Running Instagrammers #9 We go by chip time around here

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The marketing is effective but for all the wrong reasons. I wish people would realise that running improvement takes time, consistency and patience. Some runners on Instagram do make big leaps quickly, but sustained, continuous and injury free improvement takes YEARS for the vast majority and is sometimes quite tedious :LOL: It frustrates me that people are taken in by the promises of immediate PBs and Instagram validation. I guess that's not a sexy slogan though.

Reactions: 6
Yeh I know someone who in the course of 13 years took their marathon time from about 7hrs to 3:40ish. But that’s not a headline, and most people wouldn’t find that gratifying! I personally find it more impressive than super rapid improvement

• Heart
Reactions: 11
So do you think Anna's improvement is not sustainable? She went from 4ish to 2:38ish, isn't it?

Reactions: 2
I'm so glad I don't race much and am in the grim north where I expect I wouldn't bump into him. I can see Sarah is on the entry list for an upcoming race I'll be at though.
Is it Brass Monkey? I saw she missed the lottery for that and was begging for a 'spare' place which I thought was shady as hell. Not sure what the rules are for transfers but no-one should have been banking places given that she posted that message on the day entries went live (and subsequently closed - don't miss the madness trying to get into that race. Far too far to travel anyway).

Reactions: 3
Is it Brass Monkey? I saw she missed the lottery for that and was begging for a 'spare' place which I thought was shady as hell. Not sure what the rules are for transfers but no-one should have been banking places given that she posted that message on the day entries went live (and subsequently closed - don't miss the madness trying to get into that race. Far too far to travel anyway).
Brass monkey 😂. The hype around that race is insane.

So do you think Anna's improvement is not sustainable? She went from 4ish to 2:38ish, isn't it?
Given she's said that she didn't have a period for 10 months, I imagine it is only a matter of time before RED-S/ stress fractures.
Also the four hour thing - I mean it sounds great to say she took nearly 2 hours off her marathon time but clearly with her capabilities she must have been (for her) not taking that remotely seriously. to be clear: not saying 4 hours something is slow, but for her, it clearly was a jog

No, I've never even bothered trying for that one :LOL:

• Haha
Time to get the🍿

That knob Bester is very quiet on SM today, normaly he'd be smashing out a huge "sesh"
He did post his Thank You Insta post yesterday, which was a bit silly because he’s just been constantly deleting the posts he doesn’t like. I’ve posted it here for any of our blocked chums. The pictures were him in his suit from when he allegedly worked in finance but we understand he was a glorified tea boy and one of him in his twit Athletics kit doing some boomshakalaka bullshit 🤢

Attachments

I’m glad I’ve found people who are also creeped out by that idiot. I find his arrogance and self importance so vulgar - I find him and his smugness just repulsive 🤮
I know someone who was running quite close to him at LM last year and was quite shocked and irritated by his behaviour and his bleeping go pro.

Anya comes across as super smug too and also very immature (but then she is pretty young!)

Reactions: 11
Do you mean Anya Culling? If so, then I'd say she's an exception in that when she ran her first marathon, she probably wasn't aware of her natural talent and didn't train as much as she now does - therefore her natural capability wasn't reflected in her first marathon time. Even if we trained harder or smarter than Anya, not many us will run a 2.36 marathon because we simply aren't meant to physiologically, not matter how hard we train.

Not always, but often, big leaps in progress are proceeded by sudden, more intense training - such as leaps in mileage volume, running fast all the time and intensity of training sessions. These yield big results in the short term which are often noticed on social media and by our friends/peers - it's nice to be recognised - and therefore tempting to carry on with overly intense training that sooner or later, causes injury/burnout and therefore inconsistency of training followed by stagnation in progress.

If you're in it for the long term, enjoyment and improvement then gradual, baby steps in improvement is much more sustainable, safe approach - which you get with sensible, manageable and uninterrupted training. You can get far with this approach - but it takes patience and not being in it for the wrong reasons - like social media recognition.

Of course, there will always be people like Anya who have lots of talent and take bigger leaps - but those big leaps have to come to an end eventually, otherwise we'd all be world record holders.

Sorry for the massive message - I'm very passionate about this area and could talk about it for England! 😅

Yeh I know someone who in the course of 13 years took their marathon time from about 7hrs to 3:40ish. But that’s not a headline, and most people wouldn’t find that gratifying! I personally find it more impressive than super rapid improvement
I'm all for people who quietly just get on with it and make progress over time. 💯

Reactions: 14
When will companies realise that filling up instagram with near identical posts from different influencers is not the way to get people excited about a product?! Asics 'secret shoe' is oh so very dull - frontrunners, any two-bit running influencer...... Urgh. Boring.

Reactions: 8
Do you mean Anya Culling? If so, then I'd say she's an exception in that when she ran her first marathon, she probably wasn't aware of her natural talent and didn't train as much as she now does - therefore her natural capability wasn't reflected in her first marathon time. Even if we trained harder or smarter than Anya, not many us will run a 2.36 marathon because we simply aren't meant to physiologically, not matter how hard we train.

Not always, but often, big leaps in progress are proceeded by sudden, more intense training - such as leaps in mileage volume, running fast all the time and intensity of training sessions. These yield big results in the short term which are often noticed on social media and by our friends/peers - it's nice to be recognised - and therefore tempting to carry on with overly intense training that sooner or later, causes injury/burnout and therefore inconsistency of training followed by stagnation in progress.

If you're in it for the long term, enjoyment and improvement then gradual, baby steps in improvement is much more sustainable, safe approach - which you get with sensible, manageable and uninterrupted training. You can get far with this approach - but it takes patience and not being in it for the wrong reasons - like social media recognition.

Of course, there will always be people like Anya who have lots of talent and take bigger leaps - but those big leaps have to come to an end eventually, otherwise we'd all be world record holders.

Sorry for the massive message - I'm very passionate about this area and could talk about it for England! 😅
yes, I meant Anya, sorry for the misspelling. And thanks for your explanation!

Reactions: 1
Looking at Anya's progression

Oct 2021 - 3:05 (Manchester - probably the first marathon done with a structured training block with Bester)
Dec 2021 - 2:52 (Valencia)
Mar 2022 - 2:43 (Rome)
Oct 2022 - 2:36 (London)

By all accounts an incredible progression to reduce her marathon PB by 30mins over a 1 year period which will have required dedication, hard work and sacrifice.

On the other hand admitting that the training (probably) from the beginning of 2022 was conducted with the absence of a period really gives a dangerous message to young girls in the sport that this is the norm and part of becoming a faster runner.

I'm all for people who quietly just get on with it and make progress over time. 💯
Quite right! Totally agree with everything you’ve said.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.