Sali Hughes #26 Lipstick, lube and liberalism

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Or perhaps her published finally wants that unicorn of a book. You know, the one with the idea that no one else has ever had. That one
Can’t wait to find out the true nature of that 🦄. Surely it can’t turn out to be nothing but waffle and recipes? Not even Sali can be THAT self-important? 😳

• Haha
Reactions: 6
So it's not technically a cookbook but it has recipes and the idea is so good and unique she was told to keep it under wraps in case anyone stole it. What the hell could it be?

I bet you it's a Nora Ephron inspired book. I love Nora Ephron but am so sick of mediocre middle class women being called 'the new Nora Ephron.' No, they are not. Including some very simple recipes amongst some self obsessed ramblings does not mean you've written the new Heartburn.
Yeah she totally does fancy herself as the next Nora Ephron and has done for ages.

I'm doing a clear out. Should I keep Pretty Honest and Pretty Iconic? I did love them at the time..

Reactions: 7
I'm doing a clear out. Should I keep Pretty Honest and Pretty Iconic? I did love them at the time..
I have been trying to decide this myself ever since I found these threads! I had really enjoyed them but I can’t look at them the same way now... they’re just sitting there in limbo on my shelf

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I feel the same! They were a great moment in time but if I picked them up and read through them again what would I think? Would my piss be boiled?

• Haha
Reactions: 8
So it's not technically a cookbook but it has recipes and the idea is so good and unique she was told to keep it under wraps in case anyone stole it. What the hell could it be?

Yeah she totally does fancy herself as the next Nora Ephron and has done for ages.

I chucked mine into the charity bag last year.

she’s been working on this book with recipes in that’s not a recipe book since forever ... I remember her making a daal yonks ago (seriously- pre freaky Friday) and she made reference to it. Deep frickin research / good memory.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Can’t wait to find out the true nature of that 🦄. Surely it can’t turn out to be nothing but waffle and recipes? Not even Sali can be THAT self-important? 😳
Waffle with waffles? 🥞 #prettywaffly #veganwaffles

• Haha
I bet you it's a Nora Ephron inspired book. I love Nora Ephron but am so sick of mediocre middle class women being called 'the new Nora Ephron.' No, they are not. Including some very simple recipes amongst some self obsessed ramblings does not mean you've written the new Heartburn.
You are so right. Spot on.
A memoir through the seasons with a quirky rye look at life accompanied by heartwarming recipes.
Called something like 'Honestly, This Is Me'.
I have to say if so it sounds bleeping hilarious and I can't wait.
Come on Sali - keep writing!

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Give them a read and get back to us! 🤣
I had a quick look through Pretty Iconic a month or two ago to remind myself about bath pearls, then stuck it in the charity bag. Didn’t bother at all with the other one.

Sali has definitely been reading here :D. Again, I mean.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Re Sali's memoir: I think I'm most looking forward to reading the chapter in which Sali was a teenage runaway (with a much older boyfriend) who fed on scraps and lived off the kindness of strangers. Wonder what the accompanying recipe to that particular chapter will be? Gruel?

• Haha
Reactions: 15
The thing is, her food never looks either appetising or creative. I've never seen someone post such bland food pictures on the reg. I've got a lot of veggie/vegan friends and every single one one of them is better at cooking than Sali appears to be (I know you can't tell everything from photos, but I'm also judging from the times she's posted her own recipes). I'd love to know how she got it in her head that this is what she should be doing next.

Reactions: 11
Despite myself, I confess I am interested in what this book is about. A while ago she mentioned in an IG interview that she was 'repurposing' for the book an article she had written for the Pool (an article about the shops not stocking clothes she wanted to buy).

On the basis of that, I'd wondered whether the book had a 'that was then, this is now' theme - e.g. I used to wear heels, now I wear flats. Now I'm wondering whether it might be a Greatest Hits collection - best articles, best recipes, best beauty products.

• Sick
The thing is, her food never looks either appetising or creative. I've never seen someone post such bland food pictures on the reg.
I was just thinking that, is anyone else on the Jack Monroe threads? It reminded me of her food. I’ve never seen anything that isn’t a stew/daal/food for people with no teeth as it’s referred to on JM’s threads 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Plus there are so many cookery books. I have no idea why Sali's recipes would be any more interesting than any other random person's.
Yes she occasionally mentions food but it always seems extremely basic - jacket potato with marmite or macaroni cheese for eg. I'm sure it is lovely but millions of people make tasty adequate meals regularly.
I guess this explains the @ of Nigella these days.

Reactions: 9
Didn't she say recently that she's not just a beauty writer? So maybe this book is an attempt to show that. But the market is surely already saturated

She’s probably worried about companies cutting back on influencer marketing and therefore decreasing her possible earnings in the beauty arena. So now she’s trying to diversify. Same with that stupid budget products list selling coffins of all things 😬 I’m sure a lot of the smarter influencers see how badly the public are reacting to their luxury lifestyles and pivoting now to expand their markets later. Same principle as wearing the missoma tat long before posting the official #ad.

Side note went for an eye test today and the optometrist was wearing a gold glasses chain to match her gold wire rims. She looked amazing and now I want to get a chain when I go back to collect my prescription. I never thought I’d want one after Sali’s blatant shilling, but damn did my optometrist rock hers.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
This book has been in the making since about 2017 though

I saw a comment from someone asking if she would ever write fiction and she said no. What happened to Falling Down Laughing?

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.