Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

NotDumbNotBlonde

VIP Member
Could she not use ‘inexpensive’ rather than ‘cheap’? ‘Cheap’ could be considered as being somewhat derogatory .....
On QVC shopping channel apparently the word is banned and they must say Affordable instead.

I loathe the fake word Spendy which appears several times in that awful lazy piece of writing.

Reactions: 15

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Hilarious how she advises the high street as one of the places where people should buy leopard print coats. Where does she think most people shop? Even those on decent salaries aren't likely to be spending loads of money on designer clothes, much less designer leopard print coats. Has she not heard of the "stretched middle?"

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
Oh wow Burchill is back! Just had a look at that article, very interesting.
I don’t like everything she writes (who does?) but I kind of like having her around if you know what I mean?

Skiddidlydaddle

Chatty Member
thank you. What a nasty, trite and tiresome article.
And I can report from the frontline about pasta. Barilla and De Cecco are the go to Nonna brands and they cost around €2 a pack not 60p
Couldn't agree more, builders tea is such a nonsense term.

And I may be alone in this but I think the stuff about green tea was a bit xenophobic. Green tea is not necessarily expensive or "fancy", it comes in at all price points. You don't like it, fine, but don't be derogatory about it and write it off as tasting like "raw fish".

Yeah I thought this was pretty rude. Aldo, it doesn't taste like raw fish.
I love green tea, matcha, white tea, oolong any "wanker" tea from Asia and it should have a mild grassy flavour. God, knows what guff Sali is drinking if it smells or tastes like raw fish.

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
Sorry, I was on a bit of a rant and didn’t mean to offend anyone if they do say “builders tea” but it does annoy me. I feel we should stop tea classism. Quite right too about green tea. Bit racist.

I remember the first time I went to a very fancy tearoom with a full tea menu, and had to whisper to my friend “which one is just tea?” And she silently pointed at Assam.

• Haha
  • Heart

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
Although I think the facilities on Tattle are good, one thing that annoys me is the way it puts any consecutive posts by the same poster together (as with mine above). Sometimes I want to 'like' one post but not necessarily the other and I'm sure that's the same for others. (Apologies to the three people who 'liked' my first post above but may dislike or have no view on the second.)

ETA: The paragraph above - about the way Tattle puts posts together - is a separate point from point I was trying to make immediately above about how things could have been handled differently. That might have been clear?
Do people really put that much thought into likes? I don't have to agree with everything someone says to "like" a post. Hell, I've even liked posts I disagree with!

• Heart

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
I can see the marketing blurb for "Wanker tea" already, inspired by Sali:

"With elegant, grassy notes and more than a hint of raw fish, this fancy tea comforts the grieving, calms the anxious, cushions the blow, ameliorates the suffering and fuels our nation’s everyday discourse. Let's all reach en masse for bags of rich, fishy tea"

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Yep - they just loved it so much they're using it now.
How strange? Maybe even Sali realises how incredibly off the timing is so mentioned she wrote it a year ago?
I'm still trying to work out why the posh version of a bic biro is a fountain pen - it just...isn't? Any more than the posh version of a bicycle is a car.

• Haha

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
@Enid Swamp I think you are right, it’s all of the wankers popularizing “builders tea” which means we all end up calling it that.
I shall hire a car for us all; we will drive past hipster cafes with their tea menus written on blackboards, and where we find “builders” listed as a form of tea, we shall, in the style of the Inbetweeners, shout “tea wankers” then drive off

• Haha

Skiddidlydaddle

Chatty Member
Is anyone else annoyed that Jamie Genevieve is an upcoming ITB guest? Imagine going from the likes of Mary Greenwell and Sam McKnight to... an instagram influencer. Hope it's not a sign of what's to come.
Looking at the old Sali who criticised Kylie's fillers and denied knowing who the Kardashians were yes it is surprising. Looking at the new blinged up, eyebrow tattooed instagram shiller she has become it seems like a natural progression.

• Heart

AsterSalonen

I have just noticed that her article is getting a trouncing on F.B. Not that F.B is necessarily a good measure...but many people appear to be finding her piece as shite as we do. All the commenters must be beef faces.

• Haha
  • Heart

Mselvista

VIP Member
Given her area of "expertise" isn't it bizarre that there's no items* makeup or skincare included? Hairspray,dry shampoo and body lotion excepted and they have only ever had walk on parts in her columns (omg her stupid writing style is infectious).

Here's the cover.
Is that next door to Four Seasons Total Landscaping?

Last edited:
  • Haha

rosemarina

VIP Member
Also, as a result of us discussing “dragging sites” and wondering what the term meant, this site now comes up when you Google “dragging sites” 🎉.

• Haha

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
"When Twitter was new and I had very few followers" Guess what Sali, Twitter was new to all of us at one point and I'm pretty sure most of us didn't talk shit about a peer/ colleague on it.

Corbyn'sCat

Chatty Member
I've just looked at the price list for Hershesons and it's £360 for a cut! What the frig? I pay £90 for a cut and dry. For this I get a head massage, a treatment of my choice and a really decent cut in a decent salon. What on earth can justify charging that much for a cut? Do they wash your hair in angel jizz?

If that freebie cut for SH was a way of drumming up business, I'm afraid that I certainly can't see what about it is worth 360 notes. And I'm the type of person that sees a result and often can see why a price tag is so high. Not this time.

• Wow
  • Haha

NotDumbNotBlonde

VIP Member
I came here specifically to write "Brown eyeshadows for autumn. Groundbreaking."

Yes I know that's overused now, but it applies to her lazy, phoned-in column so often.

I have neutral-coolish muted pale skin and amything brown makes me look like I've just been dug up.

• Haha