Ruby Granger

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Because she still can't part with her inner Peter Pan. Personal style can be a rocky road and she's still very young but I believe she would look really great in Edwardian inspired blouses, vintage jumpers and 40s day dresses/slacks. Her current combo seems a bit confused rather than eclectic.
I totally agree.

Although it's not a style i'd wear, I love the aesthetic of Miss Patina's clothing and their vintage inspired items

I feel like Ruby wears too many clashing items purely so she can wear all vintage style pieces, rather than wearing a single 'out there' vintage piece and pairing it with more subtle items of clothing

Reactions: 8
I think one of the book reviewers summed up Ruby (via her book's character)

Being "intelligent" is to be able to manipulate and articulate conflicts using OWN LOGIC [...] Erimentha is clearly just someone who has a very good memory for reciting textbooks, and is NOT HYPOTHETICALLY "SMART".

I don't think Ruby has much independent thought, she just recites what she learns in books and that's why she does a massive amount of "work", which really amounts to memorising published opinions.

Reactions: 9
It's nice knowing I'm not alone in my thoughts!

I know you shouldn't compare but Astrid (on YouTube) was an English Literature student at Cambridge and she seems a lot more intelligent, in a sense of naturally clever.

You'll see what I mean if you watch one of her videos.

I like ruby, I do, but I feel like a lot of her intelligence is not independent thought, like you say. It's mainly stuff she's read or picked up on. The fact she memorises texts and poems, and spends so much of her time studying. Also, seemingly making more work for herself and spending 11 hours on work which seems excessive for any student.

I don't know, she just seems overly studious and even with the way she comes across, not that clever, not really.

Reactions: 10
Even Holly Gabrielle, who wasn't used to read, made more eloquent reviews on the books she's read than Ruby.

Reactions: 1
Ruby’s book reviews are pathetic for lack of a better word. I really enjoy watching booktubers and their reviews are always really in depth (without giving too much away) and really makes me want to read the books they have. Most of these people didn’t study literature either! Just simply enjoy reading

Ruby’s reviews rarely go further than ‘I enjoyed it’ or ‘it was good’. I don’t think I’ve ever picked up a book she’s spoken about because I have no idea what the book is about or if it’s actually enjoyable to read.

I agree with everyone, she doesn’t strike me as someone who is overly intelligent past memorising content. But that’s okay, nothing wrong with that (I’m not the most intelligent person out there either) but because she wants to be, she puts so much unnecessary pressure on herself to do these weirdly inappropriate 10+ hour study days and gets herself down when she’s not performed as well as she was hoping. Life isn’t all about grades and I do worry for her when she finishes uni and has to get a real job

I honestly think the exact same, shes obviously not stupid but she just doesn’t come across as being particularly intelligent to me and also, for someone who reads so many books, I really don’t think shes great at writing tbh. Whenever I read her instagram captions, the way she uses language when she describes things is just really odd? Like for example here where she talks about autumn mornings being her dads favourite ‘temperament’, and then goes on to describe the sun as ironically seeming warmer in winter than summer. I don’t think its necessarily wrong but to me it just doesn’t flow particularly well as you read it and sounds a bit like shes been told to do a creative writing description of the weather at school or something. Idk its really hard to pin point but I personally have seen writing of much higher standards from people who are younger than her and far less educated. It doesn’t come naturally at all to her and she tends to over complicate things and use big words to try and sound cleverView attachment 271283
Why is it abnormal to like blue skies?!

She writes like someone who has heard certain terms before (like 'temperament' for example) and presumes she knows what they mean. She uses them in sentences to sound poetic, only it actually sounds obscure and not quite correct - reminds me of that guy from The Princess Bride:
Using_That_Word_01.jpg

Last edited:
It's nice knowing I'm not alone in my thoughts!

I know you shouldn't compare but Astrid (on YouTube) was an English Literature student at Cambridge and she seems a lot more intelligent, in a sense of naturally clever.

You'll see what I mean if you watch one of her videos.

I like ruby, I do, but I feel like a lot of her intelligence is not independent thought, like you say. It's mainly stuff she's read or picked up on. The fact she memorises texts and poems, and spends so much of her time studying. Also, seemingly making more work for herself and spending 11 hours on work which seems excessive for any student.

I don't know, she just seems overly studious and even with the way she comes across, not that clever, not really.
Thanks for mentioning Astrid, from a quick look her content seems relatable!

Reactions: 2
Why is it abnormal to like blue skies?!

She writes like someone who has heard certain terms before (like 'temperament' for example) and presumes she knows what they mean. She uses them in sentences to sound poetic, only it actually sounds obscure and not quite correct - reminds me of that guy from The Princess Bride:
View attachment 271447
Exactly! Like as far as I’m aware the word temperament is usually used to describe somethings mood / character, but its only really appropriate to use for sentient beings, not for the weather lol. Its so true though, she really doesn’t know the true nuanced meaning of a lot of the words she uses and it makes her writing sound so tit

Reactions: 3
Exactly! Like as far as I’m aware the word temperament is usually used to describe somethings mood / character, but its only really appropriate to use for sentient beings, not for the weather lol. Its so true though, she really doesn’t know the true nuanced meaning of a lot of the words she uses and it makes her writing sound so tit
Maybe she presumed that temperament must have something to do with temperature and therefore weather?

Yep, if she's not overusing words like beautiful and aesthetic, she's saying phrases that actually mean nothing ("I'm glad I live in a world whioch has Octobers" - what does that even mean?!) or words which sound like they come straight out of a thesaurus. It makes her language use very prescriptive.

Maybe she presumed that temperament must have something to do with temperature and therefore weather?

Yep, if she's not overusing words like beautiful and aesthetic, she's saying phrases that actually mean nothing ("I'm glad I live in a world whioch has Octobers" - what does that even mean?!) or words which sound like they come straight out of a thesaurus. It makes her language use very prescriptive.
Thats what I’m thinking too, I’ve heard the weather be described as ‘temperamental’ before but not like how shes tried to use it.
Omg her overuse of the word beautiful gets on my nerves so much lol, she uses it in almost all of her posts

It reminds me of the episode of friends when joey uses the thesaurus

• Haha
Reactions: 10

That is a quote from Anne of Green Gables, and I think it was used in the series Anne with an E as well. I believe the character was feeling joyous for being able to experience true autumn days; that's the context of the gratefulness of the quote.

I remember her saying how she "decapitated" a sandwich of something like that, regarding her devouring it with vigour. I think she'd like an extensive vocabulary and mostly she does okay but being well spoken doesn't mean checking the thesaurus and replacing all the words with clever sounding ones.

• Haha
That is a quote from Anne of Green Gables, and I think it was used in the series Anne with an E as well. I believe the character was feeling joyous for being able to experience true autumn days; that's the context of the gratefulness of the quote.

I remember her saying how she "decapitated" a sandwich of something like that, regarding her devouring it with vigour. I think she'd like an extensive vocabulary and mostly she does okay but being well spoken doesn't mean checking the thesaurus and replacing all the words with clever sounding ones.
Looool decapitating a sandwich hahahah, yeah I think that is the most accurate description of the way she writes tbh. I think she writes a paragraph and then goes into the thesaurus and tries to make it sound more intelligent, but its just not needed at all.

• Haha
For lunch we had cereal bowls no you had a bowl of cereal like many other students

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I actually really enjoyed her what I eat in a day but only really because I love seeing her interact with her roommate - she seems so much happier and more down to earth in those clips

Reactions: 6
I actually really enjoyed her what I eat in a day but only really because I love seeing her interact with her roommate - she seems so much happier and more down to earth in those clips
It does seem like she changes from the act she puts on for YouTube even her accent changes

Reactions: 8

I feel like being a good, engaging writer means knowing how to use regular words everyone uses in a way that's clever and inspires images. You don't need fancy vocabulary to evoke stunning imagery or a certain mood in a scene.

I remember she once studied by making a giant quizlet set, which seemed kinda odd to me. I'd imagine flash cards are better suited for STEM, where everything is fact-based and has a strict definition. But then again I'm not a humanities person so I don't know for sure.

Reactions: 4
I remember she once studied by making a giant quizlet set, which seemed kinda odd to me. I'd imagine flash cards are better suited for STEM, where everything is fact-based and has a strict definition. But then again I'm not a humanities person so I don't know for sure.
Yeah I'm not sure how UK universities work but studying history (and French) at an Australian university I only used flashcards for new vocab and grammar. For history I never even did all the readings, I'd pick an essay topic early on (all of our assessment were research or reflective essays) and do the week's readings for the corresponding topic and then do a ton more reading around it. Ended up with a first at a very good uni while balancing multiple jobs, volunteering and sporting commitments. It's about studying smart!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.