Ruby Granger

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think ruby is happy to do the extra work she makes for herself
After reading this I totally agree, if anything she’d thrive as a STEM major because the workload is quite literally never ending(not saying other majors don’t have it hard ) -source, a stem major

Reactions: 5
I’ve just been prepping for a seminar this week in a humanities based subject and Ruby definitely makes more work for herself. All I’ve done is the set reading, quick look at some further reading, and brief answers to discussion questions (not even a full page of notes). It’s not always necessary to write everything from set reading, never mind write it out multiple times. If it works for her then I guess that’s okay but she’s putting out the wrong message that you have to make loads of notes/ read lots for a 1st at uni.

Reactions: 8
I’ve just been prepping for a seminar this week in a humanities based subject and Ruby definitely makes more work for herself. All I’ve done is the set reading, quick look at some further reading, and brief answers to discussion questions (not even a full page of notes). It’s not always necessary to write everything from set reading, never mind write it out multiple times. If it works for her then I guess that’s okay but she’s putting out the wrong message that you have to make loads of notes/ read lots for a 1st at uni.
To be honest, sometimes I don’t even need to make notes on the reading if it’s short, I just make a quick summary so I know the main points for the seminar - definitely no need for 2 sets of notes 😂

Reactions: 8
What even is this whole dark academia thing? she’s talked about it before but only when she puts a few pictures on her wall
Sorry - late to the party! But just wanted to vent about dark academia. I absolutely love the aesthetic and I kind of buy into it anyway (I did before it was "cool", I'm that edgy 😂) but I feel like it's basically a rehash of the "hipster" trend of a few years ago with a couple of tweaks to the overall aesthetic? I'm not sure it quite suits Ruby, I feel like she should be more"tortured" to get the aesthetic right...

Reactions: 7
Dark academia, if not taken lightheartedly, is quite an elitist and poc-exclusionary aesthetic imo

Reactions: 11
I love the vibe of dark academia but Ruby takes it a bit far for me. There’s too many problems with it that aren’t talked about, especially by ruby when she is in a position to educate people about it

Reactions: 2
Dark academia, if not taken lightheartedly, is quite an elitist and poc-exclusionary aesthetic imo
Agree. I love the general aesthetic but do feel it can exclude POC. I can’t speak for such experiences as a white woman, at least, not on a personal level. But it’s pretty obvious there are some real problems with it! If Ruby is serious about channelling the aesthetic she should also educate people about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I'm probably too old and insular to completely understand the world of dark academia, but this point baffles me - can't POC dress in that fashion, or have decor that reflects the trend, etc?
Genuine question, because I googled this and couldn't find many debates about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
What is dark academia - is it the aesthetic of old libraries and wood panelled classrooms, and pinafores? I’d never hear the phrase until Ruby mentioned it in a video.

Reactions: 1
If you’ve ever read The Secret History by Donna Tartt then that’s a good example of what dark academia is.

I can see how dark academia is exclusive of PoC as a concept in real life as it’s based on old universities like Oxbridge. However, as an aesthetic, I don’t see how it’s excluding PoC. There’s nothing stopping people from dressing or decorating their room in that particular aesthetic. Feel free to correct me, though. It’s an interesting topic. :)

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I’ve looked it up now, makes sense with all the Miss Patina clothes (which I do like in moderation).

If you’ve ever read The Secret History by Donna Tartt then that’s a good example of what dark academia is.

I can see how dark academia is exclusive of PoC as a concept in real life as it’s based on old universities like Oxbridge. However, as an aesthetic, I don’t see how it’s excluding PoC. There’s nothing stopping people from dressing or decorating their room in that particular aesthetic. Feel free to correct me, though. It’s an interesting topic. :)
Yeah I find this interesting too, feel free to shoot me down but does everything have to be super inclusive? Like obviously not actively rejecting certain people and there may be an unethical backstory to dark academia but not everything does appeal to everyone and/or is inclusive.

I’m guessing it’s a European historical academic thing so as a white British student surely its therefore acceptable for her to “engage” in this?

• Heart

I think as an aesthetic it’s fine - it’s just the idea of historically less inclusive schools and universities being a main driver of said aesthetic. I think buying into the exclusivity of it knowingly and without openly discussing is problematic but the aesthetic itself is gorgeous and I love it!

Reactions: 4
I'm probably too old and insular to completely understand the world of dark academia, but this point baffles me - can't POC dress in that fashion, or have decor that reflects the trend, etc?
Genuine question, because I googled this and couldn't find many debates about it.
Of course it can, and should, include POC but what I mean is that quite a lot of people specifically romanticise the contextual time period (where education was obv just for the privileged, white and mainly men) as well as just the study aspect and general aesthetic. It can be harmless but people just have to be careful with what they advocate I guess :)

Reactions: 4
Yeah I guess its like the whole ‘vintage fashion not vintage values’ thing. Dark academia style is not exclusive in itself, like anyone can dress like that and have that aesthetic, I think sometimes the issue lies more with the type of person that community attracts, aka the ones who do actually have the vintage values as well. Not saying ruby is like that btw, I just mean thats how it can be exclusionary to poc

Reactions: 6
I think as an aesthetic it’s fine - it’s just the idea of historically less inclusive schools and universities being a main driver of said aesthetic. I think buying into the exclusivity of it knowingly and without openly discussing is problematic but the aesthetic itself is gorgeous and I love it!
The whole dark academia aesthetic being centered on exclusive universities like Oxbridge makes me think Ruby is still somehow hung up on Oxford, like the aesthetic is a way for her to feel a part of this idea of roaming the hallowed halls and libraries of Oxford, like it seems like an aspirational thing for her

The whole dark academia aesthetic being centered on exclusive universities like Oxbridge makes me think Ruby is still somehow hung up on Oxford, like the aesthetic is a way for her to feel a part of this idea of roaming the hallowed halls and libraries of Oxford, like it seems like an aspirational thing for her
I don't know about that! It could be, obviously, but I wouldn't read too much into it... I mean, I study physics at a very new university with modern looking buildings, but I still like the dark academia aesthetic and I engage with it! But that doesn't mean that I would prefer studying classics at an old private college! I just think that films and books in that setting are cool!

Still, I too don't think that the aesthetic fits ruby! She would fit much better in something like cottagecore! Or light academia! I don't want to offend her, I don't fit too well into dark academia too, so I know the struggle!

Maybe I‘m too old but why does someone even need a study aesthetic? 😂
Obviously it‘s important to have a nice area for studying and stuff but making it a whole lifestyle seems so unnecessary

Reactions: 11
Maybe I‘m too old but why does someone even need a study aesthetic? 😂
Obviously it‘s important to have a nice area for studying and stuff but making it a whole lifestyle seems so unnecessary
I don't see it as a "study aesthetic" but more like a general aesthetic that I find likeable! I think ruby just takes it to the extreme with the clothing and decoration because that's her brand, that's what she has always done with Victorian era stuff and Harry potter too!

Reactions: 2
Yeah I think its one thing to like an aesthetic but ruby really takes it to the extreme I think, like its her whole personality

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.