Ruby Granger #37 You can still get one while you can

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not so much for postgrad I think but undergrad is full of positive discrimination now especially as there’s an interview. Not so much at the time they all applied so I’m not suggesting that meant anything, of course Jade and Ruby didn’t get in either. . If he was super good it wouldn’t have made a difference though… Btw I’m neurodiverse and female, I’m not diminishing the real issues and disadvantages faced by minorities.
This isn’t true…

Reactions: 12
I think there will be a huge shock to her ego and sense of “highly gifted child” identity at Oxford. The more she talks in class, the more she’ll face critical analysis by others and that will feel hard. As for a PhD, there’s a high drop out rate because of the life it sucks from you. It’s heavily dependant on self motivation and structure and again, vivas are not fun experiences when you are defending your own work. Plus she’ll need to switch from copying others ideas to critically appraising things AND bringing new ideas to the table (for both masters and PhD). Other students won’t be over-enthused by her liberal use of language and tutors will see excessive contact as a negative thing. Still can’t quite believe they took her, but in some ways I hope it brings her down to earth and helps her move away from her perfect little clever girl identity.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
If that's the case, why her parents didn't offer her tutors before, for instance when she was so obviously struggling with her dissertation that it took her something like 20 drafts (the last one being finished 20 minutes before submission apparently)? Why aren't they offering her therapy now, when it's also obvious that she suffers from an ED?
Her parents (at least her mother) always seem to bury their head in the sand when it comes to Ruby: as long as the cash flows from YT, they consider their daughter happy & thriving.

Also, she doesn't work that much: she pretends to be working. Using four different planners in which to write down her assignment won't help her write them, and without someone like Blakeney she'll be totally lost and will have to forge brand-new routines if she wants to stand a chance.
However, we all know how rigid Ruby is about change... Her routines are the best because (1) she's the cleverest person on earth and forged them herself; (2) it helped her get a degree from Exeter (never mind Blakeney, we know she's the main reason Ruby graduated, but we're the only ones). So I can't see her changing a thing.

She'll probably be utterly happy for a few weeks, until she realises that she's in another environment and won't be able to reproduce her usual habits to succeed without trying too much. And then, she'll be miserable.
Like jisellejoly said Ruby simply didn't really struggle, or not enough to run to mommy and daddy and ask for help.
I'm pretty sure if she'll fail something she will RUN to her parents and they will provide her with all the resources she needs to complete her degree and more, because unlike many others they can.

Reactions: 4
She definitely left that card open for us to see. Thanks Ruby! We got sick of waiting for the announcement so we appreciate the easter egg within your latest vlog.

Reactions: 15
I feel like she will do ok at Oxford. It is really intense but she will put in the work. However, she will also realise there are people who are probably smarter than her and who will get higher marks whilst still having a full Oxford life experience. I don't know about her masters specifically, but in my masters at Cambridge only two people got distinctions, so I can see her throwing a tantrum if she doesn't top her programme or get one lol

As for PhD, getting in after an Oxbridge masters isn't hard if you find the right supervisor, and tbh, she can easily and will likely self-fund so she can do one! The most competitive part of masters and phd at Oxbridge is getting scholarships to fund your studies... but she doesn't need it :') I do know at PhD level it's better to have funding because it shows that you are a stronger candidate and it helps when applying to post-docs, but I don't think Ruby will care

Reactions: 17
At the end of the day, we all know she’s just going to push her education further and further to avoid real adult life. Masters then PhD then another undergrad most likely until she can’t delay it anymore and gets another half-assed, minimum hours job that she inevitably quits. Nothing wrong with wanting to pursue academia, but she’s only doing it to avoid adulthood and keep her studytuber existence above the water.

Yes she has financial security from her parents but what a miserable life. I hope Oxford wakes her up and shows her a life outside of LARPing dead authors and rotting in her childhood bedroom, but I believe it will only make her worse.

Reactions: 21
I'm not surprised she got in, the lack of interview meant 'Good On Paper Granger' had a solid chance. She knows how to play the game, sly as she may be. Academia isn't some holy ground served for the gifted, half of it is having the right connections and Ruby is a Grade A suck-up, so I won't be shocked if she performs adequately. I'm sure she can find one supervisor who will eat up her teacher's pet performance. No amount of Oxbridge firsts can convince me that she actually cares about her subject and she has two braincells to rub together, so I don't really care what she becomes. Let's hope she'll at least serve some good cringe content lol.

Reactions: 29
This also makes me realize how academia will continue to be a fun little activity for the elite and privileged. People like Ruby are perfect for preserving a certain type of knowledge (white and European). I mean, I'm not even surprised because Ruby isn't exactly the type of person to challenge the status quo. And academic institutions, aren't really for radical change. At their core, they thrive because of beneficiaries who want to continue to see themselves represented in history, the arts, and academic knowledge. This is why these institutions are so exclusive and expensive. It makes it way more difficult for a poor, working class student to pursue a degree without the safety net of wealth and other connections.

If you have imposter syndrome, I hope this helps you realize that a lot of these people just have advantages and benefit a lot from nepotism. They're not geniuses.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 40
This also makes me realize how academia will continue to be a fun little activity for the elite and privileged. People like Ruby are perfect for preserving a certain type of knowledge (white and European). I mean, I'm not even surprised because Ruby isn't exactly the type of person to challenge the status quo. And academic institutions, aren't really for radical change. At their core, they thrive because of beneficiaries who want to continue to see themselves represented in history, the arts, and academic knowledge. This is why these institutions are so exclusive and expensive. It makes it way more difficult for a poor, working class student to pursue a degree without the safety net of wealth and other connections.

If you have imposter syndrome, I hope this helps you realize that a lot of these people just have advantages and benefit a lot from nepotism. They're not geniuses.
In my country nowadays you don't see many rich people pursuing PhD's. PhD students are essentially State employees earning €1200 euros a month for at least four years after getting their Master's degree. If you have any other source of income you lose your stipend. Post-doc doesn't pay much better and researcher and teaching positions are terrible in terms of job security, career options and pay. My boyfriend is a PhD student and he's seriously reconsidering his choice of pursuing a doctorate despite the fact that he's, like, the definition of a scholar in his field of study.
Basically if you're rich and you have connections and a degree, you don't go into academia here. Much easier and more rewarding to find a cushy job in the private sector or in public governance thanks to daddy's connections than to go through decades of hard work that pays almost nothing. Or if they really want to go into academia they use their parents' money to move as far away from Italy as possible and go to uni abroad.

Reactions: 12
I'm wondering if the card is like a manifestation card?
You know how people write to themselves as sort of a future letter but also manifestation?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
I'm wondering if the card is like a manifestation card?
You know how people write to themselves as sort of a future letter but also manifestation?
Nah she’s confirmed in a YouTube comment. But I like the idea of that! :)
---
In my country nowadays you don't see many rich people pursuing PhD's. PhD students are essentially State employees earning €1200 euros a month for at least four years after getting their Master's degree. If you have any other source of income you lose your stipend. Post-doc doesn't pay much better and researcher and teaching positions are terrible in terms of job security, career options and pay. My boyfriend is a PhD student and he's seriously reconsidering his choice of pursuing a doctorate despite the fact that he's, like, the definition of a scholar in his field of study.
Basically if you're rich and you have connections and a degree, you don't go into academia here. Much easier and more rewarding to find a cushy job in the private sector or in public governance thanks to daddy's connections than to go through decades of hard work that pays almost nothing. Or if they really want to go into academia they use their parents' money to move as far away from Italy as possible and go to uni abroad.
Italy doesn’t have world renowned universities and research the same way as the UK/USA do though (although still excellent options) so I guess that’s the difference. There’s one good fashion one I think. Not being a dick about Italy, it has plenty of other world renowned stuff :)

Reactions: 4
I guess a masters and a doctorate will give her more years of pretending to be productive. As long as it gets her out of the bedroom...

Reactions: 9
Academia’s never been well paid anyway though- it’s only those who love it that go into it. It’s quite a nice cosy lifestyle though I think although apparently quite bitchy and competitive
---
There’s a student thread for general uni chat as a bit off topic to Ruby, but those fees are SO expensive now. I was the last of the £3000 cohort. Studying is expensive..

Reactions: 8
I am about as academically educated as one can get in my field (law). Bachelor, Masters, PhD. It doesn't really make a difference in my day to day work and it hasn't really given me that much more bargaining power when it comes to salary. A former employer liked the idea of having my profile on the firm's website with all the letters after my name. Now, literally no one cares and I would look like a twit if I signed off my name as Dr on work emails lol.
The only benefit is that I have been able to work within adult education. Only briefly, because I hated academia and prefer to be out working in my field rather than teaching it to others.

Reactions: 9
Academia’s never been well paid anyway though- it’s only those who love it that go into it. It’s quite a nice cosy lifestyle though I think although apparently quite bitchy and competitive
---
There’s a student thread for general uni chat as a bit off topic to Ruby, but those fees are SO expensive now. I was the last of the £3000 cohort. Studying is expensive..
Even paying £9,250, my lecturers have said the uni makes a loss on each home student and that we're all subsidised by international students. It's crazy though what universities tend to waste money on, so I take them with a pinch of salt when they say that.

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Even paying £9,250, my lecturers have said the uni makes a loss on each home student and that we're all subsidised by international students. It's crazy though what universities tend to waste money on, so I take them with a pinch of salt when they say that.
If this discussion gets too OT to Ruby can move to student thread https://tattle.life/threads/the-student-thread.33782/ but since the pandemic and remote work lecturers all want to teach online and just upload the lecture etc which is such a skive and spoils the uni experience. Imagine being an English student with only like 5 lectures a week and 3 of those are online 😮 you’d hardly meet anyone

Lol her latest TikTok has ghastly audio. Her audio on all vids across all platforms is actually terrible. The 'birdsong'? I can barely hear her voice over the wind. One commenter sums it up nicely:

RoobTik.JPG

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.