Sali Hughes #18 No valid criticism, just endless speculation about her height and glasses.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I hope nobody wrote to Sali's choice of Agony Aunt on SHB for advice on debt (or anything serious, actually).
What a ridiculous exchange!

So if influencing doesn't work to get people to buy more stuff they don't need why do brands pay influencers so much?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I hope nobody wrote to Sali's choice of Agony Aunt on SHB for advice on debt (or anything serious, actually).

View attachment 182239View attachment 182240
There was someone on the forum with an actual shopping addiction. I can't remember the exact detail or rule but in the marketplace only a certain amount of things were allowed to be sold. The mods turned a blind eye to this person and she was allowed to put up masses of items for sale after one of her sprees. The mods were actually enabling this kind of behaviour

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
I was a member of the Mrs Gloss & the Goss FB group for a while & couldn’t believe how much stuff other members had.
I had to leave that group (quite a few years ago now) as all the young women getting lip filler were making me depressed. Now it’s even more common.

More recently I joined the Nadine Baggott group but that’s full of older women talking filler and Botox and microneedling and plasma pens and... and... 😳

One woman in particular keeps popping up to ask about other people’s experiences of certain treatments because she’s considering them. She obviously has major, major issues with ageing and her appearance because her life’s mission seems to be non-surgical anti-ageing procedures. Then in the same breath talks about how her top lip has been ruined by bad filler and she’s going to get it dissolved... then onto the next new thing.

• Sad
There was someone on the forum with an actual shopping addiction. I can't remember the exact detail or rule but in the marketplace only a certain amount of things were allowed to be sold. The mods turned a blind eye to this person and she was allowed to put up masses of items for sale after one of her sprees. The mods were actually enabling this kind of behaviour
I remember that; Boxes and boxes and BOXES of unopened product.

• Sad
  • Wow

So if influencing doesn't work to get people to buy more stuff they don't need why do brands pay influencers so much?
Exactly! Wish I could find a source for this but I read somewhere that L'Oreal spend 70-75% of their marketing budget on influencers now. I can't imagine how much $ that would be.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
Advertising feels more honest as you know exactly what it's for. It's influencers who are often dishonest and disingenuous, using vague language, acting like they're your mates, etc

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I had to leave that group (quite a few years ago now) as all the young women getting lip filler were making me depressed. Now it’s even more common.

More recently I joined the Nadine Baggott group but that’s full of older women talking filler and Botox and microneedling and plasma pens and... and... 😳

One woman in particular keeps popping up to ask about other people’s experiences of certain treatments because she’s considering them. She obviously has major, major issues with ageing and her appearance because her life’s mission seems to be non-surgical anti-ageing procedures. Then in the same breath talks about how her top lip has been ruined by bad filler and she’s going to get it dissolved... then onto the next new thing.
I left Mrs Gloss when GTL reopened because I did not need that much makeup on my timeline! I also felt there was a big focus on getting that “instagram” type look which, at my age, just doesn’t interest me. Made me feel ancient!

Reactions: 7
Advertising feels more honest as you know exactly what it's for. It's influencers who are often dishonest and disingenuous, using vague language, acting like they're your mates, etc
Yes! And that's why companies love them. Most people aren't immune to influencers in the way they can be to traditional advertising. They've obviously done their homework on the ROI to spend that much.

Reactions: 9
Yes! And that's why companies love them. Most people aren't immune to influencers in the way they can be to traditional advertising. They've obviously done their homework on the ROI to spend that much.
And though the scales have fallen from our eyes here, it's very clear that influencers still have sway and many women will rush out to buy something because Sali/ insert influencer/ talks about it

Reactions: 5
One of my friends is becoming an influencer, I don’t want to unfollow her but it’s hard to like her - everyday she posts photos of herself in items she’s been gifted. She’s very honest & puts gifted clearly but it’s off putting as I know she’s only recommending freebies now.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8

This drives me mad. She always drove me mad to be fair.

Completely bleeping disingenuous to compare buying a car to throwing money at an industry that preys on insecurities and constantly reinforces the idea you’re not good enough. Women and girls have had this tit forever - the beauty industry (and diet industry tbf) is fuelled by our self-loathing. Yes, advertising in general is about aspirations but all these insecure women who see Sali in her nice house with all her nice stuff and her lovely skin and hair and find themselves lacking WILL listen to her if she says this £28 Charlotte Tilbury lipstick is a ‘game-changer’ and some unflattering on most people cheaply made but very expensive Whistles dress makes her feel amazing they will buy it because that’s what they want. They just will. She’s an influencer, not a serious journalist.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
The more I think about influencer culture, the more absurd it is- with their Facebook pages and groups and people hanging on their every word "our queen Caroline" or "Queen Sali" or whatever. Is it not a bit embarrassing for adults to behave like this? This person is not your friend.

This drives me mad. She always drove me mad to be fair.

Completely bleeping disingenuous to compare buying a car to throwing money at an industry that preys on insecurities and constantly reinforces the idea you’re not good enough. Women and girls have had this tit forever - the beauty industry (and diet industry tbf) is fuelled by our self-loathing. Yes, advertising in general is about aspirations but all these insecure women who see Sali in her nice house with all her nice stuff and her lovely skin and hair and find themselves lacking WILL listen to her if she says this £28 Charlotte Tilbury lipstick is a ‘game-changer’ and some unflattering on most people cheaply made but very expensive Whistles dress makes her feel amazing they will buy it because that’s what they want. They just will. She’s an influencer, not a serious journalist.
Exactly, the hyaluronic acid article that was posted here, now that's serious journalism. Researching an ingredient and finding it to be not the amazing wonder stuff it's claimed to be. Serious journalism is not "buy xyz". Drives me mad that SH constantly compares herself to a film critic

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Screenshot_20200715-123235_Twitter.jpg
Screenshot_20200715-123246_Twitter.jpg

Wonder what Sali's recommending at the moment that she'll disavow in 8 years' time. I do hope it's not something thst costs over a hundred quid this time.

I'll include the screenshots for completeness. There was aldo a competition on SHB to win one.
If the Clarisonic had an adverse effect on your skin it was probably your fault for not using it properly. At the time that is, it seems like nowadays it may have been the product after all.

Screenshot_20200715-123451_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200715-123847_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200715-123800_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
Slightly OT but yes to the horror at ever-younger women getting fillers and botox. Looking at Amber Heard heading into court this week, she's got that very strange puffy "done" look already and she's only 34! She's reached that stage where it's hard to tell if someone is 30 or 40 or 50 because they all look the same:cry:

Reactions: 7
View attachment 182334View attachment 182336

Wonder what Sali's recommending at the moment that she'll disavow in 8 years' time. I do hope it's not something thst costs over a hundred quid this time.

I'll include the screenshots for completeness. There was aldo a competition on SHB to win one.
If the Clarisonic had an adverse effect on your skin it was probably your fault for not using it properly. At the time that is, it seems like nowadays it may have been the product after all.

View attachment 182345View attachment 182346View attachment 182349
Ah of course it's the beefy faced customers fault. Classic Sali

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.