Ruby Granger #37 You can still get one while you can

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We've got exactly half a thread now to come up with the perfect Erimentha in Oxford thread title...

• Haha
Reactions: 18
Randomly, did anyone try and mimic what Ruby used to do like in the 15 hour study days or her methods of productivity? I'm just curious about it,. I admittedly used to watch Ruby for productivity inspiration and I would be doing her marathon study sessions to get the same level of 'sucess,' she did as I struggled with university- ( just turns out that I am very dyslexic and it was why I was struggling,), but I did actually end up burning myself out from trying to copy with Ruby and other study tubers did as I was desperate to do well and I did leave university for a bit
Same here. I forced myself into doing 12+ hour study days during half-term because of her, and also copied her busywork, writing up incessant to-do lists and making flashcards (not necessarily busywork but for me they take too long to make compared to how effective they are). It made me start hating school and I got burnt out just like you. Thankfully I realised her routines are bs and one of my teachers encouraged me to use the methods that work for me and take a sustainable approach rather than trying to copy her. The gag is I ended up getting better grades than her with half of the effort. I genuinely wish I could reach out to everyone who compares themselves to her videos and feels bad about themselves and make them realise that her approach will probably make them perform less well and probably damage their mental health
It's great that you both were mature enough to realise that you were exhausting yourself and to change what was wrong with your routines (y)

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I wonder what MSt she ended up applying for? The one from 650 to 1550 has a 49% acceptance rate whilst the 1990s to present is much more competitive! https://www.admissionreport.com/university-of-oxford/mst-english

Anyway good for her! Honestly, as an Oxbridge grad, I can tell you especially for Masters, if you have high grades, some good recommendations and a decent statement, it's hard not to get in!

PS: anyway, glad I went to Cambridge and not Oxford lol Can't imagine me and Ruby being alums of the same uni :')
I think she applied for the 1550-1700 one, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: 4
Do we know, if she applied to Oxford after her bachelor's? (Before she decided to take a gap year).

Reactions: 4
I don't think she has the slightest idea of what she just got herself into. We all know she wants to remain a child, but getting your Masters at Oxford means having to outdo yourself, your previous works and impress your department beyond all measure. They want fresh, new ideas, not half-witted rehashes of material done to death. Nor do they want vague, chaotic themes and obscure papers. They will be looking for the best of the best.

She has been living her dream life, in a sense, living at home, hiding in her room, prancing around the fields, quoting poetry badly. I know she definitely felt out of the loop when everyone else went back to school in the fall and surely hated it. She was left out of the routine she prized in her childhood days. Her latest Instagram portrays that desperate clinging to childhood. That won't go over at Oxford, so I do believe she may be thrilled to be able to say she got in, but the reality is probably scaring the crap out of her. And it is possible she is weighing other schools to see what will be her best fit. None of them will be. Rugby is from her own madeup world. She will never fully appreciate the opportunities she receives and just keep announcing how privileged she is without actually doing something worthwhile with that advantage.

Just out of curiosity, what is it like to get your Masters at UK universities? In the US, the majority get their Masters later in life, later in their 20's or even 30's, depending on their career. They are working adults, often married and many times already have families. They are working full time and attending school, and it is chaotic and stressful. They live at their homes, commute to uni and then work very much on their own for their thesis. They also don't fit in, at all, with undergraduates and don't attempt to mix with them. They are past that stage. I am just curious if it is at all like that in the UK. If she thought Exeter was lonely, how is she going to handle graduate work and the isolation that usually comes with it? No Blakeney this time around! I don't see her faring well.

This was written by a friend of mine. It might give us some idea of what's in store for Ruby. :LOL:

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Oh Jade and Jack are absolutely losing it right now I’m sure. Ruby is annoying but Jade (and her brother) are like the red flags to my bull so I’m less happy for Rubes and more delighted that Jade is definitely having a meltdown and reconsidering her life choices.
I'm not sure that Jade will be that bothered. She seems so convinced about the "start-up" world (and despite what she says, she is an absolute corporate gorl), I can't see her going back into academia to the extent that Ruby is.
Jack might though, he seems to be having a meltdown about anything and everything !

Reactions: 18
I said it before and I'll say it again, I think the reason she's not bragging all over the internet about it is because she is absolutely terrified now it's become real. I'd be too if I was in her place since postgraduate courses are principally self-directed and she needs to latch onto a professor to be told what to research and what to focus on. She is lost without instant feedback and constant praise. Her dissertation was the closest she came to self-led study and research and she struggled so much with even picking a topic, then came out visibly unhappy with her result. And now all that will happen again in just three short terms - strap yourselves in!

(also it's now even more transparent and obvious that she only did her "traditional teaching job" for extra points on her CV and idk why but this made me lose even more respect for her)

Reactions: 27
I'm not sure that Jade will be that bothered. She seems so convinced about the "start-up" world (and despite what she says, she is an absolute corporate gorl), I can't see her going back into academia to the extent that Ruby is.
Jack might though, he seems to be having a meltdown about anything and everything !
Jade will absolutely be bothered. Any time she does anything good she goes 'From Oxford reject to xxx!' or 'If only Oxford could see me now!' and every results day she makes multiple posts about how she was rejected from Oxford. This will drive her insane, especially as I'm sure she sees herself as better than Ruby.

Reactions: 27
This morning Ruby posted a photo of a plant saying ‘the first bluebells of the season’ on her stories. However, they were not bluebells, they were hyacinths. It’s normal not to know it if you are not a plant person, but she was talking about an app to identify flowers and plants just yesterday and she didn’t bother to use it today because she is an AXXpert on nature apparently. She deleted the story half an hour later…

• Haha
Reactions: 44
Jade will absolutely be bothered. Any time she does anything good she goes 'From Oxford reject to xxx!' or 'If only Oxford could see me now!' and every results day she makes multiple posts about how she was rejected from Oxford. This will drive her insane, especially as I'm sure she sees herself as better than Ruby.
Not to diminish anyone’s achievements but it’s not nearly as hard to get into postgrad. I reckon both Jack and Jade would have a good chance if they tried.
Thriving is another matter…

Reactions: 17
Not to diminish anyone’s achievements but it’s not nearly as hard to get into postgrad. I reckon both Jack and Jade would have a good chance if they tried.
Jack Edwards has tried twice and still been rejected. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 36
Jack was rejected several times for a Masters.

He made a video crying about it, did a bunch of entitled moaning that they didn't accept him even though he was an "author" (of a crappy glorified study pamphlet), had a podcast (which was terrible and died after a handful of episodes) and had achieved success on YouTube (by pretending to read a lot and ripping off other people's content).

At no point did he ever come close to shedding any light on why he actually wanted to study at Oxford, or at all, which probably shone through in his application.

Reactions: 30
He made a video crying about it, did a bunch of entitled moaning that they didn't accept him even though he was an "author" (of a crappy glorified study pamphlet), had a podcast (which was terrible and died after a handful of episodes) and had achieved success on YouTube (by pretending to read a lot.
poor Jack. Must be hard being that entitled. How dare they didn't accept him?

• Haha
Reactions: 19
I don't see what interest Ruby has in manuscripts other than the aesthetic, or being honest, the early modern period as she is always been more Victorian/ Edwardian. I don't think that she has even ever spoke about being interested in this type of history /or literature. Could this explain the Latin learning? Do you think that she is going to be making Dark Academica fifteenth-century study routines? I know that she did an archive trip and she did make this whole thing about going to all the archives for her dissertation etc, but I thought that it would be normal English literature masters etc .

Oxford predictions anyone? How much will she or her hairline will regress?

• Heart
Reactions: 16
He’s a white male from a middle class area which probs won’t have helped (controversial but true and I know there’s no interview but they could have known other ways through ethnicity tick boxes etc). Not defending him though, he’s an entitled nightmare and bet the place went to someone a million times more deserving. Not the case for Erimenthea…

Reactions: 6
I don't see what interest Ruby has in manuscripts other than the aesthetic, or being honest, the early modern period as she is always been more Victorian/ Edwardian. I don't think that she has even ever spoke about being interested in this type of history /or literature. Could this explain the Latin learning? Do you think that she is going to be making Dark Academica fifteenth-century study routines? I know that she did an archive trip and she did make this whole thing about going to all the archives for her dissertation etc, but I thought that it would be normal English literature masters etc .

Oxford predictions anyone? How much will she or her hairline will regress?
I predict that her diet /lack of proper portions/ nutrition will get worse because she will be stressed and not at home.

Reactions: 7
I predict that her diet /lack of proper portions/ nutrition will get worse because she will be stressed and not at home.
And tbh I’ve heard Oxford encourages unhealthy study habits/study hours/focus on study which is probs even worse for someone prone to that

Reactions: 11
He’s a white male from a middle class area which probs won’t have helped (controversial but true and I know there’s no interview but they could have known other ways through ethnicity tick boxes etc). Not defending him though, he’s an entitled nightmare and bet the place went to someone a million times more deserving. Not the case for Erimenthea…
Really? I don’t think the fact that he is white/male/MC would have hindered his application whatsoever. Oxford is full of these types.

Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.