Ruby Granger

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Rubys insta story - talking about A level results in what I'm assuming is a paid ad and how there are always options regardless of A level result etc etc

idk I feel it kind of poor taste to talk about how disappointed she was in her A in Religious Studies. A lot of people were downgraded so much they lost out on a university place, I've seen people online who have been rejected from all 5 they applied to because they were downgraded so much. Some people were predicted As and got Cs. I've seen people being given Us.
An A will still get you into most unis. I understand her being disappointed when she was aiming for an A* but I don't think now is the time to talk about that when there are people out there having to rethink their futures. Seems a tad out of touch in my opinion...
Very out of touch, naively insensitive i think

Reactions: 4
Imagine hearing about someone’s detestation over an A when your background meant you got cheated out of a uni place. Come on Ruby you can’t be that out of touch can you 🙄
For me, it's the fact that the study tubers who I have seen talking about it such Ruby, Unjaded Jade and Jack Edwards all did their A-levels and exams under 'normal' circumstances. They are also all from privileged backgrounds and most likely wouldn't have been impacted as much if they did A-levels this year. For once, why can't they sit back and acknowledge it's not about themselves. Interestingly, those three all seemed to say roughly the same thing which makes me wonder if their management told them to say it (considering they're all managed by Sixteenth).

Reactions: 9
For me, it's the fact that the study tubers who I have seen talking about it such Ruby, Unjaded Jade and Jack Edwards all did their A-levels and exams under 'normal' circumstances. They are also all from privileged backgrounds and most likely wouldn't have been impacted as much if they did A-levels this year. For once, why can't they sit back and acknowledge it's not about themselves. Interestingly, those three all seemed to say roughly the same thing which makes me wonder if their management told them to say it (considering they're all managed by Sixteenth).
They should’ve said a generic good luck and left it at that. You can’t compare this to normal times at all. Has eve Cornwell said anything on it? She’s the same management so would be interested to see if she did or not

Reactions: 5
They should’ve said a generic good luck and left it at that. You can’t compare this to normal times at all. Has eve Cornwell said anything on it? She’s the same management so would be interested to see if she did or not
Completely agree! As far as I can see, the only thing she's said is that the class of 2020 have been screwed over. Maybe they haven't made her say anything because she's not much of a 'studytuber' anymore?

Not being from the UK, what exactly has happened with the A-levels this year?
From what I understand from many articles and information from friend's in that year (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that the government said there would be a 'triple lock' on A-level grades (because no one could sit exams), meaning your mark would either come from your mock exam grade, your predicted grades or from a resit that you can do in the autumn. However, schools that historically have not been high achieving have seen their pupil's grades be marked down, I saw one girl predicated A*A*A be given BBC even though she had never scored below an A in any of her mock exams/predicted grades. There seems to be a correlation with essentially how wealthy the area/school is and grades and they believe that private schools have not suffered as badly as deprived areas (I don't pretend to know if that's true, that's what I have read). If anyone has anymore to add please do so because I don't know much else about it!

Reactions: 5
Not being from the UK, what exactly has happened with the A-levels this year?
Since people couldn't sit them, teachers were asked to submit predicted grades for students and rank them based on their mock exams, any in class tests, things like that. This was all submitted to the government who then moderated the results. Of course, the government decided it knew all these students better than the teachers that have taught them for two years and moderated the results based on previous averages for the school and on averages for all subject areas. So basically, if a school year was particularly high achieving compared to previous years and students were set to achieve results like AAA, they were moderated down to something like BCC because the school had never got good results like this before. Similarly, if a school had an amazing maths department but a terrible chemistry department, students who might have got an A* in maths would receive a C because the school's bad chemistry department brought down the average. Unsurprisingly, schools in poorer and more deprived areas have worse grades and as such those students were affected the most, meaning that many students who are from heavily deprived areas who had high predicted grades were moderated down, and many have lost the opportunity to go to the universities they applied to because of the government's algorithm moderating their grades down. I hope that makes sense but it's a bit complicated!

I'll also add that the government's rhetoric was that this was all about providing students opportunities to 'level up', but their algorithm basically meant those who went to private school didn't have their results moderated down so they're allowed places in the top universities whereas students from deprived areas who had the opportunity to be the first in their families to go to university lost out because of the moderation. It's basically a huge mess and, in a country like the UK that already has many class problems, has just exacerbated the gap between the working class and everyone else.

Reactions: 10
The triple lock was announced the day before results day, ofqual (the exams regulator has 0 idea) you can only contest grades if you think your school has messed up (it costs £190 if it doesn’t get moved) and some students grades got moved down 3 grades and over 21,000 pupils were given U grades (ungraded) for exams they didn’t sit

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Shout out to Worcester College, Oxford though for saying they would take all students holding offers (I assume some would have to defer) because they recognised these grades were not a true reflection of their potential.

If only everywhere had been so accommodating.

Reactions: 19
Shout out to Worcester College, Oxford though for saying they would take all students holding offers (I assume some would have to defer) because they recognised these grades were not a true reflection of their potential.

If only everywhere had been so accommodating.
They can afford to be accommodating because the likelihood is that they expect everyone they offer will come to them. So say they have 100 places, they might make 105 offers to allow for a few dropouts.

Most uni's will seriously over offer because they know historically what percentage of offers actually enrol. So maybe they made 200 offers to fill 100 places based on historical figures. They wouldn't have space to take all 200 students plus the Office for Students has introduced student number control again this year so uni's can't suddenly up their numbers.

So if you've made 200 offers but you can only take 100 students what's the fairest way to pick those 100? That's the dilemma. Oxbridge is in an almost unique situation of only offering the number of places available so it's not hard for them to make that decision to allow everyone a place. Plus they know their students are highly likely to succeed. The majority of uni's are not in that privileged position.

Reactions: 3
Since people couldn't sit them, teachers were asked to submit predicted grades for students and rank them based on their mock exams, any in class tests, things like that. This was all submitted to the government who then moderated the results. Of course, the government decided it knew all these students better than the teachers that have taught them for two years and moderated the results based on previous averages for the school and on averages for all subject areas. So basically, if a school year was particularly high achieving compared to previous years and students were set to achieve results like AAA, they were moderated down to something like BCC because the school had never got good results like this before. Similarly, if a school had an amazing maths department but a terrible chemistry department, students who might have got an A* in maths would receive a C because the school's bad chemistry department brought down the average. Unsurprisingly, schools in poorer and more deprived areas have worse grades and as such those students were affected the most, meaning that many students who are from heavily deprived areas who had high predicted grades were moderated down, and many have lost the opportunity to go to the universities they applied to because of the government's algorithm moderating their grades down. I hope that makes sense but it's a bit complicated!

I'll also add that the government's rhetoric was that this was all about providing students opportunities to 'level up', but their algorithm basically meant those who went to private school didn't have their results moderated down so they're allowed places in the top universities whereas students from deprived areas who had the opportunity to be the first in their families to go to university lost out because of the moderation. It's basically a huge mess and, in a country like the UK that already has many class problems, has just exacerbated the gap between the working class and everyone else.
ok, thank you for the explanation! that makes sense now.

wow, that seems really unfair to judge individual students based on whole school average grades. i’d be devastated if i knew i should have gotten A or A* but was significantly leveled down.

universities should really not rescind places from students imo

Reactions: 2
ok, thank you for the explanation! that makes sense now.

wow, that seems really unfair to judge individual students based on whole school average grades. i’d be devastated if i knew i should have gotten A or A* but was significantly leveled down.

universities should really not rescind places from students imo
Luckily some Oxford colleges have said they'll accept people regardless of their official grades, and I suspect we'll see similar at other unis across the country.

Reactions: 1
Luckily some Oxford colleges have said they'll accept people regardless of their official grades, and I suspect we'll see similar at other unis across the country.
That'll depend on the number of offers they've made. See my previous post for the explanation.

Reactions: 3
... sorry to stay off topic but HOW can this be legal?! If my kid was predicted A*A*A* and got dropped down to Bs and Cs I would sue the heck out of everyone who was responsible.

Reactions: 12
We do 😩

What are everyone’s thoughts on the academic planner Ruby is bringing out?
So sorry 😰

The planner is not a surprise to me... Jack Edwards is on same management as Ruby and has released one this summer also. I' m not keen on the big spiral binding, they would get bent easily. And the planner market is very saturated.

Reactions: 2
... sorry to stay off topic but HOW can this be legal?! If my kid was predicted A*A*A* and got dropped down to Bs and Cs I would sue the heck out of everyone who was responsible.
People are appealing on mass, there are petitions to get it changed, and I have actually seen on Twitter that some law firms are asking students to reach out to them, so I think it's very possible that we might end up seeing some legal action.

Reactions: 6
People are appealing on mass, there are petitions to get it changed, and I have actually seen on Twitter that some law firms are asking students to reach out to them, so I think it's very possible that we might end up seeing some legal action.
Oh that‘s really good to hear! Hopefully they will fix this

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.