Ruby Granger #37 You can still get one while you can

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Really? I don’t think the fact that he is white/male/MC would have hindered his application whatsoever. Oxford is full of these types.
Not so much for postgrad I think but undergrad is full of positive discrimination now especially as there’s an interview. Not so much at the time they all applied so I’m not suggesting that meant anything, of course Jade and Ruby didn’t get in either. . If he was super good it wouldn’t have made a difference though… Btw I’m neurodiverse and female, I’m not diminishing the real issues and disadvantages faced by minorities.

Reactions: 2
And tbh I’ve heard Oxford encourages unhealthy study habits/study hours/focus on study which is probs even worse for someone prone to that
I think that Ruby would rather be into emulating the lifestyle as she can't make an original thought and she would want the academic aesthetic.

Reactions: 9
It would be hilarious if she got stuck into some sixties' building-style accommodation like Castle Mill, oh the ~✨aEstHetiC✨~

• Haha
Reactions: 20

This was written by a friend of mine. It might give us some idea of what's in store for Ruby. :LOL:
"Unlike my undergraduate degree, there are no postgraduate-specific lectures in the master’s program (although you can attend any lecture you like across the university)."

Catch Ruby attending maths lectures rather than acknowledge she's struggling with the material on her own course.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
"Unlike my undergraduate degree, there are no postgraduate-specific lectures in the master’s program (although you can attend any lecture you like across the university)."

Catch Ruby attending maths lectures rather than acknowledge she's struggling with the material on her own course.

You can do this in undergraduate too though. No one cares.

He’s a white male from a middle class area which probs won’t have helped (controversial but true and I know there’s no interview but they could have known other ways through ethnicity tick boxes etc). Not defending him though, he’s an entitled nightmare and bet the place went to someone a million times more deserving. Not the case for Erimenthea…
Being from a middle class area probably makes acceptance more likely in lots of ways, but one that is very specific to postgrad is it will be a signal the person can afford to take the course and will accept an offer if they're made one. If a uni has a target number of students in mind for a programme, they'll have to balance how many brilliant but possibly unviable students they make offers to with how many not so bright but affluent students they do.

Reactions: 10
Am I the only one to think Ruby will do well enough in her masters?
She is certainly not a brilliant individual but her family can offer her all the support she might need (like tutors, therapy,...) and the only fact of being an Oxford student will motivate her enough to try as hard as she can, after all it was her dream since she was a 17 week old fetus!
Without mentioning all the content she can produce as an Oxford student 🙄
Can you imagine all the "routines"!?
And the aesthetic!
She will thrive (or at least she'll do her best to, and even if she'll struggle academically who cares? Grades don't matter and productivity is different for everyone, for someone it could be excelling at Oxbridge and for someone else it could mean being a very well rounded individual, having mastered watercolour, latin, being a victorian child, the art of making and drinking tea, collecting dust and dirt, and so much more!)

Reactions: 20

Honestly, she should go to a maths lecture to humble herself because she's had the idea that she's a polymath for too long. I could definitely see her being arrogant enough to drop in on one despite never having taken even an introductory calculus class.

Reactions: 14
I'm not sure that Jade will be that bothered. She seems so convinced about the "start-up" world (and despite what she says, she is an absolute corporate gorl), I can't see her going back into academia to the extent that Ruby is.
Jack might though, he seems to be having a meltdown about anything and everything !
Have you seen Jade's video from a few days ago, where she goes on about writing her dissertation? 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
She is certainly not a brilliant individual but her family can offer her all the support she might need (like tutors, therapy,...) and the only fact of being an Oxford student will motivate her enough to try as hard as she can, after all it was her dream since she was a 17 week old fetus!
Without mentioning all the content she can produce as an Oxford student 🙄
Can you imagine all the "routines"!?
And the aesthetic!
She will thrive (or at least she'll do her best to, and even if she'll struggle academically who cares? Grades don't matter and productivity is different for everyone, for someone it could be excelling at Oxbridge and for someone else it could mean being a very well rounded individual, having mastered watercolour, latin, being a victorian child, the art of making and drinking tea, collecting dust and dirt, and so much more!)
Yeah I do sort of agree with .
Let’s face it, she’s not the most intelligent person I’ve come across, but she isn’t remotely thick, dumb or stupid and she works her arse off.
I think she’ll probably do well enough there.

Her real downfall will come when she finishes and has to enter the world of work, she only managed about 2 weeks in total at the school and her writing career has failed spectacularly so far…

Reactions: 21
Yeah I do sort of agree with .
Let’s face it, she’s not the most intelligent person I’ve come across, but she isn’t remotely thick, dumb or stupid and she works her arse off.
I think she’ll probably do well enough there.

Her real downfall will come when she finishes and has to enter the world of work, she only managed about 2 weeks in total at the school and her writing career has failed spectacularly so far…
Her attempt at a PhD is inevitable I fear

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Her attempt at a PhD is inevitable I fear
Which she'll also successfully complete, because she has the financial resources and the non-material support systems that will enable her to succeed even in the absence of an ounce of talent. Meanwhile, scores of gifted students will never ever make it this far in academia because they, unlike Ruby, don't have rich parents to back them every step of the way.

But tbh this wouldn't be nearly as depressing for me if Ruby would not constantly drone on about how hard she works, etc. It's her unshakeable conviction that she got to where she is through her own merit that really gets to me tbh

• Heart
Reactions: 33
If that's the case, why her parents didn't offer her tutors before, for instance when she was so obviously struggling with her dissertation that it took her something like 20 drafts (the last one being finished 20 minutes before submission apparently)? Why aren't they offering her therapy now, when it's also obvious that she suffers from an ED?
Her parents (at least her mother) always seem to bury their head in the sand when it comes to Ruby: as long as the cash flows from YT, they consider their daughter happy & thriving.

Also, she doesn't work that much: she pretends to be working. Using four different planners in which to write down her assignment won't help her write them, and without someone like Blakeney she'll be totally lost and will have to forge brand-new routines if she wants to stand a chance.
However, we all know how rigid Ruby is about change... Her routines are the best because (1) she's the cleverest person on earth and forged them herself; (2) it helped her get a degree from Exeter (never mind Blakeney, we know she's the main reason Ruby graduated, but we're the only ones). So I can't see her changing a thing.

She'll probably be utterly happy for a few weeks, until she realises that she's in another environment and won't be able to reproduce her usual habits to succeed without trying too much. And then, she'll be miserable.

Reactions: 22
Guys could someone please explain the ways in which Blakeney helped Ruby with her degree (or point me towards an existing post which talks about it), I think I missed that. Thanks!

View attachment 2049165
she got in! It's finally been confirmed.

Honestly, I would pay to see Jack and Jade's reactions and also looking forward to how they'll congratulate her.
Of course she only realised after posting like all the other mistakes she only realised after posting but didn't care to fix. Calling bullshit on this one.

Also she is only so excited and not SYO, SYO excited. She really is terrified haha

Reactions: 9
Guys could someone please explain the ways in which Blakeney helped Ruby with her degree (or point me towards an existing post which talks about it), I think I missed that. Thanks!
Ruby showed in videos that she often took all the shortcuts she could to get through uni while doing as little work of her own as possible and had Blakeney pick up the slack for her in a lot of suspicious and underhanded ways.
  • She had Blakeney share her Notion page so Ruby had access to all her notes.
  • Ruby suspiciously mentioned that she read the Sparknotes summary of every single primary text before actually reading the text itself, which was a massive red flag that Ruby did this instead of reading any of the assigned texts. She also admitted that she read all the critical material before the main texts, too.
  • Along with this, she scheduled a 'debrief' session with Blakeney before every single seminar and lecture and said she 'suddenly understood her own thoughts' after Blakeney told her about all the reading that Ruby clearly hadn't done.
  • Ruby then mentioned that she'd arranged with Blakeney to share the recommended critical reading entirely - they would each read half of the secondary essays, summarise and then share the summary with the other so they could skip half the actual reading. The notes Ruby showed of her own were practically useless, so Blakeney did not seem to benefit from this arrangement at all and likely had to do Ruby's half of the reading herself anyway, but Ruby made out like a bandit.
  • Ruby "coincidentally" picked every single module that Blakeney was taking. Ruby started getting defensive the second she mentioned this and protested that it was completely unintentional, which was a huge red flag that Ruby did it intentionally so she got to be with her BASST FRAND and (more importantly) got to use all of the above lifelines in every module.
Sharing notes or having a study session with a friend on the same module is one thing, but the sheer extent to which Ruby did all this, along with sending long, leading emails to lecturers to coax ideas and thoughts out of them, looked every shade of suspicious.

It made it pretty clear that Ruby was very likely just cobbling together a skeleton essay from existing essays, Blakeney's notes and ideas and her lecturers' thoughts and padding it out from there while doing none of the required reading and coming up with no ideas of her own.

Reactions: 32
Tattlers, we need to crowdfund a wardrobe allowance for me- berets and Miss Patina
We could buy you that all-yellow Paddington Bear ensemble. 😝

@Welshgal waiting for Ruby to learn something about Wales and celebrate Dewi Sant. Edinburgh was already a stretch for her, don't think she knows much beyond Buckinghamshire, London and Devon.
Can you imagine her Welsh pronunciations though?

Call me Unpack Edwards because there's a lot to get my head around! But also call me Fatboy Slim, because I have to praise you.
That was too good 😂 😂

I just whannted tyo learn about astronomee.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Which she'll also successfully complete, because she has the financial resources and the non-material support systems that will enable her to succeed even in the absence of an ounce of talent. Meanwhile, scores of gifted students will never ever make it this far in academia because they, unlike Ruby, don't have rich parents to back them every step of the way.

But tbh this wouldn't be nearly as depressing for me if Ruby would not constantly drone on about how hard she works, etc. It's her unshakeable conviction that she got to where she is through her own merit that really gets to me tbh
I agree with the first part. Ruby's path shows a lot about what is wrong with the UK university system. I live in France and here, if you've started out at university, its not rare to go on to do a Masters afterwards, mainly because education here costs next to nothing (in comparison) and you can get financial aid. In fact, most degrees and masters require an internship (paired with a dissertation about your experience, often between 60-100 pages) meaning that you get paid during part of your course. As for a PhD, here, it is work contract where you get paid like for a normal job.
I find it incredible how little professional experience is needed to get to post-grad, and, how comparably undemanding it seems.

Reactions: 14
If that's the case, why her parents didn't offer her tutors before, for instance when she was so obviously struggling with her dissertation that it took her something like 20 drafts (the last one being finished 20 minutes before submission apparently)? Why aren't they offering her therapy now, when it's also obvious that she suffers from an ED?
Her parents (at least her mother) always seem to bury their head in the sand when it comes to Ruby: as long as the cash flows from YT, they consider their daughter happy & thriving.

Also, she doesn't work that much: she pretends to be working. Using four different planners in which to write down her assignment won't help her write them, and without someone like Blakeney she'll be totally lost and will have to forge brand-new routines if she wants to stand a chance.
However, we all know how rigid Ruby is about change... Her routines are the best because (1) she's the cleverest person on earth and forged them herself; (2) it helped her get a degree from Exeter (never mind Blakeney, we know she's the main reason Ruby graduated, but we're the only ones). So I can't see her changing a thing.

She'll probably be utterly happy for a few weeks, until she realises that she's in another environment and won't be able to reproduce her usual habits to succeed without trying too much. And then, she'll be miserable.
IDK why you think her parents should have got her a tutor for her dissertation. She clearly didnt struggle with her dissertation that much, she got a first in it. Writing a dissertation is stressful and its not unusual for students with mental health problems to fail, drop out, or have to repeat it and she successfully completed it. Her grades were also excellent throughout university (even in first year/two, she finished with a good first before she even knew Blakeney). From what I have seen of Blakeney, she seems like a driven, honest and successful woman who wouldn't let Ruby take advantage of her.
Sometimes in this thread it feels like people are just a bit bitter that Ruby is well-off and has money and resources but doesn't use them to her advantage - and that's understandable. She has been given privileges that most people aren't. But let's be honest, doing an English degree is not rocket science like many people on here seem to act like it is. A lot of students rely heavily on secondary readings to make their arguments. It's extremely common. Ruby is very neurotic and socially inept, but she's not a total idiot. She didn't cheat.

She is able to live a stress-free existence knowing she can do whatever she wants and not have to worry about a roof over her head of feeding herself - that's the main support that her family offers her and it makes a considerable difference in someone's life. Privilege allows people like Ruby to do things that very special people from ordinary backgrounds have to work extra hard to achieve. She will get stressed out because master's are stressful, but ultimately she will do just fine at Oxford.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.