Sali Hughes #18 No valid criticism, just endless speculation about her height and glasses.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I had a look at my trusty copy of Pretty Honest 😂 and all the glowing gushing soundbites on the cover were by Caitlin Moran, Lauren Laverne, India Knight and Marian Keyes. So wonderfully impartial and diverse then.
Now that is just plain ridiculous. She just got her mates to say nice things

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I feel its extra warped because its on the bbc? Its supposed to be neutral balanced and completely free of nepotism because we all pay for it to be a higher moral standard.
(And y'know because its diversity issues are a political issue in itself)

Reactions: 4
Now that is just plain ridiculous. She just got her mates to say nice things
I know! It gets more bizarre the more you think about it. I'm afraid their testimonies are worthless as they are her chums. It's like giving a family member as a reference when you are applying for a job. No doubt Sali would dismiss this as a 'mental conspiracy theory' and that we should be embarrassed.

*Spoiler* Not embarrassed as none of my friends are convicted p@edophiles. Admittedly a low bar.
I do await with interest the next manufactured twitter conversation about how we are the 'broken' ones.

Reactions: 9
There is a contact form link on his twitter bio.
True! I was being a bit facetious 😁

Although where's the bit to upload my demo I recorded with the top of the range audio equipment my dad left lying around? Waaaahhhh. No one will hear my magnum opus - Check Your Catflap by Beef Face and the Female Incels

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 24
A contact form link is not the same as emailing him. Let's not kid ourselves that she emailed him anonymously and got a reply the same day.

Reactions: 7
Sooo helpful! I tend to get this really badly in Autumn/Winter when the heating gets switched on. Going to try this next time!
I hope it helps! I couldn’t believe the improvement. Eczema is so stubborn. I suffered as a child on the inside of my elbows. Treated with strong steroids for a long time. The skin there is now so thin and crepey I look like a right old nana 😐

Reactions: 1
@Mselvista I couldn’t agree with you more. I would really like to know what LL, CM, SH et al are doing with their connections to help black creatives get a leg up in their chosen spheres ... are they actively championing and mentoring black writers, artists, brands etc? They are most certainly in a position to.

I’m not saying that Eaves Wilder hasn’t got talent and hasn’t worked hard, however the point is that in a significant proportion of industries there are many people in roles and positions that they’ve had help getting into due to their network and connections.

So in order to turn around the imbalance and lack of opportunity we all have to actively promote, support and not play by the old rules and systems that our society is built upon.
Yes indeed - very disappointing. I hope next time they quack on about diversity, how hard it is for young people without connections to get exposure that they all get reminded of this. Especially LL. Sneaky and shady and massively hypocritical

Reactions: 8
This is so depressing, I feel sick to the stomach every time these children of the wealthy/famous pop up at the top of the heap in areas that regular working-class kids could only dream of. That Caitlin "I'm mad me" Moran continues to milk her working-class roots and pretend to speak on behalf of the working class makes it even more sickening. Could the kid be a prodigy? Sure. Is it likely? No

An A&R person could walk into any high school and grab 10 random kids who could then be made into a pop star (that autotune eh). But they're not gonna
Really annoys me when she defines herself now as working class. She may have been once but she’s not now. Think it’s called social mobility.

Reactions: 6
Bit of a boring story really but here goes - I suffered with eczema on my eyelids for about 8 months a few years ago. They were very sore and skin was pink (people thought I was wearing pink eye shadow). Nothing I put on helped. In February I went to stay on a narrow boat in Belgium. Got there at midnight, super bloody freezing cold, boat hadn’t been heated in 4 mths. Damp bed clothes, took ages to warm up and sleep (if you haven’t nodded off, remember this was a holiday 😂). Woke up the next day and it had gone. I was amazed. The dampness really helped. I never had it so bad but did have some flare ups after and I put soaking wet cotton pads on my eyes to go to sleep. Haven’t had it back for quite a while now. I do believe it’s the level of moisture in the air and that’s something that we can’t control really. So, for all of that zzzz post I don’t know if it’s helpful.
Sooo helpful! I tend to get this really badly in Autumn/Winter when the heating gets switched on. Going to try this next time!
Thank you @Simplemind, not a boring story! It's strange because until this year, I only ever got it on my eyelids/face during the autumn and winter, like @Rosie878, and it disappears without fail when I go on holiday, no matter what climate. But this year it's persisted into the summer so I don't know what's going on. I'll try the wet cotton pads though, thank you!
Re: taking off makeup, ever since I saw Christy Turlington’s cleansing routine in this documentary, I have copied it and my skin is fantastic. Cream cleanser, wipe off with tissue, but extra on your lashes to make sure all the mascara is gone, tone with water, pat dry. Boom.

The whole documentary is worth a watch if you’re into your 90s supermodels (which I very much am). But skip to about 44mins 20secs to see what I’m on about.

God, imagine being that beautiful (and without makeup). I miss properly stunning supermodels, before everyone hired by designers started to look like identical instagram models with fillers and famous parents (on the subject of nepotism...)
Her scrubbing her face with all those tissues is alarming though, even though it's clearly working for her!

Thank you @Simplemind, not a boring story! It's strange because until this year, I only ever got it on my eyelids/face during the autumn and winter, like @Rosie878, and it disappears without fail when I go on holiday, no matter what climate. But this year it's persisted into the summer so I don't know what's going on. I'll try the wet cotton pads though, thank you!

God, imagine being that beautiful (and without makeup). I miss properly stunning supermodels, before everyone hired by designers started to look like identical instagram models with fillers and famous parents (on the subject of nepotism...)
Her scrubbing her face with all those tissues is alarming though, even though it's clearly working for her!
I watched a Lisa Eldridge tutorial from a couple of years ago with Yasmin le Bon. She is early 50s now but her skin is crazily good - I'd say she looks mid 30s. I'm naive in this but I don't think she's had Botox - or she hadn't then. My favourite was always Helena Christensen. I wonder if they all still look so good because (apart from being naturally beautiful) the body image was healthier even a couple of decades ago. I'm sure they were on diets but the really skinny look wasn't that desirable - I think Cindy Crawford was a healthy size 12 and womanly rather than looking like a child.
Probably rose tinted spectacles on my part and they were starving themselves.

I hate the way that literally every young up-and-coming person in the public eye (be it TV/radio presenter, actor, model) is the child of a celeb. Nepotism has always existed but it just seems so endemic now. There used to be opportunities for working class people to be discovered and make it big if they were talented enough. I’m not sure that’s true anymore.
Yes, it's so much worse now and has been going that way since 2010, thanks to arts funding cuts etc. There are so few recent success stories from working class backgrounds compared to privileged backgrounds (in the UK at least). The culture of an entire generation is being created by children of celebs/people who know people/can afford to take unpaid internships in London/have parents who can financially support them through an arts career when others would have to give up. It seems like the only way to be successful in certain careers it to have rich or famous parents, to either give you a financial leg-up or an automatic IG following, then a career can be built from that.
Really annoys me when she defines herself now as working class. She may have been once but she’s not now. Think it’s called social mobility.
I don't even think she ever was working class - apparently her parents met at university.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

I know! She’s ludicrously beautiful. And all the supermodels seem like proper grown up women, even though they were all only in their 20s. They had a grace and poise and maturity that you don’t see now.
I confess I don’t scrub my face with man sized Kleenex like La Turlington. I use washable breast pads for putting in your bra when you’re breastfeeding! They’re very soft.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.