Running Instagrammers #9 We go by chip time around here

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Good to see this being spoken about on some corners of Instagram, but disappointed to read some time bashing in the comments. Apparently if you run a 5K in 19 minutes you’re too rubbish to call yourself a coach 🙄 are we ever going to quit this narrative?? It’s what causes people like Bester to succeed in the first place!

Attachments

Reactions: 9
Good to see this being spoken about on some corners of Instagram, but disappointed to read some time bashing in the comments. Apparently if you run a 5K in 19 minutes you’re too rubbish to call yourself a coach 🙄 are we ever going to quit this narrative?? It’s what causes people like Bester to succeed in the first place!
Gonna disagree with you on the time thing. I don’t see it as bashing, I see it as wanting the best person you can. In this world of “ours”, faster does kinda mean better. If THATS what you are looking for obviously. It’s disingenuous to say it’s not.

No one is saying if you run a 19 min 5k you are rubbish. But in the world of 5k and running fast, that IS slow. In that world.

Gonna disagree with you on the time thing. I don’t see it as bashing, I see it as wanting the best person you can. In this world of “ours”, faster does kinda mean better. If THATS what you are looking for obviously. It’s disingenuous to say it’s not.

No one is saying if you run a 19 min 5k you are rubbish. But in the world of 5k and running fast, that IS slow. In that world.
But why is running fast a marker of good coaching? A great coach can coach people of far superior ability to them. Look at professional coaches in pretty much any sport, they were often never the best player.

Sure you can want someone of similar pace to you if you think that will help them understand you. But just because Joe can run a 17 minute Parkrun doesn’t mean he has any concept of how to get you there 🤷‍♀️

It frustrates me that people don’t seem to get this. It’s why people like Bester and PMG get flooded with clients, because they’ve turned their big PBs and social media presence into a money grabbing scheme and everyone is stuck in a “fast = knowledge” kind of mindset. Why is that better than someone with a deep coaching knowledge and loads of experience, but might happen to run a 5 hr marathon?

• Heart
Reactions: 22
But why is running fast a marker of good coaching? A great coach can coach people of far superior ability to them. Look at professional coaches in pretty much any sport, they were often never the best player.

Sure you can want someone of similar pace to you if you think that will help them understand you. But just because Joe can run a 17 minute Parkrun doesn’t mean he has any concept of how to get you there 🤷‍♀️

It frustrates me that people don’t seem to get this. It’s why people like Bester and PMG get flooded with clients, because they’ve turned their big PBs and social media presence into a money grabbing scheme and everyone is stuck in a “fast = knowledge” kind of mindset. Why is that better than someone with a deep coaching knowledge and loads of experience, but might happen to run a 5 hr marathon?
Arguably as well people who are naturally gifted enough to run a 19 minute 5k straight off the bat likely won’t have the experience to change up the training, push through the negatives etc.

We have a gent in our club who’s run over 100 marathons, almost all over 4 1/2 hours and most over 5 hours, compared to many who’ve only done one or two at sub 4 hours - I know who I’d prefer to have coach me on a marathon distance!

Reactions: 9
Running fast isn’t a good marker of coaching. I’ll hammer this point, I can’t remember his name but the Jamaican sprinting coach, who made Usain Bolt et al… doesn’t run, not a runner.
Fast times only allow really for good marketing

• Heart
Reactions: 13

Running fast isn’t a good marker of coaching. I’ll hammer this point, I can’t remember his name but the Jamaican sprinting coach, who made Usain Bolt et al… doesn’t run, not a runner.
Fast times only allow really for good marketing
Totally agree, how fast you can run has nothing to do with being a good coach.

Also, do you think they had someone in mind when they said "limited spots left"?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Agreed. My daughter getting involved with the junior section of our club has opened my eyes.

Two out of three of the coaches would struggle to run a 5k but their coaching is exceptional with more than a few kids now competing at national level. The time and dedication they give is phenomenal and all for free/at their own expense, driving round the country supporting the kids.

I'd much rather have a coach that isn't obsessed with their own running because that doesn't leave much time for clients.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Arguably as well people who are naturally gifted enough to run a 19 minute 5k straight off the bat likely won’t have the experience to change up the training, push through the negatives etc.
Totally agree on the point of being naturally gifted! There’s a few guys at my club that spend most of their free time at the pub, do the odd bit of random training and still smash out times most people would dream of. They would have absolutely no clue of how to put a training plan together!

And yet if they put their PBs on the internet, there would always be someone that would choose to pay for their coaching over the “slow” coach with a decade of experience. Madness

Reactions: 3
Exactly that, the narrative of fast runner (like Bester and PMG, both gifted) being good coaches is wrong. I play sports as a kid, and none of my coaches looked even remotely fit, but they were great at understanding what we need.

They are just sending people the usual Tuesday Track, Thursday Tempo, Parkrun and long run, with bits added here and there pretending to be personalized. And that's all.

Adding to this, if I do all that intensity in the same week, I'll break. Well I'll improve for a couple of months, and then be broken half of a year. In my case, I would need a coach that understand that less quality is better for me. And none of them will do that.

Reactions: 6
Personally I'd never chose a coach whose social media presence revolved around themselves. Surely part of good coaching is being interested in, getting behind the person you are coaching. If it's about you, then it's about you. And you absolutely in no way whatsoever need to have been a good runner to coach. Gjert Ingebrigtsen never ran competitively, he worked in the import trade I think. The priest Colm O'Connell who coached David Rudisha and others wasn't a runner. And the coaches who WERE elite runners are long retired anyway, so they are now focussed - you'd hope - on their coachees not on themselves.

Reactions: 7
I really think they pray on really inexperienced runners too.
If you have no structure and do a lot of junk, a plan with a few easy runs, a session and a long run you’ll improve; you don’t need to pay someone nearly £100 a month to tell you that

Reactions: 7
I really think they pray on really inexperienced runners too.
If you have no structure and do a lot of junk, a plan with a few easy runs, a session and a long run you’ll improve; you don’t need to pay someone nearly £100 a month to tell you that
Yes exactly. Anyone will improve going from no structure to some structure. They'd improve doing that if they followed a free plan available online.

Reactions: 4
Personally I'd never chose a coach whose social media presence revolved around themselves. Surely part of good coaching is being interested in, getting behind the person you are coaching. If it's about you, then it's about you. And you absolutely in no way whatsoever need to have been a good runner to coach. Gjert Ingebrigtsen never ran competitively, he worked in the import trade I think. The priest Colm O'Connell who coached David Rudisha and others wasn't a runner. And the coaches who WERE elite runners are long retired anyway, so they are now focussed - you'd hope - on their coachees not on themselves.
As I told before, I was with a coach of my team, and it was just as bad as the IG ones. I kept telling him I was tired all the time, and not able to race properly (as I was knackered). he never adjusted my plan, just kept telling me to "man-up" because that how you improve.
I was injured 6 months, and he never took responsibility.

So, if you have a coach, make sure (s)he cares and listen.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 5
As I told before, I was with a coach of my team, and it was just as bad as the IG ones. I kept telling him I was tired all the time, and not able to race properly (as I was knackered). he never adjusted my plan, just kept telling me to "man-up" because that how you improve.
I was injured 6 months, and he never took responsibility.

So, if you have a coach, make sure (s)he cares and listen.

Im so sorry that happened to you. I always feel so grateful for my coach when I hear stories like that. It’s a battle to get me to slow down with weights/runs, as my ND brain doesn’t like not being able to do everything or cope with change, but he’s never lost patience with having to explain the same thing to me 726262828261 times. I hope you’re over your injury and not lost confidence 😅

Reactions: 2
Im so sorry that happened to you. I always feel so grateful for my coach when I hear stories like that. It’s a battle to get me to slow down with weights/runs, as my ND brain doesn’t like not being able to do everything or cope with change, but he’s never lost patience with having to explain the same thing to me 726262828261 times. I hope you’re over your injury and not lost confidence 😅
That sounds like a great coach. I'm fine now, I've been years without a coach now and able to improve on my own. But I don't think I can trust a coach again (sadly).

Reactions: 2
So Anna has decided to go to Orlando without her kid

I mean I like Anna but at this point it is hard to defend. Why have a kid if so much of your life seems better without them? I don’t know I feel really bad for saying that but… it’s just odd to me

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.