Sali Hughes #18 No valid criticism, just endless speculation about her height and glasses.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just did the makeup clear out I mentioned in the last thread. Kept some limited edition Nars lips sets and was ruthless with culling everything else. From now on, I will just replace things as I'm finished them. Feel liberated but also a tiny bit sick that excessive spending was so normalised. I also have enough back2mac for two lipsticks

Edit to add: any nude/ pinky beige went straight in the bin. Those colours always looked awful on me

Last edited:
Reactions: 15
Well, that's all of SH's looks out for you then!
Check out her lipstick highlights on Instagram. Multiple pinky beige lipsticks all blurring into one but yet all called "lipstick of the day". The odd token red here and there

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Check out her lipstick highlights on Instagram. Multiple pinky beige lipsticks all blurring into one but yet all called "lipstick of the day". The odd token red here and there
So wierd isn't it? Who needs that many? Yet I suppose it all feeds into this 'beauty nerd' myth, all identical to us plebs, but to a beauty expert very very different. That is why you need hundreds.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
So wierd isn't it? Who needs that many? Yet I suppose it all feeds into this 'beauty nerd' myth, all identical to us plebs, but to a beauty expert very very different. That is why you need hundreds.
See also the recent insistence that a "signature scent" is old hat and you must have a perfume *wardrobe*. More consumerism SH has been pushing over the years. I do love perfume and know a bit about it, and like to pick up samples when I can. But it's expensive so full bottles are a rare treat and I make them last ages.

I don’t know if I’m allowed to quote from other sites, admins, please delete this if not, but I recently discovered I’m still a member of the GTL Facebook page from back in the day that got resurrected last year. I thought I had deleted it ages ago so it had passed me by up to now.

Anyway, I was looking yesterday and saw that someone had posted a photo of a Diptyque delivery with the caption “I blame Sali lol. Why is it every word she mentions I go buy it lol xxx” and then after someone else’s comment the same woman has written that she’s getting into debt. And I want to just reply “Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr!”

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
I don’t know if I’m allowed to quote from other sites, admins, please delete this if not, but I recently discovered I’m still a member of the GTL Facebook page from back in the day that got resurrected last year. I thought I had deleted it ages ago so it had passed me by up to now.

Anyway, I was looking yesterday and saw that someone had posted a photo of a Diptyque delivery with the caption “I blame Sali lol. Why is it every word she mentions I go buy it lol xxx” and then after someone else’s comment the same woman has written that she’s getting into debt. And I want to just reply “Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr!”
I know the exact comment you mean! I saw it too and thought "Oh ffs :rolleyes:"

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
I know, it's a hideous monument to consumerism and wastefulness.

Reactions: 7
I was a member of the Mrs Gloss & the Goss FB group for a while & couldn’t believe how much stuff other members had. It’s easy to forget that journalists, influencers etc are all sent stuff to advertise it & comment on it free so of course they are constantly trying new products. The typical consumer needs one foundation/tinted moisturiser in the winter & one in the summer, not multiple products for different moods.

Reactions: 7
It's really liberating to pare it all down, isn't it? Lockdown has made me use up all my odds and ends in bottles and it's "cheering" to look at what I actually need. I only have two lipsticks! (well you need two so you can rock a red lip and a pink lip at the same time obvs)

I remember "Show us your blusher/lipstick" threads on the SHB forum.... obviously people can buy as much as they want, but 30 or more blushers....you only have one face?!

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I'm going to write down a list of the skincare essentials I need (tried and tested stuff/ repeat purchases) and am not going to deviate from that. Obviously if my skincare needs change I'll review it again then.

Makeup will purely be on a need to replace basis. I run out of concealer, I replace it. And so on. No more buying multiple lipsticks for the hell of it.

I kept my Hourglass Diffused and Dim light powders so will use those up. Couldn't bear to throw them away as they were so expensive!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I remember "Show us your blusher/lipstick" threads on the SHB forum.... obviously people can buy as much as they want, but 30 or more blushers....you only have one face?!
I was also silently gobsmacked. At least I didn’t totally buy into the cult.

Reactions: 5
I would’ve if I’d had the money at the time I think. Yeah.... I had Philosykos, but it didn’t last very long on me and there are some better similar ones out there.

There was somebody on either the forum or old fb group that I remember moved house and had a dedicated beauty room. I was genuinely horrified at that. Just for make-up! Even at the height of my devotion I would use the bathroom mirror!

Last edited:
  • Wow
I’ve saved all the bottles/containers I’ve finished during lockdown. My goal at the start was not to buy anything this year until I’d used everything up. Sorry, going off topic.

I’ve saved all the bottles/containers I’ve finished during lockdown. My goal at the start was not to buy anything this year until I’d used everything up. Sorry, going off topic.
Not going off topic. I think it's very relevant that the scales have dropped from our eyes and we're no longer buying into the encouragement of influencers to spend, spend, spend

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Not going off topic. I think it's very relevant that the scales have dropped from our eyes and we're no longer buying into the encouragement of influencers to spend, spend, spend
Yes definitely - I have personally found it much more “cheering” to watch my stash goods reduce - and knowing I only have seconds of the things I really love.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
If you are caucasian, you need a pinky blusher and a peachy blusher (and maybe a bronzer) and that's it. And a highlighter if you are into that sort of thing. So, four products.

Reactions: 1
I hope nobody wrote to Sali's choice of Agony Aunt on SHB for advice on debt (or anything serious, actually).

Screenshot_20200715-102004_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20200715-102023_Twitter.jpg

• Wow
  • Sick
  • Angry
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.