Ruby Granger

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
20 year old studytuber, studying English lit at Exeter. Her brand is based on being “wholesome” and “productive.” She began her channel making Hermione-Granger themed videos, hence the pseudonym for her last name.

Her thread has been quite active on GG, so I felt it would be good to start one here (I’ve seen similar dine for Jade and Holly Gabrielle).

I used to really enjoy her content and was especially excited when she went to exeter. I studied English there! However, the more I watch the more I have found it really quite unsettling.

1. the fixation on “productivity”, when she has herself acknowledged struggles with OCD and perfectionism in the past. It feels very toxic - not jusf for her audience - but her own well-being. Aspects of it also seem quite performative. She writes endless to-do lists - schedules the tiniest things like brushing teeth and doesn’t seem able to deviate from it at all.

2. more recently, people have picked up on troubling signs with her eating. Explaining away small portions, increased exercise etc... she has also spoken about being inspired by Holly, who now has a thread on here and I know it’s a key topic there.

in truth, I worry for both of them. The comorbidity of Perfectionism and disordered eating are sadly all too common and wish their families world intervene, not to mention being signposted by their audience.

Reactions: 7
I stopped watching her vlogs after she said she sprained her ankle after 5 HOURS of exercise. Who does this apart from a Biggest Loser contestant!

Reactions: 2
I found her being candid about her mental health a massive insight into a lot of her habits and personality traits. I just hope she continues to work through things because there’s still worrying elements which I don’t think Ruby has considered, like the whole ‘getting more into exercise’, which with her obsessive personality, could spiral. Just hope the best for all these studytubers tbh!

Reactions: 4
I stopped watching her a while ago, didn’t know about the new exercise and food issues, that is concerning. 5 hours of exercise is ridiculous, that’s the level of a professional athlete! Ruby seems like she is struggling a lot with her identity. She is definitely performative. I feel for the 14 year olds that watch her and feel the urge to study 9-14 hours and schedule every minute of their day in order to be “productive” and half the stuff she does isn’t even that productive - listmaking, writing down basic reminders, making notes of her notes, ect. Had to laugh at her reading a book while brushing her teeth at the same time, girl you can relax and just let your mind wander for two minutes, not everything has to be filled with something.

Reactions: 17
The last time I enjoyed Ruby's videos was when she was still doing the Hermione tutorials

Reactions: 1
This is more trivial but she claims to be a massive Harry Potter fan but can’t pronounce the name of the play correctly!!! It’s cursed not cursaid (that’s how she pronounces it or that’s how it sounds)?

Reactions: 3
I find Ruby's sister Martha (or Marfa) abit strange, like she tries too hard to be the eccentric, cool , "give me attention" privileged kid with her piercings, outlandish fashion & 'vocal fry' voice.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Performative does seem to be the word - I don’t think Ruby allows herself to have any chill days for lazing around etc. Going on long cycles then doing hours of gymnastics whilst also studying seems a little obsessive. Her whole day seems timetabled within an inch of its life. She seems lovely but it seems too much pressure to fulfil her to do list every day.

I find Ruby's sister Martha (or Marfa) abit strange, like she tries too hard to be the eccentric, cool , "give me attention" privileged kid with her piercings, outlandish fashion & 'vocal fry' voice.
Every time she appears in a vlog she has a brand new style!

Had to laugh at her reading a book while brushing her teeth at the same time, girl you can relax and just let your mind wander for two minutes, not everything has to be filled with something.
Ha ha yes, if I tried that I would end up with toothpaste and water all over the book. It seems obsessive, surely you’d only manage a page anyway.

Edit to add: their house is masssssssive! Each vlog and look book shows us more outdoor space each time! I get Pride and Prejudice Longbourne vibes. I wonder what her parents do for a living.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I noticed on thw Harry Potter study video that she just uploaded, she’s reading “Fasting Girls”, a book about the history of anorexia nervosa. Not sure how this would be relevant to her life right now, other than if she would be struggling with anorexia? But my experience has been that reading that type of content could be triggering if you’re struggling with an eating disorder.

Reactions: 5
I noticed on thw Harry Potter study video that she just uploaded, she’s reading “Fasting Girls”, a book about the history of anorexia nervosa. Not sure how this would be relevant to her life right now, other than if she would be struggling with anorexia? But my experience has been that reading that type of content could be triggering if you’re struggling with an eating disorder.
Might be becoming a bit of an obsession, perhaps rather than falling into the ED she’s trying to read and educate herself about it though? I mean who knows what she’s said in therapy etc, but there’s no harm in reading a book to try and understand something. Often recovery is easiest once you’ve accepted an issue and understood it....

Ruby isn’t the type to leave her mental health without a check up though, unlike people like Holly Gabrielle, who’s never seen a professional (with an intent on recovering anyway). At least with Ruby, she’s willing to improve herself! I just hope nothing bad happens.

Reactions: 6
I really do hope she's alright. I don't think an ED is out of the question, what with her OCD tendencies and need for perfection. I'm a lot more sympathetic towards Ruby's mental health than the likes of Eve. Ruby is at least, proactive in seeking help, rather than fishing around for attention and reassurance.

I actually really like her, I want her to go far (silly as it sounds).

Reactions: 8
Anyone watched her newest video and feels like summarizing?
In the one about being productive and getting essay marks she literally went outside like 6 times during the day. I get we are in lockdown but she's been focussing a little too much on exercise

Reactions: 3
I’m worried about her. The excessive exercise and tiny portion sizes aren’t a great combination, I hope she’s ok.

Reactions: 1
I think some of you are reading into her too much. She's being a bit obsessive about exercising but she's obsessive about everything, that's just her personality tbh. I don't think she has an ED, she looks healthy to me. If she was overexercising and undereating so much she would have lost a significant amount of weight but she hasn't.

I think some of you are reading into her too much. She's being a bit obsessive about exercising but she's obsessive about everything, that's just her personality tbh. I don't think she has an ED, she looks healthy to me. If she was overexercising and undereating so much she would have lost a significant amount of weight but she hasn't.
even if it's not an eating disorder, I still think that exercising that much is unhealthy. I used to be a national level athlete and only trained a bit more than she did some days. Far as I'm aware, it was supposed to be a hobby for her, not going out so much during the day on runs and cycles etc. People are allowed to be concerned, and I think there's reason to be. Just my opinion, Ruby is a young woman (despite acting like a 13 year-old) and can decide for herself what she deems healthy for her own body. As an outside perspective though, I don't think it's good for her.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.