Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

bottlewrapper

Chatty Member
That column. Dear me. So she's essentially recommending two services which would replace reading a 'beauty' column?

And both 'services' are completely disingenuous. Access to 'dermatologists, doctors and pharmacists' via sending in a photo for £20? We know how that's going to work, don't we... A sales person (no different to a counter sales person - I refuse to call them 'consultants' because it sounds like a medical consultant, ie a senior doctor) looks at your pic and then sends you whatever three+ step regime they need to shift. Anyone with skin that looks like it should be examined on Embarrassing Bodies gets their photo sent a derm who takes a two second look at the picture and then will recommend they go to a doctor.

The other service is only a sales person too. 'well-trained, experienced consultant' - they all look about 12 years old. What are they really going to know about my skin that I don't? Once again, women are encouraged to put their power in the hands of someone else. Are adult women really 'bewildered' by skincare as Sali believes? Because if they are, they probably shouldn't be trusted with responsible things like, ooh, the vote...?

Why does SH never actually recommend a dermatologist? It might cost £100-150, but it's the best money anyone can spend if they have a skin issue. They won't recommend expensive products, if they recommend products at all (in fact they are far more likely to say stop using anything other than a basic cleanser and moisturiser to help your skin). I guess it's because most of the beauty industry's 'skin issues' are actually 'normal aging'. Anything which genuinely needs a derm (rosacea, cystic acne, psoriasis etc) can't be treated with skincare alone and will probably need prescription items. Sags, bags and wrinkles are normal and there is nothing to treat. And I have never been recommended a French pharmacy brand or any brand by a derm.

Yes, bladder is full of steam today. Apologies! 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I was looking at her Twitter and I just honestly can't believe her tweets after promoting going out to eat last week. I had to stop reading cause her behaviour mimics gaslighting and makes me very uncomfortable.

She's so fucking rude. People comment on her tweets agreeing with her and she says "that's what I said"

Insufferable human.
It is gaslighting isn't it?
After that Monday announcement from the government about not going to the pub not one person I know did that. Not one. Apart from Sali. And then promoted it as a good thing, and then defended it vociferously. And the instructions really were not woolly. Even then I think well everyone can make a mistake 🤷‍♀️ But now all this Twitter outrage at people doing what she did is bizarre. She didn't take it seriously and neither are they - where is the difference? If everybody had taken it seriously back then the situation may not be *quite* as shit as it is now.

• Heart

BostonFernGreen

Chatty Member
I’ve seen many news readers wearing lipgloss. I’m sorry but they’re clearly not up to date with current affairs as if they were they would know lipglosses are for teenagers.

• Haha

Satisfying Click

VIP Member
The Friday video was one big gaslight, hence why a lot of people came to read the threads and went, "Huh? Where did they say x, y and z?"

Reactions: 14

Jade Mitzi

VIP Member
I really am glad the clapping helped some key workers but I think a lot of them are just so sad and worried at the moment it is hard to feel jollied along.
My OH is a key worker (he is a welfare officer for asylum seekers in emergency accommodation). He is working every day visiting service users (inc weekends) as so many from his office are self isolating, and when he gets home just sits quietly smoking. Now really was not the time for him to attempt giving up 😂. It is such a sad time really isn't it. I can understand others like him just feeling a quiet despair.
I think Carolina on Twitter was partly right, it was more an exercise in giving social media content. Nice, but not overly helpful for the NHS staff.

Key workers needed supplies and people to respect isolation guidelines before they had to be made into rules for those who wilfully ignored them (you know, like going to the pub for dinner). Twitter is an absolute clusterf*uck of blue tick attention seeking. Step away from the keyboard you utterly irrelevant twats.

Mr Jelly Bean, enjoy 🚬

• Heart
  • Haha

Aude

VIP Member
I thought that 'contacts' was the whole point of Beauty Banks. Isn't it based on SH and JJ leveraging their contacts with beauty brands and PRs (and, before the pandemic, their large number of social media followers) to donate supplies?

AdoraDelano

Chatty Member
God she's awful. Why can't she admit she was wrong? I get it, none of us want businesses we love to close down but we have to protect ourselves and others at the moment.

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
@J4n0Z I wash my bras and blouses by hand and what would supposed to be a relaxing bath would turn into drowning under a pool tarp. And don't you need something harsher than a body wash? The whole thing is ridiculous from a luxurious relaxing bath perspective. Another chore to do while taking a bath? First shave your legs, then file down your feet with a pumice stone, exfoliate, wash your bra, blouse, sweater... Then take a shower to wash all of that off, meanwhile you've used up all the hot water, you're exhausted, cold and need another bath? (I've exaggerated so much, I'll get my own column)

So hyaluronic acid may not be everything we’ve been told. Thank goodness for actual beauty writers
Great read, thanks for posting it!

• Haha
  • Heart

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
I bet Sali is silently cursing MK for being honest and saying medical intervention has helped her look that great.

Sali should take note🤞.

• Haha

slugella

VIP Member
Not Sali related, but beauty/influencer related. They seem to be sharing a lot of products they've been sent for free still. Emma Gannon just shared hand creams from weleda. A little tone deaf I feel at a time when people are panicking about making ends meet, unable to find items in stock, or even have the time to shop if a key worker.. Donations to people who actually need it would be so much better. :(

• Sad

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
And the shocking thing is, this is ‘merely’ a beauty WRITER who has gone out and researched all this, not even someone with close to Sali’s status, who claims to be a journalist - but is actually just an influencer or at best, a brand extension in masquerade.

Journalists have a public interest element in their role and should above all be curious and not be willing to accept the status quo.

Yet - I can already hear the pushback from the likes of Sali and Caroline. I’m not a scientist. I can only advise on what information I am privy to. (Nadine Baggot, being a self-proclaimed holder of a science degree, has zero excuses). I didn’t know this information. I acted in the best interest with what was accepted knowledge at the time.

Fuck off, all of you. If this investigation is on to something, it’s because one writer with barely any clout (certainly compared to the likes of Sali) had the wherewithal to question the status quo, speak to the right people, do the research, put it all together, pitch the piece, and now wear the consequences. Which is not inconsiderable given how much £££ is now tied up in hyaluronic acid products throughout the industry.

What’s the bet mentions of hyaluronic acid quietly fades away into the background, to be replaced by something else in no time? Nothing to see here, move along. Same old story. Where is the professional integrity?

To cut a long story short... that is why Sali Hughes is not and has never in her life been a journalist, let alone a proper beauty writer. The only interest she has at heart currently is making sure her pocket is well lined. (And the caveat, as we have to add every time, is that there’s nothing wrong with that per se, just stop pretending to be something you’re not and stop sullying the job of good journalists the world over).

Kudos to Jessica DeFino, more like her please :m :m:m

Last edited:
  • Heart

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
View attachment 90430
Haha you can feel how much they’re dying to mention this place
I’ve never posted online about punching someone in the face.

Lauren, on the other hand... 🤷‍♀️

And it must have triggered shame because as soon as it was pointed out here, the tweet (and many others) were deleted. Doesn’t sound like owning your shit to me.

• Wow

PineappleQueen19

VIP Member
It’s not this place, is it? Nobody’s ever mentioned Lauren’s weight (and me referring to it there is literally just that. I’m not interested in anybody’s weight).
I have a sneaking suspicion that’s all very deliberate.

She contrives a conversation with a flying monkey publicly on twitter to say topic X is being or has been discussed here.

We all look at each other and go, when was Topic X ever mentioned? Nope, me neither. Or, that was only ever discussed because Sali herself wrote about. Or, on a very rare occasion it was mentioned once in passing and other people gently suggested it was best left alone.

But it’s bingo for Sali because Topic X has then, by definition, been discussed.

I think she’s hoping to make it as vitriolic and petty (and anti-woman, weirdly) as possible here because it plays into her hands. And the less chat on here about her influencer activities the better for her.

She may also enjoy being able to set the hares running on bizarre topics - maybe a form of narcissistic supply? (Just thinking out loud on that one).

• Haha

zcfthc5

Chatty Member
I'm so grateful that she pointed out the £3.50 cleanser would be good for povfaces on minimum wage compared to the 'much more luxe one'. I would have got confused between the £3.50 cleanser and the £15 cleanser if she hadn't confirmed that the primark one is for min wagers. Thanks Sal!

• Haha

Wobblehead

VIP Member
Only our Sal could take the moral high ground with a member of the health care sector that she had just cheered on
Sometimes I wonder if she ever goes back and reads these tweets and realises how snippy she sounds. She seriously has zero self awareness. I think we have discussed before on this thread about Esther Walker being honest about her Instagram experience and how she realised that she sounded a bit of a knob and that it wasn't for her; that is being self aware. Many in the Instagram world have less than zero awareness... and lets face it however our Sali likes to spin it she is really just in that group despite writing some words on a page for the Guardian each week. I think it comes from spending so much time on social media and less and less time interacting and working in the real world and in person where you are constantly having to consider other peoples feelings and reactions.

• Heart

Tesla's Ghost

VIP Member
Oh, the flipping IRONY.

But also who, who, who does she mean 🍿 ?
Pass the popcorn! But you know she'll never "disclose" (wink, wink) who, maybe just say: "The stories I could tell..." as she often does.
Tell us everything, Caroline, trolls need feeding! Pile it on us like monks threw food on the peasants in the film The Name of the Rose.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Well if it’s true that she’s never actually read here perhaps somebody should tell her she needs to. She’s obviously been fed a pack of lies by her friends and family, it is them that are making her ill.
Lauren can you screen grab this and show Sali please. She needs to know the truth.