Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
She's urging people to go to restaurants? Only right-wing wingnuts are doing that here
This post made me laugh - Sali going to the restaurant on Tuesday when we were all told on Monday not to is exactly what 'right-wing wingnuts' Stanley Johnson and Tim Wetherspoon were urging people to do. I'm sure they are not the people she would usually like to be bracketed with.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17

Disillusioned

VIP Member
If that was a true depiction of the SH threads on this site, I wouldn’t be participating. She says there are “literally hundreds of lies still up”. Where?

SH: ‘If someone says “this is awful, false, humiliating, deeply painful. People are suffering, their mental health is affected”, and your reaction is to think “I don’t care. I am in the right because I don’t like her”’

It might be very uncomfortable to have your honesty and professionalism dissected, but it is not the same as trolling or bullying, by a long way.

Either she genuinely doesn’t read here and someone is feeding her lies and exaggerations, or she’s projecting and dissembling.

ETA: Hang on, she’s “got everything on screengrab” but she would never read here?

Last edited:
  • Heart

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
Plus cynically I think they know a lot of women like to be told they are less broad round the back than they thought but bigger in the cup size.
Yep! The old fashioned way of fitting bras was a really tight fit round the ribcage, but more most of us are chubbier, it's not flattering. Better to have it slightly looser.

What to look out for:
1.Fit the band first. Take a mirror so you can see your back view. The band should be snug (but to personal preference - some prefer it tighter than others), and should go straight across your back. We were taught that new bras should do up via the furthest hooks, with the intention that after you've washed them in the bath and your pee has worn the elastic away a bit, you can then tighten them, but nowadays we often don't keep bras that long. Aim to use the middle hooks when purchasing - if you're always using the furthest hooks, try the next band size up and see if it's more comfortable.
2. If the band is riding up at the back - could be too big, but also could mean cups/straps not supportive enough, partic for bigger boobs or those which sit lower. The straps might also need adjustment if your boobs start lower down your chest than the factory standard.
3. Once you're happy with the band and the straps, lean forwards and jiggle everything into the cup as someone else said, that gives a truer indication of what is going on.
4. Baggy around the nipple - cup is too small.
5. Cup baggy along top edge - cup is too big.
6. Cup cutting in along top of breast - could be too small, but also could just be the style of bra - try a balconette style (this will often be the case of you are young with super perky boobs or implants).
6. Look at the sides standing straight on - have you got boob tissue being squashed under a wire or side seam? Try the next cup up to see if it might fit better.
7. If it's wired, the wire should sit flat against the space between your boobs - if it doesnt, the cup is too small.

A lot can be solved by trying different styles of cup, as not all suit all boobs. Saggier (or as we were taught to say, softer!) boobs can sometimes be 'moulded' in a full cup style bra that is a cup size smaller (as the excess boob fills out the top of the cup) - in a balconette or a push up, such boobs can look like jelly as they will wobble a lot. But really it's personal preference as to how you like your boobs to look, but a bra should always be comfortable.

Hope that is useful!

• Heart

Carefree

VIP Member
Plus, and I can only speak for myself, staying at home means I've been able to look at the sheer amount of beauty products and realising how much money has been wasted. Very few products are worth the labels or cost and paying to subside influencers doesn't appeal.

Aude

VIP Member
This is an interesting read, about why people participate in gossip sites. A lot is well observed, but it’s v one-dimensional - shame it doesn’t go into what I have found here, the feeling of finally not feeling like you’re going mad because you’ve found other people who can smell the same bullshit from woefully under-regulated influencers. Also a shame comments were turned off, I think it would have been insightful.

Feels like it should have been paired with a counter piece from someone such as one of us, it just comes off sanctimonious on its own.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...e-gossip-drama-women-influencer-addiction-why
First, a warning. The article contains a description of an extremely cruel 18th century practice involving animals of which I was previously happy to be unaware.

Second, the article doesn't reflect my feelings about here at all. I don't wish SH ill in any way, I wouldn't revel in her misfortune (if she had any) and I certainly don't post here with the aim of doing her harm. I do though believe that we have the right to comment on the content anyone puts in the public domain and the broader issues it raises - and we do so here because it seems that elsewhere anything questioning or critical about a beauty influencer gets taken down or responded to aggressively by the influencer and/or their followers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
Like the majority of influencers, she types before she thinks, contradicts herself and sounds like an arsehole in the process. I'm not in the UK, but in the EU, so my take on this is different (mouth agape from the mere thought that someone would tweet about going out to dinner), but we won't elaborate more, otherwise it will be way off topic and will serve no purpose.
The point is to #bekind in real life, FFS, and now being kind means being really careful and thinking about others, however inconvenient it is. Listen to the advice of your health department or epidemiologist, sorry to be vulgar, but influencers can go fuck themselves now, well any time really, but especially now. The majority of them don't leave the house anyway, but take selfies and troll the unsuspected public.

• Heart

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
She's being disingenuous here, isn't she?

20200305_140849.jpg
"I have never in my life failed to declare a commercial project or sponsored post".

Well, yeah. No one is disputing that if a brand said 'here's some cash to pretend you are a bra fitter, can you make three posts for us disempowering women from their own knowledge of their own bodies by pretending you are an expert because you are soooo good at matching skin toned foundation to, er, skin tones", SH wouldn't duly make those three posts, flagging them all in flashing letters as #ads.

Our objection is that she will 'randomly' mention the brand as something she's worn since your granny was in crinolines, or post how much she loves it now, or will post a 'random' picture of it, mention a brand in a tweet etc etc. In all THOSE cases, despite her having a pre-existing or anticipated relationship with the brand, she doesn't declare them as ads. Which they are, because in all cases, it turns out eventually that there is paid content behind her 'sudden' declaration she's used X for years...

It's this 'grey' area which is where she misrepresents herself as #brand 'Honest'. Which is bullshit.

As for 'press samples'... It used to be that a press sample was either borrowed temporarily (like designer clothes, borrowed for a fashion shoot), or was like a tester bottle in a shop. There might have been a lunch to accompany your opportunity to pat on a bit of the product, but nothing like what happens now with holidays and entire ranges sent to gurus. These are not samples, these are bribes. Seriously, they actually fit the legal definition of a bribe. I think there is a convincing argument that '#press sample' should be outlawed entirely and replaced with #ad, ie I got sent this free.

• Heart

SqualorVictoria

VIP Member
This gets even better... Aren't we supposed to be doing our hair and makeup for ourselves? Or to defy The Man? Get through this horrible time?
So cutting fringe= totally fine and a valuable life skill but for wanting to trim your split ends you're a saddo as no one is gonna be looking at your beefy self anyway? Sali on Twitter really is the gift that keeps on giving

• Haha

zcfthc5

Chatty Member
To declare all desserts from a global region as 'unbearable' seems quite crass to me, especially from someone who considered writing a cookbook.

• Haha
  • Heart

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Speaking of friends I'm sure I've shared this with you all before but hey ho.

A few years ago I was out for an office leaving do dinner and there were about 20 of us. I was quite dressed up and had made an effort. Anyway at some point my friend shouted down the table to me apropos nothing - 'Jelly you could have such a pretty face if only you had Botox and a different hairstyle'. Awkward silence all round with people then looking at me closely saying 'but she doesn't need Botox etc' with my friend then pointing out exactly where I needed it. I have rarely been so upset and humiliated. Bizarrely we are still friends. She did one of those 'I was so drunk I don't remember a thing about last night' things.
Years later I still have not had it but those words do ring in my ears sometimes. It is hard I think to not look at your aging face as something shameful.
Also I wonder if I had lots of money would I do it? Is a sign of wealth and freebies a smooth shiney face? While we peasants fight over bog roll in Tesco's with our beefy wrinkly faces?

• Wow
  • Angry

Lemsipmax

She's been going for years and years....She's like a tragic 18 year old trying to be the cool one in the sixth form common room.

• Haha

Curio

Chatty Member
Because she’s a CENTRAL Brighton & Hove resident and CENTRAL Brighton & Hove residents would never do that. Unless it’s to get curry.

• Haha

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
It’s decent of her to finally admit she is pressured into including certain things in her columns and not writing totally of her own free will with zero obligations as previously claimed 😂

• Haha
  • Heart

zcfthc5

Chatty Member
its a tricky one - whether to do a big boots order, or to buy from a beauty only company so that boots delivery slots are used by those who need medical things delivered?

If only there was a reputable newspaper with a progressive beauty journalist who could make sound judgments during this unique time...

• Haha