Sali Hughes #24 She's gone totally QVC.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I too am being influenced! These packs say 20pcs - are the mitts used only once???
Not at all. You use them until they wear out or fall apart! I bung them in the hot wash after I’ve used them, together with knickers and socks, and find that they shrink. BUT all you need to do is stretch them out again and they’ll be good as new.

ETA: Welcome to the Mittens Club!

An alternative to the Korean mitts is the Turkish kese (pouch) which is used in hamams. I'm pretty sure it's made with the same type of cloth. The most well established brand is Kelebek (butterfly). My mother used to scrub me with it almost viciously when I was a kid (as all Turkish mothers did lol) so I used to hate it but can't live without it now. Nothing makes your skin softer and shinier. You have to use a classic bar soap and rinse yourself to get rid of your skin's natural oils before scrubbing, that's how it works best. Be careful with sensitive areas like the décolletage or damaged skin though.
A quick google turned up these: they sound exactly the same as the Korean ones (which are used in traditional Korean bath houses) but they’re bigger!

Thanks for the tip!

Amazon product

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Does anyone have any recommendations for luxurious (looking), naturally scented candles for a very reasonable price? They seem so expensive this year. My mum has requested one for Christmas, but Covid has done a number on my finances :-(. I'm finding that by the time I add postage I have spent more than I wanted for something that isn't ideal. I cannot get out to shops for obvious reasons....

Also fancy handcream recommendations if you have any ideas? Thank you chaps.

I probably just need to face that what I would like doesn't exist on my budget.

Reactions: 2
Does anyone have any recommendations for luxurious (looking), naturally scented candles for a very reasonable price? They seem so expensive this year. My mum has requested one for Christmas, but Covid has done a number on my finances :-(. I'm finding that by the time I add postage I have spent more than I wanted for something that isn't ideal. I cannot get out to shops for obvious reasons....

L’occitane hand creams are fancy, but not cheap.

I don’t know about candles. Have you had a look at TK Maxx, Home Bargains & B&M?

ETA: I don’t know what your budget is, but what about something like this? I’ve shopped with them before and their customer service is ace.

Some of those candles are under a fiver. Sign up to the mailing list and you’ll get an extra 10% off. They do gift wrap for £2.50 and shipping for about £4. You could get her a decent gift that way for just over a tenner.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I see Sali's latest story is a close-up of what I presume is her dinner, since she hasn't bothered to caption it. Fascinating stuff, thanks for sharing.
I've been thinking about her troll "documentary", and I will never understand people who go out of their way to find out what others think of their (public and specifically designed to get attention) content and/or behaviour, then claim they’re being trolled and harassed when they don’t like what they find. Sorry in advance for the long, clumsy sentence. I got bored even typing it
Yes it is a wierd one isn't it. Share intimate details of your mundane life and if someone comments in a fawning fashion anonymously that is fine - but anything even slightly less than complimentary is trolling. It is all commentary on the details you have chosen to share. I just always associate this IG behaviour with much younger influencers.
I see she has given up milking the Tattle cash cow for a bit. Maybe her hard hitting documentary didn't quite have the impact she thought it would. Or maybe she is busy writing another insightful think piece like the last invaluable 'buy cheap coffins' one.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Yes it is a wierd one isn't it. Share intimate details of your mundane life and if someone comments in a fawning fashion anonymously that is fine - but anything even slightly less than complimentary is trolling. It is all commentary on the details you have chosen to share. I just always associate this IG behaviour with much younger influencers.
I see she has given up milking the Tattle cash cow for a bit. Maybe her hard hitting documentary didn't quite have the impact she thought it would. Or maybe she is busy writing another insightful think piece like the last invaluable 'buy cheap coffins' one.
I can sort of understand now why it takes her so long to write so little. Firstly, she’s constantly doing a Joey and using a thesaurus to replace every third word. Secondly, she’s trying to get a column out of a brain that thinks money should be spent on a £45 tomato-scented candle emblazoned with the name of a paedophile, but not on wooden coffins or Earl Grey tea.

It must be like trying to milk a turnip.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32

Are you near a Homesense? They often have nice looking discounted candles x

@ThisIsMyDragName one year I made a mani in a jar as a Mother’s Day present. Got a cheap but pretty glass jar and lined the bottom with cotton balls. Sat some nail tools and polish on top of the cotton. Then stuck a big bow on the top of the jar. Cheap and cute. You could even slip in other cute little toiletries, or samples from bigger kits.

Has Sali featured anyone who is of Asian decent on her ITB videos? Or does it take some serious Instagram backlash calling her out for their exclusion before she’ll feature them. Because let’s be honest it took a lot of people calling out her lack of diversity to get any black women featured on her channel.

• Angry
Reactions: 7

I actually got some nice ones from IKEA of all places. Didn't think they would smell at all, but the scent and throw were excellent.

They're not very big but look nice.

Plenty of other size and secent options in IKEA as well.

Village Candles are also pretty good, not that sexy looking but quite large and good value for money. I got the Balsam Fir as my husband likes the house to smell Christmassy.

Amazon product

• Heart
Just spotted our Sal is on Sophie Ellis Bextor's podcast talking about trolling...

• Haha
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
@ThisIsMyDragName one year I made a mani in a jar as a Mother’s Day present. Got a cheap but pretty glass jar and lined the bottom with cotton balls. Sat some nail tools and polish on top of the cotton. Then stuck a big bow on the top of the jar. Cheap and cute. You could even slip in other cute little toiletries, or samples from bigger kits.

Has Sali featured anyone who is of Asian decent on her ITB videos? Or does it take some serious Instagram backlash calling her out for their exclusion before she’ll feature them. Because let’s be honest it took a lot of people calling out her lack of diversity to get any black women featured on her channel.
Anjali Mahto who is a dermatologist. But, for me, that was negated by calling Ateh’s skincare edit “bougie”. Has she ever bleeping said that about a white woman’s collection?! Nope.

What a racist Cee U Next Tuesday.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 9
Another one is scented drawer liners:

Buy bulk tissue paper from an independent seller on Etsy and then spritz with homemade essential oil spray or a perfume parlour perfume if you know the recipients favourite smell and happen to have some
This is such a good idea and I'm now wondering why I've never thought to re-use drawer liners when the smell fades by just spraying them with perfume. Duh!!
I second the TK Maxx recommendation too, some really great bargains on their website and normally less ‘beaten up’ than their in-store stock.
Good tip - they don't always have the outrageous bargains you can something get in store, but it's always worth a look. I've just been on and they've got more stock in of thisworks candles, £25 down to £12.99 for the full size in a few scents.

What's your budget for candles? Repeating my previous post but there's currently a load of full size thisworks ones on the TK Maxx website down from £25 to £12.99 each and they're all 'natural' scents. You can click and collect for £1.99 if you have a store nearby.

Not strictly 'natural' scents (or wax) but other bargains are the Zara x Jo Malone candles - they're £15.99, massive, chic, really strongly scented, and you can click and collect for free. Amalfi Sunray smells exactly like Tom Ford Neroli Portofino. Also I've not smelled them yet, but if you can get to an Ikea, they've just done a collab with Byredo on candles and they're in really cool reusable coloured ceramic vessels - they'd be a really lovely gift and they start at £5 (!) for the small ones.

If you can't get to shops at all, some good value, natural brands you can buy at home are PF Candle Co (I really rate their scents, they're £15 for the small size but they're not tiny and you can find discounts at various retailers including Osmology and Candles Direct) and Cedar Candles (£20 for the full size but they look so much more expensive, they're really chic). There's also Sunday of London (if you're after essential-oil-based scents, their mini size is £12 but it is *mini*).

I don't have a huge amount of fancy hand cream reccs as I'm pretty loyal to Aveeno and the Aldi hemp one myself, but I do think Nursem is brilliant. It's a lovely formula, really nice zingy scent (but not cheap-smelling; Sali wouldn't approve), really cool packaging that would make a lovely gift, and supporting a great cause. They also do an unscented version for anyone sensitive, and duo sets if you want to get one for yourself as well and save some money :) It's not super fancy but I still think it's a lovely treat - I'd never spend £10 on hand cream for myself.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I like muji candles in the tins, often on 3 for 2.

I was kinda disappointed that Sali couldn't find a bubble bath under 8 to recommend, I fancy upgrading from my 99p ones but wouldn't spend more than a fiver, even better if they aren't sickly sweet and bubble up in hard water areas. Wondered if the beef faces had some recs? :m

• Haha
There’s a muji candle that smells like a log fire. So lovely and festive without that cinnamony sweet ‘Christmas smell’ they’re under a tenner I’m sure!

Last edited:
Just spotted our Sal is on Sophie Ellis Bextor's podcast talking about trolling...
I listened to the first 15 minutes. Basicalls she says she was scared the trolls might stop her in the street and she's glad we have to wear face masks now because they give her more privacy.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 18
Lily Flame candles are pretty nice, and under £9. I used to buy the bluebell one a lot.

I listened to the first 15 minutes. Basicalls she says she was scared the trolls might stop her in the street and she's glad we have to wear face masks now because they give her more privacy.
Aye, she craves privacy, I can see that. With her daily multiple Instagram stories and photos of her ringlit visage.

Edit: Loving the DIY beauty present tips too. I'd be well chuffed if someone did something like this for me.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
What does she think’s going to happen, someone will stop her in the street and say ‘Oi, Sali, your writing style is condescending and overdone, and you should wear cooler tones’?

Bit rich coming from Little Miss Catflap.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.