Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Annasho

For the past two weeks - if it’s been a good day - I’ve washed my skin once, put a serum on and done nothing else at all. No makeup applied, zero effort made, no shits given. It’s mostly been down to depression and not having to go out, but flipping Christ, my skin looks so much better than it has in years. Fine lines are softer, tone is better, fewer spots. It’s a noticeable improvement.

What a fucking racket the skincare industry is. So desperate to flog you products that you don’t need and wouldn’t want without being told that somehow your life will be better if you just add this step into your routine.
I’ve never been more aware of what a massive waste of time, energy, money and plastic it all is.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Raker

VIP Member
This was on an Insta story of alifetostyle this morning (Belfast based blogger, has written some really interesting stuff about blogging with children & work lost because she won’t feature them, the all pervasive influencer marketing model, refusing to a link during the current crisis but featuring lots of local businesses trying to sell online etc.
Altogether “good people”, etc )

Tempted to message her and say “don’t bother” and send her here...

Attachments

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
I thought the language was interesting - about how SH helps 'her community navigate all of the industry noise...'. Her community. Is this the new, public-spirited, we're-all-in-this-together, way of referring to followers?
By 'industry noise' does she mean all the other yapping influencers, or just any beauty publicity?

SH (and she must be grinding her teeth at it) never quite hits the beat. Hirons presents a positive 'these are the products I love' (I mean, we know it's all horseshit and is just who will pay her for the privilege but whevs). SH goes for a negative 'you will not be able to cope without my help'. Hirons goes in up to her neck superschilling and gets in quick before her moment might pass, so is already onto her second box. SH tries to hang on to 'integrity' (whatever that means as an influencer) and with spectacular timing, her box launches just as thousands are losing their jobs. CH sticks to skincare and lip balms and her only objective is to pack as many expensive products on your skin as possible. SH casts her negative net wide and curates a judgemental aesthetic (spendy treats, red lips = good. Lipgloss, facial wash etc = bad) thereby limiting herself to only those followers who are 'mean girl cool enough'. The rest of us are mental, beef faced trolls.

I note it's only a waitlist at the moment...wondering if they'll see what the take up is. And no idea what rubbish will be in it yet...

• Heart

lipsticktaser

VIP Member
I do the monogramming one my kids trainers. Stops them getting mixed up at school. That’s the only reason I can see the point.
She’s trying to make her life seem effortless. Oh I’m naturally thin, my glow natural. She’s the Brighton equivalent of Gwyneth Paltrow except she’s flogging foundation, not fanny eggs.

• Haha
  • Heart

lipsticktaser

VIP Member
It’s not even the effort to look young. It’s money. Have you ever been in the stratosphere of someone and thought are they famous. Noooo they’re just very rich. £150 a pop for a hydro facial when your food budget is £90. Jog the fuck on.
Beauty is becoming more and more elitist. And you know what? Sali loves it. It’s gives her status. She’s no longer the working class girl from the valleys, She’s the beauty superstar of the south! Babes, check your privilege. Sliding doors and all that, you could of been washing your face with dove and using Rimmel.

• Heart

Spanner

Chatty Member
Morning everyone , thanks for the support last night.

Today’s a new day and all that😊, I wonder how bad Sali’s hangover will be and if she can shoehorn Hershesons or Estée Lauder into the recovery.
She’ll perk herself up with a red lip (“cheering”, “pleasing”) and sending her husband (“mensch”) to pick up a curry from The Chilli Pickle (“good people”)

• Haha
  • Heart

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
So sorry to hear that @AmberSpyglass, colon cancer websites may have support advice as its a common symptom with from that. Wishing for free Moet for you <3
Thanks, I’ll look into that , today has been a better day for my Dad , he’s brighter eyed and no soiled accidents , he reached the toilet 🥰😍🥰😍 so I take all the positives 😁😁😁.

Moet , you say🍾 . I might open my bottle from Christmas .

I need to have a serious word with myself when we get back to ‘normality’, the detox is beckoning because I’m tanking it atm.

Thanks againTattle friends, you’ve given me an online virtual boost that is priceless .

• Heart

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
That column 😕
I would genuinely love to know the last time Sali stuck her hand in her pocket and paid for a hair treatment of any sort. Always seems to be #presstreatment.
And the constant mention of Hersheson's - isn't that three times recently? Getting ridiculous. I'm sure other struggling hairdressers would be grateful for even one mention - let alone one that offers free treatments to certain people like confetti.

Handmaid

Celebs/influencers need to recognise their own superfluousness within this crisis. Just pipe down for a while. Nothing you say or are selling is anything anyone will need right now.

But alas. Their hungry, needy egos get the better of them and they start to jitter and panic when they haven’t posted any bolloxy content in the last five minutes.

• Heart
  • Haha

sineadf

I think it's spin. In her latest video she talks about skincare so we don't come out of this looking grey and indoorsy. I mean, that probably is everyone's greatest fear right now....

I'm still doing skincare and don't care if others do or don't. But it is in her professional interests to suggest beauty sales are high. It suggests everyone else is buying stuff and no-one wants to be the only one coming out of this looking grey and beefy.
This 100%. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm worried about future income and the absolute last thing I'm thinking of is "spendy treats" of any kind. It's kind of sad and paradoxical because her earlier, more honest incarnation would have pointed out that you can get perfectly decent skincare from high street pharmacies and don't have to spend a fortune. Her current influencer self is totally caught in a bind though, flailing around trying to think of ways to make people part with their money. Not this beef-face though ***reaches for Superdrug cleanser***

• Haha

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
I am loving Caitlin Moran being hauled over the coals for breaking lockdown rules😁😁😁 , I’m surprised Know It All Sali hasn’t intervened on her mate’s behalf.

• Haha

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
That kind of sh*te is her trying to imply that women are cack handed idiots who can't apply makeup and it's a skill available to only a select few. Sali and other influencers have got to stop acting like makeup is some kind of black art. We're not all going to be Lisa Eldridge but pretty much all women will be able to apply makeup decently
This. It's when she (or anyone) goes into 'MY years of experience with make up and skincare make me an expert, but YOURS...well...let's just say, you go out without a bag over your head? Bless your heart...good for you'.

It's bullshit, it's just make-up. It's designed to be foolproof. You can't fuck it up. Same with skincare. My favourite In the bathrooms were the ones with Claudia and Caitlin Moran, not because I particularly like either woman, but because their 'look'/application techniques made SH visibly squirm. You could see her hands twitching to get them to blend/use a neutral brown yada yada, to effectively trap them in the bland, boringly dictatorial grip of 'acceptable' make up.

jeaner

Agree that her weight shouldn’t even be mentioned, it’s completely irrelevant and only gives her an excuse to say we are now attacking her about being ‘fat’ which of course we aren’t.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
The whole thing reeks of privilege.

“Every household has a copy of The Mirror And The Light.”

Is she aware we don’t all get free books sent to us?

(And then there’s Sali Hughes who will have two copies because she orders an additional copy of the books she is gifted.)

• Haha
  • Wow

Raindropsonkittens

Chatty Member
I know at one point nurses & midwives were short of hand cream from all the hand washing & disinfectant hand gel, but precisely why this has morphed into sending loads of beauty & skin care products is a mystery to me. I means obviously it’s good to show appreciation for the NHS’s massive contribution to our nation, but on balance, if the motivation is to give something back to key workers wouldn’t it be better to give something lovely to a low waged Tesco shelf stacker than a well paid brain surgeon? It seems all about the PR than the legitimate pursuit of stated charitable objectives.

• Heart

Disillusioned

VIP Member
Re SH’s recent tweets: I would actually prefer some of this discussion to be in a private group. I’ve got no desire to bitch publicly about, for example, anyone’s appearance.

But the discussion of her (lack of) professional ethics is different and should be discussed publicly. That includes her lack of disclosure of Botox and other procedures while promoting topical products and make up, her failure to follow ASA rules re product/service promotions, her refusal to engage with genuine and polite queries about any of this on her SM, her ‘stalking’ of critics, her history of bullying via twitter, and now some concerns about the apparent refocusing of Beauty Banks.

She could have addressed these issues genuinely and publicly herself at any time. Instead she dismisses *any* criticism as trolling, mental illness and jealous vitriol.

• Heart

Originalnuttah

I think it's spin. In her latest video she talks about skincare so we don't come out of this looking grey and indoorsy. I mean, that probably is everyone's greatest fear right now....

I'm still doing skincare and don't care if others do or don't. But it is in her professional interests to suggest beauty sales are high. It suggests everyone else is buying stuff and no-one wants to be the only one coming out of this looking grey and beefy.
This 100%. Creating a hype and a fear of missing out are classic marketing tricks to generate interest and new sales. I work from the point that everything influencers post on social media is somehow calculated towards more sales- they are not our friends or informed ‘experts’ providing kindly advice for charitable reasons. Also, such a simple trick, but mention Ugg slippers 2-3 times in close succession and lots of people are prob thinking, well yes, I want some for myself now, they seem like a sensible treat in lockdown! Advertising at its best, people!

• Heart

melfish

VIP Member
Beauty Banks have jumped on this NHS crisis , there’s no other way to see it.
Yes, and they are relatively shielded from criticism too. As an aside, I can't stand the way the language of war has been co-opted to refer to essential workers. It's a propaganda technique - along with the clapping - to prepare the public for deaths directly due to shortages of PPE and adequate preparedness for a pandemic. It's cynical af

If Sali were to pause when she feels the swell of rage about things said here and reflect on why it's causing that reaction - rather than just lashing out with mental health slurs etc - she might discover things about herself. I suspect there's a lot of cognitive dissonance going on and that is why she has so much anger and bitterness. Same goes for when she's being snappy with non bluetickers

Last edited:
  • Heart