Running #2 PF is a pain in the calf

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
In a show this week and really suffering with PF pain as all my shoes are terrible for support (split sole soft jazz shoes, tap shoes, high character shoes) 😭 running a 10k in ten days and need my foot to not be sore! Absolute nightmare. Going to find insoles for my character shoes to wear the rest of the week and also take my tennis ball to the theatre so I can use it on my foot before shows while I’m getting ready. Honestly a total nightmare.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
In a show this week and really suffering with PF pain as all my shoes are terrible for support (split sole soft jazz shoes, tap shoes, high character shoes) 😭 running a 10k in ten days and need my foot to not be sore! Absolute nightmare. Going to find insoles for my character shoes to wear the rest of the week and also take my tennis ball to the theatre so I can use it on my foot before shows while I’m getting ready. Honestly a total nightmare.

Honestly, with that amount of punishment, I'd be going straight into a foot brace when not on ice and staying in it afterwards for as long as possible. And seriously considering how much I really wanted to risk a complete tear.

It's quite scary to be in so much pain and then suddenly feel the skin of your arch touch the floor as the entire structure collapses; luckily mine wasn't a complete rupture and the arch did recover, but it's taken years to get to painfree and that's with religiously wearing orthotics every waking hour that I have shoes on my feet. Oh, and according to the radiologist who did a scan on my foot when I had Achilles tendonitis, the scarring is very visible on imagery. (His phrase 'Oh, you buggered it up good a few years ago, didn't you? You were lucky that didn't go all the way through').

Any recommendations for running shorts that won't ride up? I have relatively small thighs but they bulge at the top, so if the shorts don't reach approx. halfway down my thighs they just turn into hot pants.... I have always been forced into wearing ugly knee length cycling shorts but would love something a bit nicer!

Any recommendations for running shorts that won't ride up? I have relatively small thighs but they bulge at the top, so if the shorts don't reach approx. halfway down my thighs they just turn into hot pants.... I have always been forced into wearing ugly knee length cycling shorts but would love something a bit nicer!
I have Tikiboo ones that ride up, but Rainbow and Sprinkles ones that are great. Flanci are supposed to be very good as well, but I have not tried them. My favourites are from Funky Sportswear, but they don't seem to have any on their website at the moment.

I’ve got a pair of Nike trail shorts that are fab, loads of pockets and grippers on the seam of the legs so they don’t budge. However the material is quite thick and they’re far too small for me now (I’d size up if you were going to get them).

This happens to me too (my thighs are the same no matter what size I have been that bulge has always been there 😔).

Not found any that don’t ride up.

I wear baggy ones with split seams as they are most comfy. Adidas zero things. They are so old because once I find a pair I wear them to death.

Does anyone run with a Coros or Polar watch? The battery life on my Vivoactive 4s seems to be declining and the offerings from those brands are far prettier IMO. I'm after a smart watch that does running rather than a dedicated running watch really if anyone has any suggestions. I don't run enough to warrant anything fancy, I like my map and a few basic stats. Furthest I go is half distance, and that's not often, usually 5 - 10k.

Does anyone run with a Coros or Polar watch? The battery life on my Vivoactive 4s seems to be declining and the offerings from those brands are far prettier IMO. I'm after a smart watch that does running rather than a dedicated running watch really if anyone has any suggestions. I don't run enough to warrant anything fancy, I like my map and a few basic stats. Furthest I go is half distance, and that's not often, usually 5 - 10k.
I have a coros. Battery lasts a week or so at the moment (running 4/5 times max 8/9 miles). I imagine if you were training for a marathon you would need to charge every 5 days.

Basic pace one would be fine and I love it. I don’t do strava but I think it is fine. It has upgrades every 2/3 weeks. Stats are good.

Tips for keeping up with gym stuff? I’ve had to join one to do my rehab, which is fine. But not being able to run is hitting my motivation somewhat, even though I know that working in the gym will get me running again. Rock > me < hard place.

I’m kind of in the opposite situation. Went for a run last night and had to hobble home with a big painful knot in my calf (any advice on what to do?) but I also do small group pt twice a week and I’m now fed up that I think I’ll have to not only rest from running but miss those gym sessions too. And lose all the strength I’ve been working on. Why is it when we try to do the right thing bodies let us down - I think this is part of being 53 and I don’t like it.

I’m kind of in the opposite situation. Went for a run last night and had to hobble home with a big painful knot in my calf (any advice on what to do?) but I also do small group pt twice a week and I’m now fed up that I think I’ll have to not only rest from running but miss those gym sessions too. And lose all the strength I’ve been working on. Why is it when we try to do the right thing bodies let us down - I think this is part of being 53 and I don’t like it.
I'm 53 and have been having so much trouble with my muscles, I'm really trying to stretch everyday. You could get a massage gun and see if that helps.

Any tips for getting back into running after an illness? I’ve been running about 3-4x a week since the start of summer but now that uni has started again and the bugs are going round, I just spent the last week and a half struggling to breathe due to a really bad cold, so I gave myself a break from running and now I’ve sort of lost my mojo. When I went for a run the other day I did about half the distance I usually do and then just gave up and now I feel really mentally demotivated 🥹🥹

Any tips for getting back into running after an illness? I’ve been running about 3-4x a week since the start of summer but now that uni has started again and the bugs are going round, I just spent the last week and a half struggling to breathe due to a really bad cold, so I gave myself a break from running and now I’ve sort of lost my mojo. When I went for a run the other day I did about half the distance I usually do and then just gave up and now I feel really mentally demotivated 🥹🥹
I'm trying to get back into it too so have reverted back to my couch to 5k solution which was to run to Costa for a Coffee.

I'm 53 and have been having so much trouble with my muscles, I'm really trying to stretch everyday. You could get a massage gun and see if that helps.
Mine has definitely helped, but Mr D using his thumbs to really dig in around the muscles and tendons has been what's turned a really tight and painful pull or small tear into just six days of discomfort (except for the actual massages, which were really intense) instead of several weeks of pain. Just used a tiny amount of bog standard emollient ointment that I use as an all over moisturiser to keep Psoriasis at bay so his thumb would glide over the surface, but he could (and did) still dig in at every painful spot in a way that the gun can't do.

And there's also spiky covers on foam rollers, just resting your calves on them. Not as good as either of the above, but they do help, even if it doesn't feel like it right at the point you're using them.

Reactions: 2
Plantar sufferers in arches.

Have you ever tried Fit Flop boots or casual shoes?

Did they do a really good job supporting the arches?

In Manchester this weekend and snow is forecast! Advice please? I've never run in snow

In Manchester this weekend and snow is forecast! Advice please? I've never run in snow
Don't is my advice unless you can find somewhere that has been salted. I ran last year, slipped and couldn't run for a month

Reactions: 2
I've run in snow before but it was fresh, deep and I wore my trail shoes. I wouldn't risk it if it was light snow, likely to be icy under it all (the snow I ran in was 2 - 3 inches deep) or compacted. We only did a few k as well. It's better to miss a day than it is to miss a month!

In the U.K. most of the time it can snow, be a MASSIVE media news story and it’s just a dusting.

Usually I’d suggest avoiding people and running on nicer paths etc but if it does get slippery, you almost want more people and footfall to clear it.
so people dodging it is

If you can, stick to main roads and the pavements should be cleared of anything fairly quickly with general footfall.

Has anyone had experience of ON trainers? I'm looking for something new and I just don't know what to get. I've run in Under Armour trainers for years now, but the reviews of the most recent ones are terrible. I've tried Nike Pegasus which gave me achilles problems and I've never really understood the love for Brooks. I've got a pair of Nike Milers which I quite like, but they are heavy! I need neutral and something that's bouncy but not too squishy - what is out there?