Sali Hughes #10 Hiya! Am I in the wrong place? I came here to seethe about Sali.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've noticed in Boots recently (I'm in the UK) that Dove shower and bath products now carry the PETA cruelty free sticker. Loved that and wanted to share.

Reactions: 4
Reactions: 3
My memory is terrible - what were the 'troubled times' of which she speaks in 2011?
I still find TX Maxx to be reliably good for soap. My mum has particular fondness for lavender but says her old favourite Yardley has changed formula so doesn't smell as strong. I can usually find a lovely lavender soap at TKs - the last one was a brick sized one from Pecksniff's from £15 down to about £2. Yes I am a cheapskate.
Agree a bit more info about the usefulness of the soap she describes rather than the scent or packaging would be helpful.

Eww Dove Cream Bar?! Just the thought of it makes my hands itch.
That reminds me of the first time I remember doubting SH the honest, no BS, beauty journalist.

It was in the days when she still occasionally engaged with the SHB forum. She posted something about having had an emotional reaction to a new Dove TV advertisement. I think she might have said she was 'in floods' about it. The ad was ghastly - women talking in a negative way about their appearance, an artist drawing their portrait, other people commenting in a positive way on their appearance. The strapline was something like: you're more beautiful than you think you are.

I found the ad particularly hard to stomach because at the same time Dove was running an ad campaign for deodorant suggesting that - in addition to every other physical imperfection women were concerned about - they might also want to be concerned about the quality of their underarm skin. :(

I found SH's forum post really odd - odd to have had that reaction to the awful 'you're beautiful' advert and odd to have made a rare appearance on the forum to draw attention to the ad.

Shortly afterwards I noticed that some events SH was involved in were being sponsored by Dove.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
That reminds me of the first time I remember doubting SH the honest, no BS, beauty journalist.

It was in the days when she still occasionally engaged with the SHB forum. She posted something about having had an emotional reaction to a new Dove TV advertisement. I think she might have said she was 'in floods' about it. The ad was ghastly - women talking in a negative way about their appearance, an artist drawing their portrait, other people commenting in a positive way on their appearance. The strapline was something like: you're more beautiful than you think you are.

I found the ad particularly hard to stomach because at the same time Dove was running an ad campaign for deodorant suggesting that - in addition to every other physical imperfection women were concerned about - they might also want to be concerned about the quality of their underarm skin. :(

I found SH's forum post really odd - odd to have had that reaction to the awful 'you're beautiful' advert and odd to have made a rare appearance on the forum to draw attention to the ad.

Shortly afterwards I noticed that some events SH was involved in were being sponsored by Dove.
She really was an influencer before the term was invented. An absolute master of the soft sell.

Reactions: 8
My memory is terrible - what were the 'troubled times' of which she speaks in 2011?
I think it's that we were still in a recession and that austerity policies had been announced the previous year. The student protests had been at the end of 2010.

Reactions: 2
I think you'll enjoy this video, I certainly have. "Worst" products videos are a rarity these days, but when the whole you tube thing was starting, they were a staple. Glad to see Michele was honest and entertaining (as she's been thus far) and I want her gorgeous rings!
Omg I’ve never been so pleased about not being able to afford these expensive products, thank you.

I love her. Wish she had the guardian column.

Eeeeuw @lipsticktaser you 💩??? That is so povo and shitmouthy. No, the soaps I recommend are for those who take unabashed and unashamed deep pleasure in the indulgent ritual of an at-home self cleanse.

For the unarguable avoidance of doubt, these fabulous slabs of decadent and luxurious suds are a far cry from the nostalgia-hughed yet categorically rubbish bars of imperial leather my nan hoarded.

The giftability of SoapsSoapsSoaps soaps is, without question, their unique claim to a hefty share of an already hugely over bustling market. Think soft, slippery gauze in muted neutrals with a filmy hint of that glitter we all need a flash of at this time of year to dredge us from our vitamin d deprived winter blues and into the inevitable annual questionable imbibing of Advocat-drenched snowballs and Karen from IT’s homemade minced pies which are really rather dry but you take two so as not to insult the hero you have on speed dial for those all too regular deadline-crises when your internet connection decides to take a mini-break.

Once you have your capsule soap wardrobe in your greasy, grubby, minced pie stained hands, you’ll need to buy a suitable shrine so you know it’s comfy and safe.

I defy anyone to be anything less than unarguably spellbound by this seismic shift from the sleazy ancient body washes contained within the shamefully planet-damaging plastic sheathes and to their saintly, superlative yet austère counterparts which successfully signal virtue and style in one unassuming yet beautifully sublimely scented tiny cube of glycerin.

This post may contain affiliate links.

i BOUGHT MY OWN SOAP SO SUCK ON THIS tit FOR BRAINS.

• Haha
Reactions: 20

How very curious. She’s crafty, I’ll give her that.

I remember those ads, they were bloody nauseating from the get go. The best thing about them was the superb parodies which sprang up

“Like a white denzel washington” :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Heart
The second I see a bar of soap I think how I'd have to clean the sink more often than with having liquid soap. And I buy refills of it. Have to admit, if my friend was an influencer and she gave me a bar of soap (however much it costs), I'd be more pissed than IK when Malala wasn't following her on Twitter. A chocolate bar? Sure!
She was in floods because of an ad? I thought we were all too cynical for that and that's why "the industry" spends more money on influencers than traditional ads?

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Bourjois was the makeup I wore to my mum's wedding to my stepdad. I still remember the counter girl applying it at Grace Bros and how grown up I felt. (I was a late-blooming 16-year-old). The eye shadows were a metallic yellow and a bronze. I also got a pot of berry blush and a matching lipstick. It all smelled divine. I was obsessed with it. I didn't know then, but within a few years I'd abandon makeup entirely for the better part of two decades ... 🤷‍♀️

Excellent column topic. It’s odd she didn’t cover soap years ago, given her eco-credentials (🙄) and nan-love. But the writing is like a parody of herself...

View attachment 62580
You're right! It reads like a parody of beauty writing
I don't know about anyone else, but I never stopped using bar soap. I've never bought a body wash. Also, why must things be"cool and covetable"? It's goddamn soap. No-one gets jealous over soap. Covetable :rolleyes: Sums up influencer culture perfectly, doesn't it?
I couldn't even finish that column. What a snooze-fest

Wait, these are post-loo soaps? See, I told you I didn't get very far ...

Looks like Dove was the token povface option.
Does she still say "povface*. I was filled with disgust when I first came across that in her tweets "years and years ago". Surely she doesn't still use it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Does she still say "povface*. I was filled with disgust when I first came across that in her tweets "years and years ago". Surely she doesn't still use it?
That’s when I left GTL & most of our friendship group from there were banned. I was banned a little later. But #povface was the start of it.

That’s when I left GTL & most of our friendship group from there were banned. I was banned a little later. But #povface was the start of it.
Yes, #povface was a bleak window into her real self. I think my antennae started twitching around then too 🐜.

• Sad
  • Heart
Was that around the time she said she was shocked to have been offered several grand to tweet about a deodorant which she "would never do"? I can well believe some sleight of hand was gone on there to distract from another product she recommended at the same time.

• Wow
Yes, #povface was a bleak window into her real self. I think my antennae started twitching around then too 🐜.
Yes, me too

And you just know this underlying contempt informs her charity work now. It's so paternalistic

• Heart
Someone sent her a screenshot of a Bourjois Instagram post confirming it is being removed from the UK, they asked if she had any Intel. She said yep its going, difficult time for high street brands

So... you know literally the same as everyone else..?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Why were you all banned? Was it the Whistles playsuit era?
YES! A friend of mine was the person to question the whistles play suit & #povface SH then searched everyone who was friends with her & started blocking! I survived at first. She was also searching out tweets for mention of her name (not @). It was bleeping pathetic. Think I was blocked when I pointed out his pathetic is was for someone “famous” to gave the time or inclination to do that (not naming any names).

Apologies for spelling - I was tapping so bleeping hard on my iPhone keyboard, the fury bubbling back up! :LOL:

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.