Ruby Granger #9 daddy granger is hot, childhood obsession is not, routine videos are a lot

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Lmaoo I love everyone correcting her with the right word
I think the comment about studying something "proper" is just a troll looking for attention
Many people think that STEM subjects are 'objectively' superior to the humanities. Not to mention that a large part of Ruby's audience comes from middle Eastern countries and other regions where the study culture is so much more intense. The STEM>other fields might just seem like a fact to someone fighting for their education and a well-paid position. Studying humanities is very much a privilege on its own.

I am so tired of having to defend humanities as not being less than. And people like Ruby are unfortunately part of the problem with their style over substance approach.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
She always misuses very basic words and grossly misinterprets authors. I could understand once or twice when the text is super difficult to interpret but she's a literature student ffs. The 1984 incident was absolutely shocking because if you actually read the book you would know pretty well the quote couldn't refer to what she thought it referred to. I seriously doubt the supposed good grades she receives at Exeter. I know she "casually" showed us some on her ig (hi Ruby) but if she really receives such grades then the grading system must absolutely suck. Honestly, with the level of analytic skills she presents, constant misinterpretations, misspellings, wrong use of basic words, factual mistakes with regards to very basic knowledge, very shallow knowledge of literature on top of that because she mainly rereads children's books - it's either Exeter got pretty bad or she's somehow lying.

I'm not gonna lie, I've never liked her, especially because of her stuck up and holier than thou attitude (inspired by early books Hermione, which is extremely dumb and proving her incapacity in understanding the author - because, Ruby, these qualities of Hermione weren't supposed to be inspirational and she's changed for better in later books). Not to mention the toxic studying techniques she was showing off which were extremely detrimental for her viewers - and now she does the same thing with covered ED triggering content. She just strikes me as a very plain person, only book intelligent in the most basic sense - she has a capacity to learn the material by heart but has no real understanding of it and would not be able to apply it in real life - look at her use of quotes in ig posts f.ex. What is more, she's a total sell out. I will never forget the Holocaust incident - absolutely disgusting behaviour (btw what's up with funding the Holocaust memorials at "unfunded" schools?). Now she's sponsoring some apps or an expensive laptop she wouldn't even use. It's sickening, especially given the absolute lack of effort in her videos and overall content. crappy editing, crappy audio, repetitive content with questionable behaviours. If there is anything more stupid than above is that she reads this forum and then seems to post stuff just to annoy us - when we actually give her good advice or point out that some of the stuff she shows may be triggering to her viewers (who are mostly young children - and that's why I don't feel bad or worried for her but angry because she 100% understands what she does and seems to continue doing some stuff with intention to piss us off). She's making a total fool out of herself.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
She always misuses very basic words and grossly misinterprets authors. I could understand once or twice when the text is super difficult to interpret but she's a literature student ffs. The 1984 incident was absolutely shocking because if you actually read the book you would know pretty well the quote couldn't refer to what she thought it referred to. I seriously doubt the supposed good grades she receives at Exeter. I know she "casually" showed us some on her ig (hi Ruby) but if she really receives such grades then the grading system must absolutely suck. Honestly, with the level of analytic skills she presents, constant misinterpretations, misspellings, wrong use of basic words, factual mistakes with regards to very basic knowledge, very shallow knowledge of literature on top of that because she mainly rereads children's books - it's either Exeter got pretty bad or she's somehow lying.
I don't think she's lying, she just spends like 50 hours per essay and regurgitates what other people say in seminars/literary criticism. That's fine to get you through your undergrad but it's in no way sustainable going onto further study.

Reactions: 20
Many people think that STEM subjects are 'objectively' superior to the humanities. Not to mention that a large part of Ruby's audience comes from middle Eastern countries and other regions where the study culture is so much more intense. The STEM>other fields might just seem like a fact to someone fighting for their education and a well-paid position. Studying humanities is very much a privilege on its own.

I am so tired of having to defend humanities as not being less than. And people like Ruby are unfortunately part of the problem with their style over substance approach.
as someone who has a degree in communications and media wit honestly just simply bleeping sucks when people tell you your degree was worth nothing. i've actually had a guy try to hit on me and after i told him my degree he genuinely asked "do you regret wasting your time? you know you should have done a different degree?". sorry for ranting but like, if you've consumed any form of media, used any app, read a book, follow any social media influencer etc SOMEONE FROM HUMANITIES WOULD HAVE HELPED PRODUCE IT!!!!

• Sad
Reactions: 20

Yeah tbh it's not the first time I hear stuff like that and I don't even care anymore lol I don't need to defend myself or my intelligence for my choice of degree, if you're a judgmental asshole it's your problem not mine.

as someone who has a degree in communications and media wit honestly just simply bleeping sucks when people tell you your degree was worth nothing. i've actually had a guy try to hit on me and after i told him my degree he genuinely asked "do you regret wasting your time? you know you should have done a different degree?". sorry for ranting but like, if you've consumed any form of media, used any app, read a book, follow any social media influencer etc SOMEONE FROM HUMANITIES WOULD HAVE HELPED PRODUCE IT!!!!
I've legit been told by a physics major that languages don't require intelligence. Like thanks for calling me an idiot to my face Karen

Reactions: 8
I found the 1984 incident particularly shocking as it’s one of those books that it’s hard not to know about, even if you’ve never read it. People refer to stuff as being ‘Orwellian’ all the time and 1984 is one of those pop-culture references that you’d know about, even if you only had a casual interest in literature. For a Russell Group Eng. Lit. student to just quote Orwell and not think about the context blew me away a bit. Ruby does seem to have limited knowledge in some areas - she talks about Cat’s Eye being a favourite book but she doesn‘t seem to have read any other Atwood and then mispronounced Alias Grace in one video. You’d think she’d have read this or at the very least watched the not-at-all-bad recent series on Netflix if she’s such an Atwood fan - I love Atwood and came to her through Cat’s Eye but to me, if you like a book by an author then you tend to read their others too? Then she didn’t know who Evelyn Waugh was, which surprised me a lot as Brideshead Revisited is very dark academia and I can see that novel being like catnip for Ruby - given how much of it focuses on Oxford I can’t believe that she hasn’t ever encountered it. Again, these are not obscure novels or authors and they are things you’d expect a second year Lit. student to have come across, even casually.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
yep without getting too OT, i study a stem subject but have done electives in humanities and from my experience - humanities are harder to do well in, more interesting and require/teach more critical thinking skills. STEM on the other hand, you can often succeed in with pure memorisation and hours of study.

i think the thing with STEM however, is that those degrees are *often* more 'employable' AKA lead to a specific career e.g. engineering. But imo i think that humanities are a better education as they actually teach you how to interpret/appraise information + analysis.

not trying to hate on STEM degrees (as i said i study one myself) but just giving my perspective.

yep without getting too OT, i study a stem subject but have done electives in humanities and from my experience - humanities are harder to do well in, more interesting and require/teach more critical thinking skills. STEM on the other hand, you can often succeed in with pure memorisation and hours of study.

i think the thing with STEM however, is that those degrees are *often* more 'employable' AKA lead to a specific career e.g. engineering. But imo i think that humanities are a better education as they actually teach you how to interpret/appraise information + analysis.

not trying to hate on STEM degrees (as i said i study one myself) but just giving my perspective.
also pls ignore my grammar can you tell i don't study eng lit

• Heart
Reactions: 10
What was this? I think I missed it.
Ruby accepted money for an initiative for Holocaust remembrance day (which consisted in her posting a story on Instagram with a lit candle) and then when people called her out for it, instead of just donating the money, she made up some project for "underfunded state school" and asked her followers to contact her if they thought their school could collaborate with her. She hasn't mentioned it since so we think she just made that up so that people would forget and pocketed the money

also pls ignore my grammar can you tell i don't study eng lit
Ruby is living proof that studying eng lit does not automatically mean you're good at grammar or vocabulary lmao

Reactions: 8
My partner works in the music industry and this is a rant I’ve sat through many times! One of the issues is that a lot of music libraries, especially the kind of ‘royalty-free’ sites where Ruby seems to be getting some of the ... erm ... ‘lower-quality’ stuff she uses, insist on calling anything without lyrics ‘classical’, which is totally wrong.
aphex twin is my favourite classical musician

• Haha
Reactions: 6
8C83AA4F-DE6F-4BAD-B889-8CDE39868147.png

thoughts on today’s collar?👀
definitely just my personal opinion but they just look like bibs or something 😬

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
Not sure what STEM subject you’re studying but engineering is all about analysis and interpretation of information.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Hi, I'm a new poster but you've hit some things on the head that have been bothering me for ages.

The most egregious example I can think of in regards to the misappropriation of words is her use of the word 'aesthetic'. Now I know that this is a word used online to describe a certain kind of style or personality, but an English student using this word in such a way is a massive red flag. Aesthetics in literature and other art forms are absolutely crucial to our understanding of a text, and it's categorically not used in this context. What's more, she often uses this as an adjective without a noun following it; I've lost count of the amount of times she's said "that's so aesthetic". It makes no sense!!! "That's so aesthetically pleasing", sure, even "the aesthetic experience", but not "that's so aesthetic"!!

I have to agree with you on her grades too. I don't want to cast aspersions on Exeter at all, but I go to a university which is known internationally for its English department probably more than any other subject. It's incredibly difficult to get a first in an essay or exam - the level of discussion and analysis required to get a high grade is beyond what I believe Ruby is capable of. We were told outright that we would be marked only out of 75, and from talking to my partner who is an English TA, he maintains that it would be very, very rare (maybe 2-3 people out of the class of ~150) to get above 72. By some fluke I managed to receive 80% for an essay last year and it was an absolute oddity for the department, so I really don't understand how she manages to get consistently high grades, unless Exeter have very low expectations at undergraduate level.

I will never forget the Holocaust incident - absolutely disgusting behaviour (btw what's up with funding the Holocaust memorials at "unfunded" schools?). Now she's sponsoring some apps or an expensive laptop she wouldn't even use.
This was the comment that made me post, so thank you. I'm livid, truth be told, about the absolute hypocrisy of this woman. Not only did she post about the absolute fiasco that was HMD, but she has the absolute audacity to accept money from a company which has vested financial interests in the Isr*eli government - a company which actively contributes to the persecution and genocide of Palestinians through their supplying of surveillance equipment to their army. To top it off, she's posted a story today about Palestine, and I cannot fathom the sheer hubris of her. On a similar note, did anyone else find it outrageous that she posted a story memorialising Prince Philip (a noted staunch racist and coloniser) while posting about George Floyd's murderer an hour or two later? How does someone reconcile these absolutely contradictory opinions? Then again, it is Ruby, so I don't hold any hope of her being able to think critically, even about her own performative politics.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.