Sali Hughes #45 Old School Influencer - Shades of slurry and Weetabix

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In that comment she comes across - to me - as genuinely taken aback that someone could have thought there was room for improvement.

I think her view of herself (or of her content/brand) as unimprovable is part of her problem with here. Because she doesn't, it seems, accept that there could be any valid criticism, our critical comments here must therefore be motivated by some inexplicable hatred of her or by the sort of mental health that needs 'help'.
Agreed. And I suppose when she started journalism there was no below the line. The only feedback would have come in the form of letters. So she’s still got some of that old guard entitlement. Added to which she still sees herself as a journalist, rather than a salesperson, and being nice to the trade is not part of the job description

Reactions: 18
Does anyone else notice that the majority of her reviews/recommendations are always with companies she has or had "relationships" with? She does not stray far from their comforting paychecks.

• Angry
Reactions: 23
She's a magazine features writer turned influencer, she wouldn't know proper journalism if it jumped up and bit her on the arse.

I used to enjoy the btl comments in the graun but have always been deeply bemused by her self appointed beauty expert status. Parroting PR guff does not an expert make.

Lastly, the thing about cool is that it has to be effortless and trying so hard to be at any age is sad, at 47 it's tragic (I am the same age as she here). One of the most freeing parts of middle age is no longer giving a duck about what people think about you.

• Heart
Reactions: 35
The becca under eye brightener is coming back in March. It’s going to be Becca/Smashbox but exactly the same formula.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
In that comment she comes across - to me - as genuinely taken aback that someone could have thought there was room for improvement.

I think her view of herself (or of her content/brand) as unimprovable is part of her problem with here. Because she doesn't, it seems, accept that there could be any valid criticism, our critical comments here must therefore be motivated by some inexplicable hatred of her or by the sort of mental health that needs 'help'.
This is a good point, well made. The blurred line between writing for press and influencing doesn’t help. Influencing is selling “yourself as a brand” to promote brands. Criticism of “a piece” can be batted away - it’s what the brief required, the subs changed something, I don’t write the headline, you don’t know “me” from one article.
That doesn’t work on social media so every criticism is personal.

Reactions: 19

It’s because she thinks she’s doing us a favour by bestowing her wisdom, almost as though she’s doing it for free.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
It’s because she thinks she’s doing us a favour by bestowing her wisdom, almost as though she’s doing it for free.
Yes, she definitely feels her followers owe her a debt of gratitude

"Pay me in praise, shower me with compliments"

• Sick
  • Sad
She did the same over her retinols video, such a lead up, promising it “this weekend, hopefully” but not delivering. You’d think she’s producing a major motion picture. Odd. But then the world of an Expert Content Creator is a closed book to me. Talking of books… 🤔
I'm still eagerly awaiting the Murad pigmentation serum content.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
That face palm was pathetic. Next time she’s a snippy cow to a commenter asking a question about something a brand has paid her to present I’m resolved to complain to the brand. She won’t listen to feedback from her followers maybe instead she’ll behave for the money.

• Heart
Does anyone else notice that the majority of her reviews/recommendations are always with companies she has or had "relationships" with? She does not stray far from their comforting paychecks.
Nor is there ever any kind of in-depth research involved.

Reactions: 9
What happened with that?! I bought the Murad serum off the back of her video but when I went back an hour later it was gone?! And the serum destroyed my skin 😑
Others will remember more details. But I think from memory basically she was paid to promote the serum and in the video mentioned the benefits of vitamin c for the skin…an ingredient which isn’t in the serum! It was pointed out in the comments and the video was taken down. She had some vague stories saying it would be back up soon. But nothing ever eventuated.

I’m sorry it didn’t work for your skin 😞 has it healed up somewhat since?

Reactions: 4
How many foundations do you beef-faces tend to use regularly? It pissed me off in Sali's video when she said that she doesn't think any woman would only own one foundation. Well, I only own one. I like the way it makes my skin look, so why would I keep shopping around?

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I only use one also and it tends to last me just under a year. I know the forum type mentality is to have a 'foundation wardrobe' but to me that's incredibly wasteful and unnecessary

• Wow
Reactions: 17
I have two - one for winter and a darker one for summer as I tan quite easily. They tend to last me a couple of years as I don't wear it anything like every day. I have Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser for winter in Nude and a very expensive Zelens one for summer which is absolutely the loveliest skin-like formula I have ever tried and does not settle in pores and lines (and has, inevitably, been discontinued).

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Others will remember more details. But I think from memory basically she was paid to promote the serum and in the video mentioned the benefits of vitamin c for the skin…an ingredient which isn’t in the serum! It was pointed out in the comments and the video was taken down. She had some vague stories saying it would be back up soon. But nothing ever eventuated.

I’m sorry it didn’t work for your skin 😞 has it healed up somewhat since?
I think @blahblahblah85 is joking 😉

Reactions: 1
How many foundations do you beef-faces tend to use regularly? It pissed me off in Sali's video when she said that she doesn't think any woman would only own one foundation. Well, I only own one. I like the way it makes my skin look, so why would I keep shopping around?
I'm glad you said that. I have one and use it until it runs out. The one atm is a Boots No 7 I got for £5 in a clear out sale and is lovely. I don't even bother to look for a new one until I need it. But then again that is my jam 🤭

Reactions: 7
I don't wear foundation at all these days. My sunscreen (Australian Gold) is slightly tinted and gives the perfect finish on me. I sometimes use a bit of concealer, using the Lisa Eldridge pinpoint concealing technique.

I think foundation on older skin, especially in daylight, is tricky. Even on SH - younger than me and pretty good skin - you can see the foundation sitting on the surface, collecting a bit in the lines.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.