of nice too? I guess it depends on the person really... some might take it the wrong way if you send over a bunch of face masks

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.