Running Instagrammers #3 Worn-out sell-outs.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But she still ran a progression run even though she was going to race easy 🤔
So in the 7 days since her last 10k race - when she should be both recovering from a balls-out effort that made her sick (a 10K takes a good week to recover from at her level), *and* freshening up for the "A" race marathon in less than a week, she has done THREE sessions 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 10
I posted on Kellogg insta today saying I agreed with Gav and that I didn’t think he was being a bully - I was deleted within a min

They must spend all day looking at social media

• Angry
Reactions: 8
I posted on Kellogg insta today saying I agreed with Gav and that I didn’t think he was being a bully - I was deleted within a min

They must spend all day looking at social media
I believe it. I wrote a comment once that wasn't a complete arse kiss. I got deleted within a minute as well. With the amount of likes and story reactions she must get, she is on her phone all the time to be able to respond that quickly. Get a life. I wonder if Harri even knows what his mum looks like without a phone in front of her face 🥴

Reactions: 6
When i enquired I'm sure it was 70 quid a month
Oh that’s cheap, I was quoted £100 when I was being nosey and had no interest in joining.

What does he charge for coaching? I'm always curious what these influencers charge for their copy/paste plans.
Most charge £60-100 - PMG was £100 when I looked at hers in 2018 or whenever it was. Team Project Run charge £75 with a £25 admin fee accordingly to their site. Admin fee….banteeeer 🤣🤣🤣

• Wow
Reactions: 2
You can get an array of really god coaches for the same or less than that

Elilish McColgan and her fella
Andy Vernon
Ross Murray

I’m taking Olympic athletes who have done years and years of training, have worked under the best coaches going. I’d go with someone like that any day over an Instagram coach

Last edited:
WR hasn't even been running that long. A few years. Began running for his mental health. Some may disagree with me, but I think some people/bodies are just built to run faster naturally. Ive been running for 16 years and I'll never BQ. I know my body and my limits. But look at PMG who pops out a baby and is running faster than I EVER will just months later. Fast runner does NOT equal smart/good/knowledgeable coach. If you've always been a quick runner, then what do you know about different abilities? That's what real courses and training should help with. But these instacoaches do the least amount of work and research and rely on their fast ability and somehow relay that into coaching. Sorry, doesn't work that way. That really is belittling coaches who have put in the honest time and work to become a qualified coach! Paying some twit £100 for a copy and paste plan and rarely even talk with you?? What a joke. And then see how he reacts to criticism online?? That he is a petulant little weasel? Come on now. Bad bad advertising Mr Welshrunner.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
WR hasn't even been running that long. A few years. Began running for his mental health. Some may disagree with me, but I think some people/bodies are just built to run faster naturally. Ive been running for 16 years and I'll never BQ. I know my body and my limits. But look at PMG who pops out a baby and is running faster than I EVER will just months later. Fast runner does NOT equal smart/good/knowledgeable coach. If you've always been a quick runner, then what do you know about different abilities? That's what real courses and training should help with. But these instacoaches do the least amount of work and research and rely on their fast ability and somehow relay that into coaching. Sorry, doesn't work that way. That really is belittling coaches who have put in the honest time and work to become a qualified coach! Paying some twit £100 for a copy and paste plan and rarely even talk with you?? What a joke. And then see how he reacts to criticism online?? That he is a petulant little weasel? Come on now. Bad bad advertising Mr Welshrunner.
Completely agree. WR and PMG are indisputably very naturally talented. There's a massive irony that WR's marathon PB is only a few seconds faster his first marathon in his first year of running and he hasn't been able to improve on it more in the 4/5 years since yet he's convinced he knows how to help others improve...

Reactions: 9
100%.

I completely agree, some people are never going to BQ due to their body shape/natural max capabilities, and someone who may have never previously run a day in their life will BQ by a huge margin in their first marathon. As we’ve said before on this thread though, a BQ is not the be all and end all, and everyone should have their own goals that make sense for THEM. A good coach would help you figure out if they are achievable or not, and would be honest with you, rather than letting you chase a pie in the sky dream where you inevitably crash and burn at every opportunity.

I fully agree as well that a fast runner does not equal a good coach, and I’ll go as far to say that if their website shows a complete obsession with their PBs and own capabilities (*cough* Lloyd Kempson *cough*), run for the hills. People like WR and that ilk just dole out the training that works for them without regard to the individual. Makes me angry, as I’m a coach myself and I spend so much time making individual plans for my clients and being available all the time for them! And because of these insta coaches’ antics, people might be wary of hiring coaches and then be less likely to work with someone like myself who actually gives a tit!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
100%.

I completely agree, some people are never going to BQ due to their body shape/natural max capabilities, and someone who may have never previously run a day in their life will BQ by a huge margin in their first marathon. As we’ve said before on this thread though, a BQ is not the be all and end all, and everyone should have their own goals that make sense for THEM. A good coach would help you figure out if they are achievable or not, and would be honest with you, rather than letting you chase a pie in the sky dream where you inevitably crash and burn at every opportunity.

I fully agree as well that a fast runner does not equal a good coach, and I’ll go as far to say that if their website shows a complete obsession with their PBs and own capabilities (*cough* Lloyd Kempson *cough*), run for the hills. People like WR and that ilk just dole out the training that works for them without regard to the individual. Makes me angry, as I’m a coach myself and I spend so much time making individual plans for my clients and being available all the time for them! And because of these insta coaches’ antics, people might be wary of hiring coaches and then be less likely to work with someone like myself who actually gives a tit!
A fast runner doesn't equal a good coach, nor does a running influencer make you a good running coach. The reason why PMG, WR and Jemma are able to charge a extortionate amount is because of their Instagram following. The bigger the following, the more people will pay, which is what these Influencer idiots know and prey on. Take away social media and these people won't have a business. I'm happy to donate to a gofundme for Instagram to remove their accounts permanently hahaha

Reactions: 5
I agree
Someone who has gone from a 5 hour marathon to a 4 for example has made much better progress

That’s why I think going to a pro athlete is best. They have worked under coaches who have taught them how to peak , how to avoid injury’s etc

Reactions: 4
Completely agree re: natural ability. I've been running for 10+ years and will never BQ- which is perfectly fine with me. As long as I'm healthy, injury free, and enjoying myself, all good. Pushing myself to the point of getting sick during a race or wasting an experiencing like Berlin is not what I'm after as a runner. Boggles my mind that anyone would see Kelly's running and be inspired to hire WR.

• Heart
. Boggles my mind that anyone would see Kelly's running and be inspired to hire WR.
If you described the way WR coaches Kelly and the way he speaks to her during races etc, anyone would think she is in an abusive relationship. I understand the concept of being pushed by your coach, however I can't see things being changed behind closed doors. I bet he is so controlling of her in real life

Reactions: 6
If you described the way WR coaches Kelly and the way he speaks to her during races etc, anyone would think she is in an abusive relationship. I understand the concept of being pushed by your coach, however I can't see things being changed behind closed doors. I bet he is so controlling of her in real life
Yes! What's going to happen when she is mentally/physically done with these extreme and never ending training cycles? I can't imagine he'll take that well. I used to enjoy following her when she was clearly enjoying running (pre-WR obviously).

That’s why I think going to a pro athlete is best. They have worked under coaches who have taught them how to peak , how to avoid injury’s etc
I’m going to disagree here I’m afraid. Yes, they will be knowledgeable and have lots of experience being coached, and will be better than these insta runfluencers. You could argue that a pro doesn’t have the understanding of the everyday experience though - how to fit running around a career, kids, social life etc. And there’s no reason a non-elite can’t be a good coach. The one I’ve been working with has been a coach for 15 years and is one of the most brilliant and knowledgeable coaches out there - and he’s nowhere near an elite.

I’m not an elite either but I’m a far better coach than any of this insta lot.

Reactions: 3
I’ve also thought this about him

Yes! What's going to happen when she is mentally/physically done with these extreme and never ending training cycles? I can't imagine he'll take that well. I used to enjoy following her when she was clearly enjoying running (pre-WR obviously).
When she’s done and no longer being ‘coached’ aka shouted at by WR, she’ll focus more time on the kids and realise she’s missed out on some of the best days of them growing up

There’s coaches, and then there’s fast runners who have a large Instagram following who think they can coach - I call these people con artists

Reactions: 4
100%.

This! Absolutely true. Also, incidentally, true of some elite athletes who turn to coaching (much like being a great footballer player doesn't make you a great manager, being an elite doesn't make you a good coach...)

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.