Ruby Granger

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think Lydia Violetta gives a much more realistic picture of student life.
Lydia is definitely more reflective of real student life! The balance of being on society's committees and going out alongside studying is definitely more what the average student's week will be like.

Reactions: 3
I agree that Ruby will struggle coming out of education, and think that either being a teacher, or eventually a lecturer, will really suit her.

I see a lot of similarities between Ruby and myself. I loved school and academia, and although I did have a slightly more balanced time at uni, studying was absolutely the priority. My mental health massively struggled when I graduated because a huge part of what had formed my ‘identity’ for so long was suddenly gone.

Reactions: 7
I agree that Ruby will struggle coming out of education, and think that either being a teacher, or eventually a lecturer, will really suit her.

I see a lot of similarities between Ruby and myself. I loved school and academia, and although I did have a slightly more balanced time at uni, studying was absolutely the priority. My mental health massively struggled when I graduated because a huge part of what had formed my ‘identity’ for so long was suddenly gone.
I think she’ll go down the PhD route first :)

Reactions: 5

I don't think her skin is thick enough to handle being a teacher. I could see her maybe dealing with being a lecturer, but idk, I just don't get that vibe from her. Maybe it's just me but I never got the vibe she was at all cutting edge with her work or anything, a lot of what she said is just parroting others.

Reactions: 8
Yeah that first outfit is great! Not a fan of the hairstyle with it, but that outfit is exactly what you would expect from a 20 year old, not the pinafore outfits that you get if you swipe through the photos.
I think pinafore dresses are actually really cute for 20 somethings too, its just the styling that's key! Like if you put on a nice white button up shirt under a black pinafore or a floral shirt and wear a nice duffel coat for autumn/winter over it, i think its really cute! Think Rachel Green vibes!

Reactions: 4
I don't think her skin is thick enough to handle being a teacher. I could see her maybe dealing with being a lecturer, but idk, I just don't get that vibe from her. Maybe it's just me but I never got the vibe she was at all cutting edge with her work or anything, a lot of what she said is just parroting others.
I feel like she'll do a master's and PhD before becoming an author or writer.

Reactions: 6
I found ruby (and then the whole studytube... mess) by accident years ago and used to watch her because she made me laugh until I was physically in pain/weeping, but I kinda have a soft spot for her tbh. She's silly and still thinks that non stop work equates to academic rigour but I think she's more genuine than the rest of them, even if her priorities are a little kooky dooks lol. But yeah not a huge fan of the cardigans or the diet/exercise thing she's doing now.

WRT her staying in academia, I can't really see her doing anything else because it's literally the sole thing she does? I wonder if she'll reapply to Oxbridge. Hopefully now she's not just doing rote learning (although she tries so hard to make it that) she'll be a little more critically engaged, I feel like she breezed through GCSEs etc because she just revises until she can burp it up.

I think pinafore dresses are actually really cute for 20 somethings too, its just the styling that's key! Like if you put on a nice white button up shirt under a black pinafore or a floral shirt and wear a nice duffel coat for autumn/winter over it, i think its really cute! Think Rachel Green vibes!
Oh I would agree, it's just the style of hers! I have two pinafores that I actually wear really frequently, but one is a cord one and I have a more formal checked one which I normally wear with a jumper and boots for work. I just think the ones she picks are a bit too dated and don't look great!

Reactions: 2
I feel like she'll do a master's and PhD before becoming an author or writer.
I wonder if she'll end up reapplying to Oxford? I think her main issue of why she was rejected the first time was her interview just didn't go well and she isn't much of an original/deep thinker, she just did well on her A levels and likes to study excessively... Exeter was definitely a better fit even though she took it pretty hard at first since it was basically her dream from age 12. I think she's matured a bit from those days but I'd be curious if she does apply again in the future, hopefully she would save telling her audience until after she got accepted because otherwise it would be a bit awkward if she just got rejected again and got their hopes up..

Reactions: 8
I wonder if she'll end up reapplying to Oxford? I think her main issue of why she was rejected the first time was her interview just didn't go well and she isn't much of an original/deep thinker, she just did well on her A levels and likes to study excessively... Exeter was definitely a better fit even though she took it pretty hard at first since it was basically her dream from age 12. I think she's matured a bit from those days but I'd be curious if she does apply again in the future, hopefully she would save telling her audience until after she got accepted because otherwise it would be a bit awkward if she just got rejected again and got their hopes up..
I feel like she may reapply for her master's but yes, I imagine if she ever did, she'd keep it quiet incase she was unsuccessful the second time.

I did feel sorry for her when she was rejected especially as it was her childhood dream however, I do think in a later video, she responded to it well.

She said that she was glad in away as it taught that it's okay to fail and she will not always to be good at everything. I found that to be a good lesson for her.

I feel like that she should have been instilled to her at an early age. I feel like her parents aren't ones to teach her life lessons that she doesn't need to be absolutely perfect all the time. And that education isn't the be all and end all. It makes me feel bad for Martha having to compete with Ruby all the time.

I know someone who went to Oxford and I know they like you to have other interests and hobbies rather than just have brilliantly academic you are. I wonder if the lack of other interests could have been part of her downfall as well?

Reactions: 10
I know someone who went to Oxford and I know they like you to have other interests and hobbies rather than just have brilliantly academic you are. I wonder if the lack of other interests could have been part of her downfall as well?
I agree with this. She's just so insular and one dimensional, the complete opposite of what Oxford are looking for. She desperately needs to gain some life experience and broaden her tiny horizons. I think this could well have been her undoing in the Oxford interview. How is it her and her sister are so totally different? So it's not like her parents brought her up to be what she is today?

I agree with this. She's just so insular and one dimensional, the complete opposite of what Oxford are looking for. She desperately needs to gain some life experience and broaden her tiny horizons. I think this could well have been her undoing in the Oxford interview. How is it her and her sister are so totally different? So it's not like her parents brought her up to be what she is today?
I really think that Harry Potter, or Hermione specifically, really shaped her personality and identity. I went through a similar phase, but grew out of it around 13/14. I don’t think that she’d be successful at Oxford until she learns to have some form of a life outside of academia.

Reactions: 11
I really think that Harry Potter, or Hermione specifically, really shaped her personality and identity. I went through a similar phase, but grew out of it around 13/14. I don’t think that she’d be successful at Oxford until she learns to have some form of a life outside of academia.
But that's the point, she's never developed past the mid teens phase. She's even obsessed with still wearing age 13 clothing.

Reactions: 2
I think that she's so obsessed with Hermione that she's based her personality and life around it.

Her accent, obsession with academia/being clever and reading. Just to name a few.

I know her family are well spoken but she absolutely takes it a bit further.

Reactions: 3
I'll be honest, I never went to uni so just wanted to ask.

Is Ruby doing extra or is that the normal amount of uni work you're assigned?

It just seems like she's always working on her uni stuff but don't know if it's the normal amount or she's asked for extra work to do?

Hope this makes sense!
I'd recommend checking PaigeY's old Cambridge videos, especially first and second year ones. I cannot comment on Ruby's workload, I didn't go to Exeter or study her degree but if Paige could keep up with a NatSci degree at Cambridge, keep up with rowing, take up ballroom dancing on her first year and maintain a well balanced social life, I'm guessing it will not be an unimaginable amount of work for Ruby either. She probably has a lot more reading than a science degree but I don't think it's a crushing load of work at all. Plenty of people keep up with lectures as well as extracurriculars and social life. I guess Ruby prioritizes academic work over other things.

You need really thick skin to be a lecturer, student evaluations are used to assess performance and there are even reviews on public forums like ratemyprofessor.

I could see Ruby as a primary school teacher, maybe even a good one if she didn't fall too much to the strict teacher side because that's her Victorianised idea of teaching, and I think she would be good at encouraging a love of reading, but she'll always have negative associations with high school due to her own experiences not fitting in.

Reactions: 10
I could see Ruby as a primary school teacher, maybe even a good one if she didn't fall too much to the strict teacher side because that's her Victorianised idea of teaching, and I think she would be good at encouraging a love of reading, but she'll always have negative associations with high school due to her own experiences not fitting in.
I don't know if she could cope with the constant scrutiny, knowing that your very best is never good enough, constant teacher bashing and the very fact that the government has zero faith in your abilities.

I could see her teaching at her old school. I know she talks (a lot) about being bullied etc but I still think she would go back to somewhere familiar. If her school teaches nursery/younger children I could definitely see her doing that.

Other than that I think she will stay with her youtube channel and use her platform to publish children's fiction and maybe be a speaker in schools about bullying.

• Heart
Rubys insta story - talking about A level results in what I'm assuming is a paid ad and how there are always options regardless of A level result etc etc

idk I feel it kind of poor taste to talk about how disappointed she was in her A in Religious Studies. A lot of people were downgraded so much they lost out on a university place, I've seen people online who have been rejected from all 5 they applied to because they were downgraded so much. Some people were predicted As and got Cs. I've seen people being given Us.
An A will still get you into most unis. I understand her being disappointed when she was aiming for an A* but I don't think now is the time to talk about that when there are people out there having to rethink their futures. Seems a tad out of touch in my opinion...

Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.