Sali Hughes #35 She wore Vampire's Wife dresses when they were still Vampire's Girlfriend

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I haven't paid much attention to ole Sali for a while but bugger me, what has she done to herself?
Had her hair dyed grey for reasons that don't make much sense and refused to change her make-up to compensate for the draining effect the grey tones have on her skin.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
there is a review where basically they wanted that fragrance to smell more like a gay gym and it didn’t but it smelt quite nice. One star!
Putain des palaces is actually quite nice but jasmin et cigarettes is the only one I would buy
I love Spice Must Flow as well as Jasmin & Cigarette.

Reactions: 2
All this perfume chat had me reading some reviews of Etat Libre d'Orange on Fragrantia and my gosh some of the members there write the most entertaining reviews. For Rien:

It smells like medieval death on me. If you know the Pieter Bruegel painting, The Triumph of Death, that's what it's like. Blood and sharp sticks, and a world where everything is brown and frightening. I was talking with some pals in a groupchat, about which perfume I was about to try. When I put this on, they received multiple messages of my soul screaming, including, '[Expletive] hell, it's like knives' and, 'It smells like sleep paralysis.'

...if you've any tendency to smell like blood and horror if amber or patchouli decide to play oddly with your skin chemistry, please, spare yourself the pain. Unless you're very much into the idea of smelling like a soul in torment. If that is the case, I hope you have a lovely time.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
That is just it. She here seems to spend her time imagining she is Liz Taylor. Ballsy broad with pistols in her knickers not giving a duck about convention and sexily applying lippy while men look on adoringly and women enviously.
But Liz Taylor really genuinely did not appear to give a duck. When asked if if she worried people thought she was fat she said 'why the duck should I care? I am fat'.
But Sali painfully, and actually quite normally, does care very much. Image is absolutely everything. Including her carefully curated 'look how much I don't give af' posts.
This is SH to a T. Or how she wants to be perceived anyway.

Her whole persona, created in her writing (which almost always includes self-referencing) is to show she is not NORMAL. But she is normal, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Btw, her hair looks ash blonde to me and not in the slightest bit grey. I quite like it.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Is “I bought” a bit like “I paid, but got a hefty discount for being an influencer a journalist”?

• Wow
On Woman's Hour Claudia Winkleman was talking about her recent book. It sounded so similar to Sali's forthcoming one. Part memoir. Part quirky and wry take on life. Part lifestyle guide. (Including a chapter on cheese).
Far from being unique it is such a saturated market. I do seriously wonder who Sali's book is aimed at - she is not that well known to interest a casual browser. I just can't see the mass appeal of 'the Guardian's beauty editor's thoughts on mashed potato'.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
On Woman's Hour Claudia Winkleman was talking about her recent book. It sounded so similar to Sali's forthcoming one. Part memoir. Part quirky and wry take on life. Part lifestyle guide. (Including a chapter on cheese).
Far from being unique it is such a saturated market. I do seriously wonder who Sali's book is aimed at - she is not that well known to interest a casual browser. I just can't see the mass appeal of 'the Guardian's beauty editor's thoughts on mashed potato'.
I read CW’s book when it came out and found it disappointing. Started off funny and went downhill into categorical black-and-white opinions on anything and everything. Unless this is her public persona which she pays up to, it turns out Claudia has a LOT of rules. I used to find her funny, but after reading the book, it’s made me see her in a different light.

There’s been an explosion in celebs coming out with books, suddenly they all have something important to say. Reckon it’s just another avenue to generate income and cash in on their popularity. I still can’t get over the fact that our Mrs. Cool wrote a book about the queen’s wardrobe and won’t be holding my breath for her next one.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
I read CW’s book when it came out and found it disappointing. Started off funny and went downhill into categorical black-and-white opinions on anything and everything. Unless this is her public persona which she pays up to, it turns out Claudia has a LOT of rules. I used to find her funny, but after reading the book, it’s made me see her in a different light.

There’s been an explosion in celebs coming out with books, suddenly they all have something important to say. Reckon it’s just another avenue to generate income and cash in on their popularity. I still can’t get over the fact that our Mrs. Cool wrote a book about the queen’s wardrobe and won’t be holding my breath for her next one.
Same here. I'd always felt well disposed towards CW but the book left me rather disliking her. I think it was the assumption that the reader had all the same - affluent west London - concerns that she has. Difficult to get the right tone in that sort of book.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Exactly, @Aude. For me it’s also the fact someone considers themselves knowledgable and wise enough to write a book on life (any) advice in the first place. It takes a certain type of person to do that. Often seems the ones so detached from the reality of normal folk, it beggars belief.

Reactions: 8
I find CW disingenuous and irritating. In interviews she always emphasises her ditsiness and laziness, but she is a Cambridge graduate and even with the family connections, there is no way she would be as successful in her career without a lot of drive, hard work and networking. She always says how she naps all the time and is so useless, but it's all an act.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Badly cut, make her look bigger than she is. Sandals- hideous. Looks like a hairdresser on duty.
Oh my goodness that's exactly it. As a hairdresser she would be gossipy and bitchy and vain , doing her own hair more than yours... a real Victoria Wood character.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I find CW disingenuous and irritating. In interviews she always emphasises her ditsiness and laziness, but she is a Cambridge graduate and even with the family connections, there is no way she would be as successful in her career without a lot of drive, hard work and networking. She always says how she naps all the time and is so useless, but it's all an act.
I think that’s partly a reaction to distinguish her from her mother who was incredibly hard working and groundbreaking as a female editor working in the tabloids. Whether conscious or not she does act like everything she does is accidental and slapdash rather than deliberate. Her in the bathroom with was almost designed to make SH very uncomfortable- she didn’t know brands or how old things were she left tan lines on her bath (allegedly) and I thought it was a wind up.

Reactions: 11
I think that’s partly a reaction to distinguish her from her mother who was incredibly hard working and groundbreaking as a female editor working in the tabloids. Whether conscious or not she does act like everything she does is accidental and slapdash rather than deliberate. Her in the bathroom with was almost designed to make SH very uncomfortable- she didn’t know brands or how old things were she left tan lines on her bath (allegedly) and I thought it was a wind up.
There is a definite element of that. She comes across as someone uncomfortable of her privilege and connections. I found it refreshing to start with, but after a while it just feels like an act. She likes saying it’s the fringe that she gets hired for. Erm, no. Call as it is- you are good at your job and the connections helped along the way. I’m not a fan of fake humility especially in women who are suppressed from speaking up and owing their lives and achievements all the time.
As for CW’s grooming habits, I don’t believe for a second she is slapdash and never looks in the mirror (apparently they are banned in her house). The ITB video was contrived and made little sense to the beauty lovers audience it’s aimed at.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14
There's something of the "I didn't do a tap of study but still came out with all straight As" about her

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Absolutely. I definitely do not buy the 'Can't work out how I seem to have a top BBC job' shtick that she routinely trots out. Also the, I roll out of bed, don't brush my hair or wash my face and just pull on any old thing. Yeah yeah.

Badly cut, make her look bigger than she is. Sandals- hideous. Looks like a hairdresser on duty.
God you're so right. Down to the overly processed hair. (I was at the hairdresser's yesterday and that's exactly how they dressed. Including the chunky sandals)
The only thing that's missing is really long fake nails in a hot orange leaning pink.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
'I bought'? duck me you'd have to pay me to wear them and believe me my fashion credentials are non existent.
I quite like the shape, but the shiny material makes them look like the lower half of an 80s shell suit. 😬
They also need the hems taking up because the length is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.