Sali Hughes #38 True to size. Mine is XS

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Fascinating! I also like being called a tea site 🤣 it’s so polar opposite to “dragging site” the uninitiated or hard of understanding would think we are literally having afternoon tea 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 18
The thing is influencing is basically a sales job. If you work for a company you get performance reviews, your colleagues may gossip about your work, you may end up reviewed on Yelp, Trip advisor, Google, and I'm sure there are many other places .

You cannot review, ask questions or communicate anything to an influencer that is not glowing. Comments get deleted or you get accused of trolling. You invite these people in to your life, they work to try to form a bond with their viewers. Viewers are entitled to hold opinions whether it be negative or positive. This should not be a shock to them. We all have to go through it in our own careers. Why do they expect to not have their performances reviewed or questioned?

• Heart
Reactions: 33
The thing is influencing is basically a sales job. If you work for a company you get performance reviews, your colleagues may gossip about your work, you may end up reviewed on Yelp, Trip advisor, Google, and I'm sure there are many other places .

You cannot review, ask questions or communicate anything to an influencer that is not glowing. Comments get deleted or you get accused of trolling. You invite these people in to your life, they work to try to form a bond with their viewers. Viewers are entitled to hold opinions whether it be negative or positive. This should not be a shock to them. We all have to go through it in our own careers. Why do they expect to not have their performances reviewed or questioned?
💯 agree with this. Totally sums it up.

Reactions: 12
Hahaha. It happened to me once when I was getting my sons new school shoes. A bloke followed us there and stood outside looking at me through the windows for ages. I told the assistant and they got security to tell him to sod off. Completely forgot about that. I've held purveyors of footwear in high esteem ever since though I must own I am not amongst their ranks.
The staff who sell school shoes really are a marvelous and special sort. Wielding those foot measurement devices with deadly precision and pressing down firmly on toe boxes to show each parent there's 'room to grow'. Plus the disappointed look whenever a parent admits to not having brought along a pair of socks, and they reluctantly get a store pair out.

(I still feel a spot of shame if I forget socks as an adult buying shoes for myself :LOL:)

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I loved getting new school shoes, sat up on the little stage area that had a tropical fish tank backdrop. We called the lady who worked there "Aunty Valmay", even though she wasn't a relative 😁

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

And I wouldn't say it was even an honest type of sales job. As that book quoted by Hemmo says, influencing is continually hiding/disguising its intentions.

I think there is now general compliance with the requirement to state upfront when an IG post is an ad, but when an 'ad' post looks and feels the same as a not-ad post, and when not-ad posts are caveated with (the possibly technically true but ridiculous sounding) 'I am being paid to promote this product but I'm not being being paid to promote it here', and when not-ad posts publicise products and services that were PR 'gifts'...

• Heart
Reactions: 17
And I wouldn't say it was even an honest type of sales job. As that book quoted by Hemmo says, influencing is continually hiding/disguising its intentions.
Especially when sometimes in your job you are claiming to be completely impartial and in no way selling anything and other times….

Reactions: 10
'I am being paid to promote this product but I'm not being being paid to promote it here'
It gets ridiculous people saying "this isn't really an ad" because they're not contractually obliged to post what they have. But it's still an ad as they have a business relationship! In their head it's a freebie ad for the brand so they are outraged that legally it's an AD without a payment.

It doesn't take someone smart to realise why posts to win favour or carry on a relationship should be declared.

Reactions: 15

I think there is now general compliance with the requirement to state upfront when an IG post is an ad, but when an 'ad' post looks and feels the same as a not-ad post, and when not-ad posts are caveated with (the possibly technically true but ridiculous sounding) 'I am being paid to promote this product but I'm not being being paid to promote it here', and when not-ad posts publicise products and services that were PR 'gifts'...
That is it exactly. Say for eg Sali's relationship with Bobbi Brown. She has now done two videos for her Jones Rd stuff and given it lots of mentions.
She has had a paid campaign with her in the past, and presumably would not want to duck up her chances of getting another one.
So I'm sorry but her views on anything BB does will never be impartial (ignore the token hard hitting 'oh I don't like the lipgloss' 🥴) and Bobbi knows this, so Sali is in effect advertising Jones Road for her (not to mention all the free product Sali is sent which must add up many hundreds if not thousands as it isn't cheap).
This is when the waters are so murky and muddy - technically it isn't an #ad (though strict ASA rules dictate getting freebies and talking about them favourably does count as an ad even without payment), but of course everyone knows it is.

Reactions: 23
Hello All,

I have posted here once or twice but you all put things so well and concisely that I prefer to read what you post. I don’t have anything original to say but thank you for all your thoughts .
Anyway , what am I pissed off at now ? you’ve already covered it and I feel seen as my daughters say.
1. the CT flare up- Sali Hughes attempted to argue that the treatment of CT was misogynistic. Failing of course to follow the argument to its logical conclusion ,ie the beauty industry is itself inherently deeply misogynistic and preys on insecurity. Does Sali really not understand that or is she being a good foot soldier for the consumerist machine ?
2. Bloody Jones road. I hate the name - it must mean something special to BB to to me it’s ‘look how different this is , we aren’t more of the same, honest’. All the usual suspects were peddling the products. From what I could see the products either did little ( I know it’s meant to be a minimal look) or , in case of the balm, made the wearer look worse! Shiny and blotchy.
3. The sales person thing . If I ever see an ad on tv now I’m struck by how honest it is. Straightforward selling. How cute. Most selling is so much more insidious on Instagram etc because you don’t always know where the line is . A bit like product placement.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
@Icicles you may be amused to find out The Jones Road name isn’t even a sentimental place to Bobbi.
After trying to figure out a name for weeks, Brown explains to Byrdie exclusively how a trip out to the Hamptons helped her discover the brand name. "I looked down and there it was on the WAZE navigation app: Jones Road. I immediately loved the name and so did my husband and the team. We checked to see if it was available and it was, so the brand became Jones Road,'" she tells us.

A bad name for a brand all thanks to a navigation app in the Hamptons 😆

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
Jones Road is very important though because with the help of a huge jar of overpriced tinted vaseline we can #notlooklikeshit.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
(Btw, I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of SH's Twitter posts. I searched her @ + fridge the other day because I'm sure she's said before that skincare fridges are unnecessary)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.