Sali Hughes #26 Lipstick, lube and liberalism

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A good 10-15 years since she had teenage daughters my Mum is still annoyed about the towels we accidentally bleached with the acne products we hoped would magically fix our skin. So much Benzoyl Peroxide. Plus teeth whitening toothpastes.
Whenever I visit now I always make sure to use an old towel just in case I accidentally ruin another one of her nice ones :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 8
A good 10-15 years since she had teenage daughters my Mum is still annoyed about the towels we accidentally bleached with the acne products we hoped would magically fix our skin. So much Benzoyl Peroxide. Plus teeth whitening toothpastes.
Whenever I visit now I always make sure to use an old towel just in case I accidentally ruin another one of her nice ones :ROFLMAO:
Same here! I’m 32 now and it still haunts me so every time I stay at my parents’ it’s “Muuuuum which towel can I use?”

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Same! My dad still bangs on about towels I got hair dye all over in 1998.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Have you seen the Christmas special of Motherland where Julia’s mum asks her for a towel because the ones she’s put out are scratchy? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I remember using Olay exfoliating face wipes years ago and loving them. They were discontinued but they were so good
I can't give up my Olay Daily Facial cloths, the dry ones that foam up with water, and not just for travel. Since they've been repackaged they're more expensive at £6.99 for pack of 30, but I stock up every few months with 3 for 2 and other offers. I feel guilty about using disposables so I make good use of each one. I use a cloth to take off all my makeup every evening, I then rinse it out and let it dry overnight. In the morning I use it with spray to wipe the basin then the loo, not caring that it's discoloured from mascara, and put it in the bin. Did I really just share such a dreary domestic detail?

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I can't give up my Olay Daily Facial cloths, the dry ones that foam up with water, and not just for travel. Since they've been repackaged they're more expensive at £6.99 for pack of 30, but I stock up every few months with 3 for 2 and other offers. I feel guilty about using disposables so I make good use of each one. I use a cloth to take off all my makeup every evening, I then rinse it out and let it dry overnight. In the morning I use it with spray to wipe the basin then the loo, not caring that it's discoloured from mascara, and put it in the bin. Did I really just share such a dreary domestic detail?
I remember being a fan of those cloths!

My mother also has a specific set of towels for when I visit. Because I too cannot be trusted.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Her own podcast seems not to have been worth a second round, and that was on Avon's money (does it even cost that much to set up one's own podcast?)
I was wondering what happened to the podcast. I thought it was the number one trending beauty one - or something like that.
I listened to a couple but was massively put off by the infamous 'not there yet' menopause one. Literally no advice other than HRT. Even to the woman who specifically had said she couldn't have it due to breast cancer.
I wonder if it was Avon or Sali who pulled the plug?

Reactions: 9
So what does she do now, besides the Graun column and the shilling?

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Hahaha in the 80s I used something called Oxy10 I think it was. My dad went light one morning shouting “what’s happened to the good towels?” Worked out it was that stuff 😂 From then on I was only allowed to use those towels as they were already ruined. All the grief I got and it didn’t really help my spots much either 🙄

I think I’ve still got half a packet of those at the back of my cupboard. I quite enjoyed using them. I might dig them out for old times sake.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
So what does she do now, besides the Graun column and the shilling?
Mm I've been thinking solidly for 2 1/2 hours but still haven't come up with anything 🤷‍♀️
And even the Graun is very sporadic now.
And she has basically said the other two run Beauty Banks.

Reactions: 2
OT (seems like everything is OT these days, as SH is 💤💤💤💤) Anyhow, I recently treated myself to a bottle of Tom Ford Santal Blush EDP after being disappointed by various dupes. Well, I am disappointed by the real thing too. I cannot smell it on myself and my SO didn't comment when I wore it in the car immediately after spraying either, which is unusual. I don't recall my sample behaving so poorly 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 2
What I don’t understand is all the beauty people (not just Sali) talking about product shelf-lives and then having boxes upon boxes of product? Surely so much of it goes off/discoloured/smells after a while? Or are shelf-lives a myth?

Reactions: 12
What I don’t understand is all the beauty people (not just Sali) talking about product shelf-lives and then having boxes upon boxes of product? Surely so much of it goes off/discoloured/smells after a while? Or are shelf-lives a myth?
That’s a good point. What about Hirons and her appallingly huge stash of facial products. Especially the more ‘natural’ brands that don’t have the preservatives. They must give loads away or sell it before it has a chance to go off.

Reactions: 7
They're not a myth, but it depends on the preservatives included and packaging - an airless pump will keep better than, say, a jar you scoop into every day. I don't pay as much attention to them as I should (I keep powder products for a long, long time) and tend to use products up anyway, but it should definitely be a concern for SH and her ilk.

Maybe that's why she's always sniffing and gulping all the time? My mum's house get's little sun and poor ventilation so she's always fighting mold. Add in never ending pet fur/dander and you always end up with a sniffle when staying at her place. Sali would have to use products immediately or throw them away to avoid contamination. Beauty products especially get contaminated with our bacteria and can look fine but really not be safe to use.

• Sad
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.